Celestial necro - staff?

LaFurion.3167

Hi all currently I'm running a full celestial scourge in wvw using axe torch and scepter dagger. This build is on meta battle. It's quite fun.

However I find that axe torch is very solid for life force generation with axe 2 and torch 4. The knockdown on torch 5 is nice too.

Scepter dagger to me feels less effective. I know that devouring darkness is super good, but it seems scepter 2 and dagger 4/5 have become fairly useless with all the power creep. The abilities just dont seem strong. 3 bleeding and weakness or slow or whatever.... whoopdie do, my f1 and f2-5 combos applies just about every condition in the game instantly XD. I also dont like not getting life force from any of the abilities

So my question is is staff a good swap for the scepter dagger set? I rarely find that the auto attack from scepter being effective. Maybe in the old days where condi bomb didnt mean 25 stack of multiple conditions, but a well timed pull crowbar on engi for 6 confusion followed by swapping to pistol 2 and 4...

What are the pros and cons? Is devouring darkness too strong to give up? Sometimes in scepter dagger set I find myself wishing for a bit of ranged... if only staff was... good. It also seems clunky and weirdly designed in its role.

@Kwitzak.6529 said:I am scourge too and love running around with my staff.. I just wish that the staff would have some kind of torment or fire damage when you spec scourge.. Maybe staff 5 could change power to torment and fire damage as we already have fear on scourge power 4..

Technically you can by traiting Terrifying Descent and Demonic Lore.

Staff with unblockable marks is how you actually hurt enemies in wvw.

I would also argue in a zerg you want focus or maybe warhorn over torch. Stripping 3 boons and nuking a single target with focus 5 is actually really powerful, especially if you can identify the pin. Some people don't like pin sniping, so I'll leave that to you to decide how you want to play.

This is what I run, there are tweaks that can be made based on group comp/preference:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PSwAYd3lNw2YIsHmJOKXqvSA-zRZYVhnNiB3oAOl2EC1JB6TEEzCQDDA-e