Guide: How to Upload & Post your own images on these Forums — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Guide: How to Upload & Post your own images on these Forums

LUST.7241LUST.7241 Member ✭✭✭
edited October 11, 2017 in Players Helping Players

Chances are you will want to post images on these forums. Players typically post images here for several reasons: Show off your awesome customization, show screenshots of a bug, show screenshots of a problem, etc. Your Problem is that you just don't know how...

To start, you want to have an image. That image can either be a .jpg, .png, .bmp, or even .gif (depending on what it is and what it is for). The image is more often than not located somewhere on your computer or some device and you need to make it a bit more public and accessible. The following way will hopefully teach you...

Note: You don't have to use Imgur, but the process would be similar anywhere as long as you can get the URL to the image directly. I just recommend it highly because of how easy it is to use and how trusted it is all over the internet.

Disclaimer: Make sure you follow the forum guidelines for wherever your image is soon to be viewed.

How to Upload & Post your own images on these Forums using Imgur

1. On the Imgur page, find where it says 'New Post' (should be at the top of the page)
  2. You should see this popup: Link
  3. If uploading from your computer or device: Simply click Browse, search for the image on your system, and select it. Alternatively you can enter a URL to the image if it is elsewhere (even other sites).
  4. Imgur will then automagically upload your image and you will then be taken to your uploaded image.
  5. DO NOT click Share to Community when the image gets uploaded, this just shares it within the Imgur community for everyone to see. You want to just share the link to specific places (like here)
  6. Optional: Create an account on Imgur . It is free and allows you easy access to what you uploaded.

Direct link to the image:

1. Right click the image and select 'Copy Image Location'
  2. Markdown - Hover over the image and click the arrow icon at the top right of the image to open up a menu that provides you share links. You want to copy the link that is provided under: Markdown (Reddit)

Using the Direct Link :

1. If you did the step to 'Copy Image Location', simply paste the link (URL) in the thread so people can click on it and see. Or click the little image icon at the top of your post/reply creation and paste the link in there. Looks like this:
  2. Markdown - To link your image within readable text, you format like so (brackets/parenthesis included): ![This describes my Image](URL GOES HERE)
  3. When all that is done, click 'Preview' at the bottom of the text-insertion area and see if your images are shown. If they are, you successfully did it. If they are not, go back and try again or leave a reply and I'll fix the guide if necessary.
  4. Congratulations!

Keep in mind: There are other image uploading sites as well and most have similar ways of uploading images, but this has yet to disappoint me long term. Again, I recommend it highly because of how easy it is to use and how trusted it is all over the internet. Alternatively, if the image is already on the internet, you can just copy the link and do the same steps under Direct Link.

Good luck and make sure you follow the forum guidelines for wherever your image is soon to be viewed.

All my alts are just storage for my Engi.

Comments

• LUST.7241LUST.7241 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 13, 2017

P.S. You can use direct markup embedding - If you did the step to 'Copy Image Location -

No space after first < - < img src="URL GOES HERE" alt="test" />

However this currently seems limited to certain image hosts (like the one Anet uses for their own images)...and currently doesn't have a limit on resolution:

test

• Behellagh.1468Behellagh.1468 Member ✭✭

decker.jpg

Didn't embed the image ... hmmm.

• Cronos.6532Cronos.6532 Member ✭✭✭

@Behellagh.1468 said:
    decker.jpg

Needs to be ArenaNet-hosted.

signature

@Behellagh.1468 said:
    decker.jpg

Currently direct embedding only works with images hosted on Anet. Maybe this will be changed in the future (hopefully).

Good news:

You now can upload images from Tumblr and Imgur, in addition to YouTube and Instagram.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/9428

Images will automagically embed into posts if hosted from Tumblr, Imgur, and media from Youtube and Instagram!

• DebraKadabra.5278DebraKadabra.5278 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 11, 2017

Testing testing..

Hm. Didn't quite work that time.

"For the Panini!" // NA (USA)/Ehmry Bay/[EBAY]
    Main character--Runa Xandrill, Level 80 Female Human Dragonhunter

• so like that?

I'm a punk kid, no reason why
    Nothing finer than the taste of tears running down my face
    Oh cry baby cry, oh cry baby cry oh

edited October 12, 2017

• kitten. I don't seem to be doing something correctly.

edited October 12, 2017

Didn't work.. again.. dangit!!!

• Sorry, this is a me thing, not something wrong with the guide.

• Imgur

Houston, we have liftoff.

• Just a flesh wound.3589Just a flesh wound.3589 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 12, 2017

I could use a little help. Can someone explain why the image below isn’t imbedding? I think I’m using the same format as a successful picture. Edit. Got it to work.

Imgur

https://imgur.com/a/UtemQ

To show the formatting, ![Imgur] then (https://i.imgur.com/a/UtemQ.jpg)

Be careful what you ask for
    ANet might give it to you.

Forum Guides: Images. Text

• Is the picture showing in the post box when you preview it?

edited October 12, 2017

@DebraKadabra.5278 said:
    Is the picture showing in the post box when you preview it?

No.

I got another code and now it’s working. Maybe the old one was old or something. /shrug.

Imgur

• Weird. I had to try a few times myself.

• yeah. Had to try multiple times. Not sure why the second worked but not the first.
    Oh well. As long as it does.

• sorudo.9054sorudo.9054 Member ✭✭✭✭

let's test it out

• crashburntoo.7431crashburntoo.7431 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 12, 2017

It's worth noting that you can add an "m" to the filename (not extension) if you're using an image from Imgur. That decreases the size, since they can be quite huge at times. Only the full-size picture will retain a link back to Imgur.

Example:

vs

Let's be neighbours.

edited October 12, 2017

@crashburntoo.7431 said:
    It's worth noting that you can add an "m" to the filename (not extension) if you're using an image from Imgur. That decreases the size, since they can be quite huge at times. Only the full-size picture will retain a link back to Imgur.

Thank you. Very helpful indeed. They are way too big without the m added.

Imgur

Imgur

• Saraneth.6021Saraneth.6021 Member ✭✭✭

How do I do it when the kitten Direct Link thing doesn't work?

• Dashiva.6149Dashiva.6149 Member ✭✭✭

Don't mind me, just testing.

• I am not sure what I am doing wrong I am posting from imgur https://imgur.com/OyGeR9g but it just links and dosnt put in the picture. Can somone please help me :(

edited November 9, 2017

@xikira.3264 said:
    I am not sure what I am doing wrong I am posting from imgur https://imgur.com/OyGeR9g but it just links and dosnt put in the picture. Can somone please help me :(

If you right click your picture, you can click 'View Image', this puts the direct link in your URL/address bar. Then you can copy the link in the URL/address bar like this: https://i.imgur.com/OyGeR9g.jpg

Alternatively, you can just add a "i." before "imgur.com" so it looks like this: https://i.imgur.com/OyGeR9g.jpg

If you want to embed the image directly into the forums (so you can see it in a post), try this: ![can-leave-this-space-empty](URL GOES HERE "")

Or... click this button when making a post:

• Iris Ng.9845Iris Ng.9845 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 11, 2017

DZJoOEp

drives me nut
    why are no photos shown?

• Iris Ng.9845Iris Ng.9845 Member ✭✭✭

Imgur

second testing. this better works.

• Myrdreth.6829Myrdreth.6829 Member ✭✭✭

Now I know what I always did wrong! When you put the Link into the Image-field in this forum...you need to click ENTER! Argh, I am so stupid xD

• Alek Seven.2374Alek Seven.2374 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2017
  • Testing 10/chars Nw4uMr8.jpg)

edited November 18, 2017

@Alek Seven.2374 said:
    Test/10chars https://imgur.com/a/Hy2jq
    @Alek Seven.2374 said:
    Testing 10/chars Nw4uMr8.jpg)

Here's what is wrong (remove highlighted characters, second line is the final result):

• Alek Seven.2374Alek Seven.2374 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2017

Hope it works Edit : Wooo

• Quarktastic.1027Quarktastic.1027 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 9, 2017

I can embed images, but none of them retain their link back to imgur. I really don't understand what I'm doing wrong.
    Edit: It seems to be working now. Not sure what the issue was.

• Fat Disgrace.4275Fat Disgrace.4275 Member ✭✭✭✭

not working at all.

edited April 9, 2018

@Fat Disgrace.4275 said:
    not working at all.

Can you show what you’re doing?

![](Imgur link) is the format. Example: https://i.imgur.com/uD6XhElm.jpg is a Imgur image link copied from that site.

• @Fat Disgrace.4275 said:
    not working at all.

Can you list the URL that you are trying to use?

"Face the facts. Then act on them. It's ...the only doctrine I have to offer you, & it's harder than you'd think, because I swear humans seem hardwired to do anything but. Face the facts. Don't pray, don't wish, ...FACE THE FACTS. THEN act." — Quellcrist Falconer

• Khisanth.2948Khisanth.2948 Member ✭✭✭✭

If you are trying to embed an image from Imgur make sure you are using the image URL and not the post URL.

For a post with a single image that simply means it needs to have ".jpg" at the end.
    Correct: ![](https://imgur.com/ItCiwoc.jpg)
    Incorrect: ![](https://imgur.com/ItCiwoc)

You can also click "Preview" instead of "Post Comment" to see the results without posting.

• Fat Disgrace.4275Fat Disgrace.4275 Member ✭✭✭✭

yeah, i got it now, thanks

• Is there any tutorial about how to embed images using Tumblr?

I am trying to embed the image from this post: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/gwadngel#

But I don't achieve it. :disappointed:

tumblr_pglmyfbEBa1xjdi3co1_1280.jpg

According to the FAQ, the embed should work with Tumblr, Facebook, Twitter and Imgur.

(The reason of using Tumblr instead of Imgur is not to go against anyone's opinion, but because I tend tu use Tumblr for other fandoms and it would be much more comfortable if I could share my GW2 screenshots there instead to have post them on any other different site).

That would be a forum bug. Could be because they configured the wrong domain for the whitelist or Tumblr changed where their images are being served from since the config was set up.

• Adngel.9786Adngel.9786 Member ✭✭
    edited October 14, 2018

I'm still strugling.

Choovanski shared this horse pic, that was actually from a fallenTumblr's blog:

But if I reupload that image, I find that it doesn't work.
    tumblr_pglt13z4g01xjdi3co1_500.png

But then, I could be relieved that I'm not doing anything wrong here in the forum (paste the image URL in the landscape icon, it works for Imgur and Choovanski's Tumblr's image).

So or the problem is in my Tumblr's blog (I'm researching to see if theres need any configuration or such) or there is a bug here in the forum. Aaargh, this is frustrating. :tired_face:

edited October 14, 2018

@Adngel.9786 said:
    I'm still strugling.

Choovanski shared this horse pic, that was actually from a fallenTumblr's blog:

But if I reupload that image, I find that it doesn't work.
    tumblr_pglt13z4g01xjdi3co1_500.png

But then, I could be relieved that I'm not doing anything wrong here in the forum (paste the image URL in the landscape icon, it works for Imgur and Choovanski's Tumblr's image).

So or the problem is in my Tumblr's blog (I'm researching to see if theres need any configuration or such) or there is a bug here in the forum. Aaargh, this is frustrating. :tired_face:

That actually supports what I wrote above.

The one that works is using the host 78.media.tumblr.com while the one that doesn't work is using 66.media.tumblr.com

Looks like they made it too specific. It should probably be supporting everything from *.media.tumblr.com instead of just a specific number or a specific set of numbers.

Simply changing the 66 in the URL you are trying to use to 78 works as a workaround.

• Yeeah!

I think I tried that before but with so many changings (uploading image, delete image, upload image of another format, etc...) I suposse that I lost the correct result of that test.

But well, it looks like that as you say, changing the 66 for the 78 makes it work:

• Oldgrimm.8521Oldgrimm.8521 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 23, 2018

test image

• Like that :P !! hope u like it !

• blade eyes.2034blade eyes.2034 Member ✭✭
    edited May 29, 2019

Let's test This :)

edited May 29, 2019

:s why is this so hard = . =?

edited May 29, 2019

Finally = . =

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.