What have been your Easiest and Hardest Professions to learn to play? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

What have been your Easiest and Hardest Professions to learn to play?

I'm a 95% PvE player.

I have found the Necro/Reaper to be Easiest for me. I can pop a couple minions for meat-shields and wade in on full tank-mode as a Reaper or stand back and use the staff for some AoE damage.

Every time I try to play an Engineer I find there's too many options and I'm overwhelmed. I'm going to try again from Lvl 01 and focus on one aspect, maybe turrets.

"That's what" -- She

Comments

• Tarlonniel.6534Tarlonniel.6534 Member ✭✭✭

Ranger was easiest, not surprisingly. Having a pet melee stuff while I pew pew from a safe distance is my standard playstyle. Necromancer might theoretically be better but I hate the aesthetic.

Hardest was probably thief.

• Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 15, 2019

Weaver was hardest. It clicked eventually although I don’t profess to be much of an expert.

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

• miraude.2107miraude.2107 Member ✭✭✭

Engineer was the easiest for me because I always forgot you could switch weapons and well, don't have to with them. I just wish the weapons were more even in comparison since I love pistol/shield but always tend to get whispers stating I should do ****** because it's better.

Think Revenant has been the hardest for me with Thief coming close. They just aren't clicking right and feel clunky in their energy mechanics. Right now, I'm just tossing tomes at both of them to get them to 80 and then be able to see if I can find a build that would work out for me however I hope it isn't a thing like the Engineer became where I can make it work for me but the open world/soloing won't be as kind.

• Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭

Core Ranger was easiest. Firebrand took a lot getting used to, because you can't attack with weapons while holding a tome (and two of the tomes are support only). Still have not discovered the appeal of playing Mesmer to date.

• Necro/ Reaper and Ranger were easiest for me. Most difficult? Elementalist and revenant. My favorite class is probably one most people find difficult - mesmer/ mirage.

• SexyMofo.8923SexyMofo.8923 Member ✭✭✭

Warrior is the hardest.

• Gop.8713Gop.8713 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 16, 2019

I was just chatting about this last night. I solo roamed forever on guard and was amazed at how much easier it was on rev once I tried that, to the point where it wasn't even really fun and I had to move on to another class . . .

I won't say engi is 'hard' exactly, but it does feel clunky compared to other classes. Ele hasn't been a lot of fun either really . . .

• i start with guardian in the original game. i think is the easiest. reaper minion is the laziest class. and what i play most of time, even i got 11 character in all class. weaver i think is the hardest to play with.

• kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

Easiest: core ranger
    Hardest: core engineer

I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

• Westenev.5289Westenev.5289 Member ✭✭✭✭

Easiest: Necromancer. It's really a braindead profession no matter how you build it.

Hardest: Hard to say. With the right gear and traits, even a squishy ele can become a sustain god.

• Revenant, Guardian, and Ranger were the easiest for me. Their odd variety of weapon choices drew me in more to learning to build and play as them.

Thief and Mesmer are the most difficult for me in terms of maximizing their potential with their mobility, dps, and survival.

Necro has half repeated mentions in the trait lines that confuse me as to how actually important it is vs how it functions, then you learn Concentration is virtually a dead stat.

Warrior, you build it, basic skills should be doing you fine unless you need to use your utilities.

Engi your utilities are either by your environment/survival needs or by what you want to do to enemies.

Ele, you gotta run through properly or not at all, but the theme of ele itself leaves me uninspired for what it can be toward Fashion Wars and let's be honest they're probably stumped by what to make Ele, Necro and Engi next expansion but not the other professions.

Elites:

Dragonhunter, Firebrand are difficult to do bad with.

Spellbreaker easier than warrior, Berserker same boat as warrior.

Mirage is easier than Chrono, Chrono takes some getting used to and staying planned, rehearsed, and sharp.

Daredevil dodges for days and is easier than core thief, Deadeye you don't need to be quite as mobile as common enemies drop dead before getting to you.

Druid more enjoyable than base ranger with the heals and support options, Soulbeast takes a second to figure out how you really want to use it and enjoy.

Herald is currently as easy to learn as base Revenant but you are generally stronger using it in terms of output potential, Renegade easier to learn than both and gives you meat shields to work with.

Scourge is condi and very supportive but takes appreciating it properly knowing to do it well, Reaper is strongest with power and pretty tanky because it's up close more.

I have yet to jump into Ele properly, so I cannot really do the elites a fair justice of judgment that mostly looks like me trying power builds and dying in a few seconds between skill wind up and cooldowns, otherwise Weaver DPS is amazing and Tempest is great healer potential.

Scrapper is as difficult as Engi but more effective in survival and dps, Holosmith is easier to learn and near same effectiveness value of Scrapper minus no remote functionality like gyros.

• The first class I started with was the engineer, so... my perspective on this is skewed. Personally, I'd rather rank it by particular builds rather than professions, since that varies much more than anything else. I learned the basics for most of these professions in the wild west days of GW2 PVE, and from there learning the max DEEPS rotation was just learning to run with the tools I already walk with.

Easiest was power herald. At HoT Launch, power herald was basically sword 2 -> sword 3 spam with toggles. Also, I could gauge the right distance to have coalescence of ruin to hit twice, which just obliterated everything. At this point, I was basically a vet, so picking up a new class wasn't that hard.

Hardest... it is a tie between two. The elementalist is one of the harder ones to pick up, not only because it is so frail, but also because when I picked it up, the staff camping tactics weren't discovered yet. I created this crazy mix of fire/air/arcane that alternated between all boons to pulse out buffs to everyone around me. It was hard to play, and it required a lot of skill and practice to pull off.

The other hard one is the Warrior. You're probably thinking: "Wait, isn't warrior one of the easiest ones to play?" Well, you're right. See, 7 years ago was long before fibromyalgia melted my brain. I was actually quite smart back then. I used to do calculus for fun. Picking up the engineer wasn't that hard at all, because I could quickly learn all of the skills that they had, and I could assess the situation and come up with a solution. With an active mind, a jack-of-all-trades swiss army knife is one of the best things to play, because it let me solve problems as I saw fit.

Warrior, however, I started only a few months ago. My body is wracked with a debilitating disease that makes it so thinking hurts, concentrating hurts, trying hard in game makes me dizzy, and I can't remember my own phone number anymore. Learning a new class under these conditions is... not ideal. Even if the DPS rotation for banner berserker is just f1 spam with intermittent axe skills, I can't remember their order for the life of me and my hands refuse to pick up the rhythm of the class. I have to mouse click half of the skills because my hands just don't move anymore.

"Self awareness is knowing when you're sitting at the throne of ignorance." --Leo G.

• Naxos.2503Naxos.2503 Member ✭✭✭

Necromancer and guardian were my easiest. Although one might say that my necromancer build is very specific, and so I probably am not "using it right" based on most necroes.

Elementalist remains the only class that I'm not using well regardless of circumstances. This class is so scattered, I cant for the life of me makes anything worthwhile with it. Engineer is relatively complex, but I got a fair handle on it now, given it was my starting class, and I've actively mained it for 5 years.

• Luthan.5236Luthan.5236 Member ✭✭✭

Only playing core so far. And I played from release until end 2013. Then after a long break back to the game in June 2019. I had engineer, guardian, elementalist and ranger to level 80 by end 2013. Thief about level 70ish. Mesmer, warrior and Necro were pretty new and I just started leveling those 3 (+ thief) to level 80 manually by doing story and some core map completions.

Necro, warrior and guardian felt pretty easy. Warrior tons of damage already with underleveled gear and without lots of player skill. For necro the many pets help. Guardian similar to warrior but more survivability/heal skills.

Most trouble I have with thief/ranger. But ranger only back then when I still had underleveled gear while leveling. I missed a b it more AoE options with 1h sword (bow snd weapon set) and finally some exotic gear it felt nice + with the pet for survivability. Thief ... similar problem: Missing some AoE a bit ... less survivability. I don't know how it will play when soon I upgrade to exotic gear for level 80 char.

Middle tier are the remaining ones: Mesmer, engineer and elementalist. Elementalist has hard rotations that require lots of skill. But also that moving while damaging (keeping you outside of danger a bit) skills I remember especially in the fire attunement dagger and staff. Was okay in combination with some survival skills (arcane shield and mist form).

Engineer was my first char. Played him wrong. (Trying for turrets and stuff.) And I'm not even playing him efficiently most of the time ... but running around with bombds and tons of knockbacks (rifle, gadgets) while having mixed set of gear (a bit toughness) and lots of survival skills ... make him lower dps (when not played at 100 percent efficiency for dps) but easy to survive and I have most hours played on him - my main char.

Mesmer felt harder in 2013. When I came back ... maybe because I got better or because of changes ot the core skills ... feels nice so far. AoE from shatter is good. Also sword skill 2, time warp elite for additional/faster damage ... and the temporal curtain for pulling enemies at 1 point ...doesn't feel to hard and that without lots of skill. (I consider myself not a skilled player at button acrobatics and quick/complicated rotations.)

• At 80th it's mostly down to finding a build I like for each profession.

Even so, the easiest to play is either my staff Daredevil or my Scourge.

Hardest is by miles and away the weaver. I seem to have a continuous brainfart every time I log on with it.

Leveling back in gw2 before the expansions, the easiest to learn was Ranger for the meat shield pewpew playstyle. Hardest was probably the mesmer as it took forever to get anywhere in anything.

• Knighthonor.4061Knighthonor.4061 Member ✭✭✭✭

Thief, Mesmer, Ele
    been hardest.
    I havent got the hang of stealth builds.

Revenant, Warrior, Ranger easiest

• Ele hardest, Rev easiest.
    Thief, got bored after 5h, never returned.
    Engi, warrior, guard, mesmer, necro are all middle ground. But while mesmer, guard, engi and even warrior are somewhat enjoyable, necro is not.

• Fat Disgrace.4275Fat Disgrace.4275 Member ✭✭✭✭

Pve? They are all easy ain't they ?

• Ranger still easiest for me, it's been my staple profession since GW1 and I'm still able to pick it up with relative ease.
    I think so far Core Rev is my hardest. Just more difficult to sustain for me. Probably died more times on it until I finally got Renegade for the bow.

• Mea.5491Mea.5491 Member ✭✭✭✭

Easiest: Necro, Guard.
    Hardest: Thief. After 7 years, I'm still bad at Initiative management, I prefer cooldowns.

• Udolpho.1209Udolpho.1209 Member ✭✭✭

Warrior was easiest to get into. But Necro, Ranger, Guardian were not bad either.

Hardest for me is Mesmer. I have a mental block when it comes to Mesmer.

@Game of Bones.8975 said:
    Every time I try to play an Engineer I find there's too many options and I'm overwhelmed. I'm going to try again from Lvl 01 and focus on one aspect, maybe turrets.

Try the holosmith out, if you can stand getting up to 80 and getting the hero points. I'm finding it more fun than core engi. Maybe this open world build would work since it mainly uses the bomb kit?

• Ultramex.1506Ultramex.1506 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 16, 2019

Hardest? dodging with squishy classes. Easiest? high health pool classes and using range

• Game of Bones.8975Game of Bones.8975 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Udolpho.1209 said:
    Try the holosmith out, if you can stand getting up to 80 and getting the hero points. I'm finding it more fun than core engi. Maybe this open world build would work since it mainly uses the bomb kit?

Thanks.
    I have a few tomes to get to Lvl 50ish and could skip a bit closer using crafting and finish it all up with exp. boosters.
    I won't buy a Lvl 80 Boost on a character I may/not keep for long.

I appreciate everyone who has responded here. I'm glad many people have the same feelings toward certain professions as I do. I feel a bit more normal.

"That's what" -- She

• Goettel.4389Goettel.4389 Member ✭✭✭✭

None of the revenants have clicked with me yet, nor have weavers and chronos. I found elementalist/tempest to be hard in the beginning, but tempest is now my most confident profession. MM necro is easiest to me, with spamming scrapper grenades a close second.

• Necro Reaper, Revanant and Warrior Berserk i consider the easiest class for me
    The hardest class for me it Elementalist( core + elite specialization) plus Mesmer, i still can't do the rotation properly.

• I'm not sure about the hardest for me. My first three characters were Engineer, Mesmer, and Elementalist - so my early impressions of the game were that it was fairly hard in general! In some ways Engineer was hardest, because I was also learning the game as a whole - but I think Mesmer was the one I found hardest to level, and Ele I found the hardest to complete story instances with.

The easiest for me was definitely Ranger. Necro is also pretty easy, but I think Ranger has a few features that make it easier: it always has a pet (whereas Necro minions take up utility skill slots), it has much better mobility, and nothing about it isn't totally straightforward (whereas Necro has the shroud mechanic and self-inflicted conditions).

Out of the elite specs, I found Weaver the hardest to learn. I think it's the most dependent on having a well-thought-out selection of gear, traits and skills and a working knowledge of what its weapon skills do. The elite spec I found easiest to learn was Mirage: condition Mirage in particular is so overpowered that even with a somewhat random assortment of gear and very little idea what you're doing, the enemies really do just melt away.

• Tukaram.8256Tukaram.8256 Member ✭✭✭

Easiest for me was necro (minions/marks), and ranger (pet/longbow). My necro is better for solo play.
    Hardest for me was revenant and elementalist. never could get either them to be even halfway survivable.

I think it comes down to playstyle more than anything else.

• Omnicron.2467Omnicron.2467 Member ✭✭✭

Easy for me was: Warrior, Necromancer (Reaper), Guardian, Ranger. These were very easy to pick up and get good at quickly

Medium difficulty was: Mesmer, Engineer, and Thief. There are some mechanics to get used to, but once you play them for a few hours you are ok

Hard was Elementalist and Revenant. The energy mechanics are just very hard to get used to for me and I deleted my Rev. I kind of got used to weaver but it took a lot of practice

• Game of Bones.8975Game of Bones.8975 Member ✭✭✭✭

For those of you who are having difficulty with the Revenant: as soon as the Renegade came out, I was hooked.

I loved the aspect of calling support barrages through the mists, the versatility of the short bow, and then there's the name to top it off.

I understand why they use a s/b as opposed to a l/b, they are front-, mid-line fighters.

I only wish there was an armor that looked more like leather, or at least less bulky, to show that they are very mobile and dodge quite easily. I may have to break down and buy an outfit.

"That's what" -- She

• Fenella.2634Fenella.2634 Member ✭✭✭

Depends. Do you mean easy to stay alive on and get something done in general, or easy to really learn?
    It's easy to run with a minion necro in OW and survive. However, playing the class efficiently cannot be done "brain afk". That does take some thought and practise.

For just getting started on a new character, I found thief, engi and ranger pretty easy and forgiving. Memser too, I guess.
    Starting out on warrior was so far pretty impossible for me, I even had trouble in story missions.
    Ele, guardian, necro and rev are somewhere in between.

Learning to play a class well is a different matter and I have not played all classes that far yet. So far, I'm most confident in my scourge necro, fresh air tempest (pretty easy really) and thief. Engi and rev might turn out a bit more complex than I expected. Warrior is my end boss in this game. :lol: No clue how to ever play that right, but maybe I'll figure it out someday.

• Mirage was my easiest, core mes was my hardest lol

• starhunter.6015starhunter.6015 Member ✭✭✭

Necro and Ranger are easiest for me, hardest would be Firebrand and Weaver. mad props to those who can play the piano lol

• aspirine.6852aspirine.6852 Member ✭✭✭✭

Necro Ranger and Warrior are the easiest.
    Hardest for me is elementalist. Way too many button clicking and mostly terrible skills to play around with. It got even worse with weaver, you are now hurting yourself by playing what was an easy class in GW1.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.