So what is even the future of this game? - Page 2 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

So what is even the future of this game?

Comments

• Vieux P.1238Vieux P.1238 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 15, 2019

@Aaralyna.3104 said:
    Dulfy and Streamers.... Keep in mind people also have real lifes. You cannot expect them to create content 24/7 all the time or set aside real life things that are more important. I read that Dulfy did not abandonned but that she simply was too busy in real life atm. Besides there are plenty of guides around (reddit, wiki,...). As for streamers, people never stick at just 1 game (especially gw2 is good to combine with other games). Why is a streamer not allowed to check out some hype game when all other players can? Most even said they will still play gw2 and make content regarding but not as frequent as before (or not as partner).

Your argument would stand if only there was content to be created 24/7. But with Gw2, that's just not the case is it now... Your lucky to get anything to steam about or wright about every 3 to 4 months. If your lucky.. I get it that Dulfy has Real life things going on, but i seriously doubt that 's what keeping her from updating Gw2. Especially since she has updated ESO last Jan 16. As for Gw2 she has not updated since April 30. To me, that just looks like Dulfy abandoned Gw2 all together & is playing & updating ESO instead. Just another clear statistic Among other content creators.

Winter Nerf is coming!

• Linken.6345Linken.6345 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Vieux P.1238 said:

@Aaralyna.3104 said:
    Dulfy and Streamers.... Keep in mind people also have real lifes. You cannot expect them to create content 24/7 all the time or set aside real life things that are more important. I read that Dulfy did not abandonned but that she simply was too busy in real life atm. Besides there are plenty of guides around (reddit, wiki,...). As for streamers, people never stick at just 1 game (especially gw2 is good to combine with other games). Why is a streamer not allowed to check out some hype game when all other players can? Most even said they will still play gw2 and make content regarding but not as frequent as before (or not as partner).

Your argument would stand if only there was content to be created 24/7. But with Gw2, that's just not the case is it now... Your lucky to get anything to steam about or wright about every 3 to 4 months. If your lucky.. I get it that Dulfy has Real life things going on, but i seriously doubt that 's what keeping her from updating Gw2. Especially since she has updated ESO last Jan 16. As for Gw2 she has not updated since April 30. To me, that just looks like Dulfy abandoned Gw2 all together & is playing & updating ESO instead. Just another clear statistic Among other content creators.

How is something updated 3½ months before somehow the game they are playing and updating?
    You do know that january is at the start of the year and april is 1 third into said year right?

• Vieux P.1238Vieux P.1238 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Linken.6345 said:

@Vieux P.1238 said:

@Aaralyna.3104 said:

How is something updated 3½ months before somehow the game they are playing and updating?
    You do know that january is at the start of the year and april is 1 third into said year right?

Your actually right.. So i guess that point is out the window.

Winter Nerf is coming!

• Leablo.2651Leablo.2651 Member ✭✭✭

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:
    Origin of the game's name:

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/The_Guild_Wars
    The Guild Wars were a series of military conflicts between the human kingdoms of the northern continent that finally ended in 1070 AE. When considered separately, they are known as the First, Second, and Third Guild Wars.
    The Third Guild War came to an abrupt and brutal end by the emergence of an even greater threat. The Charr invaded the human kingdoms, ...

That is not the origin of the name.

• Hashberry.4510Hashberry.4510 Member ✭✭✭

@JTGuevara.9018 said:
    I can't say that I'm surprised by some of the responses here.

When I emphasize group content, I mean content that actually requires people to group up to complete; content that motivates people to cooperate. I thought that's what MMOs were about, cooperation. If there's no cooperation, then what's the point of an MMO? Just play a single-player games. Yes, there are open world meta events, but they require little cooperation except for something along the lines of 2 or more players on the same map agreeing to keep pressing 1 on a boss because you can't obviously do it by yourself due to the high HP pools. Only the HoT metas require cooperation... but people tend not to like those.... Still, that's hardly enough to sustain people playing over the long-term, metas get stale after a while. People really just play them for the loot, not because the meta has unique mechanics! If you don't believe me, the upcoming boss rush confirms this notion. Fractals and raids are group content, but they are locked for new or beginner players. Also, where is the guild content? You would think for a game called Guild Wars, there would be more stuff for guilds. Apparently not. Where are the guild missions? Where are the guild functions?

spvp has been decimated with the focus on the single-player as well as almost completely neglected. spvp removed the team queues, the ability to play as a GROUP, making conquest spvp completely pointless as a game mode. Why even bother playing when you or a friend can just troll the matches for the rest of your allies? Why even try? And people have the nerve to protect this? So-called "competitive" pvp is nothing but a cash grab farm for gold and gear. Tournaments are just a consolation prize being that they're every two hours, it's not enough.

wvw has been completely silent on alliances for over a year and a half.

You know, when I see that gw2 has laid off about 1/3 of its workforce, releases content and updates at a snail's pace, gw2 not communicating its direction.... maybe...just MAYBE there's room for questions about the state of the game....but no.... "Don't worry about it! Enjoy the gemstore!" "gw2 is steady chugging along as usual!!"….But no....I'm just a veteran, what do I know? Players just come and go right? Yeah...until they don't....

This is poorly stated, particular the noise about pressing one. Its not your style of mmo is all, how many years does it take to figure that out?

• JTGuevara.9018JTGuevara.9018 Member ✭✭✭

@Hashberry.4510 said:

@JTGuevara.9018 said:
    I can't say that I'm surprised by some of the responses here.

When I emphasize group content, I mean content that actually requires people to group up to complete; content that motivates people to cooperate. I thought that's what MMOs were about, cooperation. If there's no cooperation, then what's the point of an MMO? Just play a single-player games. Yes, there are open world meta events, but they require little cooperation except for something along the lines of 2 or more players on the same map agreeing to keep pressing 1 on a boss because you can't obviously do it by yourself due to the high HP pools. Only the HoT metas require cooperation... but people tend not to like those.... Still, that's hardly enough to sustain people playing over the long-term, metas get stale after a while. People really just play them for the loot, not because the meta has unique mechanics! If you don't believe me, the upcoming boss rush confirms this notion. Fractals and raids are group content, but they are locked for new or beginner players. Also, where is the guild content? You would think for a game called Guild Wars, there would be more stuff for guilds. Apparently not. Where are the guild missions? Where are the guild functions?

spvp has been decimated with the focus on the single-player as well as almost completely neglected. spvp removed the team queues, the ability to play as a GROUP, making conquest spvp completely pointless as a game mode. Why even bother playing when you or a friend can just troll the matches for the rest of your allies? Why even try? And people have the nerve to protect this? So-called "competitive" pvp is nothing but a cash grab farm for gold and gear. Tournaments are just a consolation prize being that they're every two hours, it's not enough.

wvw has been completely silent on alliances for over a year and a half.

You know, when I see that gw2 has laid off about 1/3 of its workforce, releases content and updates at a snail's pace, gw2 not communicating its direction.... maybe...just MAYBE there's room for questions about the state of the game....but no.... "Don't worry about it! Enjoy the gemstore!" "gw2 is steady chugging along as usual!!"….But no....I'm just a veteran, what do I know? Players just come and go right? Yeah...until they don't....

This is poorly stated, particular the noise about pressing one. Its not your style of mmo is all, how many years does it take to figure that out?

It's not poorly stated, you just don't like it. I challenge you or any opposing opinion to find any falsehood in what I've said. As I said about metas, they require little cooperation besides people being in the same place and pressing 1 and coordinating lanes. Not much more than that. People are self-sufficient in combat and boss encounters and mechanics revolve mainly around dodging AoE attacks.

• Perhaps it's an unpopular opinion, but touching on the topic of the Living Story, I, for one, would rather enjoy a full season available to me from the get-go rather than having to wait X-amount of months for a 1-2 hour episode to launch. At least then I have control over how I want to spend my time going through the content. I can choose to rush through it in a week or I can spread it out. At least by having it all in one, it feels more like an expansion without it being one. Plus, I forget too much of the story waiting between episodes that I never really get engaged in it.

• Tsakhi.8124Tsakhi.8124 Member ✭✭✭

Death. /sarcasm

Seriously, this is actually discouraging. I shouldn't be affected by this, but, it's like, I have spent money on this game, to hear that it's "stale" and "not doing well" makes me feel beyond depressed. Add to that I truly love this game and wouldn't be spending my money on it if I didn't like it. Yeah, I know, being depressed over this is stupid, but...Maybe a break from the forum is required.

(feeds everyone yummy food)

Want some pancakes?

• **Hopefully ** this conference at the end of this month gives us a few things to look forward to and a better insight to the 'future' content or something even better.

I also agree that there is not much end game content which are challenging and rewarding at the same time but that is my opinion. People will come and go all the time on this game as do I.
    But I always find my self coming back to this game

• Dreamy Lu.3865Dreamy Lu.3865 Member ✭✭✭✭

My personal opinion: GW2 will continue, just like GW1 is doing, unless the business cases are no more valuable to Anet and they stop them. For GW2 - like for GW1 that is a living concrete example - players who get bored will go to other games while players who are happy as is will keep playing.

I believe it's the same for all games: The life curve over time is more or less the same for all. The games just keep going as long as the owner makes profit out of them, in one way or another. Once they have a more recent product, they slow down on supporting the old ones, focus on the "hot" one, however keeping the old ones alive if it makes sense (can be for different reasons, not only financial). The longevity of GW1 is a living proof of that. :)

All in all, I would say to just enjoy as long as we like it, change game once you don't get enough of it anymore, and time will tell.

I'm out of my mind, feel free to leave a message...

• Burnfall.9573Burnfall.9573 Member ✭✭✭✭

'There is no future without a past, because what is to be cannot be imagine except as a form or repetition'

• otto.5684otto.5684 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 16, 2019

@JTGuevara.9018 said:
    I ask this question because although obviously gw2 is not dead, it is in trouble. The more I play this game, the more it becomes a single-player, cash grab, WoW "killer", like every other typical MMO. Where's the plan concerning gw2 as it stands? Sure there is living world- s5, but....then what? How long can this game survive with just living world and gem store? I actually don't even CARE about expansions or gw3. Honestly, those will solve nothing, not the core issues regarding this series. If the expansions or gw3 are merely single-player, gem store oriented, cash grabs then what is even the point of playing them?

What I notice about gw2 is the disturbing lack of group content. I'm not even talking about hard content like fractals or raids, just general group content: something that is so basic regarding MMOs. Where are the guild functions? Why have dungeons, spvp & wvw been abandoned? Why is there no group content that people can get into to encourage socialization--example: player housing, bounty systems, job systems, etc? I notice that gw2, like other MMOs, generally caters to the single-player, instant loot gratification crowd.

Honestly, I'd rather scrap the expansions or gw3, and fix the game at this point...

GW2 has tons of things to do for a new player and tons of group content. If you have been playing the game for years.. well, you will run out of stuff.

I do think PoF and LWS4 was definitely a down cycle, and content as of late has been lower in quality and quantity. I personally have taken a semi break (still play like 1-2 hours per week and check the forums) and waiting to see what is coming with LWS5.

sPvP and WvW abandoned? Do not get me wrong, I think Anet performance when it comes to class balance has been very poor for like a year now. But most of the class balance changes are directed towards PvP. And there have been multiple changes to sPvP and WvW with the last few month alone. If you are expecting changes every 3-4 weeks, no game devs can do that.

Also, catering for single players, that is what the majority of players do.. So it makes sense to cater to them, among other things.

@LucianDK.8615 said:
    I sincerely doubt ls5 will follow the past living story model. Wait with crying that the sky is falling down before seeing their announcement on aug 30. Until then we just have to wait.
    People are hungry for more than just a single map, now that a whole living story season is over.

I do think LWS5 will bring in a big new feature. There are signs we might get cross class skills (similar to GW1). Though this is a hypothesis and even if it becomes reality, we do not know how extensive will it be. Is it just some utilities, trait lines, weapons, open world PvE, all PvP or all the game (sPvP will be impossible to balance).

• Ayrilana.1396Ayrilana.1396 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 16, 2019

The game’s target audience are casual players with attention/time constraints and non-gamers. This is one of the defining features that sets the game apart from the others to attract those who may not necessarily enjoy the typical MMO. Group content is typically one aspect you’d find in the typical MMO but a percentage of the GW2 player-base not wanting based on the threads that occasionally pop up.

The game should still continue to have a future so long as Anet continues to provide newer content at a reasonable pace and adds new in the gemstore to appeal to players so that the game remains funded.

• AlexxxDelta.1806AlexxxDelta.1806 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 18, 2019

You mentioned yourself, that GW2, like other MMOs, generally caters to solo content. Did you ever stop to think why is that? Did all the mmo devs go crazy and decided to add so much soloable content in their games?

Obviously, since they have all the numbers, their focus on solo content is not an accident. That crowd you don't like is the majority. And they would be crazy to not cater to the majority.

To go back to your title, a discussion about the future of the game is not easy to have. Especially since everyone uses it as an excuse to attack specific game elements they don't like.

• Drakz.7051Drakz.7051 Member ✭✭

It'll probably trundle along, maybe get another expac out of it.

• JTGuevara.9018JTGuevara.9018 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 19, 2019

@otto.5684 said:

GW2 has tons of things to do for a new player and tons of group content. If you have been playing the game for years.. well, you will run out of stuff.

I do think PoF and LWS4 was definitely a down cycle, and content as of late has been lower in quality and quantity. I personally have taken a semi break (still play like 1-2 hours per week and check the forums) and waiting to see what is coming with LWS5.

sPvP and WvW abandoned? Do not get me wrong, I think Anet performance when it comes to class balance has been very poor for like a year now. But most of the class balance changes are directed towards PvP. And there have been multiple changes to sPvP and WvW with the last few month alone. If you are expecting changes every 3-4 weeks, no game devs can do that.

Also, catering for single players, that is what the majority of players do.. So it makes sense to cater to them, among other things.

Um...I think we can do better than balance updates every 3-4 MONTHS. I'm sorry if I may seem that I'm asking for the moon and stars here, but that's just unacceptable! Might as well kill off spvp/wvw then. THAT is gross negligence. I don't consider that multiple changes at all. I don't consider a couple of pvp maps, the removal of team queue and the warclaw sufficient support. The warclaw wasn't even fully accepted by the wvw community!

And yeah, it makes sense to cater to single-players, at least financially, but...at what cost? Is it worth it? Look at all the group content in this game.

1. Dungeons? Dead.
    2. spvp/wvw? Life support.
    3. Fractals/Raids? Occasional support.
    4. Guild content? NOTHING after guild halls.
    5. Open world? Mostly dumbed-down for single players(farms)

THIS. This is the stuff that's just...there. It's just...made to languish. There's just a lack of engaging content for the community in this game. The only aspects of this game that are consistently supported are the living world & gem store, which are made for the individual.

Honestly, the way I see things is...gw2 becoming maintenance mode at this rate like gw1. Eventually, so much stuff will be released and in need of fixes that it won't even be worth it to fix...because it will cost too much...so it will just be ABANDONED. That is what I fear most.

• narcx.3570narcx.3570 Member ✭✭✭✭

@LucianDK.8615 said:
    I sincerely doubt ls5 will follow the past living story model. Wait with crying that the sky is falling down before seeing their announcement on aug 30. Until then we just have to wait.
    People are hungry for more than just a single map, now that a whole living story season is over.

The wait is so brutal tho...! This summer has had next to ZERO content, which makes it hard to stay motivated with gw2--especially when other games have been dropping great updates.

Wing 7 came out in June and most people crushed the CM's that first week... And then we had Dragon Bash, which was fun but simple and fast... And then we had/have Festival of the Four Winds--if you can even call this new content, since there's literally NOTHING new to it over last year except some additional really unfinished looking weapon skins. And that's it, that's all the playable content gw2 rolled out in an entire Quarter.

I could just be a little extra salty though because I 100% hate Festival of the Four Winds, and how certain dailies are both required and can't be done on your own time schedule, but even then, it's just a sad amount of new stuff.

But yeah, I feel like a good chunk of the community is just hanging on to hope for this 8/30 announcement, and then when it comes out and is ultimately super underwhelming, will be done with GW2 for good. Personally, I find it hard to motivate myself to even get on for my weekly raid clear, but my group is a bunch of fun maniacs, so it keeps me going. And even then, I'd probably not even be that into it if condiweaver wasn't so hilariously fun to play and meme different weapons with right now.

• Rasimir.6239Rasimir.6239 Member ✭✭✭✭

@JTGuevara.9018 said:
    Look at all the group content in this game.

1. Dungeons? Dead.

Funny, just this weekend I did 18 dungeon paths. Didn't seem dead to me. We got everything from lfg, from the level 78 on his first trip into CoF p1 to the player with 1.5k ap and a handfull of mastery points that went through CoE like a pro, but what we didn't get was dead dungeons. Even the more obscure paths filled reasonably fast. I also did make good gold, actually more than I usually make when playing open world maps (not farms though, I don't enjoy farming at all).

1. spvp/wvw? Life support.

Same as above, doesn't seem dead to me (at least wvw, haven't set foot into pvp since I think season 3, it's just not my cup of tea). No matter if I go in with a friend or two or by myself, there's always people around and familiar names in team chat.

Honestly, the way I see things is...gw2 becoming maintenance mode at this rate like gw1. Eventually, so much stuff will be released and in need of fixes that it won't even be worth it to fix...because it will cost too much...so it will just be ABANDONED. That is what I fear most.

Maybe stop trying to convince yourself and everybody else that the game is failing, and try to just have fun for a change? There's such a thing as confirmation bias, if you go out looking for signs of failure you're sure to find plenty of it. But if you go into game looking for fun, there's just as much of that to be had, too. There is plenty of enjoyable group content in this game, you just have to make use of it.

• Astralporing.1957Astralporing.1957 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 19, 2019

@JTGuevara.9018 said:
    What I notice about gw2 is the disturbing lack of group content. I'm not even talking about hard content like fractals or raids, just general group content: something that is so basic regarding MMOs.

Indeed. What this game lacks is not the hardcore group content, but the soft/midcore one. Dungeons might have filled that niche, but unfortunately they were abandoned. Fractals might have been that, but Anet decided to go more hardcore with them instead. And guild content... well, there was never much of it in the first place, and even that was very long time ago.

@LucianDK.8615 said:

And then we'll keep hearing that we should wait till LS5 is over before complaining. And then we'll be 2 years in the future, and it will be too late to complain.

@maidiance.6920 said:
    Unfortunately, the guild team (the devs making content for guilds) is no longer with Anet.

There was never any guild team to begin with. All guild content was being done by other teams. That has been confirmed shortly after HoT when people started asking about the improvements to guild missions.

@Rasimir.6239 said:

@zealex.9410 said:
    On the subject of group play, one of the things that i saw in ff14 is how they tie such group activities with their story content. Like for example, the player needs to go kill some powerful god like being because its trouble if left unchecked, bam you get a dungeon (4man) mission to do that. Similarly the big steps of their story for example the climax boss is an 8 man encounter.

We used to have that at the end of the personal story (Arah story mode). ANet made the concious decision to remove that requirement and replace it with a single-player story instance, to allow but no longer require grouping to finish the story.

That's because (unlike in FF XIV) there is absolutely no incentive for veteran players to do any of the story modes again. When we add this to Arah Story being a total snorefest, and very long to boot, it's no surprising that newer players found it harder and harder to find anyone to run it with. And so, Anet, instead of making it worthwhile for veterans to help out, decided that they'd rather make it into solo-mode.

The whole point of a social game is to play with the people you want to play with, not be forced to play with the people you don't.

• vyncius.6105vyncius.6105 Member ✭✭✭

@Dayra.7405 said:

@vyncius.6105 said:

@Dayra.7405 said:

@Goettel.4389 said:
    Only thing I do is group content, you might have missed it. Use LFG.

Even better: Use a commander (or Mentor) Tag. That gathers groups in Open-World quite fast, commander & LFG together even better.

And I don't worry if raids and the rest of the DPS-community dies out :) I would rather see it as gain (less toxic people) than as problem.

gain???? GAIN????!!???!!?

poor casual soul...

Maybe, maybe not, but definitely allergic against the attitude of many hardcore player.

Hardcore community dies= game dies.

Pfft, GW2 exist long time without raids and DPS Meter ;)

hardcore community dies, and you will be left w/o snowcrows guides/builds etc...
    content creators/streamers, most of them are hardcore, no more of them equals to no more gw2 pressence in youtube, twitch etc.
    So, no more new players which leads to casual community dieing too.

End of guild wars

• Raknar.4735Raknar.4735 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 19, 2019

@vyncius.6105 said:

@Dayra.7405 said:

@vyncius.6105 said:

@Dayra.7405 said:

@Goettel.4389 said:

Even better: Use a commander (or Mentor) Tag. That gathers groups in Open-World quite fast, commander & LFG together even better.

And I don't worry if raids and the rest of the DPS-community dies out :) I would rather see it as gain (less toxic people) than as problem.

poor casual soul...

Maybe, maybe not, but definitely allergic against the attitude of many hardcore player.

hardcore community dies, and you will be left w/o snowcrows guides/builds etc...
    content creators/streamers, most of them are hardcore, no more of them equals to no more gw2 pressence in youtube, twitch etc.

End of guild wars

You see, there is a simple fact you're ignoring about the casual playerbase: they don't use the guides and builds.
    The youtube and twitch presence of GW2 is already small enough that it doesn't matter for new players.

You're actually delusional if you think the hardcore community is "carrying" the game.

@Raknar.4735 said:

@vyncius.6105 said:

@Dayra.7405 said:

@vyncius.6105 said:

@Dayra.7405 said:

@Goettel.4389 said:

poor casual soul...

End of guild wars

You see, there is a simple fact you're ignoring about the casual playerbase: they don't use the guides and builds.
    The youtube and twitch presence of GW2 is already small enough that it doesn't matter for new players.

You're actually delusional if you think the hardcore community is "carrying" the game.

it doesnt matter how small that community is, but they are making these videos to promote gw2, because anet cant do that themself.
    Its only advertisment gw2 has, by content creators.
    How people start playing games?
    1. Some friend offers them to try out.
    2. They see some video on youtube with a title "is it worth playing gw2 in 2019?". They get pros and cons of gw2, they check some pvp videos, pve videos and decide if its worth or not.
    Atleast thats how most people find games to play, me included

edited August 19, 2019

@vyncius.6105 said:

@Raknar.4735 said:

@vyncius.6105 said:

@Dayra.7405 said:

@vyncius.6105 said:

@Dayra.7405 said:

@Goettel.4389 said:

poor casual soul...

End of guild wars

it doesnt matter how small that community is, but they are making these videos to promote gw2, because anet cant do that themself.
    2. They see some video on youtube with a title "is it worth playing gw2 in 2019?". They get pros and cons of gw2, they check some pvp videos, pve videos and decide if its worth or not.

You're basically saying that only "hardcore" people make videos, which is not true. Most of the "best MMORPG to play in 20XX" videos are by people that jump from one MMO to another.
    You'd be stunned by how many people just see the game in a store and just buy it. I think you're vastly overestimating the value of "hardcore" communities in games.

@Raknar.4735 said:

@vyncius.6105 said:

@Raknar.4735 said:

@vyncius.6105 said:

@Dayra.7405 said:

@vyncius.6105 said:

@Dayra.7405 said:

@Goettel.4389 said:

poor casual soul...

End of guild wars

You're basically saying that only "hardcore" people make videos, which is not true. Most of the "best MMORPG to play in 20XX" videos are by people that jump from one MMO to another.
    You'd be stunned by how many people just see the game in a store and just buy it. I think you're vastly overestimating the value of "hardcore" communities in games.

videos with a title "is it worth playing gw2" made by 3 youtubers:

1.Jawgeous- doesnt play anymore, bad pvp balancing and anet ignoring pvp scene entirely led him to leave.
    2.Kyosika- still plays, hardcore player.
    3.LazyPeon- was only interested in WvW, quit the game because of bad wvw balance.

edited August 19, 2019

@vyncius.6105 said:

@Raknar.4735 said:

@vyncius.6105 said:

@Raknar.4735 said:

@vyncius.6105 said:

@Dayra.7405 said:

@vyncius.6105 said:

@Dayra.7405 said:

@Goettel.4389 said:

poor casual soul...

End of guild wars

1.Jawgeous- doesnt play anymore, bad pvp balancing and anet ignoring pvp scene entirely led him to leave.
    3.LazyPeon- was only interested in WvW, quit the game because of bad wvw balance.

I just typed in "is gw2 worth playing 2019" in google, and i already see way more videos:

Eddzshed - GW2 in 2019? Is it worth playing - Returned to the game
    TinyBlueGames - Guild Wars 2 in 2019? | The Future of GW2
    EvilDoUsHarm - [Guild Wars 2] First Impressions: Worth Playing in 2019? - completely new

And that's just 3 i picked out randomly.

@Raknar.4735 said:

@vyncius.6105 said:

@Raknar.4735 said:

@vyncius.6105 said:

@Raknar.4735 said:

@vyncius.6105 said:

@Dayra.7405 said:

@vyncius.6105 said:

@Dayra.7405 said:

@Goettel.4389 said:

poor casual soul...

End of guild wars

I just typed in "is gw2 worth playing 2019" in google, and i already see way more videos:

EvilDoUsHarm - [Guild Wars 2] First Impressions: Worth Playing in 2019? - completely new

ive picked top 3 from youtube, 2 of your mentioned not even in first page

@vyncius.6105 said:

@Raknar.4735 said:

@vyncius.6105 said:

@Raknar.4735 said:

@vyncius.6105 said:

@Raknar.4735 said:

@vyncius.6105 said:

@Dayra.7405 said:

@vyncius.6105 said:

@Dayra.7405 said:

@Goettel.4389 said:

poor casual soul...

End of guild wars

ive picked top 3 from youtube, 2 of your mentioned not even in first page

They are on the first page

https://imgur.com/6QiHZ6M

• SkyShroud.2865SkyShroud.2865 Member ✭✭✭✭

Future? If you mean direction, I don't think there is a concrete one. Gw2 is all over the place.
    Anet need to decide to make the game for what audience, you can't be jack of all trades and expect everything to go well.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International PvX Guild
    Henge of Denravi Server
    www.gw2time.com

--

Explanations of WvW Structures & Populations Issues

@Dayra.7405 said:

@Raknar.4735 said:
    Your echo chamber is showing. Most casuals don't care about the hardcore community, about raids, about most things. Why should they play content that is unfun to them? They don't want rewards, they want fun.

For me the point is: I do not like to play where people judge my build, my DPS.
    I will play raids, should the DPS-meter user, the rage quitter and party kicker go somewhere else, but I will stay away as long as they are there.

I'm going to be honest here: This is something that will not change.
    If you're doing content designed for coordinated groups with a random group instead of a static, the others will want you to "carry your weight". The easiest way to gauge that is via DPS-meters. The encounters in GW2 are mostly based on timers, so the bosses themselves become a dps-check (even though the timer isn't that punishing, with good rotations/dps the timer is meaningless).

Another reason there's such a large discrepancy between the dps ("Players that know what they are doing do 500% more damage") is the gear. More precisely gear stats in GW2. While in WoW you mostly have the same stats, and new gear is just an upgrade, in GW2 you have gear that could be called "sidegrade".
    While there are a lot of different stats, few are really necessary for raids, while the others are "worthless" to the group.
    It is even more harmful to have gear with e.g. Toughness, since most enemies focus the player with the most toughness, unless they have a special mechanic like Slothasor.
    Basically what i'm trying to say: If you're not using purely dps-stats (ignoring support specs to simplify here), you're wasting stats. The gear system is more complicated, because you don't just equip "better gear" like in WoW.

For the DPS-meter to vanish completely from PUG-raids, the content would have to be so easy you can complete it without coordination (Secret Lair of the Snowmen comes to mind). I don't think that's good for raids, they should be a niche for players that want coordinated encounters.
    The content should still first and foremost be created for players that want coordinated content, easy modes that don't need a special group composition can be added to make casuals care more about raids, increasing revenue they bring, creating a bond between casuals, raids and the hardcore community.

• Dayra.7405Dayra.7405 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 19, 2019

@Raknar.4735 said:
    I'm going to be honest here: This is something that will not change.

No problem, I just remembered there was a second point that kept me away from raids (I tried a few times guild internal raid-teaching attempts):
    Getting 10 people with fitting roles/builds took ages. Don'r really believe that it will be faster with public random groups.

And for what? Just to root-learn a lengthy complicated choreographie? The best raid-Group will always be a set of synchronized programmed makro :)

So yes: raids will not be my gw2-future, Open-world & WvW have better fit to my interests.

• zealex.9410zealex.9410 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 19, 2019

@Astralporing.1957 said:
    Fractals might have been that, but Anet decided to go more hardcore with them instead.

Tiers 1 to 3 dont exist now?

That's because (unlike in FF XIV) there is absolutely no incentive for veteran players to do any of the story modes again. When we add this to Arah Story being a total snorefest, and very long to boot, it's no surprising that newer players found it harder and harder to find anyone to run it with. And so, Anet, instead of making it worthwhile for veterans to help out, decided that they'd rather make it into solo-mode.

These multiplerson instances in ff14 are idd repeatable and through roulletes u can do the synced for your dailies.

• neoteo.3975neoteo.3975 Member ✭✭
    edited August 19, 2019

There should be more "instanced" group content. It's funny because gw1 was only instanced group content and people asked for open world like wow, now we have too much open world like wow and not enough instanced group content.

Should not be very hard to grab all the story instances and make them group content, there are super beautiful maps that only serve one time on story, what a waste. Make more group content.

I also think the LFG interface should have the option to see all postings not sorted by types, since almost no one is posting, i always need to click all to see what groups are being made. At this point I don't really care what people are grouping for, I'll join anything as long as it's a group game.

How hard is it to reward grouping?

Give gold!

Edit to add: group content for open world maps could also work.

Simple mechanics, puzzles that would only get done by groups. Someone will complain that solo players can't do it? Well I think at this point solo players can't complain from lack of content. Almost everything is solo, and even more annoying when we try to co-op the story, most of the mechanisms can't be done by anyone besides the commander.

• kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Paradoxoglanis.1904 said:
    Players have very little reason to return to PoF and living world areas, creating empty maps and zero player presence in LFG/group events unless people are forced back one time to unlock something like a new mount.

Perhaps so. I'm still working on my skyscale collections which are running through these very maps. Some are more populated than others, in my experience of late but I've seen other players going for the same objectives as I, so at the least the legendary mount is still bringing players to these maps.

I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

• Zuldari.3940Zuldari.3940 Member ✭✭✭

The problem is this is an achievement based game, most of the players have played for years and have the achievements, so there is not a lot for them to care about doing. Without replay value a game declines, wow is successful because its always adding new content and achievements to go for, its also a progression game. I think staying in one spot all the time is not so great an idea, we need some progression to feel like we are doing something to further us along. You start to stagnate without any forward momentum.

Coo! Quaggan Love's You! ♥♥♥

• Astralporing.1957Astralporing.1957 Member ✭✭✭✭

People seem to have this "casual vs hardcore" mentality when discussing gw2 content and its future.

That in itself is the core of the problem that was mentioned above. There's an ultracasual content. There's content for mostly hardcore players. There's nothing in the middle. Not anymore, anyway.

@zealex.9410 said:

@Astralporing.1957 said:
    Fractals might have been that, but Anet decided to go more hardcore with them instead.

Oh, they do. The shift in difficulty can be seen in those as well, although probably less than in t4's

These multiplerson instances in ff14 are idd repeatable and through roulletes u can do the synced for your dailies.

Yes, precisely. One of those roulettes ("Main Scenario") has ben introduced because two of the story instances were the FFXIV:ARR's versions of GW2's Arah Story Mode: 30 and 45 minutes long, and filled to the brim with unskippable cutscenes. Noone wanted to do those a second time, and new players had trouble getting a full party for them. So, the devs added a daily roulette for those two with some major (as far as roulettes go) rewards. And suddenly players started to do those again. Surprising, isn't it?

Compare that to Anet's way of solving the issue.

The whole point of a social game is to play with the people you want to play with, not be forced to play with the people you don't.

• Zuldari.3940Zuldari.3940 Member ✭✭✭

@Astralporing.1957 said:

People seem to have this "casual vs hardcore" mentality when discussing gw2 content and its future.

That in itself is the core of the problem that was mentioned above. There's an ultracasual content. There's content for mostly hardcore players. There's nothing in the middle. Not anymore, anyway.

@zealex.9410 said:

@Astralporing.1957 said:

Oh, they do. The shift in difficulty can be seen in those as well, although probably less than in t4's

Yes, precisely. One of those roulettes ("Main Scenario") has ben introduced because two of the story instances were the FFXIV:ARR's versions of GW2's Arah Story Mode: 30 and 45 minutes long, and filled to the brim with unskippable cutscenes. Noone wanted to do those a second time, and new players had trouble getting a full party for them. So, the devs added a daily roulette for those two with some major (as far as roulettes go) rewards. And suddenly players started to do those again. Surprising, isn't it?

Compare that to Anet's way of solving the issue.

Arah has the best sets, i really want to do it. But the only time i can get a group is if its the daily.

Coo! Quaggan Love's You! ♥♥♥

• Rasimir.6239Rasimir.6239 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Zuldari.3940 said:
    The problem is this is an achievement based game, most of the players have played for years and have the achievements, so there is not a lot for them to care about doing. Without replay value a game declines, wow is successful because its always adding new content and achievements to go for, its also a progression game. I think staying in one spot all the time is not so great an idea, we need some progression to feel like we are doing something to further us along. You start to stagnate without any forward momentum.

Yet there are many people playing this game precisely because they enjoy playing it without chasing after new improvements all the time. Changing the game to be more progression oriented will renew it for some players while turning off others. Only ANet has the metrics that might help them decide which part of the playerbase to target and what kind of gameplay to offer.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.