Thieves Season 18

Xzagr.7956

Just gonna put this out there but is it just me or are thieves unbelievably overpowered atm. the new rework gave them alot of dodge and evades while applying alot of conditions making even the noobist of noobs do well without much skill or effort. a skilled thief is even more dangerous now to the point they can be unstoppable its like season 15 scourge all over again.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a thief main and relative noob (been playing only half a year now), I don't really think so? Rather, whenever I try to take on mobs with him I feel it's one of the weaker classes rather than unstoppable.

My recent switch to Daredevil certainly improved my thief's survivability but that's more due to the fact of an endurance bar and faster recharge that let's me avoid attacks contrary to base thief or deadeye where I never had enough endurance. Haven't tried the daredevil out against other players so I can't comment much on that. But with Deadeye and base thief I'd say it was one of the un-optimal professions you'd find roaming in WvW as if can't handle hard damage that you receive from more seasoned players.

Also, which rework are you talking about?? Almost all of the professions keep getting some bug fixes and skill edits when looking at the game update notes. If you're referring to the massive profession rework update from a few weeks back, if I remember correctly that was on trap mechanics. (If there's a thief player who can provide their experience with survivability that utilizes these reworked skills, then please input. I don't use the traps so I have no say on that.)

@"Xzagr.7956" said:Just gonna put this out there but is it just me or are thieves unbelievably overpowered atm. the new rework gave them alot of dodge and evades while applying alot of conditions making even the noobist of noobs do well without much skill or effort. a skilled thief is even more dangerous now to the point they can be unstoppable its like season 15 scourge all over again.

Nothing gave them "more evades" they just got crazy poison application from deadly arts. Panic strike works to well with sword #2

They got a trait changing poison aplication from daggers only to any weapon. Poison application had a bug in SB poison field was stacking more than it should but this was recently fixed. The poison application from DA does not stack an unusual amount of poison but is the combination of the trait,lotus blossom and I'm guessing thorn runes that make it effective as any synergistic combo of traits and skills should especially if poison field from SB comes into the mix. Synergies and combo's like this should exist and be more abundant as there are far too many I button press skills in this game that on their own are as or more effective than examples such as this. People complaining about effective combo's like this is dumbing down the game and promoting things like one shot one hit skills.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:They got a trait changing poison aplication from daggers only to any weapon. Poison application had a bug in SB poison field was stacking more than it should but this was recently fixed. The poison application from DA does not stack an unusual amount of poison but is the combination of the trait,lotus blossom and I'm guessing thorn runes that make it effective as any synergistic combo of traits and skills should especially if poison field from SB comes into the mix. Synergies and combo's like this should exist and be more abundant as there are far too many I button press skills in this game that on their own are as or more effective than examples such as this. People complaining about effective combo's like this is dumbing down the game and promoting things like one shot one hit skills.

If the thief is not running away, something ain't right.

At least, that's what I imagine they are thinking.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:They got a trait changing poison aplication from daggers only to any weapon. Poison application had a bug in SB poison field was stacking more than it should but this was recently fixed. The poison application from DA does not stack an unusual amount of poison but is the combination of the trait,lotus blossom and I'm guessing thorn runes that make it effective as any synergistic combo of traits and skills should especially if poison field from SB comes into the mix. Synergies and combo's like this should exist and be more abundant as there are far too many I button press skills in this game that on their own are as or more effective than examples such as this. People complaining about effective combo's like this is dumbing down the game and promoting things like one shot one hit skills.

actually this build existing dumb down the game.i literally melt plat holo main in 5 seconds and plat warrior main in 10 seconds by abusing 2 buttons, sword 2 port and dodgespower s/d is twice more difficult to play yet two times less effective

@Crab Fear.1624 said:

If the thief is not running away, something ain't right.

At least, that's what I imagine they are thinking.

Seems that way. As soon as the thief becomes a somewhat competant fighter the complaints pour into the forums. I will admit over the last few yrs reading and taking part in posts regarding thiefs wanting their class to receive changes to make it more viable in 1v1's thief players called that non thief players would respond as such if they received any changes to allow them viability in engagements lolThey were right.

@Lighter.5631 said:

actually this build existing dumb down the game.i literally melt plat holo main in 5 seconds and plat warrior main in 10 seconds by abusing 2 buttons, sword 2 port and dodgespower s/d is twice more difficult to play yet two times less effective

Hyperbole as usual to feed ur agenda. I've used every iteration of poison builds on thief and holo's and warrior not only have more than enough tools to adequately deal with any condi thief they also have skills that on their own with one press will out dps the condi thief not to mention the hard cc both have. Try harder! Killing new, learning holo's means nothing. I refuse to say bad players cuz there's no real such thing as they just need more practice with said class. For the record I mainly use power s/d but have been using DD s/d with DA/trick for a much needed change thank God and I assure u power s/d isnt much harder as its a pretty repetitive rotation and mostly timing and opponent class awareness that makes it effective, I use the same with the condi version but the little extra condi dps makes it a bit better 1v1 which is exactly what thief needed

@Lighter.5631 said:

Yeah, time to buff power sword.

And don't you main holo and guard?

@H a z Z y.1762 said:Just cover their sword 2 return spot and they're screwed. Its a gimmick build. There are much better condi thief builds than the drd one, like the one i play :D

This ^ but learning to fight the thief is harder than just crying builds OP. Due to thief's squishy nature and the barrage of dps nerfs its recieved in the past due to this crap pretty much all of its builds are revolved around gimicks that if taken the time to learn to counter become easy targets and force disengagement by the theif more times than not. Even ur build I bet.

@Crab Fear.1624 said:

i don't main any classes, so i can have actual unbiased opinion unlike you lots.i've been playing poison thieves only lately, and 100-0'ed some top players during prime time

it's awkward when the dude calls me killing bad player, when the ones i kill on poison thieves are the likes of vans, mur and more, who i'll most likely lose against when playing other builds

@crepuscular.9047 said:it's not really thief is the problem, how i see is the mechanic of condi is over OP in PvP now, as soon as you cleanse them another 50 stacks gets smacked right back on your head and kills you in 2 sec

which i think it's not really a good, especially for those new to PvP, they wont learn much from a fight

Please detail the mechanics that allow 50 stacks poison in 2 seconds.

@Lighter.5631 said:

i don't main any classes, so i can have actual unbiased opinion unlike you lots.i've been playing poison thieves only lately, and 100-0'ed some top players during prime time

it's awkward when the dude calls me killing bad player, when the ones i kill on poison thieves are the likes of vans, mur and more, who i'll most likely lose against when playing other builds

So ur 100-0 bursting Van's with condo dps eh? Hmmm

@Lighter.5631 said:

S/d power should have no issues dealing with s/d condition. S/d condition has few cover conditions. The poison relatively easy to cleanse by any build that traits cleanses. In S/d power your port has a cleanse, Thief has a multiple of heals that remove conditions as well such as withdraw and hide in shadows. Thief in s/d also has don't stop and Pain response. Just as a Condition thief can apply conditions via a dodge, the thief can remove conditions via a dodge. This invludes skills like dont stop and escapists fortitude. Neither of these things hard to do and happen just by pressing two buttons.

There a very easy way for most builds to deal with s/d condition and that by taking condition removl. It not difficult.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

So ur 100-0 bursting Van's with condo dps eh? Hmmm

100-0 actually means in 1v1 i have 100% hp and enemy has 0% hp and it is often used as a metaphor of being effortless

They should just take away the immobile off of infiltrators strike.

I feel like that would be the best route to make sure other builds can stay competitive and reduce the cheese on condi s/d.

If it must have a movement inhibitor maybe 1 s chill.

That way you can still dodge, and the poison won't happen from panic strike.

Thieves need a condi option.

@Crab Fear.1624 said:They should just take away the immobile off of infiltrators strike.

I feel like that would be the best route to make sure other builds can stay competitive and reduce the cheese on condi s/d.

I see what ur saying but removing immobilize on s2 would be a huge hit to power s/d which isn't a great 1v1 build to begin with. If something like that were to happen s2 would need something like a daze or stun to compensate giving thief the same s2 effectiveness or close to it without having the synergy immobilize has with PS. I feel like s2 would become a death trap for us squishy thief's as people would just anticipate the s2 port than punish the thief hard.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

@Crab Fear.1624 said:They should just take away the immobile off of infiltrators strike.

I see what ur saying but removing immobilize on s2 would be a huge hit to power s/d which isn't a great 1v1 build to begin with. If something like that were to happen s2 would need something like a daze or stun to compensate giving thief the same s2 effectiveness or close to it without having the synergy immobilize has with PS.

Yeah, something but the immoblize spam cheeze is really too much.

Chill would be a good replacement, like 2 secs of chill since the immobile is 1.5 secs anyways.

There is a good reason to dislike the s/d condi build as it really is a no skill cheezer build.

I would rather them fix sword than kill all other condi options by going after traits.

Body shot is not as bad because you cant port in and out over and over, and the venom has only 2 charges and really long cd, auto proc for panic is already 30 seconds.

@"Crab Fear.1624" said:They should just take away the immobile off of infiltrators strike.

It needs another add. Chill or blind would work but the immobile is important to an s/p power build so as to allow some of that pistol whip to get through. That said I still do not see the need to do anything about the skill as is. I am not convinced it as bad as people say and design decisions based on the types of complaints made on these boards (in particular the 50 stacks poison in 2 seconds stuff) are bad all round.

As to cheese every single profession out there has builds others have deemed cheeze. Again you do not make decisions based on those types of complaints or we end up with no variety at all. Claiming a build cheese is a poor critique. It a catch all term that generally means "Builds I do not like to face".

@Crab Fear.1624 said:

I see what ur saying but removing immobilize on s2 would be a huge hit to power s/d which isn't a great 1v1 build to begin with. If something like that were to happen s2 would need something like a daze or stun to compensate giving thief the same s2 effectiveness or close to it without having the synergy immobilize has with PS.

Yeah, something but the immoblize spam cheeze is really too much.

Chill would be a good replacement, like 2 secs of chill since the immobile is 1.5 secs anyways.

There is a good reason to dislike the s/d condi build as it really is a no skill cheezer build.

I would rather them fix sword than kill all other condi options by going after traits.

Body shot is not as bad because you cant port in and out over and over, and the venom has only 2 charges and really long cd, auto proc for panic is already 30 seconds.

I agree but thief needssomthing to stop a player from being able to insta burst,hard cc etc the thief the instant it ports to the opponent and not sure chill would allow for that otherwise I fear the skill wouldnt justify the risk of being ported right in front of the enemy. At least with a daze or stun u lose it synergy with panic strikes but the opponent has to use boons or clears to engage u which still buys u a half sec after port to attack and evade lol I could be wrong tho, maybe chill would suffice I donno.

@babazhook.6805 said:

@"Crab Fear.1624" said:They should just take away the immobile off of infiltrators strike.

It needs another add. Chill or blind would work but the immobile is important to an s/p power build so as to allow some of that pistol whip to get through. That said I still do not see the need to do anything about the skill as is. I am not convinced it as bad as people say and design decisions based on the types of complaints made on these boards (in particular the 50 stacks poison in 2 seconds stuff) are bad all round.

As to cheese every single profession out there has builds others have deemed cheeze. Again you do not make decisions based on those types of complaints or we end up with no variety at all. Claiming a build cheese is a poor critique. It a catch all term that generally means "Builds I do not like to face".

I agree for most part.If something on s2 had to be changed a blind could prob function similar to immobilize as far as giving thief that quick second for whipage etc.