Evading while doing damage is a broken mechanic

Hex.8714

I think guild wars 2 is the only game where you can evade while doing damage, its such a stupid mechanic that dosent exist in any other game, its either you are evading/blocking, playing defensively or attacking but not both at the same time. Its why this game has such a low skill cap/floor because you dont have to use your brain, since you can do damage while evading.You dont have to think which ability to use at the right time because in both cases you will get rewarded for your decision, if you re playing revenant and you press sword 3, you get rewarded with an evade+ damage+ a teleport ability. Same with other classes like staff thief / condi thief and mirage that can evade while doing damage and slb with smokescale and other builds with tons of blocks/invuls.

Look at condi thief that can stack 5 condis with a dodge, how does it make sense that the biggest burst of a build is their dodge? It makes totally no sense, the game has been dumbed down to the absolute lowest. It makes me not wanna play anymore because it feels like Im just playing a game designed for 8 year olds that dont have their brain fully devolopped yet, there is 0 strategy at this point, just spam.

Some Invulnerabilities have been nerfed but nothing has been done to evades that also do damage at the same time. This game dosent require any mechanical skill anymore, the difference between a good player and bad player is just rotations, playing meta builds, + duo Qing or not duo Qing is whats gonna decide the outcome of a match , whether you know how to play your class or not is totally irrelevant at this point because of how easy this game has become since launch.

Obviously it is too late now but I still felt the need to say this maybe the devs wil do something about a broken mechanic that dosent exist in any other competitive game. Or they could simply implement a debuff of - 50% power/condi damage while you are under the effects of a defensive skil like invul/block/evade for every class in pvp only. that way people will not be able to faceroll the keyboard and be rewarded for spamming defensive cooldowns while doing damage at the same time.

Having the ability to cast and teleport while evading is surely an issue. However, dealing damage as part of a dodge seems more acceptable. How much damage you deal while dodging should be fairly limited though and not work as your primary source of damage.For instance warrior damage on dodge seems reasonable as it is traited and warrior should be able to be lethal at close range.

Im no fan of mechanics that allows a player to be able to dealdamage while not being vurnable to counterpressure. But there are not that many abilities that allows it. Mirage dodge and thiefs Instant Reflexes passive are the ones that comes to mind.Then there are attacks which have evade frames in them, those atleast locks the player into its animation (except DrD staff3s, id say, unintended behaviour).If attacks with evade frames is your gripe, then why was warrior left out. Gs3, Bulls charge and Reckless Dodger?

A game with competitive pvp should never have defence and attack together in any castable skill, it just dumbs down the strategy. You should either block/evade or attack. Because that's what promote strategic thinking, should i block or attack?Should i evade or attack? Both at the same time is always a stupid idea.This idea of separation of what does what, should be included also on cc and damage, you should either cc or damage not both. This how you incentivate skilled gameplay, by strategic thinking promoted by separation of actions.Unfortunately this is something gw2 cannot afford anymore. Because you would have to completely scrap entire elite specialization and many many skills across all classes. To follow a path like I propose, you should start it by the first steps of the game design.

@"Hex.8714" said:Its why this game has such a low skill cap/floor because you dont have to use your brain, since you can do damage while evading.This is a specific thing in a larger problem: It's not just evade+dmg, all PoF classes are "jack of all trades and master of some", while being very easy to play.

@NecroSummonsMors.7816 said:A game with competitive pvp should never have defence and attack together in any castable skill, it just dumbs down the strategy. You should either block/evade or attack. Because that's what promote strategic thinking, should i block or attack?Should i evade or attack? Both at the same time is always a stupid idea.This idea of separation of what does what, should be included also on cc and damage, you should either cc or damage not both. This how you incentivate skilled gameplay, by strategic thinking promoted by separation of actions.Unfortunately this is something gw2 cannot afford anymore. Because you would have to completely scrap entire elite specialization and many many skills across all classes. To follow a path like I propose, you should start it by the first steps of the game design.

exept evading while dealing damage is VERY good concept if done right, otherwise you have brainless spam that leads to the win of the person that started spaming first.

@Leonidrex.5649 said:

@NecroSummonsMors.7816 said:A game with competitive pvp should never have defence and attack together in any castable skill, it just dumbs down the strategy. You should either block/evade or attack. Because that's what promote strategic thinking, should i block or attack?Should i evade or attack? Both at the same time is always a stupid idea.This idea of separation of what does what, should be included also on cc and damage, you should either cc or damage not both. This how you incentivate skilled gameplay, by strategic thinking promoted by separation of actions.Unfortunately this is something gw2 cannot afford anymore. Because you would have to completely scrap entire elite specialization and many many skills across all classes. To follow a path like I propose, you should start it by the first steps of the game design.

exept evading while dealing damage is VERY good concept if done right, otherwise you have brainless spam that leads to the win of the person that started spaming first.

Then why take the risk? ANet clearly can’t properly design the mechanics so that they aren’t PvP destructive.

By this way of thinking invulnerability at a press of a button shouldn't exist either, or bursting enemies 100-0 while they lay helpless on the ground as I often do after hard cc etc etc. Dps on dodge is fine if dps is exponentially lower than that of a standard skill, but I agree that taking 50% of a players health via a dodge would be broken.list goes on to how many things could or should be fixed or avoided in a pvp mmo game mode is but problem is if u start standardizing classes and skills too much the classes lose their identities and flavor in the name of balance. Ask ESO pvp players how they like skill standardization lol. A perfectly balanced game would have all classes by identical and that would be boring asf. Perfect balance doesn't exist otherwise as different classes with different strengths and weaknesses from each other with different combat playstyles will always lead to imbalances but at least it's fun or can be fun as long as balance is kept from getting to out of line like it is now. Regardless of what burn fall spits out constantly mmo's need classes like thief,mesmer and holo etc to keep it unique and fun, we all played a re skinned version warrior that would be real fun lol. All this game needs is some powercreep shaves, more pvp support and game modes and more adverts and ots population might actually rise instead of decline.

@everyman.4375 said:

@Hex.8714 said:a broken mechanic that dosent exist in any other competitive game.

That's not true tho.

Yea it is. When the game first launched its something I pointed out. It should not exist. The reason being is that there is no counter to evade. Before you or any one starts talking the BS that you have to use timing, I will tell you to stop it and stop it now. The window of vulnerability to hit a thief spamming evade+dmg skills is very tiny. You also have to consider the fact that most GW2 skills themselves have a 0.25 casting time. Then you have to consider latency. So in other words, in order to hit them you have to preemptively cast your skill and add in latency, it makes it nearly impossible to hit them. Its why the only semi counter are wards, but then wards are weak because stability and being able to port right through them.

The solution is and always has been to create un-evadable skills like what already exists for block. But at this point in the game I don't think Anet would ever do something like that.

@saerni.2584 said:Except Lotus dodge isn’t the majority of condi DD damage.

It’s when that is combined with a poison combo field and stacked with swipe and other utilities or traits that the attack adds up to anything significant.

Stuff like this is true and needs to happen more in this game. People keeping asking for nerds cuz stuff like this which is the wrong thing to complain about because stuff like this gets nerfed and the games losses all the synergy and complexities like combo's etc which are what should be needed to achieve high bursts. Instead the games getting dumbed down and the high bursts are coming from easy one press skills causing the game to be a powercrept spam fest. High dps should be achievable in this game but through synergies and combo's of select skills not by just pressing a skill.

@praqtos.9035 said:

@saerni.2584 said:Except Lotus dodge isn’t the majority of condi DD damage.Its the main reason why poison cant be cleansed (4 cover conditions), you must remove 5 condis at once to stop poison damaging you and cut your healing.

Lotus blossoms been in this game since DD was added and there's been zero complaints about it for yrs. With all the high dps bursts floating around by every class the condi dps done by lotus is pitiful and only effective when combining with other skills and traits, as it should be. This forums so predictable and u as a mesmer player must see it to. A few peeps complain about condi thief as soon as poison trait shifts poison from daggers to all weapons and within a few days of a post anyone who dislikes fighting the class starts posting how it's broken like lemmings lol. The class didnt become a fight God with a slight change to a poison trait lmao. Ele is a joke to everyone cuz its weak sauce than gets slight buff now posts are flying around it's a God spec. Mesmer and thief are like the kid nobody wants in this community lol

@Aza.2105 said:

@Hex.8714 said:a broken mechanic that dosent exist in any other competitive game.

That's not true tho.

Yea it is. When the game first launched its something I pointed out. It should not exist. The reason being is that there is no counter to evade. Before you or any one starts talking the BS that you have to use timing, I will tell you to stop it and stop it now. The window of vulnerability to hit a thief spamming evade+dmg skills is very tiny. You also have to consider the fact that most GW2 skills themselves have a 0.25 casting time. Then you have to consider latency. So in other words, in order to hit them you have to preemptively cast your skill and add in latency, it makes it nearly impossible to hit them. Its why the only semi counter are wards, but then wards are weak because stability and being able to port right through them.

The solution is and always has been to create un-evadable skills like what already exists for block. But at this point in the game I don't think Anet would ever do something like that.

Ok so you're saying that there is not a single competitive game where doing damage while being invulnerable/dodging exist ? Because that's what i was talking about.

@everyman.4375 said:

@Aza.2105 said:

That's not true tho.

Ok so you're saying that there is not a single competitive game where doing damage while being invulnerable/dodging exist ? Because that's what i was talking about.

I'm sure you can list games and I will list why its not the same as it is in gw2.

@praqtos.9035 said:

@saerni.2584 said:Except Lotus dodge isn’t the majority of condi DD damage.Its the main reason why poison cant be cleansed (4 cover conditions), you must remove 5 condis at once to stop poison damaging you and cut your healing.

Lotus is Bleed, Torment and Cripple. It can be in a combo field to apply poison. It can also gain poison and weakness through Deadly Arts traits.

I’ve fought this build numerous times and 90% of the time I have no issues surviving the burst even if they land most of it.

If I don’t have cleanse then I die but that’s not really a good balance perspective.

@Aza.2105 said:

@Aza.2105 said:

@"Hex.8714" said:a broken mechanic that dosent exist in any other competitive game.

That's not true tho.

I'm sure you can list games and I will list why its not the same as it is in gw2.

The only game i have knowledge on is LoL and there's a champion with a spell exactly like rev sword 3. There's many more exemples from this game alone and i'm sure you could fine even more exemples from other "competitive" games.

@everyman.4375 said:

@Aza.2105 said:

@Aza.2105 said:

@"Hex.8714" said:a broken mechanic that dosent exist in any other competitive game.

That's not true tho.

The only game i have knowledge on is LoL and there's a champion with a spell exactly like rev sword 3. There's many more exemples from this game alone and i'm sure you could fine even more exemples from other "competitive" games.

Rev sword 3 is fine.

@Aza.2105 said:

@Aza.2105 said:

@Aza.2105 said:

That's not true tho.

Rev sword 3 is fine.

Lol of course it isSomeone likes rev lmao