Resistance and Stability as short Unique Buffs

DonArkanio.6419

Hey there,

I want to write about these boons since I think they could be looked at in order to prevent the situation when there is constant counter to everything.

Stability and Resistance. Stability is a boon that is a direct counter to CC. Resistance is a boon that counters Conditions.Right now, we have a situation when popping stability is either very powerful, to the point when you are unable to stun your opponent, or when the Stability can be simply ignored, since it's just one stack. I believe that it's the problem of having the weird CC / Stunbreak / Stability game. It can be coutnered by boonstrip, corrupt or CC.

Resistance very briefly defends us from condition damage. Not all classes have access to it. But if Resistance is meant to be a short (and I mean very short) defense against condis - why does it have to have a counter?

I think that these boons should be remade into unique buffs. There are either situations in which you can get 10 stacks of Stability for 10 seconds and noone can do a thing against you. Or the Stability is just straight ignored because it's meaningless in small amounts (not always). It would allow these buffs to function as a short counter to the excessive CC or Condi builds. In GW2 we have a lot easier access to Stability than to Resistance, and that's due to powercreep. There are skills like Blinding Powder where Stability was added just because of other skills having too much CC.Would it be OP? I don't think so. The access to Stability overall is indeed high, but making it shorter could result in much more reliable usage. Same with Resistance. It opens a window of oppotyunity to attack the opponent without completely removing it's damage. Why? Because you don't remove the Conditions.The way I see it

Unique Stability and Resistance Pros:

• More reliable for user
  • Clear visual tell for everyone else
  • Short duration, non strippable, non corruptable
  • Less stacking for excessive use (some may consider a con)

Conditions deal damage over-time. Resistance doesn't remove the Condis completely, it only holds them for 2-3 seconds until Condis start hitting again.

Condition is a damage type which is utilized by many classes. Once Resistance goes off, the damage continues.

CC is a Control Effect which is a setup for damage or interrupting important mechanics. You use CC mostly to 1. setup a burst combo, 2. interrupt. Stability being unique means making you a lot stronger as long as you have access to , but also lets your opponents to wait for the CCs if they notice the skill. They jus can't get through it. Mostly just like they do now.

Allow buffs to be a clear window of opportunity for everyone to attack / prepare.

Why would it be fair? Because these are the counters to one of the most excessive mechanics. We don't need counter to counter.

*Fixed names

blinding powder not blinding shadow, and the stability is 1 sec long and was added at the same time this skill got nerfed to have a cast time. The stability is there to cover said cast time, because it would be supremely stupid for a player to use a stun break only to have it interrupted by a follow up cc, stun breaks are suppose to counter hard cc not be countered by them.This is not unique to this skill and all stun breaks across all classes that have an animation have 1sec of stability.

The reason you have issue with stability is not due to the boon itself but because of the spamy nature of the game. This was a non issue before elite specs were introduced back when you actually had to consider when to use cooldowns and not just facerole your keyboard from left to right.

Gotta be honest; this suggestion and others like it always just read 'delete necromancers'

Yes necromancers corrupt your boons, don't pop your healing signet when you can't dodge out of corrupt boon.

If you want effects that deal with conditions and stuns and can't be countered, use stunbreaks and condi clears

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:if they can't be stacked in duration and aren't affected by concentration then maybe. would require a lot of skills to be redone, hopefully with both of these boons not restricted to their 2 respective classes. don't agree with that design decision, but neither should every class have ample access to them.

As a unique buffs these would work like Superspeed. Non-extendable.

@Sarrs.4831 said:Gotta be honest; this suggestion and others like it always just read 'delete necromancers'

Yes necromancers corrupt your boons, don't pop your healing signet when you can't dodge out of corrupt boon.

If you want effects that deal with conditions and stuns and can't be countered, use stunbreaks and condi clears

Actually completely opposite. Look - Condi clears delete condis, Resistance just holds them back so they can start dealing damage back again once Resistance ends. The thing is, to allow Resistance to be a short counter to condition that isn't further countered by more condis.

My problem is that Resistance was designed to hold back Condis, while Condi builds are able to strip Resistance - I hope you know what i'm getting at.

@"foste.3098" said:blinding powder not blinding shadow, and the stability is 1 sec long and was added at the same time this skill got nerfed to have a cast time. The stability is there to cover said cast time, because it would be supremely stupid for a player to use a stun break only to have it interrupted by a follow up cc, stun breaks are suppose to counter hard cc not be countered by them.This is not unique to this skill and all stun breaks across all classes that have an animation have 1sec of stability.

The reason you have issue with stability is not due to the boon itself but because of the spamy nature of the game. This was a non issue before elite specs were introduced back when you actually had to consider when to use cooldowns and not just facerole your keyboard from left to right.

That is actually the exact reason. But I am trying to find a solution that could potentially limit that spammy nature. Just as you said, these things were as present before E-Specs which brought a massive faceroll mechanic to the game.

I really hate the fact that in order for some abilities to work, we have to have cover boons. Cover boons for utilities, in order for them to work. Now look, what about where's the stability on Revenant's Pain Absorption or RotG? These are actually pretty important. We have Warrior's Stomp that also has a cover Stability - it didn't use to have it. Isn't it weird that Warrior needs a Stability on the skill that's already an AoE CC? That's just wrong imo.

Anyway, do think that Stability and / or Resistane functioning as unique buffs could actually solve or lessen the problem? What's your take on this?

@DonArkanio.6419 said:Actually completely opposite. Look - Condi clears delete condis, Resistance just holds them back so they can start dealing damage back again once Resistance ends. The thing is, to allow Resistance to be a short counter to condition that isn't further countered by more condis.

It's not countered by 'more condis' it's countered by boonstrip. This is a distinction that really needs to be made. There's a strong correlation between successful condi builds and boonstrip.

My problem is that Resistance was designed to hold back Condis, while Condi builds are able to strip Resistance - I hope you know what i'm getting at.

Honestly what I'm getting at is that the classes which you lose to are the ones which can strip your Resistance and because it's the only tool you have to beat them, you want Resistance to be buffed. The only condi builds that you even think about are the ones which are able to strip your Resistance, which tells me that the only condition builds which work are the ones which can strip Resistance, which tells me that Resistance access needs to be reduced, not for the boon to be made inalienable.

@Sarrs.4831 said:

@DonArkanio.6419 said:Actually completely opposite. Look - Condi clears delete condis, Resistance just holds them back so they can start dealing damage back again once Resistance ends. The thing is, to allow Resistance to be a
short
counter to condition that isn't further countered by more condis.

It's not countered by 'more condis' it's countered by boonstrip. This is a distinction that really needs to be made. There's a strong correlation between successful condi builds and boonstrip.

Honestly what I'm getting at is that the classes which
you lose to
are the ones which can strip your Resistance and because it's the only tool you have to beat them, you want Resistance to be buffed. The only condi builds that you even think about are the ones which are able to strip your Resistance, which tells me that the only condition builds which work are the ones which can strip Resistance, which tells me that Resistance access needs to be reduced, not for the boon to be made inalienable.

But I just told you that Resistance is a better way of dealing with condis since it doesn't remove them completely = damage continues after a brief window of time. What do you think about this?

Yeah, because I don't think it's good to have a counter to a mechanjc that is already a counter in itself.Condi builds that don't use Boonstrip wouldn't be as excessive but only for a short duration. Resistance is clearly designed to be a tool against Condi builds and it's still the Condi builds that can get through it. That is my problem.

Counter to counter.

@DonArkanio.6419 said:

@DonArkanio.6419 said:Actually completely opposite. Look - Condi clears delete condis, Resistance just holds them back so they can start dealing damage back again once Resistance ends. The thing is, to allow Resistance to be a
short

you lose to
are the ones which can strip your Resistance and because it's the only tool you have to beat them, you want Resistance to be buffed. The only condi builds that you even think about are the ones which are able to strip your Resistance, which tells me that the only condition builds which work are the ones which can strip Resistance, which tells me that Resistance access needs to be reduced, not for the boon to be made inalienable.

But I just told you that Resistance is a better way of dealing with condis since it doesn't remove them completely = damage continues after a brief window of time. What do you think about this?

Yeah, because I don't think it's good to have a counter to a mechanjc that is already a counter in itself.Condi builds that don't use Boonstrip wouldn't be as excessive but only for a short duration. Resistance is clearly designed to be a tool against Condi builds and it's still the Condi builds that can get through it. That is my problem.

Counter to counter.

short

you lose to

Counter to counter.

counter doesnt have to be GG you can do nothing, play warrior and use 7s resistance ability. thats preety rought on condi builds. if you use res and cant protect it thats on you, nobody vomits boon steal ( exept scourge ) if you fail to mitigate condi, get resistance and then fail to mitigate boon removal, then maybe just maybe you should be punished for it ?

@DonArkanio.6419 said:Anyway, do think that Stability and / or Resistane functioning as unique buffs could actually solve or lessen the problem? What's your take on this?

The way to solve these problems would require a game wide change of adjusting the cooldowns and duration/damage of nearly every skill there is. Make skills higher impact and not as spamable, stability and resistance included.Boonspam in general is a problem across most classes at the moment, with some being able to maintain a nearly permanent uptime of powerful defensive boons.

Making 2 new effects that turn off 2 facets of combat and cannot be interacted with by your opponent would be a foolish solution both balance and gameplay vise.

@Leonidrex.5649 said:

short

you lose to

Counter to counter.

short

you lose to

Counter to counter.

counter doesnt have to be GG you can do nothing, play warrior and use 7s resistance ability. thats preety rought on condi builds. if you use res and cant protect it thats on you, nobody vomits boon steal ( exept scourge ) if you fail to mitigate condi, get resistance and then fail to mitigate boon removal, then maybe just maybe you should be punished for it ?

But there wouldn't be a 7s Resistance situation once its Unique.

@foste.3098 said:

@DonArkanio.6419 said:Anyway, do think that Stability and / or Resistane functioning as unique buffs could actually solve or lessen the problem? What's your take on this?

The way to solve these problems would require a game wide change of adjusting the cooldowns and duration/damage of nearly every skill there is. Make skills higher impact and not as spamable, stability and resistance included.Boonspam in general is a problem across most classes at the moment, with some being able to maintain a nearly permanent uptime of powerful defensive boons.

Making 2 new effects that turn off 2 facets of combat and cannot be interacted with by your opponent would be a foolish solution both balance and gameplay vise.

Fair point. But I don't think that everything has to be interactable.Let's say we have Guardian's Renewed Focus that makes iit completely invulnarable. There is no counterplay to that except that it prevents capping. Outside of Conquest it's a pure Invulnerability that doesn't really have a counter. I know this is an extreme. But for me, it's not like counter has to have a counter. Especially if one of them is very short.

The Stability as a unique buff could automatically limit the access to that specific boon and decrease the boon spam. I mean, if this can reduce the boon spam, why not?

@DonArkanio.6419 said:

short

you lose to

Counter to counter.

short

you lose to

Counter to counter.

But there wouldn't be a 7s Resistance situation once it's unique. I'm talking 3 seconds long. And Resistance is a much healthier way of dealing with excessive condi mechanic in-game.I'll give you an example.
  • Condi builds are spammy
  • Other classes need more Condi-cleanse
  • Condi builds are weakened due to huge access to Condi-cleanse
  • Condi build become more spammy in order to
    be able to deal damage

And the scenario with Resistance.

• Condi builds are spammy
  • Classes have access to short, reliable Resistance that holds back condis
  • Condis start dealing damage again
  • No need to make Condi builds more spammy
  • Resistance is a reliable buff that doesn't completely remove the condition-damage mechanic.

This way, we could even limit the amount of condi-cleanse per class, because Resistance is a much more trusty mechanic that doesn't destroy Condi entirely.

As a unique buff, it could not** be extended to last god know how much.

Condis are problem, because you're literally defendless against condi player if you don't have a special build. Condi cleanse skills are not enough. Sure — you can block and evade attacks, but if you get hit, you just melt slowly. Resistance should be more common, condi cleanse skills could give 1s resistance per every condi (with a threshold of course, it would be too OP if you could get 10s resistance).

@Antycypator.9874 said:Condis are problem, because you're literally defendless against condi player if you don't have a special build. Condi cleanse skills are not enough. Sure — you can block and evade attacks, but if you get hit, you just melt slowly. Resistance should be more common, condi cleanse skills could give 1s resistance per every condi (with a threshold of course, it would be too OP if you could get 10s resistance).

And that's why I want Resistance as a unique buff. This way, it's able to reliably hold back any condition damage without completely removing condis.

And because we have millions of condis, there have to be millions of cleanses and vice-versa.

Unique Resistance, imo, is a perfect way of dealing with condis. I'd go even further as to limit the access of condi-cleanse in order to increase the amount of Resistance in game.

@DonArkanio.6419 said:

@Antycypator.9874 said:Condis are problem, because you're literally defendless against condi player if you don't have a special build. Condi cleanse skills are not enough. Sure — you can block and evade attacks, but if you get hit, you just melt slowly. Resistance should be more common, condi cleanse skills could give 1s resistance per every condi (with a threshold of course, it would be too OP if you could get 10s resistance).

And that's why I want Resistance as a unique buff. This way, it's able to reliably hold back any condition damage
without completely removing condis

And because we have millions of condis, there have to be millions of cleanses and vice-versa.

Unique Resistance, imo, is a perfect way of dealing with condis. I'd go even further as to limit the access of condi-cleanse in order to increase the amount of Resistance in game.

Or we can make resistance working like protection - decrease incoming damage from conditions instead of nullify all efects.

@Antycypator.9874 said:

And that's why I want Resistance as a unique buff. This way, it's able to reliably hold back any condition damage
without completely removing condis

Or we can make resistance working like protection - decrease incoming damage from conditions instead of nullify all efects.

Could work. But Conditions deal damage over-time and it would require Resistance to be very long. But I get your point and it could work actually.

what are you smoking my dude? there are ways to beat condi, you dont even have to hard spec for it. just take 1 condi clear skill, warrior has 7s ressitance mesmer has mantra, firebrand is compleatly immune to condi, thief removes with every dodge and so on. If anything we should have more counters to power damage. you can evade dodge all you want but if you get hit boom 10k hp is gone, its the condi that can get cleansed/resisted or invulnerabled.

If anything resist should be made that it makes you immune to condi applies to you now, instead of the ones that are already applies. its a stupid tactic of Oh i got hit, guess i cleans, oh i got hit now i have resistance, oh i got hit hehe cleanse again. and 30secound goes on and enemies still keep facetanking.

Hell no.Resistance is a completely absurd ability that should never have been added to the game. Completely negating a damage type for duration is incredibly powerful. Firebrand is already the only good way to apply it in PVP and it pulses, making the unique bonus restriction not relevant.

Stab used to be protection against all CCs for its duration. That was before boon duration and was changed to make the game more interactive. With the way damage has skyrocketed and how easy it is to down someone in <1s, you NEED stab to survive. Its not an option to have it go down. Most good classes in pvp have access to pulsing or low cd stab, making this change irrelevant. The ones that don't have access to multiple stun breaks, invuln windows, and evades, also making this change irrelevant. What class do you actually think this effects? Just support firebrand's Stand Your Ground?

@Leonidrex.5649 said:

what are you smoking my dude? there are ways to beat condi, you dont even have to hard spec for it. just take 1 condi clear skill, warrior has 7s ressitance mesmer has mantra, firebrand is compleatly immune to condi, thief removes with every dodge and so on. If anything we should have more counters to power damage. you can evade dodge all you want but if you get hit boom 10k hp is gone, its the condi that can get cleansed/resisted or invulnerabled.

If anything resist should be made that it makes you immune to condi applies to you now, instead of the ones that are already applies. its a stupid tactic of Oh i got hit, guess i cleans, oh i got hit now i have resistance, oh i got hit hehe cleanse again. and 30secound goes on and enemies still keep facetanking.

That's the exact reason I am suggesting this change.

Making Resistance a primary way of dealing with Condis damage allows to reduce the amount of skills that cleanse condis.

This way, Condi builds don't have to be as spammable as they are because Resistance could just stop them for a moment, then the damage continues. I think this is a far better option than currently having millions od cleanses.

And why Resistance? Condis are aslo Chill, Cripple, etc. And it's just senseless that Condi builds have to be spammy on order to perform well against spammy Condi cleanse... And vice-versa.

I believe this is a solution to the need for excessive applicance and cleansing od condis.

@DonArkanio.6419 said:But I just told you that Resistance is a better way of dealing with condis since it doesn't remove them completely = damage continues after a brief window of time. What do you think about this?

Well that would make it a worse way to deal with conditions, not better than condi-cleansing.Condi-cleansing is a better solution for conditions anyway. It can't be flipped and it doesn't care about the durations of the effects.

Counter to counter.

This seems very reductive.Should you not be able to interrupt Consume Conditions, either?

@Sarrs.4831 said:

@DonArkanio.6419 said:But I just told you that Resistance is a better way of dealing with condis since it doesn't remove them completely = damage continues after a brief window of time. What do you think about this?

Well that would make it a
worse
way to deal with conditions, not better than condi-cleansing.Condi-cleansing
is
a better solution for conditions anyway. It can't be flipped and it doesn't care about the durations of the effects.

Counter to counter.

This seems very reductive.Should you not be able to interrupt Consume Conditions, either?

In a Consume Conditions scenario, conditions are a resource.

But I just told you that Resistance would function as a unique buff. Take Superspeed for example.

Unique buffs are non-extendable and non-removable.

Resistance allows Conditions to work, but also lets the user to have a window of action. Then condis come back. This way, there is lesser need for condi-spam and cleanse-spam.

@Sarrs.4831 said:

@DonArkanio.6419 said:In a Consume Conditions scenario, conditions are a resource.

Well we may as well say that other boons are a resource that make your Resistance work.Come on dude don't be silly.

While I am not. You are ignoring all od my other points, why?

You don't get aby further benefits from resisting Conditions.