Mastery Popup will not go away — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Mastery Popup will not go away

I have boosted a character, and as such, do not have masteries unlocked. Because of this Everytime I kill something I get the "Your current ability is fully trained and ready to master!"

I do not want to skip content just to get rid of an obnoxious, inconvenient, nuisance of a popup. There is no way to turn this off.
I have also submitted several bug reports regarding this. Please advise on how to turn off this pop up that is nothing but inconvenient.

Comments

• At this time, the only way to turn it off is to unlock Masteries in either Heart of Thorns, Path of Fire, or perhaps, one of Living World Season 3 maps.

Good luck.

• I agree this is really annoying. I was holding the two level 80 boosts I got to play the whole game with my first character. When I got to level 80 and filled up the Mastery bar the game kept flooding me with this message. I had to skip the part where I was in the story (I hadn't finished the level 70 story missions yet because I was going through dungeons and exploring the open world) to complete the first two Heart of Thorns chapters, just to make it stop. It was terrible lore-wise, because 1) I was forced through many spoilers and 2) it completly broke the story-line I was in until that point. What the hell was that for? I don't get it. Why can't you let the player follow his own pace once level 80 is reached?

• Charrbeque.8729Charrbeque.8729 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2017

Only occurs if your Pact Commander mastery isn't completed.
    Only occurs on level 80 characters.

When HoT launched I had enough Central Tyria mastery points and completed Pact Commander first. Afterwards this pop-up had gone away, even before I had fractal and legendary mastery tracks fully completed. I don't get the pop up anywhere in the HoT maps, even though I haven't obtained enough mastery points to finish them, and I never had the pop-up after PoF had launched.

My uncle doesn't have Pact Commander mastery completed yet and has been complaining for a while about this pop-up. He says it happens only on level 80 characters, as soon as he eventually levels them up (he doesn't use boosters or anything and levels up characters the old fashioned way: personal story and just general killing stuff). After he got enough mastery points to unlock another tier in Pact Commander, the pop-up went away until the XP bar was full again and he didn't have enough points to unlock the next tier.

So I've concluded it has to do with not having the Pact Commander mastery track fully completed, and it only happens when you play level 80 characters.

• As a new player, I've spent my first week here falling in love with the richness and complexity of the world the GW 2 developers have created. Given how well done the game is generally, these mastery popups are especially jarring and obnoxious. Most of this past week I've been playing with different races and classes to get a feel for the game and to see which initial direction I wanted to go into more deeply. So it was only this morning, exactly a week after I started the game, that I boosted a character and settled down to work through the story lines. Now those mastery popups are jumping out every few minutes. To stop them, it seems I have to stop following the story sequentially and jump ahead to the middle of a chapter I haven't even gotten to yet. That is just a ridiculous, unnecessary bug. What I am also very much noticing, as a new player, is that the op in this topic is dated October 7, more than two months from the day I am posting this one. Two months without any apparent official response to a bug report? I hope that is an anomaly and not SOP around here.

• Mitko.2845Mitko.2845 Member
    edited December 11, 2017

Yes, this popup forces players to hunt mastery points although they may want to do other things ... with blocked chat console :( The notification in the skill system is much better than in the mastery system.

• If you've done your Personal Story, you gain one Central Tyria mastery point for each chapter you've completed once you've acquired an expansion. These were probably the ones that forced your screen to nag you like heck.

I'm not going to defend the over-nagging though: I agree that the game needs to be a lot more kind with how/when to nag you.

"I may not have my shinies anymore, but I'm still an honorary skritt!"
    Roaming skritt needs caffeine badly.
    Oldschool electronic music enthusiast.

• I think that the problem is solved by some of recent updates. Now I have a full XP bar but not enough mastery points to spend and this pop-up no longer appears :) Thanks!

• I made a new character a few months back and used a Birthday Celebration level boost I had to make me immediately level 60. Been doing the story with this character over the last few days and finally hit level 80 around the level 60 story part, and this pop-up honestly turns me off from playing the game. It covers the whole chat window and is just pointless. It happens after every single combat too! I don't want to miss out on tonnes of story just because of this pop-up but it is making the game less fun by the minute.

• This kitten is so kitten annoying.

• This is completely ruining the game for me. I've not completed the story and therefore don't have access to masteries in the first place. Please fix this ArenaNet. This has been an issue for at least 4 months apparently. This is unacceptable.

• Please fix this or tell me what I can do to make the prompt stop showing up. Once a day would be fine but the way it is not it shows up almost immediately after being cancelled. I don't want to play ahead just to make this useless prompt stay away.

• I am starting to regret putting money towards Anet. Not only do I still have to buy Season 2, I get annoyed by popups asking me to do things I can't do, because it's designed in a way I can't do that.

IOW: Is there still no way to get rid of this ..... popup?

At a time, I liked my account name. But by now I'd prefer to use my character name - Rejutka Lupex.
    I guess on Tyria, an account name is like a tattoo - hard to change, almost impossible to remove :-)

• You can always start the HoT or PoF story; that would alleviate the pop-up.
    Not sure why you have to purchase Season 2, unless you desire to play through the story; the alternatives are exchanging Gold for Gems, or join another player in their S2 story.

Good luck.

• This is really annoying as I don't even have the two expansions on my account that it requires to unlock Mastery of. Please Please Please for Gods sake stop it from repeatedly poping up on my characters every time I fight something. It doesn't even apply to me at this point.

• Go figure.
    I've run into this garbage, too.
    It's a horrible, annoying distraction and needs to be ripped out of the game with prejudice, the same way it rips me clear out of it.
    This has made the game supremely unenjoyable for me.

• @OroCrimson.3618 said:
    This is completely ruining the game for me. I've not completed the story and therefore don't have access to masteries in the first place. Please fix this ArenaNet. This has been an issue for at least 4 months apparently. This is unacceptable.

June 18 and still an issue...

• @Nodorf.6580 said:

@OroCrimson.3618 said:
    This is completely ruining the game for me. I've not completed the story and therefore don't have access to masteries in the first place. Please fix this ArenaNet. This has been an issue for at least 4 months apparently. This is unacceptable.

June 18 and still an issue...

June 22nd, and yep, still happening. If the pop-up were less obtrusive, or less frequent, it wouldn't be as big of a deal. But no, its big, its obnoxious, and it pops up every. single. time. I kill something. This is completely unacceptable. I shouldn't have to skip a bunch of story content just to get rid of an issue that should never have existed to begin with.

• Yeah I just boosted my first character to 80 and enjoying the story, but I had to google how to disable this mastery pop up it covers my chat window all the time, it's a shame there seems to be no way to stop it without skipping ahead. I'd rather do the story in order...

• Zushada.6108Zushada.6108 Member ✭✭✭

That irritating pop up worked wonders for me... I bought HoT back in the day just to get rid of it. ;)

• This is really annoying, I have both expansions and did spent some 6 mastery points for all three branches. Still nagging on everyting, especially now, I've found some jumping puzzle or something "Second Aetherblade Site" which makes the stupid pop-up appear constantly on being ejected by the pads. Make it timed or something, IDK. Just not like it is now. :angry: >:C

• Inculpatus cedo.9234Inculpatus cedo.9234 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Khallexziel.4327 said:
    This is really annoying, I have both expansions and did spent some 6 mastery points for all three branches. Still nagging on everyting, especially now, I've found some jumping puzzle or something "Second Aetherblade Site" which makes the stupid pop-up appear constantly on being ejected by the pads. Make it timed or something, IDK. Just not like it is now. :angry: >:C

Then, you are experiencing a different issue than what is being discussed in this thread. Have you tried a -repair of the client, or contacting the CS Team via the 'Support' link above/below?

• @Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

@Khallexziel.4327 said:
    This is really annoying, I have both expansions and did spent some 6 mastery points for all three branches. Still nagging on everyting, especially now, I've found some jumping puzzle or something "Second Aetherblade Site" which makes the stupid pop-up appear constantly on being ejected by the pads. Make it timed or something, IDK. Just not like it is now. :angry: >:C

Then, you are experiencing a different issue than what is being discussed in this thread. Have you tried a -repair of the client, or contacting the CS Team via the 'Support' link above/below?

Repair of the client? I wouldn't think that it can change the way, the UI is working. Will see what happens again now, since I've gained some more points (13 total spent across all masteries) and I'm still filling up the XP. Might be a different problem as you say but previously it was getting triggered even from other things, not just the jumping pads.

• This is such a stupid issue. I've left half way through Chapter One of Living World Season 2 just to get rid of this. Now I have to progress through spoilers just to get rid of this?

• This is not just an issue prior to unlocking masteries. I currently don't have enough mastery points to level up, and my xp bar is maxed, so whenever I do something that would grant me xp, that annoying thing starts to flash. So it's not just a matter of "go unlock masteries".

• IT IS JUST SOOOOOO ANNOYING!!!!! I'm on level 80, doing the last chapters of the story and this window pop up all the time... I wanna enjoy for the story line and missions, but I just get mad all the time!!!! Please, please, please!!! Do something with this! I really like this game, till now this was my only one problem, but man, sooo annoying!!!!

• Agreed, this is super annoying. And it won't go away once you've unlocked masteries/etc.; it will just pop up and reappear annoyingly any time you get to a full XP bar, regardless of whether or not you have enough mastery points for whatever the next thing you want to unlock is. Please, Arenanet, just make it appears once per session, or once per login, or something. We don't need the annoying popup after every single instance of potential XP gain. We know we've got a full XP bar, we really do.

• OP = October 7, 2017
    Today = November 15, 2018
    That's over a year with no resolution.
    I bought the expansion 12 days ago, just got to level 80 today.
    Then I ran into this unaddressed bug and find it game-breaking. I am getting a refund.

• @Gorkus.7496 said:
    OP = October 7, 2017
    Then I ran into this unaddressed bug and find it game-breaking. I am getting a refund.

This popup is driving me absolutely nuts too. Did you ever get in contact with customer support, and if so, what did they say?

• @Windfreeze.4701 said:

@Gorkus.7496 said:
    OP = October 7, 2017

This popup is driving me absolutely nuts too. Did you ever get in contact with customer support, and if so, what did they say?

Yeah, I did. The response was something like "sorry we aren't doing a thing about it, but know it's driving me nuts too."

• @Gorkus.7496 said:

@Windfreeze.4701 said:

@Gorkus.7496 said:
    OP = October 7, 2017

Yeah, I did. The response was something like "sorry we aren't doing a thing about it, but know it's driving me nuts too."

Me too! I sent in a ticket and that's basically what they said. However, they did tell me how to "get rid" of it, sort of. This is the reply I got:

"Thank you for getting back to us. I had the exact same issue when I first hit level 80. The easiest way to stop those pop-ups is to move into your Heart of Thorns or Path of Fire content. Get your first Mastery Point and the pop-ups will only appear when it really is time to change something. As soon as you do, you have the freedom to move back to the storyline you were doing previously. (I did myself)"

So I did that. However, in doing so, I got to play through like 30 minutes of stuff with characters I had no idea about referencing things that were basically spoilers unbeknownst to me at the time. I also can't guarantee that's what fixed it, because right around the same time I did that, I'd gotten enough central Tyria mastery points to finish the Pact Commander line and begin training something else. I haven't seen the popup since however, despite running around Central Tyria with my Legendary Crafting line ready to be mastered (despite not having points for doing so, which is what caused the popups in the first place.) So perhaps their suggestion fixed it, or perhaps finishing the Pact Commander line fixed it, or perhaps it somehow fixed itself. Or perhaps it'll come back some day and I'll kick a chair through the wall. Who knows. I hope their suggestion, paired with what I did, helps someone out though. Good luck, guys.

• This is still an issue and a major annoyance. Im about done.

• Gorkus.7496Gorkus.7496 Member ✭✭
    edited December 30, 2018

"So I did that. However, in doing so, I got to play through like 30 minutes of stuff with characters I had no idea about referencing things that were basically spoilers unbeknownst to me at the time. I also can't guarantee that's what fixed it, because right around the same time I did that, I'd gotten enough central Tyria mastery points to finish the Pact Commander line and begin training something else. I haven't seen the popup since however, despite running around Central Tyria with my Legendary Crafting line ready to be mastered (despite not having points for doing so, which is what caused the popups in the first place.) So perhaps their suggestion fixed it, or perhaps finishing the Pact Commander line fixed it, or perhaps it somehow fixed itself. Or perhaps it'll come back some day and I'll kick a chair through the wall. Who knows. I hope their suggestion, paired with what I did, helps someone out though. Good luck, guys."

I have 4 unused PoF mastery points, didn't buy HoT, and the pop up keep returning every few seconds for me. It doesn't happen for my friend, and he does have HoT. So maybe the person who responded to you (Windfreeze), isn't aware that having PoF Mastery points has little to do with making the pop up stop. Maybe I have to buy HoT and get a mastery point there. It wouldn't shock me that the solution was to throw money at the game and forcing people to buy both expansions. That would explain why they are so reluctant to fix an annoyance that is easily addressed.

• It's almost unbelievable that this bug has still not been fixed. I boosted a character to 80 and I have this pop up once per minute. Why? I tried Windfreeze's suggestion to get a mastery point in PoF, did so, and the pop up is still annoying me out of my mind. This is not a hard problem to fix and it certainly speaks volumes about how much anet values their customers.

• You have to have a non-full experience bar for it to go away - it is telling you that XP that you are earning is going to waste because you are ready to spend the full XP bar you have, but either you don't have the MP necessary or you haven't bothered spending them. Once you have trained all of a region's masteries to max, you won't ever see it again in that region (except in PoF where they are still adding new masteries and/or new tiers in existing masteries).

To be sure, I agree that the pop-up is way far too enthusiastic. It should, in my opinion, appear immediately when you fill the XP bar (obviously), and the first time after each map change that you get any XP, and no more often than that, maybe less. There's a solid case that it should appear approximately at just these conditions:
    * Immediately when you fill the current region's XP bar.
    * The first time after you log in a character that the character earns XP, if the XP is going to waste.

The question that needs more debate is whether it should appear on the first "going-to-waste" XP gain after each map change.

@Biff.5312 said:
    Exercise your whimsy.

• I'm also experiencing this annoyance.

I was a free player this December 2018 and my husband came back to this game to assist me. I quickly got to 80 with just dungeon assistance because I'm used to MMOs. He then bought Path of Fire and I bought both HoT and PoF before finishing my Personal Story. As soon as I unlocked those, this annoyance popped up. Even when I am crafting, gathering, anything that gives exp... even just walking into a new area, I get the pop up that completely blocks my chats. It's massive and difficult to ignore. I looked through the settings before I googled the issue and found this thread.

I kind of regret buying this now haha. Maybe I should have spent more time as a free player instead of investing money in this game just to get annoyed.

• AzureNightmare.3914AzureNightmare.3914 Member
    edited January 18, 2019

I've been playing GW2 since its beta, and I started playing GW1 when i was just 13: 11 years ago. I will always play and support GW2, but this is, quite frankly, unacceptable. The fact customer support is aware of this and that the problem is over a year old and the fact it's still in this game is a serious problem. Do I regret buying the game? No. Am I still happy? Mostly. I like to play games in chronological order though. The fact I have to go to Vandall's Cairn and being Hot, even if only a little bit is unacceptable.

This could be EASILY avoided by simply avoiding the message altogether, or putting in an NPC in Lion's Arch that can help you begin your masteries. I love this game and always will, but seriously- what the hell? It woudl be fine if it was just once every time you logged into a character, a nuisance but alright. I know all the lore and everything- but I can't fathom how annoying it must be to start an Expansion if you haven't completed the base game or seen the recap of Living World Season 1. Its just... not OK. Or why not just send us mail when we reach Level 80? I REALLY wanted to hold off on Heart of Thorns until completing the main campaign (I didn't play this game for a few years), but this got SO obnoxious I just said "screw it" and started HoT earlier. And what about if I level boost a new character to level 80? Am I gonna have to just... sprint to start HoT as quickly as possible from the Norn starting area now? What the hell?

There's no excuse for this they can give. "It annoys us too" is unacceptable. Areanet, I love you guys, but what the hell? Fix this already!

• Inculpatus cedo.9234Inculpatus cedo.9234 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2019

FYI: If you use a L80 Boost, your character will stay in The Silverwastes; thus, no 'sprinting from the Norn (or any other race's) starting map'.

I can only guess that there is, so far, no fix for this issue; at least, not one that doesn't break many other things. It happens, sometimes.

• @Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:
    FYI: If you use a L80 Boost, your character will stay in The Silverwastes; thus, no 'sprinting from the Norn (or any other race's) starting map'.

I can only guess that there is, so far, no fix for this issue; at least, not one that doesn't break many other things. It happens, sometimes.

Well that's a silver lining in any case. Can I just run straight to the HoT prologue to begin the kitten expansion while in the Silverwastes before going back to do the main quest? Because I can tolerate it long enough to do that then.

• Yes, you can. Just start the HoT Story in the Story Journal.

• Remove this hint box or allow us to turn off hints in menu. It is mindbogglingly annoying. It is honestly "quit the game" worthy.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.