Are there things that felt disturbing/uncomfortable/disgusting in GW2? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Are there things that felt disturbing/uncomfortable/disgusting in GW2?

Have there been any story lines, dialogue, events, random little details, skills, sound effects or something else that made you feel discomfort or disgust?

What comes to my mind is this piece of dialogue:

Champion Drakin Cinderspire: We can cover this land in fire. We shall see the citadels alight!
Champion Drakin Cinderspire: All shall bow. All shall have the truth burned into them.
Champion Drakin Cinderspire: We shall rise and cleanse this world of the weak and unfaithful.
Champion Drakin Cinderspire: Oh, woman playing soldier. We have a space in the breeding farms for your insolence. Surrender and atone!
Legionnaire Vesta Scorchpath: Not now. Not ever. Besides, we have a message for you.
Champion Drakin Cinderspire: Speak before I burn your tongues away.

<13

Comments

  • Dante.1763Dante.1763 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Lines like that is why i RP the Charr i do when im doing RP. Theres more around, but thats the most blatant obvious one i think.

    Amana Silentchild; My Main
    Ember Wandertooth; The Kingslayer, Kianda Redpaw; The Blazing Light
    Why GW is Called Guildwars

  • Mouse.7382Mouse.7382 Member ✭✭✭

    @ugrakarma.9416 said:
    lol gw2 age rate is for those under 9 years old and no one warned me?

    i would love see gw2 more lines like Conan the Barbarian movie:

    "The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."

    Omg...too funny. I just last night was sitting in bed, and wanted to watch an old classic...so I fired this bad boy movie up on Netflix. Man. The blonde woman (Conans lover), still looks good at nearly 70 yrs!

  • Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I'm still disgusted with the sound of the Jacaranda ranger pet. Makes the hair on my neck stand up.

  • knomslayer.9457knomslayer.9457 Member ✭✭✭

    During the Dragon Bash event. Everytime im racing there is this guy waving at me for no reason. Every single time. Its anoying :lol:

  • HnRkLnXqZ.1870HnRkLnXqZ.1870 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 17, 2019

    I am old fashioned when it comes to NPC dialogue. They are not evil if they do not act evil.

    For years I was happy with GW2, as one of the few MMORPGs which did not use real crocodiles as enemies. I am not a huge fan of those creatures to say the least, I almost petrify when I just see a picture of them. Some people are scared of spiders, I am scared of those. However with Path of Fire, they have introduced crocodile skinned scale drakes. I found that pool in Elon Riverlands, took me weeks to collect enough courage to dive into it. But the most horrible enounter is Muck Stalker in the Desolation. I just hate this thing, its regenerative ability does not make the encounter any better. The crocodiles of PoF and the descent into the Primal Kin gave me shivers.

  • Profession balance. 😁

  • Tarlonniel.6534Tarlonniel.6534 Member ✭✭✭

    Playing as a charr. I only made that mistake once.

    Too bad we can't start among the Olmakhan.

  • things that are truely disgusting:

    Drakin Cinderspire: bugged for years, not fixed
    Brugg: bugged for years, not fixed
    half of Orr: bugged for years, not fixed
    Zhaitan fight: bugged for years, not fixed
    etc pp.

    compared to that disgusting, sickening display, some lines aren't really that much to endure.

  • Ashen.2907Ashen.2907 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Fenom.9457 said:

    @Ashen.2907 said:
    The instance where we took Caithe's place and committed her heinous crimes for her, absolving her of any guilt for her actions, taking on that burden ourselves. This was the moment where I stopped caring about the story, the characters, etc. I was so disgusted with the writing that GW2 stopped being an RPG for me and became just a combat simulator.

    You’re not taking on the blame for her - you just view the memories, she still did it all herself

    I am required to control her actions during this period. If I was just observing then I wouldnt be in control of her actions. Similarly, if it wasnt me then my armor wouldnt have needed repair after the instance.

  • Looking for things or opinions that are uncomfortable is a dangerous game. People can be disgusted and uncomfortable in many ways, justified in one's mind or not, it is subjective and sometimes charged with dangerous intent. Being disgusted generally goes hand in hand with offended so your question / topic may just well be disgusting and uncomfortable, :)

  • The treatment of many of the GW1 NPCs is hard, particularly Koss, Tahlkora and Devona.

  • Bloodstealer.5978Bloodstealer.5978 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I'm rich you know..... eek run, run for your lives!

    Life is what YOU make it... NOT what others tell you!

  • Westenev.5289Westenev.5289 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 17, 2019

    I replay the Human storyline a lot. One thing I noticed in the "commoner" story is that lieutenant Francis has different lines depending on whether you help the orphanage or the hospital. When he helps the hospital, he clearly states "We got all the people out, sir, but so far we haven't found any–". When at the orphanage, he stands infront of a baracaded door saying "By the gods! Get those people clear! The whole building's coming down!!"

    There's little to no indication that he was able to get anyone out of the orphanage.

    If I didn't know any better, Francis baracaded the doors and left the priestesses and children to cook.

  • When the "bash the dragon" song plays without the words and the only thing that plays in my head is "In the Navy" by the Village People

  • Linken.6345Linken.6345 Member ✭✭✭✭
  • AlexxxDelta.1806AlexxxDelta.1806 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 18, 2019

    Villains saying villainous things. As they should. I actually think this game needs even more like these.

    If I wanted villains giving me perfect, PC speeches about rainbows and unicorns, I'd play RL.

  • Goettel.4389Goettel.4389 Member ✭✭✭✭

    No, it's a game.

  • RoseofGilead.8907RoseofGilead.8907 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Poormany.4507 said:
    Definitely Tahlkora:

    Having always had her in my GW1 party as a monk and watching her development during Nightfall, seeing her after Joko had her blinded, her tongue cut off, and put on the brink of death for eternity was definitely one of the most jarring thing I've seen in GW2.

    Agreed. I'd actually forgotten about that whole bit, but I definitely remember it now.

    Oh look. I have a signature now.

  • Gop.8713Gop.8713 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Dante.1763 said:

    @Vlad Morbius.1759 said:

    @Cerioth.7062 said:
    Have there been any story lines, dialogue, events, random little details, skills, sound effects or something else that made you feel discomfort or disgust?

    What comes to my mind is this piece of dialogue:

    Champion Drakin Cinderspire: We can cover this land in fire. We shall see the citadels alight!
    Champion Drakin Cinderspire: All shall bow. All shall have the truth burned into them.
    Champion Drakin Cinderspire: We shall rise and cleanse this world of the weak and unfaithful.
    Champion Drakin Cinderspire: Oh, woman playing soldier. We have a space in the breeding farms for your insolence. Surrender and atone!
    Legionnaire Vesta Scorchpath: Not now. Not ever. Besides, we have a message for you.
    Champion Drakin Cinderspire: Speak before I burn your tongues away.

    Political correctness gone overboard. I'm sorry but if you're offended by anything in a video game you need to step back and get help. I'm sick and tired of every want to be PC warrior screwing with my life and my fun because they spend their time trying to find something to complain about. This game is rated, if you didn't want to see or experience these things then maybe you should have read up about it, and if you're a long time player; shame on you for attention grabbing!

    Its funny, cause nowhere in that post does they say the word offended.

    You can be disgusted by the thought of something without being offended by it, its not a bad thing either. In my RP sessions ive seen or done things that have made me feel disgusted or angry, its -normal- to feel things when exposed to ideas that -are- awful. Breeding farms? JFC if it was found somebody was running one in real life id be disgusted!! Offended though? No.

    Thank you. It's frustrating how so many ppl seem so eager to be offended these days :/

    If a narrative never makes you feel uncomfortable it's a bad narrative, either bc it has failed to engage you or bc it's too bland to challenge you . . .

    I'm sure there are a lot of examples but the first thing OP made me think of is how much patricide there is in the charr personal story . . .

    @Westenev.5289 said:
    I replay the Human storyline a lot. One thing I noticed in the "commoner" story is that lieutenant Francis has different lines depending on whether you help the orphanage or the hospital. When he helps the hospital, he clearly states "We got all the people out, sir, but so far we haven't found any–". When at the orphanage, he stands infront of a baracaded door saying "By the gods! Get those people clear! The whole building's coming down!!"

    There's little to no indication that he was able to get anyone out of the orphanage.

    If I didn't know any better, Francis baracaded the doors and left the priestesses and children to cook.

    I didn't remember the exact dialogue but I knew there was a reason I always pick the orphans on my human keyruns :p

    There is another part of one of the human personal stories where you have to choose between saving your friend or saving dr's water supply. If you choose your friend there is some npc dialogue later on about how some ppl died from the poisoned water. Other than that there are several stories where the npcs try to make you feel guilty about choosing the greater good over helping or being loyal to some individual. I always feel like shouting at them "That's why they call it the greater good ! ! ! "

  • Irreverent.3594Irreverent.3594 Member ✭✭✭

    Cats. GW2 has weirdest looking cats in history of MMO cats. Their faces... oh no one is staring at me right now... i... i think they are up to

  • XenoSpyro.1780XenoSpyro.1780 Member ✭✭✭

    If anything this game isn't disturbing or disgusting enough. Doesn't even deserve its softest of all T ratings really. Can someone make a Brutal Gw2 mod pl0x?

    @Irreverent.3594 said:
    Cats. GW2 has weirdest looking cats in history of MMO cats. Their faces... oh no one is staring at me right now... i... i think they are up to

    Got nothing on Low Detail chicken portraits.

  • @AnakinJeakin.1604 said:
    When the "bash the dragon" song plays without the words and the only thing that plays in my head is "In the Navy" by the Village People

    Lol. I thought it was just me. I spent most of that festival with "In the Navy" stuck in my head.

  • Fenella.2634Fenella.2634 Member ✭✭✭

    Being forced to join the Shining Blade.
    Actually, pretty much everything concerning Lazarus and Livia.

    I wont replay this episode anytime soon and usually just try to forget it exists.

  • Drakz.7051Drakz.7051 Member ✭✭

    Probably how crappy they treat Caithe and for the length of time (Even though she acted on good reason) compared to when Rytlock unleashes a god onto the planet and he is forgiven in 2 seconds.

  • @Ashen.2907 said:
    The instance where we took Caithe's place and committed her heinous crimes for her, absolving her of any guilt for her actions, taking on that burden ourselves. This was the moment where I stopped caring about the story, the characters, etc. I was so disgusted with the writing that GW2 stopped being an RPG for me and became just a combat simulator.

    You are aware those instances were meant to be flashbacks, right? Just because the players took control of her doesn't mean she didn't do it, we were literally reliving her memories.

  • sorudo.9054sorudo.9054 Member ✭✭✭✭

    the lack of quests, when playing this game for over 7 years and only having hearts i start longing for quests, even fetch quests are better than this boring chore.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.