Option of making players being able to attack/get attacked in the open world - Page 3 — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Option of making players being able to attack/get attacked in the open world

Comments

• Healix.5819Healix.5819 Member ✭✭✭✭

Considering how ArenaNet does things, if they ever added open world PvP, you'd need to specifically enable it to participate, you'd auto-rally with PvP disabled and locked for 5 minutes when downed/killed, and it would automatically disable within the area of an event. Expect it to be something closer to costume brawl than traditional PvP.

• yann.1946yann.1946 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Gopaka.7839 said:

@Rasimir.6239 said:

@cNd.1096 said:
    Why people are against something that doesn't affect them? If you don't want to fight with other players in PvE maps then fine - don't do it, but let others have fun this way if they feel like it. Personally I would love to see some kind of duels in PvE, like it was done in 4story for example.

Because it does affect them. If players duell in open world pve, they will produce visual and audio noise for other players in the area, and potentially have an influence on other people's play experience, too, for example when they upscale events and mobs without participating or fill out the population limits on maps that try to go for a map-wide meta event.

Anet DO NOT have problem with the visual noises in the game. If that was an issue for them they wouldn't add all those shiny weapons, and armors, and mounts, and gliders, and World Bosses to gather all those shinies on one place.

Actually the design of both the legendary trinkets and runes suggest that they do care about visual bloat to a certain extent

• Dami.5046Dami.5046 Member ✭✭✭✭

You never know, for all you leavers if open world pvp existed, how many would come and play because 1) they want to try it and 2) they don't play because normal pve maps don't interest them. Obviously this game doesn't appeal to all and this may create a different market and different players.
    A different game.
    How much is the next season going to be just rinse and repeat of all the other seasons, in a game that does a race for content? C'mon you can't want that month in month out?
    This is why I want Cantha. Cantha introduced different kinds of pvp outside of hall and arenas. The new PvP is a start.

• Gopaka.7839Gopaka.7839 Member ✭✭✭

@Diak Atoli.2085 said:

@Gopaka.7839 said:
    Open world wont kill gw2. PvP/WvW players will have something to do in the open world and thus learn more about PvE on the way. PvE players on the other hand will get used to seeing players getting killed by other players and maybe learn more about the PvP/WvW community a little bit more while communicating with some WvW/PvP players. And thus go do some PvP and WvW. What my idea is basically bringing all the community together around all the contents that this game is providing, not splitting them apart. I know WvW players playing the game doing only WvW, not knowing what a guild hall is even. I know PvE players who havent played WvW a single time. I know PvP player that does only tournaments. Why all of you think splitted community is a good community ? WvW struggle for fresh blood ? How do you suggest they do that ? Go out in LA spreading the good word and putting posters on the bank and trading post ?

So what's your plan to make up for the loss of the PvE players who will quit the game if OW PvP is implemented? Really, I'm interested in how you will replace me and many of my friends.

You and your friends will quit anyway if such a small thing like seeing ppl fight in your precious PvE zones make you quit the game. ;)

• kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Gopaka.7839 said:
    PvP/WvW players will have something to do in the open world and thus learn more about PvE on the way.

Maybe they could simply play the PvE content to learn more about PvE. Which they can do already.

PvE players on the other hand will get used to seeing players getting killed by other players and maybe learn more about the PvP/WvW community a little bit more while communicating with some WvW/PvP players. And thus go do some PvP and WvW.

That PvE players don't go to PvP/WvW already speaks to what they've learned about those communities. As many have stated in this thread, PvE players don't enjoy being ganked, so they stay away from PvP/WvW.

What my idea is basically bringing all the community together around all the contents that this game is providing, not splitting them apart.

Having different places for PvE/PvP/WvW content in GW2 is inherent by design. Why would they now force differing aspects of content to merge?

WvW struggle for fresh blood

Maybe that content isn't as popular with the GW2 community as some may wish for it to be? Maybe other games do WvW better, so those who enjoy that content aren't playing GW2?

I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

• Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 15, 2019

@Gopaka.7839 said:
    PvE players on the other hand will get used to seeing players getting killed by other players and maybe learn more about the PvP/WvW community a little bit more while communicating with some WvW/PvP players.

I don't think seeing people duel in open world will make any PvP deniers more likely to become interested in PvP or WvW, since the directives in both game modes are much more complicated and not just about "killing others on the way". I imagine they might even feel stressed out by such encounters and no longer "safe" in their environment, regardless of whether it's an optional thing or not.

@Lilyanna.9361 said:
    PvP folks are leaving because Anet is not respecting their own system and letting people abuse what monsters they created to please YOU PVE folks.

How exactly is the PvE community at fault when it comes to ANet's inability to handle their game's balancing properly by, for instance, making completely separate skill sets and trait lines for each game mode or blocking elite specs in PvP, or to add new map content to WvW?

• For people that keep bringing Wow in this debate, i used to play Wow since BC until MOP, i choose a PVE realm since i was a noob but even there you can put your pvp on.
    It was a nightmare for leveling in some zone in case some idiot was waiting for you to AOE so you can get flag and kill you.
    Not to mention on the forums there were plenty of complain about this in PVP realm, most of them didn't even bother to leave the city, just level from lfg system in dungeon and have high level so you can also go kill.
    They make after that some open zone pvp which was abandoned very fast because of the imbalance between horde and alliance.
    WoW was made with PVP in mind, Horde vs Alliance was a team and now it falling, you can see that in Battle of Azeroth which should be more PVP oriented in open world failed, they needed to give boost to the alliance so they can turn there PVP tag on.

Let go back to Gw2, as already people explain, there are plenty of place were you can kill other people, you have your personal arena for duel in Sun's Refuge.
    So let say you say one person doing a event and he is flag by mistake , you can go to kill him and maybe he loose the event.
    Let say that you are new person in gw2 and you don't know about the flag, you put it by mistake and you get killed by a high level because this will happen. I remember before that there were people in Wow that killed others in starting zone and city.

In my case, what will i win if i kill other person in open world, do i get some unique stuff that helps me or i just have nothing better to do and kill people to show how better i am then them instead of showing my skill in sPVP

For people that want this, make a poll or a petition, show Anet how much you care, maybe they will listen.

• Opopanax.1803Opopanax.1803 Member ✭✭✭✭

I think it would be cool if they made a new Edge of the Mists map with good pve metas and have one side play D and one side play O. Pit 2 servers against 2 servers and have one try to advance the meta and have the other side stop it.

They could also support dueling I'm a map like this, give it an arena where people could meet up and play against each other.

• Ashen.2907Ashen.2907 Member ✭✭✭✭

Sure.

As long as it is opt in, not opt out.

• Excursion.9752Excursion.9752 Member ✭✭✭✭

This is what I would like to see and its based off and old MMO I played when I was _cough_ younger...

Order/Chaos system for guilds.
    Players may participate in Order/Chaos by being in a guild that is set to Order or Chaos. This can be set by changing the guild type. This can only be changed once every 7 days

Earn combat experience by killing the opposing faction. Earn titles and rank for getting so much experience. Diminishing returns for killing the same player over and over after the first kill. This would be reset daily. Killing people higher rank than you rewards more experience.

Since you have the ability to switch guilds pretty much at any time you could choose when you wanted to participate in the system. So those who never want to touch the mode wont be bothered while the others are having at it in a map.

I think this would be amazing personally.

There is a 50% chance you will not agree with me and a 50% chance I will not agree with you

• zealex.9410zealex.9410 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Rasimir.6239 said:
    No thanks. The whole game's story as well as all of the gameplay systems are based on the concept of cooperation. No juvenile idiots spamming duelling invites or noisily fighting right on top of my character. No newbies getting tricked into activating the switch and getting slaughtered by people getting their kick from easy kills.

If you want to fight other players, go to wvw, pvp or your guild's arena. No need to bother the rest of us with that nonsense.

I mean, the story of this franchise is full of conflict and fighting and the combat is very much pvp oriented.

As for the duel invites, i think you havent been following mmo, times have moved on and you can opt to have pvp or not.

• xenon.3264xenon.3264 Member ✭✭✭

@Lilyanna.9361 said:
    I mean y'all say it's gonna kill gw2 but the game has already been on a decline. I see the same folks in certain maps, in the same spots. There are barely roamers now, only zergs. You can look at WvW and you'll see they are practically begging for new content. PvP folks are leaving because Anet is not respecting their own system and letting people abuse what monsters they created to please YOU PVE folks.

pvp folks are leaving. ok bye can i have their stuff ?

i see lots and i mean LOTS of ppl in every map both in tyria and the expansions ones.

btw according to me game is far from being dead but even if we'd remain so few to keep only one server alive in maintenance mode i'd be ok with it at this point of the game.

• Calistin.6210Calistin.6210 Member ✭✭✭

Just no.

Thanks!

• Hashberry.4510Hashberry.4510 Member ✭✭✭✭

PVP trash talk would not be welcome in the open world. I enjoyed going flagged in WoW on occasion, but would rather not see it here, thanks.

• Cyninja.2954Cyninja.2954 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Gopaka.7839 said:

@Cyninja.2954 said:
    You keep assuming that arguing with some of the worst problems currently being present is in any shape or form an argument FOR your idea, when it's the exact opposite. You don't want to make things which are bad even worse. The fact the game is already struggling in certain areas is a reason NOT to put more strain on specifically those things.

So what you are saying is "don't poke it cuz it might feel pain... just let it die on it's own... it's the natural way of life" ?

That's not even a valid or in any applicable response to what I wrote. The games has problems on a basic level of programming (skill lag when to many server queries happen), art (visual noise from items and skills) and design (map populations and map isntances).

Your argument that adding to those problems because they already exist is nosensical. This has nothing to do with spvp and wvw struggling but rather touches on how pvp in open world would make all of those issues worse, when they are already a problem now.

• FrizzFreston.5290FrizzFreston.5290 Member ✭✭✭✭

I don't mind open world PvP tbh. I still would like to see this arena in LA where destinys edge formed.

• @Gopaka.7839 said:

@Li Xiaolu.4823 said:
    Just a suggestion for those who want to have open-world PvP. After killing a player you will be arrested by the Seraph, Peacemaker, Wardens, Lionguard …… and sent to prison for lets say two week online time. :)

Well... What you are saying has been done in many games, but the fact that the one you are killing has agreed to be killed in the first place means you don't have to be arrested overall. Your idea can be implemented in a smaller scale if you fight in the cities, but this means even more of the "precious" resources, that all of you are talking about like Anet is starving to death begging for piece of bread, will be spend.

If you are saying to only have it in the cities then why not just stay in the current PvP areas where it is intended?

• I used to PvP but it got to boring. I mostly WvW and have for many years. I still would not want any PvP in PVE. If I want to fight, I know where to go. If I want easy mode, hit raids, fractals or pve. I see no need to put any effort to code up fighting other players anywhere but where it is now.

• @Diak Atoli.2085 said:

@Gopaka.7839 said:
    Open world wont kill gw2. PvP/WvW players will have something to do in the open world and thus learn more about PvE on the way. PvE players on the other hand will get used to seeing players getting killed by other players and maybe learn more about the PvP/WvW community a little bit more while communicating with some WvW/PvP players. And thus go do some PvP and WvW. What my idea is basically bringing all the community together around all the contents that this game is providing, not splitting them apart. I know WvW players playing the game doing only WvW, not knowing what a guild hall is even. I know PvE players who havent played WvW a single time. I know PvP player that does only tournaments. Why all of you think splitted community is a good community ? WvW struggle for fresh blood ? How do you suggest they do that ? Go out in LA spreading the good word and putting posters on the bank and trading post ?

So what's your plan to make up for the loss of the PvE players who will quit the game if OW PvP is implemented? Really, I'm interested in how you will replace me and many of my friends.

Doing this effectively killed Aion for pretty much all of their PvE players. It would do the same to this game. Once the majority, if not all, of the PvE crowd leaves I wonder how he plans to replace them?

• Ben K.6238Ben K.6238 Member ✭✭✭✭

@FrizzFreston.5290 said:
    I don't mind open world PvP tbh. I still would like to see this arena in LA where destinys edge formed.

That probably would have been the one in Fort Marriner before it was destroyed.

• Karnn.4569Karnn.4569 Member ✭✭
    edited August 15, 2019

Just do it like some other games toggle PK you can only PK other players who have toggled it on also so no greifing but open map pvp for those who enjoy it. Pve only players aren't effected.

plus think of all the awesome places you could duel.

• Josiah.2967Josiah.2967 Member ✭✭✭✭

I will quit GW2 if I am unintentionally flagged for PVP as a PVE player. I quit WOW over this issue. People were exploiting the system and getting you to attack them as they stack on the auction house, NPCs and more.

• Karnn.4569Karnn.4569 Member ✭✭
    edited August 15, 2019

with what i recommended you have to manually activate the mode there is no accidental flagging unless you flag yourself. If you would quit the game because you clicked a thing read a warning and said ok then could toggle it off any time also then you'd be foolish.

System i suggest is completely opt in or out with a toggle at players whim you could not attack other players nor they you unless you toggled PK on.

• DeadlySynz.3471DeadlySynz.3471 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Gopaka.7839 said:
    Where's the middle ground between PvE and PvP/WvW ? The PvE is too sterile while PvP/WvW is too brutal. Most PvE players are afraid to enter PvP because of points and competition, and failing the team, and for WvW it's just train with the zerg or get trained by the other zergs and you are there for the pure reason to kill or get killed. PvP in the open world would me more like....I'm doing PvE stuff but can do PvP stuff at any moment while at it. I gave the WoW example for a reason. People enjoy open world PvP, if not, the game wouldn't be so popular. Players like to experience PvE and PvP in the same time, there is a moment of surprise.

WvW is actually the middle ground between PvP and PvE. Even though the roaming is dying off in WvW, one can still find solo or small groups meandering around looking for fights. Although a PvE'er looking to test the waters against roamers would likely get decimated before they could even think about what skill to use first. EoTM is probably a better option for this.

• whoeverxwins.1279whoeverxwins.1279 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 16, 2019

@Lady Vanithy.6495 said:
    NCSoft already has the game you seek....Lineage 2 did pk'ing best. It's still around, I think. Lovely game but that aspect killed it (for me).

Typo. Words are hard.

Aion also has open world PvP, another NCSoft game. And the most annoying thing there was the upper levels descending on a low level area and wiping out new players. Lots of fun, right? Well, most annoying other than all the whispers from gold sellers that they didn't (or couldn't) do anything about.

Also, a huge turn off for me about PvP is the toxicity. Leave that out of my PVE map chat, thank you.

@Blanche Neige.7241 said:

@Gopaka.7839 said:
    People enjoy open world PvP, if not, the game wouldn't be so popular. Players like to experience PvE and PvP in the same time, there is a moment of surprise.

Correction : YOU enjoy open world PVP.

I don't know why all of you people assume that I am a PvP player because I'm suggesting an idea. I have 33k AP and my account value is around 128k gold. My rank in PvP is shark and my WvW rank is below 500. I don't know if I'll enjoy open world PvP, I'll observe it because of curiosity that's for sure, but will I participate in it? Maybe? From time to time? I'm just sure many bored players would gather and fight without waiting 5-10 mins for matching up, then decide which map to choose, then protect or attack a small circle an if they don't like the match... they can't quit because of penalties. In WvW on the other hand... You have 1 waypont and your enemy have 1 waypoint... good luck fighting over and over again with each other...

• Lilyanna.9361Lilyanna.9361 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Gopaka.7839 said:
    PvE players on the other hand will get used to seeing players getting killed by other players and maybe learn more about the PvP/WvW community a little bit more while communicating with some WvW/PvP players.

I don't think seeing people duel in open world will make any PvP deniers more likely to become interested in PvP or WvW, since the directives in both game modes are much more complicated and not just about "killing others on the way". I imagine they might even feel stressed out by such encounters and no longer "safe" in their environment, regardless of whether it's an optional thing or not.

@Lilyanna.9361 said:
    PvP folks are leaving because Anet is not respecting their own system and letting people abuse what monsters they created to please YOU PVE folks.

How exactly is the PvE community at fault when it comes to ANet's inability to handle their game's balancing properly by, for instance, making completely separate skill sets and trait lines for each game mode or blocking elite specs in PvP, or to add new map content to WvW?

The game got tailored to PvErs. The overly spammy skills. Low cooldowns. Absurd damage. Those classes that were dominating your guy's meta? Yea, PvPers and WvWers felt it ten times worst. The only spec that has not flourished in PvP because stupid mechanics to deal with high health targets like fractals or raids or zerf tactics is Renegade. Renegade legit cannot function in PVP. Every other popular class that people have fun in with open world and all that content? Absolutely bonkers at some point.

Chrono.
    Druid.
    Berserker.
    Holo.
    Scourges
    Firebrand.
    Mirage
    Tempest
    Spellbreaker

All of them were popular at some point or another and all of them were stupid in competitive to go up against in our competitive modes. So yes, even when us filthy PvPers/WvWers try to go to our designated areas, YOUR unbalanced mechanics balanced for PVE trickle into the other gamemodes and downright make it toxic for the people that enjoy the competition. Because all I've seen is PVERs defending balance saying things are 'too weak' or 'this is not fair, we deserve all of this.'

It blows my mind. Especially since PvPer/WvWers tend to know the classes better than by casual PvErs. The only people that don't have these kind of screeching outcrys are the raiders and I already see how they are treated by the 'casual' crowd.

• Luthan.5236Luthan.5236 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 16, 2019

Option already suggested in the past few weeks (and I think more than 1 other thread).
    Not happening. Doesn't fit with the lore and the core idea of having cooperation (all those group events). Even if it was manually and you could just decide not to opt in it would feel weird to have players suddenly fighting near you while you did other stuff.

Dueling and/or certain open world areas (arenas) would be the best option. Maybe make some on newer future maps.

• trixantea.1230trixantea.1230 Member ✭✭✭

Dynamic Events are a big part of what of GW2 offers as content. If they allow open world PvP, the world events will become a total mess.
    The maximum that this game can offer in terms of open world PvP is to allow dueling in some certain areas.

• vesica tempestas.1563vesica tempestas.1563 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 16, 2019

A comprimise could be a couple of the older unpopular zones where you can flag yourself on/off (and also block groups so no zerging) That's best of both worlds, negligible impact on pve, and a different type of open world pve.

Equally you could create a new wvw map designed for this setup. I other words same as existing wvw maps, but no keeps, option to switch off pvp. More pve content and designed to avoid zerging.

"Any path that narrows future possibilities may become a lethal trap. Humans do not thread their way through a maze; they scan a vast horizon filled with unique opportunities." - The Spacing Guild Handbook.

Beware the meta!

edited August 16, 2019

An idea that is coming to my mind is make an Undergroud City where there are no rules. It will be the same as LA but the dark version of it... One system to make order in the city could be player bounties depending on how much they've killed players, so this way you can put order in the city just by the players. There can be bounty hunters-like players who act as guards of the city and bandits-like players who just can exploit the city as much as it'possible. Depending on which side you are on can be decided like the scale in the vanilla gw2 for Honorable or Brute and depending on how you act you have the one scaled more than the other. The city can be populated and handled by all the baddies like nightmare court, inquests, aetherblades, white mantles, sons of svanir, burning legion etc. We can also get some different point of view and lore from them.

• lare.5129lare.5129 Member ✭✭✭✭

need open world pvp ? - go wvw and play.
    need 3+ page hype ? - open ''new discussion about open world pvp'

want solid balance ? - play chess.

• Rasimir.6239Rasimir.6239 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Gopaka.7839 said:
    PvE players on the other hand will get used to seeing players getting killed by other players

What makes you think that people want to get used to that? Personally I play this game precisely because I don't have to watch people bash in each others' heads if I don't want to.

I do my fair share of WvW roaming if I feel like it, spending roughly half my gametime on the borderlands these days. I don't want the competition, the aggressiveness, the general stressful athmosphere that any kind of pvp breeds when I'm in PvE. And yes, I do avoid farm maps as well as new living story maps, too, to find peaceful, relaxed PvE maps when I feel like it. I don't want to get used to the stress and aggression pvp breeds, I just want that to stay in its place, and leave the relaxed, peaceful PvE as is.

edited August 16, 2019

@Rasimir.6239 said:

@Gopaka.7839 said:
    An idea that is coming to my mind is make an Undergroud City where there are no rules.

That sounds like a pretty large developement project. Wouldn't those resources be better used to develop more content for the existing pvp modes (sPvP and WvW)?

No. The idea is to have this city in the open world on the open world map and not in the mists where you have to use the menu to enter it and then wait for queues for a match or border. The idea of an Underground City is different than competing. The idea is to have something different in the game than just a competition or points...PvP - reach 500 points, WvW - make the most points for the week. This is too repetitive and that's why it's getting boring. There must be a place where people who like PvP-ing is disconnected from all the points and the toxic competition of the mass. And yes I know there are guild arenas and sun's refuge and stuff. But there isn't a huge place that can gather a lot of players to just fight without disturbing the competing people and torn off the toxic behavior of the PvP/WvW where you have to fight in the ring, you have to go in groups to survive, you have to stay with the zerg. Maybe that was the whole point of me suggesting the open world PvP, just a free zone where you can chill and fight others from time to time while doing open world content events without disturbing the players who actually are trying hard to do something competitive and you are in their way or take place of someone who can be more capable than you.