Rising Momentum + Impossible Odds

mrauls.6519

RM does stack with other movement speed boosts (Swiftness being the most common), but it's still not that effective.

Why?

• Out of combat, you can reach max movement speed with just 36% movement speed increase. Swiftness is 33%, meaning anything beyond the 3% gap between 33% and 36% is wasted.
  • In combat, your backpeddle and strafe speeds are locked and can't be changed (except possibly by Superspeed -- I'm not sure on that one). Forward speed can be raised, however.

The end result is that RM is virtually useless except in direct forward movement during combat, and no other situation.

@gateless gate.8406 said:

• In combat, your backpeddle and strafe speeds are locked and can't be changed (except possibly by Superspeed -- I'm not sure on that one). Forward speed can be raised, however.

The end result is that RM is virtually useless except in direct forward movement during combat, and no other situation.

I’m fairly certain movement speed effects do indeed affect backpedaling and strafing. I couldn’t find any evidence to support that they don’t on the wiki or forums. They’re certainly less speed than forward motion, but It would be strange for movement increases to not influence all movement. I’ll test it when I get home later just to make sure

@LucianTheAngelic.7054 said:

@"gateless gate.8406" said:

I’m fairly certain movement speed effects do indeed affect backpedaling and strafing. I couldn’t find any evidence to support that they don’t on the wiki or forums. They’re certainly less speed than forward motion, but It would be strange for movement increases to not influence all movement. I’ll test it when I get home later just to make sure

Fairly certain based on what?

I just tested it today; flipping on/off Shiro's Impossible Odds while strafing or backpeddling produced zero discernible effect. Obviously such a large modifier should produce an easily discernible difference, but it did not.

Here is some additional confirmation: https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/9wyjek/to_clear_up_some_confusion_around_rune_of_speed/e9oj75c/?context=8&depth=9

@gateless gate.8406 said:

I just tested it today; flipping on/off Shiro's Impossible Odds while strafing or backpeddling produced zero discernible effect. Obviously such a large modifier should produce an easily discernible difference, but it did not.

Here is some additional confirmation:

Was fairly certain based on my own memory and the lack of a mention of it on the wiki, but apparently I'm completely and totally wrong after testing it. Funny how you can play the game for 6+ years and not necessarily notice small details like that. I think some of it is that I don't utilize strafe much unless I'm using ranged weapons (because diagonal movement is still "forward movement"), so probably just never noticed that swiftness/traveller runes/etc. weren't actually increasing my strafe speed. And that's another thing, Traveller Runes (which I run on my Open World Renegade a lot) would "always be in effect" so it's not something I would notice anyway.

Also I tested Superspeed with it just to help clarify your initial post and unfortunately Superspeed does not increase the strafe movement at all. Also worth noting that Strafe and Backpeddle are always the same speed regardless of in combat or out of combat. Anyway, thank you for bringing this to my attention! Always nice to learn new things

Lastly, if anyone here edits the Wiki (I don't) should add somewhere under "Movement Speed" that Strafe and Backpeddle can't be increased at all. There's currently no mention of the fact it can't be increased

@LucianTheAngelic.7054 said:

Here is some additional confirmation:

Was fairly certain based on my own memory and the lack of a mention of it on the wiki, but apparently I'm completely and totally wrong after testing it. Funny how you can play the game for 6+ years and not necessarily notice small details like that. I think some of it is that I don't utilize strafe much unless I'm using ranged weapons (because diagonal movement is still "forward movement"), so probably just never noticed that swiftness/traveller runes/etc. weren't actually increasing my strafe speed. And that's another thing, Traveller Runes (which I run on my Open World Renegade a lot) would "always be in effect" so it's not something I would notice anyway.

Also I tested Superspeed with it just to help clarify your initial post and unfortunately Superspeed does not increase the strafe movement at all. Also worth noting that Strafe and Backpeddle are always the same speed regardless of in combat or out of combat. Anyway, thank you for bringing this to my attention! Always nice to learn new things

Lastly, if anyone here edits the Wiki (I don't) should add somewhere under "Movement Speed" that Strafe and Backpeddle can't be increased at all. There's currently no mention of the fact it can't be increased

No worries, it's very true how even veterans can miss these weird details.

I use my Herald as my laidback open world character (with hammer as my primary weapon), so I was quite disappointed finding out that strafe speed can't be modified.

Thanks for testing Superspeed as well, good to know.