Lightbinder Blade appears ripped from Rift Concept Art — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Lightbinder Blade appears ripped from Rift Concept Art

It looks like the Lightbinder Blade model is based upon concept art for the MMORPG Rift.

Side by side: https://imgur.com/a/DNViRF0#sr5dVx4
Concept art from game's site: http://community.riftgame.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Guardian_warrior_wep.jpg

I don't know if the same artist is responsible, or if this is alright, but I am concerned about copyright infringement here. The designs are too similar for this to be a coincidence.

Comments

• DonArkanio.6419DonArkanio.6419 Member ✭✭✭✭

Just wow. What a shame.
    The Rift is pretty dead and I guess they decided to take some adventage of it? I don't know. This doesn't seem fair. Even if it's the same artist, I guess the artwork and design is game's property.
    woa

• The model from the concept art is in the game as an item you can aquire: https://telaradb.com/#/appearances/1554667221

• Shep.4026Shep.4026 Member ✭✭✭

I have to agree. The similarity is astonishing.

• Dante.1763Dante.1763 Member ✭✭✭✭

I wish i could view the links! every freaking time theres a link that leads to an exteranal website i get the "Page not found" T.T

Amana Silentchild; My Main
    Ember Wandertooth; The Kingslayer, Kianda Redpaw; The Blazing Light
    Why GW is Called Guildwars

edited August 14, 2019

@Dante.1763 said:
    I wish i could view the links! every freaking time theres a link that leads to an exteranal website i get the "Page not found" T.T

Copy-paste it directly to the searching tab. ^^

@DonArkanio.6419 said:

@Dante.1763 said:

I did earlier, the imgur page wasnt loading at all regardless, anywho browser restart fixed it.

Those are idiotically similiar.

@Dante.1763 said:

@DonArkanio.6419 said:

@Dante.1763 said:

I did earlier, the imgur page wasnt loading at all regardless, anywho browser restart fixed it.

Those are idiotically similiar.

Right? I really don't like where this is going. Drawing inspiration from other games seems fine but this is just identical.

• @Donutdude.9582 said:
    The subtle differences make the two weapons unique.

I do not believe it to be a copy.

lol

anet better deletes this, good thing Trion doesn't have money for lawyers.

• https://imgur.com/a/dqRI6bX - found it in-game from a PvP vendor, dual wielding. The only thing that really separate the two are the particle effects on the weapon blade.

@rabenpriester.7129 said:
    anet better deletes this, good thing Trion doesn't have money for lawyers.

Rift and all of Trion's assets and games are now owned by Gamigo.

• Naxos.2503Naxos.2503 Member ✭✭✭

I'm willing to be skeptic, but those are Mighty similar indeed.

• Shep.4026Shep.4026 Member ✭✭✭

The design of the handle with that crouching figure whose wings form the upper half of the blade. I want it to be coincidence, but by the Gods of both Tyria and Telara, it ain't easy^^

• Sir Alric.5078Sir Alric.5078 Member ✭✭✭

@Donutdude.9582 said:
    The subtle differences make the two weapons unique.

I agree. As long as they aren't 100% identical copies, i don't see a iussue with how similar they look.

• zealex.9410zealex.9410 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 14, 2019

Insert "can i copy your work? Yeah, but change it a little so it doesnt apear the same" meme

Edit: forgot the obligatory Yikes

• Astralporing.1957Astralporing.1957 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 14, 2019

Even if it would be the same artist (which it almost certainly isn't) it would not be okay, unless they bought the rights from whoever is running Rifts these days, or both are based on some earlier (and non-copyrighted) work. More likely, though, someone at Anet used a shortcut without telling anyone - because, even with my opinion about GW2 being really low now, i simply don't believe that would have been allowed if someone besides artist knew of it.

I hope Anet'll address this fast, before it blows up into something major.

The whole point of a social game is to play with the people you want to play with, not be forced to play with the people you don't.

• It may also be a case of some kind of unconscious memory : the designer see that design once, forget about it and somewhat re-use it for himself unknowingly.

@Blanche Neige.7241 said:
    It may also be a case of some kind of unconscious memory : the designer see that design once, forget about it and somewhat re-use it for himself unknowingly.

Regardless of how or why, its to similar to another game, and that -could- cause problems.

• Blocki.4931Blocki.4931 Member ✭✭✭✭

The only thing I find suspicious is the grip. The segmented blade design isn't a new concept, so they just tend to look very similar in that regard.

Bite me.

• Josiah.2967Josiah.2967 Member ✭✭✭

I loved Rift. I bought it. It reminded me of Rift, yet it was different enough for me.

• Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 14, 2019

I was willing to be sceptical then I took a closer look and saw the figure holding up the blade.
    I'm not wholly against it, but it just continues to show Anet have no wish to create an identity of their own with skins and instead cast their net wide for inspiration and basically grab everything whether it fits or not (more often than not we get things unsuited to the GW World. And they wonder why players accuse them of not caring about their own game)

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

• Jethro.9376Jethro.9376 Member ✭✭✭

Yeah this really looks to similar to be just a coincident.

Why not copy Rifts PvP modes instead :'(

• Ashen.2907Ashen.2907 Member ✭✭✭✭

Really close.

That one on the right is gorgeous. The one on the left would be without the energy effect on the blade. Which is the gw2 model?

• zealex.9410zealex.9410 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Ashen.2907 said:
    Really close.

That one on the right is gorgeous. The one on the left would be without the energy effect on the blade. Which is the gw2 model?

Not the gorgeous one. Anet has a strong desire to take nicel weapon models and add all kinds of glow of them.

• Astrolicus.3716Astrolicus.3716 Member ✭✭✭

Wow. I'm totally shocked for such revelation, I can't believe that devs stole it from another game. That's totally disgusting and pathetic.

/Sarcasm.

• @zealex.9410 said:

@Ashen.2907 said:
    Really close.

Not the gorgeous one. Anet has a strong desire to take nicel weapon models and add all kinds of glow of them.

It makes them glowrious!

@zealex.9410 said:

@Ashen.2907 said:
    Really close.

Bummer.

Missed opportunity for a weapon that is elegant without being simplistic. I love the level of detail but the addition of yet more light show kills it for me.

• I knew that looked familiar. I have the Rift art book somewhere at home.

Away with funeral music
    set the pipe to powerful lips
    The cup of life's for them that drink
    and not for them that sip

• miraude.2107miraude.2107 Member ✭✭✭

All the people sitting here saying they ripped off Rift while I've seen so many versions of this I can't even place the first time I've seen it. I wanna say one of the Final Fantasy games. Then there's Penny from RWBY, I think there was a Magic the Gathering card, and I never forgot that annoying blade monster that was a giant sword with blades around it in SotT. Didn't Runescape or Everquest have something like that too?

• Hashberry.4510Hashberry.4510 Member ✭✭✭

Artist borrow concepts and styles all the time. Where we be without the folks who learned from Frazzetta, for instance. Good thing the Romans are not around to carp in the internet. =)

@miraude.2107 said:
    All the people sitting here saying they ripped off Rift while I've seen so many versions of this I can't even place the first time I've seen it.

And yet the examples you've given are significantly different.

The whole point of a social game is to play with the people you want to play with, not be forced to play with the people you don't.

@Hashberry.4510 said:
    Artist borrow concepts and styles all the time. Where we be without the folks who learned from Frazzetta, for instance. Good thing the Romans are not around to carp in the internet. =)

Learning doesnt mean 95% copying. The art world is very stingy when it comes to copy artists.

This is very very close. Not just similar.

edited August 14, 2019

@miraude.2107 said:
    All the people sitting here saying they ripped off Rift while I've seen so many versions of this I can't even place the first time I've seen it. I wanna say one of the Final Fantasy games. Then there's Penny from RWBY, I think there was a Magic the Gathering card, and I never forgot that annoying blade monster that was a giant sword with blades around it in SotT. Didn't Runescape or Everquest have something like that too?

But this isn't borrowing from the design. This looks like a copy. So what's with the defending?

This weapon was created after the one in Rift. And it's just as identical as it gets. It's cool to draw inspiration from different sources but this is a straight rip off. Isn't it?

The artists here walk a very risky path.
    While I love the artstyle od GW2, this is unacceptable to me and I want to know what's behind this weapon. I think some people (including me) want answers.

• Inculpatus cedo.9234Inculpatus cedo.9234 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 15, 2019

@AgentMoore.9453 said:
    In case anyone is curious, this weapon's design was placed up for sale (royalty-free) in 2018 (for $28 dollars), presumably by the artist who originally made it.

Because it's royalty-free, that means Rift and ArenaNet both may have legitimately bought it.

EDIT: The Rift concept art, however, is (supposedly) from 2012. Interpret that how you will. More deets here.

We can't use hyperlinks. Can you edit your post?

Perhaps, the artist has sold his wares elsewhere for a longer period of time.

Edit: Seems Vanilla fixed the link issue, at last.

• AgentMoore.9453AgentMoore.9453 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 15, 2019

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:
    We can't use hyperlinks.

A flaw in the GW2 forum, I'm afraid; Hopefully it's being worked on.

In the meantime, you can click the red text in a post (or a link if there is one) and then copy+paste the url provided into your browser to bypass the problem.

EDIT: Actually, I just tried clicking both of my hyperlinks and, after the 'you are leaving the website!' page, I was able to go to the websites just fine. Perhaps it's been resolved after all.

• I know the issue with Vanilla; my suggestion saves us having to do so.
    Up to you, of course.

• @AgentMoore.9453 said:

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:
    We can't use hyperlinks.

A flaw in the GW2 forum, I'm afraid; Hopefully it's being worked on.

In the meantime, you can click the red text in a post (or a link if there is one) and then copy+paste the url provided into your browser to bypass the problem.

EDIT: Actually, I just tried clicking both of my hyperlinks and, after the 'you are leaving the website!' page, I was able to go to the websites just fine. Perhaps it's been resolved after all.

What device are you using? For me, it works fine on my phone but not on my desktop - so I guess either it's depends on whether you're using the mobile version, or perhaps it's browser-dependent.

• miraude.2107miraude.2107 Member ✭✭✭

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@miraude.2107 said:
    All the people sitting here saying they ripped off Rift while I've seen so many versions of this I can't even place the first time I've seen it.

And yet the examples you've given are significantly different.

@DonArkanio.6419 said:

@miraude.2107 said:

But this isn't borrowing from the design. This looks like a copy. So what's with the defending?

This weapon was created after the one in Rift. And it's just as identical as it gets. It's cool to draw inspiration from different sources but this is a straight rip off. Isn't it?

The artists here walk a very risky path.
    While I love the artstyle od GW2, this is unacceptable to me and I want to know what's behind this weapon. I think some people (including me) want answers.

>
    >
    I'm not defending anything. I'm talking about the whole thing. The blade wings and the 'unique' design of the sword which I'm kitten sure I've seen before in some iteration and it wasn't from Rift and it frustrates me that I can't place it because I know that sword design wasn't unique to Rift. Besides finding a version that is for sale that was posted last year in a 3d shop; I've seen that, angelish person where the wings become the blade of the sword design and I've spent around two hours so far googling the games I used to play obsessively as a kid, Chrono Cross, FF8, FF9, Legend of Dragoon, Legend of Mana, Dragon Quest, Skies of Arcadia Legends, Final Fantasy: Chrystal Chronicles, any Castlevania game I could grab, Phantasy Star Online 2 and dozens of others. For some reason though, I remember the design being like a two-hander weapon. Overall, all I've found is my love for Skies of Aracadia Legends hasn't simmered at all in 17 years and I'd throw all my money at a Switch port or a graphic remastered version. I guess I'll be happy with Crystal Chronicles,

• Rinn.2375Rinn.2375 Member ✭✭

Oh come on! Even a lazy google search bring up dozens of designs like this. Even from real life. The fantasy design busines heavily depend on the medieval designs. If you search for a real source for this you have to look up some dagger designs. There are plenty. Even with dragon wings.

Need a functional brain for asura researchers. I mean it! The last 10 story steps I made in the game were started, included or concluded with the "an asura really really kittened it up" plot twist :P

• @Rinn.2375 said:
    Oh come on! Even a lazy google search bring up dozens of designs like this. Even from real life. The fantasy design busines heavily depend on the medieval designs. If you search for a real source for this you have to look up some dagger designs. There are plenty. Even with dragon wings.

Please link us to even one such example on Google. I tried, being curious if this could be a real world sword which both referenced, but failed to come up with something similar.

@Rinn.2375 said:
    Oh come on! Even a lazy google search bring up dozens of designs like this.

It's not "a design like it". It is the same design. The chances of it being accidental is exactly zero. Either one of the artists ripped off of another, or they both used the same other design as basis. If you say it is the second case, why won't you point us to that earlier design? (the previous person that said so brought up designs that were significantly different, not as close as the one in the OP post).

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.