Time To End This Debate! — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Time To End This Debate!

Im tired of reading threads people comparing Gw2 vs wow or why wow have more viewers on twitch than gw2. This needs to stop. Im making this poll to end this once and for all!
Which GAME is the better GAME??

• I dont wanna to hear about player base nonsence. Of course its a Blizzard game. If Heroes of the Storm isnt a Blizzard game it would be dead by now.
  • Also no payment/subricption method reason why i play Guild wars 2. Like dude. Get a job. Then you can play any game you want.

• This Poll Is About which Game is the better GAME .

Time To End This Debate! 151 votes

Guild Wars 2
77% 117 votes
World of Warcraft
22% 34 votes
<1

Comments

• Kylden Ar.3724Kylden Ar.3724 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Dami.5046 said:
    Guildwars one was the better game, but i see no option.

^ Truth.

How many times we gotta tell you GRIND IS NOT CONTENT there ANet?

Leader of Tyrian Adventure Corp [TACO], [RaW][TACO] Alliance, Kaineng.

• aspirine.6852aspirine.6852 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Dami.5046 said:

This^^

• Cyninja.2954Cyninja.2954 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2019

Tbh, I like both, but my WoW time is long behind me. I prefer GW2 by a longshot over WoW, though I have quite a few friends who play WoW and keep trying to pull me back in.

I guess in the end it depends a lot on which part of the game you focus and how well you can cope with recurring grind and gear threadmill content.

Amount of content wise, WoW takes a lead. It would be unrealistic if not given the disparity in incomme and developers for each game.

Quality of content would be more difficult to judge. The developers at Arenanet always come up with some unique way to positively improve the game versus industry norms (see mounts and their cool implementation here). At least that's my opinion.

• Goettel.4389Goettel.4389 Member ✭✭✭✭

Apples & oranges.
    Playing both.

• zealex.9410zealex.9410 Member ✭✭✭✭

Older wow>gw1>current wow>gw2

• Rasimir.6239Rasimir.6239 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Dami.5046 said:

I still favor Dungeon Master

• EmmetOtter.8542EmmetOtter.8542 Member ✭✭✭

Ask this question on the wow forums and you would get a different result.

• Lexi.1398Lexi.1398 Member ✭✭✭

i mean, every game in the industry gets compared to WoW. WoW was far from the first, but it WAS the first to make MMO's popular to a greater audience, and no other MMO since can come remotely close to how WoW is marketed & perceived due to that marketting- ESO has begun to approach this, but still isn't close. WoW comparisons give me a head ache on every mmo i ever played.

• knomslayer.9457knomslayer.9457 Member ✭✭✭

@maddoctor.2738 said:
    You should make this poll one a more general gaming/ mmorpg forum. It's pointless to ask this here.

@Rendalmj.3152 said:

• Also no payment/subricption method reason why i play Guild wars 2. Like dude. Get a job. Then you can play any game you want.

You are saying that only people without a job play games without subscriptions?????

i think i get what op is trying to say is for example you have a job. you eat 3 times a day. breakfast lunch and dinner. save lunch money for one day so you can buy 1 month of subscription. thats what i did when i was playing wow

• Glider.5792Glider.5792 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2019

Now go on WoW forums and make the same thread ;)
    Same responses, except that it will favor to WoW ALOT more than it favor to GW here.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeFWMeskOJhk8N-SvOFCJXA
    Fractal speed kills, raids, Black Lion Chest Openings, random.

• trixantea.1230trixantea.1230 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2019

WoW is superior to GW2 in many aspects. If the game was just "Another Blizzard Cahsgrab" it wouldn't survive for 15 years as the most popular western MMORPG.

This vote doesn't have a meaning here. It is like going to FC Barcelonea headquarters and ask them to vote for their favorite soccer team.

• Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

You want a definitive answer to a subjective question which depends on personal preferences, from a large group of people? Never going to happen, even asking a heavily biased sample.

They're different games for different audiences. Neither needs to be objectively 'better' than the other. I completely understand why other people prefer WoW but in many cases the things they like are exactly the reasons I chose not to play it 15 years ago and have never wanted to play it at any time since. Gear grind being an obvious one - I understand that other people like the idea of always having a clear goal to aim for, and the reward of ever increasing numbers on their character sheet, but I'm the complete opposite - I much prefer the GW2 approach where after a relatively short time I'm finished with upgrading my stats and can forget about that and focus on what I want to do. (Similarly some people don't like that freedom, and the lack of direction that comes with it - I tried to show my dad Minecraft once and he wasn't happy until I told him the point of the game was to find and kill the Ender Dragon. To me that's a massive oversimplification and very restrictive, but he couldn't accept the idea of a game without a single specific objective to work towards.)

There's actually some things WoW does differently which, in theory, I prefer but I know it's not right for me. For example I really like the idea of needing to play with a regular group of people to progress, but I cannot commit to being online regularly, even 1 day a week and would find it frustrating if I did have time to play but couldn't do the thing I needed to progress because it wasn't 'raid night' or whatever. GW2's system where I can play with my guild if they're online, or on my own or with whoever happens to be around and it works out the same either way works much better for me.

So for me I much prefer GW2. I heard about WoW when it was first announced (big WC1-3 fan) and by the time it was released I'd worked out it wasn't right for me. I actually decided I'd never be able to play an MMO (having previously given up on Ultima Online for similar reasons) but not long after that I discovered GW1 and realised that suited me perfectly.

But I have friends who hated GW2 and absolutely love WoW and I'm not going to waste my time or theirs trying to convince them they're wrong because...they're not wrong, they just like different kinds of games and that is ok. (Occasionally I have met people who had completely the wrong idea about GW2 - like a friend who heard it was published by NCSoft and assumed it was an anime themed Korean grinder - in that case I will correct them, but I'm still not going to pressure people to play a game they won't enjoy just because I do.)

Danielle Aurorel - Desolation EU. Mini Collector.

"I know that I'm born and I know that I'll die, the in-between is mine."

@knomslayer.9457 said:

@maddoctor.2738 said:
    You should make this poll one a more general gaming/ mmorpg forum. It's pointless to ask this here.

@Rendalmj.3152 said:

You are saying that only people without a job play games without subscriptions?????

i think i get what op is trying to say is for example you have a job. you eat 3 times a day. breakfast lunch and dinner. save lunch money for one day so you can buy 1 month of subscription. thats what i did when i was playing wow

I'd rather play a game I prefer which doesn't charge me to log in after I've already bought it, and then have that subscription money left over to buy something else. ;)

• I'm sure this is going to be a very conclusive poll!
    And while we're at it let's also discuss some other questions like pineapple on pizza? Chicken or egg first?

Dude, people have their own personal preferances, they don't always make sense and they don't have to. Some people like nutella with ketchup, some people like wow, some people like fortnite. Who cares?

I think wow has some great elements and some not so great elements and so does every other game (Except for Divinity OS I & II, they are flawless!).
    Everyone who is playing GW2 probably weighs the great elements in this game higher than those of some other games or maybe he/she just can't afford paying for wow every month or maybe he/she just has more friends playing GW2 than wow or whatever.

Personally I've tried wow and having played WC3 excessively I didn't enjoy where the story went with wow. Before I started playing GW2 I had played many different mmos, mostly Asian f2p garbage that was fun until you've reached the point where every progress just depends on your wallet and when they announced GW2 as a pay once get all you need kinda game it just looked perfect to me. So I started playing GW2 in the beta, had a lot of fun and somehow I just keep coming back to it no matter how many times I take breaks from GW2. It's by no means the best game, not even close but it is a game that is very comfortable to play as an mmo, you never really feel like you're missing out and it's just very easy to start after a break and nothing ever really changes. Which is at the same time its greatest downside because that is precisely the reason why I keep taking breaks from this game, it is just not captivating at all - with the time-locked maps nothing seems to matter, on the one map joko is dead, patheticely eaten by some dragon whelp. And on another map joko is some completely untouchable threat whoms power you couldn't grasp even in your dreams. And that doesn't change at any point. Jokos "invasion" much like the braded "invasion" didn't do anything... sure some portals pop up here and there and then you get to kill a few things but they never do anything, nothing happens if those events fail - they don't capture villages, settlements or cities, they don't destroy anyhting.
    I miss stuff like scarlets attack on lions arch, that was something I absolutely didn't want to miss, it was great! Now I feel like it doesn't matter when I take a break from the game... all I have to do is log in once when a new episode is released just so that I don't have to pay for it later and thats it.

tldr: No game is perfect for everyone, maybe gw2 is perfect for you, maybe some other game is but ultimately nothing matters this poll is useless thanks for your attention go grab a beer (or soda if you're not of legal age).

As the old worlds fall behind
    Our spirit reaches wide
    With no fear breathing new life
    Awaken from the dark dark slumber

Wintersun - Awaken from the dark slumber (Spring) - Part II The Awakening

• DeanBB.4268DeanBB.4268 Member ✭✭✭✭

Sorry, I can't vote, no choices for those who haven't played WoW.

X__________________________
    (Signature Required)

• Zuldari.3940Zuldari.3940 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2019

@trixantea.1230 said:
    WoW is superior to GW2 in many aspects. If the game was just "Another Blizzard Cahsgrab" it wouldn't survive for 15 years as the most popular western MMORPG.

This vote doesn't have a meaning here. It is like going to FC Barcelonea headquarters and ask them to vote for their favorite soccer team.

Exactly, imo wow is a better game. You have a lot of endgame and a huge amount of zones and story to go through. GW2 is better visually and has a combat system i like better, and the lw stories are nice, and the mounts that have a purpose. But im not going to deceive myself thinking its a better game, its fine for what it is, i mean its b2p if you get the expansions so i cant complain i guess.

Personally i think the worst thing a game can do is try to be a wow killer, they all fail. GW2 needs to just stay away from that its a super casual game that you can play at leisure without any stress about , omg i have to get this and that and raid and become a gladiator. WoW is very competitive, gw2 is very relaxed, just dont relax it so much it becomes comatose Devs.

Coo! Quaggan Love's You! ♥♥♥

• Zaklex.6308Zaklex.6308 Member ✭✭✭✭

They are two different games, there fore neither one is better than the other...the only thing they have in common is they're both MMO's...after that, they're pretty different, and don't try and tell me they aren't, it starts with art style and goes from there.

Yes...no...maybe...what do you want, can't you see I'm busy saving the world...AGAIN!

• Asking what is better in a Forum for Guild Wars 2 . Most people that play wow probably haven't heard of Guild Wars2. The only good thing about Guild Wars 2 is its b2p and you can leave /pickup everytime whenever you want. You should ask the question, would you rather play wow or Guild Wars2 if you must pay a 13 Euro Subscription fee every month.

• Endless Soul.5178Endless Soul.5178 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Rendalmj.3152 said:

I have a job. A well paying, full time job, and I still choose Guild Wars 2.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Bekka | Akee | Feyyt | Nuumy | Tylee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Sixx | Claara | Conii | Jymm | Synn | Zeena

Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade but your soul is endless

• Wizler.8192Wizler.8192 Member ✭✭✭

@Goettel.4389 said:
    Apples & oranges.
    Playing both.

I played Guild Wars before WoW but I enjoyed my time (and friends) in WoW. But I've always like the GW universe/graphics better and I only have time for one MMO these days so I stick with GW2.

• Ototo.3214Ototo.3214 Member ✭✭✭

Mmm, it's going to be a biased poll since it's posted on the GW2 forums...where you're more likely to get responses from people that play GW2 instead of WoW

• zealex.9410zealex.9410 Member ✭✭✭✭

@knomslayer.9457 said:

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@Rendalmj.3152 said:

Also a bunch of ppl apparently spend money on gems monthly some spend around 10 bucks, others more, for those ppl a sub based mmo would make so much more sense.

• GW2 was the better game
    Devs forgot WvW existed and now it's not because everybody is bored and waiting for alliances is like waiting for the new Tool album

• Menadena.7482Menadena.7482 Member ✭✭✭✭

What a surprise, GW2 is leading. As to cost it is not the price as much, I do not like game subscriptions at all, wow could charge a penny a year and I would still have a problem with it. Charge whatever you think your game is worth and let that be the end of it. I want to feel free to play as much or as little as I want.

New to the game? Feel free to give a yell if you need PVE help.

• Rauderi.8706Rauderi.8706 Member ✭✭✭✭

Leaves out FFXIV, so the results are tainted.

Many alts! Handle it!

"A condescending answer might as well not be an answer at all."
    -Eloc Freidon.5692

• A poll like this made in the GW2 forums is like a poll about veggies VS meat, conducted in a vegan restaurant.

• Donari.5237Donari.5237 Member ✭✭✭✭

Good luck with that "final settling" part. A few people clicking an opinion in an ANet forum is going to do nothing to quash the discussion. Nor should it -- though these forums may not be the best place to foment or continue the debate.

• SlateSloan.3654SlateSloan.3654 Member ✭✭✭

lol do this poll on a wow forum and you get the result vice versa.

And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'not today'.

@TwilightSoul.9048 said:
    Some people like nutella with ketchup,

Do they though? Does anyone, anywhere really like that? (And if so what's wrong with them?)

• Silly poll is silly, so my vote goes to Trails in the Sky. All three of them at once.

• WoW is old af and the combat gameplay there is worse.

• James.1032James.1032 Member ✭✭

I voted WoW for the drama. You're really asking if WoW or GW2 is better on the GW2 forums. LOL.

• calb.3128calb.3128 Member ✭✭✭

GW2 is flexible and forgiving enough to fit into my life, not the other way around. I've dipped in and out of WoW, but it's not compatible with the other demands and interests in my life.

Ergo, on the basis that the better game is the one you can play and enjoy, it's GW2 for me.

• Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭

Comparing apples to oranges.

I hate the comic art of WoW, hence I've never touched it. So I can't judge which game plays better. This poll is pointless from many perspectives.

• @Danikat.8537 said:

@TwilightSoul.9048 said:
    Some people like nutella with ketchup,

Do they though? Does anyone, anywhere really like that? (And if so what's wrong with them?)

Yes.

A girl I knew back in school loved it for some reason... But yeah, people like different things.
    I absolutely hate lemon + chokolate as ice cream flavor combination even though almost everyone I know loves it so I kinda understand both sides although I admit that ketchup + nutella combination is especially ridiculous :)

As the old worlds fall behind
    Our spirit reaches wide
    With no fear breathing new life
    Awaken from the dark dark slumber

Wintersun - Awaken from the dark slumber (Spring) - Part II The Awakening

• Crab Fear.1624Crab Fear.1624 Member ✭✭✭✭

No need to debate. Look at earnings for objective conclusions. Everything else is feelings.

Soon™ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• they are different type of mmorpg. why need to compare which is better then the others.

• Palador.2170Palador.2170 Member ✭✭✭✭

WoW is clearly the better of the two games.
    WoW is also the worse of the two games.

Lip synching is just mime karaoke.

• Dear OP,
    i don't even know what to say.
    So you go to a GW2 Forum and ask who is better, GW2 or WOW........ brilliant.
    Who would have thought that GW2 got more votes. While we are at it, we could also go to Manchester United Fans and ask, what's better: Soccer or Basketball.

You didn't even ask the more important question first: GW1 vs GW2
    After this has been done, there is no need anymore to ask is GW2 is better than WoW.

• Naxos.2503Naxos.2503 Member ✭✭✭

@Kurrilino.2706 said:
    Dear OP,
    i don't even know what to say.
    So you go to a GW2 Forum and ask who is better, GW2 or WOW........ brilliant.
    Who would have thought that GW2 got more votes. While we are at it, we could also go to Manchester United Fans and ask, what's better: Soccer or Basketball.

You didn't even ask the more important question first: GW1 vs GW2
    After this has been done, there is no need anymore to ask is GW2 is better than WoW.

I think that's his point, there are so many WoW posts and WoW references, you'd be forgiven for thinking it's a WoW classic forum. Which to be fair is Very frustrating.

• TheBravery.9615TheBravery.9615 Member ✭✭✭

If you were to post this on WoW forum they would ask: "What's Guild wars 2?"

• knomslayer.9457knomslayer.9457 Member ✭✭✭

@TheBravery.9615 said:
    If you were to post this on WoW forum they would ask: "What's Guild wars 2?"

Exactly. There was a thread about gw2 in wow forum years ago. People there just laugh and troll about Gw2 rather than having a discussion/opinion about the game lmao

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.