How do you all feel about Strike Missions? - Page 3 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

How do you all feel about Strike Missions?

13

Comments

  • Vinceman.4572Vinceman.4572 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Fueki.4753 said:

    @Vinceman.4572 said:
    They'll never ever touch this ever again. It's the same with dungeons.

    Remember, Zhaitan originally was the endboss of the Arah Dungeon Story mode.
    That was before Arah lost it's story mode and it became a long story mission.

    It still is the Arah dungeon story mode except that you cannot choose to play it again. They changed the gate and tweaked the mouth of Zhaitan and lowered the overall difficulty to make it on par with personal story difficulty. If there were other minor changes I forgot they are not worth to mention. So in the end they changed some variables and locked the instance to story only.
    If I'm not mistaken this change was made in 2015 according to the reddit posts that are from that time.
    You can now start to explain me when did they overhauled models, recycled them or changed dungeons drastically AFTER that date. I take the answer beforehand: They didn't. They have never!
    The only statements we got about dungeons were:
    1. We'll fix things in dungeons if newer stuff will interfere with them and lead to gamebreaking bugs.
    2. One of the later comments: It takes so much time to fix pathing/other stuff in dungeons we rather develop new content because overall we are way faster with that strategy.
    3. Fractals are our idea of actual dungeons (at the moment --> nothing has changed here so far)

    You and BlakThornArrow cannot be serious about your thoughts that such a Zhaitan fight will ever come. Maybe it's your wish or dream which I can respect but if you face the reality you know very well that they won't do that.

    R.I.P. Build Templates, 15.10.2019

  • As a guild leader for a guild that is doing Raid Training runs on almost every single day, I am looking forward to these as a lot of people are intimidated by the current raids after seeing a guide that explains everything.

    I think it is a great addition to the game to help out those players into raiding scene. I think for most of our "raid students" would still not be participating in raids any time soon if it wasn't for our team that tells them it's ok to join us and it's not going to be easy, but we can do it.

    I am really looking forward for this and hoping for the best hat this is actually going to be a good thing.

    p.s. I think the only reasons we need "easier" approach for raids is that other content in the game does not provide as many mechanics or hard encounters yet and most raiding groups are either looking for ridiculous amounts of LI/KP to join them, or just straight up SELLING raid clears with like 100+ mystic coin?!

  • Strike missions should finally provide some middle ground in the transition from a player not having done any raids at all, or only doing sparse training, to doing meta runs and so on. This gap is immense and currently can only be filled by statics. Most raiding guilds quickly grow into tight knit statics too and there is usually not enough consistent population to keep creating more statics so that intermediate players who can't high level pug can also get some kills.

    All in all I think consistency is the key word here and it's what Anet has so far failed to implement. Fractals have consistent daily runs you can always join even if you're out of a static and/or guild and the same is true for the rest of the game. Raids on the other hand enforce a regularity of social behavior that, while there is nothing wrong with it, is a complete disparity from any other mode in the game (perhaps only WvW gets close to it but still not quite). In other words, people who want to play GW2 like the game itself taught them do are out of raids if they won't take a 180 and join a static. And the importance of consistency in this is that the veterans will keep saying "well yeah you can make your own group or join a training guild" whereas this is far from being as consistent as it is to simply hook yourself into T4 LFG when you just want your daily fractals (and with fractals you are also completely in-game, no looking up guilds on discord and/or forums and whatnot).

  • LadyKitty.6120LadyKitty.6120 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 17, 2019

    After quickly testing soloing the strike mission, it pretty much requires moving a tiny bit every 10 seconds and you don't even need to jump over shockwaves if you have a healer or if your build heals itself (like thief's IP). And the dps requirement for this dps golem is meager 11k squad dps which is less than auto-attack from 3 players. Feels like a bigger and more visual champion hero point with slightly more hp and less danger than a normal HoT/PoF mob.

    It's Kitty. The young lady who streams and records videos playing various (non-)metabuilds. Raid/fractal videos at youtube.com/LadyKitty, Kittymarks test results at youtube.com/Kittymarks and tinyurl.com/Kittymarks and streams at twitch.tv/ladykittygw2 .

  • Nephalem.8921Nephalem.8921 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 17, 2019

    @LadyKitty.6120 said:
    dps requirement for this dps golem is meager 11k squad dps

    For real? Most professions have around 16k solo dps with only self boons. This is ridiculous.

  • Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 17, 2019

    @Nephalem.8921 said:

    @LadyKitty.6120 said:
    dps requirement for this dps golem is meager 11k squad dps

    For real? Most professions have around 16k solo dps with only self boons. This is ridiculous.

    Think of it like Frosty from Wintersday. But without the mechanics. And the difficulty (or any sense of it). I could have 1-1-1-1 with the rest of my squad and still have got all achievements. I only used my other skills to vary it up...

    This is coming from me - a player who at best is t1/t2 skilled in fractals and who mains a mace and shield pvt warrior. That should tell you how these compare to raids

    What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

  • sokeenoppa.5384sokeenoppa.5384 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Alright that was... Stupid 😅 every dungeon boss in this game has more mechanics and is more dangerous than this one. Sadly dungeon bosses die in few seconds. Anyways the fight felt like openworld bounty without any1 going downstate.

    I'll have two number 9s, a number 9 large, a number 6 with extra dip, a number 7, two number 45s, one with cheese, and a large soda.

  • Vinceman.4572Vinceman.4572 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Strike missions didn't fail my expectations. Not in thousand years they will serve as an entry point or stepping stone for raids. Fractals serve better for this purpose. The mini games on the new map are kinda ok'ish (for the first 3-5 times I guess) but overall: Nope! And I'm very thankful for those "slay 100 of those", "destroy 100 of those" etc. GW2 didn't want to be a grindy MMO but it seems that changed drastically. The long-term achievements in core Tyria with 1000 minions slain are ok but now we are getting such things every map it seems. Shame, shame, shame...

    R.I.P. Build Templates, 15.10.2019

  • Hopefully , the current mission was just a 'sample' strike mission to show us how it will work and ANET also testing for bugs etc
    As some are saying it is on par or even easier than T1 fractals.
    The difficulty for these missions should be near T3~T4 if it truly means to be the stepping stone to raids

  • Knighthonor.4061Knighthonor.4061 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Was fun for what it is. Causal 10 man dungeons can work and this proves it.

  • Blaeys.3102Blaeys.3102 Member ✭✭✭

    They can do better than this. Hopefully this was just a test.

    The Wintersday instance is the standard they should be shooting for. This fight was just boring with no discernible mechanics whatsoever.

    They can do better than this.

  • Tyson.5160Tyson.5160 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Blaeys.3102 said:
    They can do better than this. Hopefully this was just a test.

    The Wintersday instance is the standard they should be shooting for. This fight was just boring with no discernible mechanics whatsoever.

    They can do better than this.

    I’m just wondering if this was done on purpose, they explained that the boss will upgrade through the episode, with new attacks. Maybe this is the easy version and it will slowly scale up in difficulty?

  • Cyninja.2954Cyninja.2954 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 18, 2019

    Was soloed already. Total dps required is 16k to not hit enrage timer.

    We will have to wait and see how this works out. The difficulty is below what I expected. How and if this works will be decided how valueable the rewards are and if it's worth farming. How many players decide to continue playing this content repeatedly (even after weeks, months, maybe years).

    It does provide something I was thinking about and which I had mentioned: repeatable easy group content to farm with friends while chatting. The difficulty is unsuitable to train players for raid performance but might be enough to encourage players to try group content.

  • Imperadordf.2687Imperadordf.2687 Member ✭✭✭✭

    inb4 20 seconds speedrun

  • Sykper.6583Sykper.6583 Member ✭✭✭

    My understanding is that it eventually gets 'upgraded' after more content drops.
    It definitely doesn't leave a good first impression to have a flashy DPS golem without much threat. I suppose I could see them with the 'bonus chests' having groups form just to train...basics you learned during leveling lol.

  • Asum.4960Asum.4960 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 18, 2019

    So it's solo content, except even then it's still boring with the only "challenge" being having to hit the DPS check solo while fighting not to fall asleep.
    For 10 man, idk how <2k personal DPS is going to prepare anyone for raiding, and I'm not sure why Anet is so desperately afraid to challenge the "average" player in any way, as that is precisely why this massive skill gap between players exists in the first place.

    For groups somehow struggling, just take 3-10 Thieves, pick up the Trait Invigorating Precision (GM, meaning Grand Master as in last in the line, in Critical Strikes), hit 1 (set up as auto attack by default, meaning it repeats attacking on it's own without further player input) and go make a coffee (optional, you can go do anything really). When you come back the Strike will be beaten, congratulations, you did it!

    R.I.P. Build Templates, 15.10.2019

  • sokeenoppa.5384sokeenoppa.5384 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Asum.4960 said:
    So it's solo content, except even then it's still boring with the only "challenge" being having to hit the DPS check solo while fighting not to fall asleep.
    For 10 man, idk how <2k personal DPS is going to prepare anyone for raiding, and I'm not sure why Anet is so desperately afraid to challenge the "average" player in any way, as that is precisely why this massive skill gap between players exists in the first place.

    For groups somehow struggling, just take 3-10 Thieves, pick up the Trait Invigorating Precision (GM, meaning Grand Master as in last in the line, in Critical Strikes), hit 1 (set up as auto attack by default, meaning it repeats attacking on it's own without further player input) and go make a coffee. When you come back the Strike will be beaten, congratulations!

    This was more like a tutorial for instanced content where players should learn stuff like /GG(well teleport in this one), stacking, reading chat etc. For many players this might have been their first time when they Even join in 10 men squad. Perhaps next strike mission shows some more basic mechanics like CC etc and maybe later there will be actual mechanics in future strike missions.

    I'll have two number 9s, a number 9 large, a number 6 with extra dip, a number 7, two number 45s, one with cheese, and a large soda.

  • Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭

    For those soloing it, isn’t it scaled? It says 5-10 so does it scale to a 5 man version?

    What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

  • Asum.4960Asum.4960 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 18, 2019

    @sokeenoppa.5384 said:

    @Asum.4960 said:
    So it's solo content, except even then it's still boring with the only "challenge" being having to hit the DPS check solo while fighting not to fall asleep.
    For 10 man, idk how <2k personal DPS is going to prepare anyone for raiding, and I'm not sure why Anet is so desperately afraid to challenge the "average" player in any way, as that is precisely why this massive skill gap between players exists in the first place.

    For groups somehow struggling, just take 3-10 Thieves, pick up the Trait Invigorating Precision (GM, meaning Grand Master as in last in the line, in Critical Strikes), hit 1 (set up as auto attack by default, meaning it repeats attacking on it's own without further player input) and go make a coffee. When you come back the Strike will be beaten, congratulations!

    This was more like a tutorial for instanced content where players should learn stuff like /GG(well teleport in this one), stacking, reading chat etc. For many players this might have been their first time when they Even join in 10 men squad. Perhaps next strike mission shows some more basic mechanics like CC etc and maybe later there will be actual mechanics in future strike missions.

    And while i can appreciate that, the ramp is so low that instead of taking 3 stair steps into Raids directly, you will need to walk for, depending on the release schedule of these things, 2-10 years at a not even noticeable incline to get to the same point.

    And with all respect, do we really need tutorial instances for typing /gg, joining a Squad and reading chat?
    If this unlocked in the personal story at level 30, alright. But this is max level content 2 expansions deep, accessed in a level 80 LW map. I just feel like the bar is a little low for where it's placed in the game.

    Anet needs to stop patronizing it's players and instead challenge them a little with some bare minimum gameplay. More than being able to set a few characters to Autoattack and going afk.

    R.I.P. Build Templates, 15.10.2019

  • sokeenoppa.5384sokeenoppa.5384 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Asum.4960 said:

    @sokeenoppa.5384 said:

    @Asum.4960 said:
    So it's solo content, except even then it's still boring with the only "challenge" being having to hit the DPS check solo while fighting not to fall asleep.
    For 10 man, idk how <2k personal DPS is going to prepare anyone for raiding, and I'm not sure why Anet is so desperately afraid to challenge the "average" player in any way, as that is precisely why this massive skill gap between players exists in the first place.

    For groups somehow struggling, just take 3-10 Thieves, pick up the Trait Invigorating Precision (GM, meaning Grand Master as in last in the line, in Critical Strikes), hit 1 (set up as auto attack by default, meaning it repeats attacking on it's own without further player input) and go make a coffee. When you come back the Strike will be beaten, congratulations!

    This was more like a tutorial for instanced content where players should learn stuff like /GG(well teleport in this one), stacking, reading chat etc. For many players this might have been their first time when they Even join in 10 men squad. Perhaps next strike mission shows some more basic mechanics like CC etc and maybe later there will be actual mechanics in future strike missions.

    And while i can appreciate that, the ramp is so low that instead of taking 3 stair steps into Raids directly, you will need to walk for, depending on the release schedule of these things, 2-10 years at a not even noticeable incline to get to the same point.

    And with all respect, do we really need tutorial instances for typing /gg, joining a Squad and reading chat?
    If this unlocked in the personal story at level 30, alright. But this is max level content 2 expansions deep, accessed in a level 80 LW map. I just feel like the bar is a little low for where it's placed in the game.

    We do need tutorial for those😂 i already learned it today while doing strike missions. But yeah next strike mission should Be already a bit harder imo.

    I'll have two number 9s, a number 9 large, a number 6 with extra dip, a number 7, two number 45s, one with cheese, and a large soda.

  • Asum.4960Asum.4960 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 18, 2019

    @sokeenoppa.5384 said:

    @Asum.4960 said:

    @sokeenoppa.5384 said:

    @Asum.4960 said:
    So it's solo content, except even then it's still boring with the only "challenge" being having to hit the DPS check solo while fighting not to fall asleep.
    For 10 man, idk how <2k personal DPS is going to prepare anyone for raiding, and I'm not sure why Anet is so desperately afraid to challenge the "average" player in any way, as that is precisely why this massive skill gap between players exists in the first place.

    For groups somehow struggling, just take 3-10 Thieves, pick up the Trait Invigorating Precision (GM, meaning Grand Master as in last in the line, in Critical Strikes), hit 1 (set up as auto attack by default, meaning it repeats attacking on it's own without further player input) and go make a coffee. When you come back the Strike will be beaten, congratulations!

    This was more like a tutorial for instanced content where players should learn stuff like /GG(well teleport in this one), stacking, reading chat etc. For many players this might have been their first time when they Even join in 10 men squad. Perhaps next strike mission shows some more basic mechanics like CC etc and maybe later there will be actual mechanics in future strike missions.

    And while i can appreciate that, the ramp is so low that instead of taking 3 stair steps into Raids directly, you will need to walk for, depending on the release schedule of these things, 2-10 years at a not even noticeable incline to get to the same point.

    And with all respect, do we really need tutorial instances for typing /gg, joining a Squad and reading chat?
    If this unlocked in the personal story at level 30, alright. But this is max level content 2 expansions deep, accessed in a level 80 LW map. I just feel like the bar is a little low for where it's placed in the game.

    We do need tutorial for those😂 i already learned it today while doing strike missions. But yeah next strike mission should Be already a bit harder imo.

    Fair enough, I just think you learn those things anyway by just joining the content that makes use of that within minutes of just watching or talking to other players, without the need to take the dev time to create this entire thing for it.

    At least Breakbars could have been already included in this one, like he very slowly charges up an arena wide wipe over 20 seconds while going immune to damage (signaling something else has to be done), with a 1k small breakbar to overcome, which should be do able by 10 people even on accident still, using all skills on CD's.

    At this rate the next Strike will have some breakbars and the third one will go, have you heard about those things called boons? And in 2 years+ something will come along that requires more than auto attacking, having covered all the basic game mechanics one should have picked up by hour 10 of playing.

    R.I.P. Build Templates, 15.10.2019

  • maddoctor.2738maddoctor.2738 Member ✭✭✭✭

    The strike mission barely serves as an introduction to Ascalonian Catacombs (or other low level dungeons) as it's easier than any dungeon and any T1 fractal. As an introduction to Raids it doesn't do anything really.

    @sokeenoppa.5384 said:
    This was more like a tutorial for instanced content where players should learn stuff like /GG(well teleport in this one), stacking, reading chat etc.

    Dungeons and Fractals exist to teach players those things, why did we need something new?

  • sokeenoppa.5384sokeenoppa.5384 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @maddoctor.2738 said:
    The strike mission barely serves as an introduction to Ascalonian Catacombs (or other low level dungeons) as it's easier than any dungeon and any T1 fractal. As an introduction to Raids it doesn't do anything really.

    @sokeenoppa.5384 said:
    This was more like a tutorial for instanced content where players should learn stuff like /GG(well teleport in this one), stacking, reading chat etc.

    Dungeons and Fractals exist to teach players those things, why did we need something new?

    For dungeons and fractals you have to use LFG, some players are scared to join Dungeons or fractals coz of that. However joining for strike mission is something where you just show up when you talk with npc. After the first strike mission players realise that instanced content isn't that scary afterall.
    Note, i have no idea why i am even defending strike missions, for me they were totally pointless but i will try to understand their purpose.

    I'll have two number 9s, a number 9 large, a number 6 with extra dip, a number 7, two number 45s, one with cheese, and a large soda.

  • Asum.4960Asum.4960 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 18, 2019

    @sokeenoppa.5384 said:

    @maddoctor.2738 said:
    The strike mission barely serves as an introduction to Ascalonian Catacombs (or other low level dungeons) as it's easier than any dungeon and any T1 fractal. As an introduction to Raids it doesn't do anything really.

    @sokeenoppa.5384 said:
    This was more like a tutorial for instanced content where players should learn stuff like /GG(well teleport in this one), stacking, reading chat etc.

    Dungeons and Fractals exist to teach players those things, why did we need something new?

    For dungeons and fractals you have to use LFG, some players are scared to join Dungeons or fractals coz of that. However joining for strike mission is something where you just show up when you talk with npc. After the first strike mission players realise that instanced content isn't that scary afterall.
    Note, i have no idea why i am even defending strike missions, for me they were totally pointless but i will try to understand their purpose.

    If that is the case, couldn't they have added a autogrouping system to T1 Fractals (as well as dungeons)?
    Seems like a perfect fit.

    R.I.P. Build Templates, 15.10.2019

  • sokeenoppa.5384sokeenoppa.5384 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 18, 2019

    @Asum.4960 said:

    @sokeenoppa.5384 said:

    @maddoctor.2738 said:
    The strike mission barely serves as an introduction to Ascalonian Catacombs (or other low level dungeons) as it's easier than any dungeon and any T1 fractal. As an introduction to Raids it doesn't do anything really.

    @sokeenoppa.5384 said:
    This was more like a tutorial for instanced content where players should learn stuff like /GG(well teleport in this one), stacking, reading chat etc.

    Dungeons and Fractals exist to teach players those things, why did we need something new?

    For dungeons and fractals you have to use LFG, some players are scared to join Dungeons or fractals coz of that. However joining for strike mission is something where you just show up when you talk with npc. After the first strike mission players realise that instanced content isn't that scary afterall.
    Note, i have no idea why i am even defending strike missions, for me they were totally pointless but i will try to understand their purpose.

    If that is the case, couldn't they have added a autogrouping system to T1 Fractals?
    Seems like a perfect fit.

    They could. But i GUESS that strike missions try to evolve into a raid boss once we get more of them. Fractals are a bit different than Raid bosses. But again imo all this stuff should have been covered while players were still under lvl 80. I THINK that this is their way to try to get skill lvl a bit higher with very simple step by step hand holding. Ofc i can be totally wrong about this aswell.
    Edit: after a strike mission players also get a popup Window that tells them how to exit instance, players should know that already aswell but who knows🤷

    I'll have two number 9s, a number 9 large, a number 6 with extra dip, a number 7, two number 45s, one with cheese, and a large soda.

  • maddoctor.2738maddoctor.2738 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @sokeenoppa.5384 said:
    For dungeons and fractals you have to use LFG, some players are scared to join Dungeons or fractals coz of that.

    I wonder how we run dungeons and fractals before LFG was added to the game but I see the point, the players of this game don't really know how to play the game.

    I can understand that they want Strike missions to progress in baby steps. Maybe they made the first strike so easy to see the UPPER LIMIT of player participation in instanced content. Because those not running THIS Strike aren't going to run any harder ones, or harder instanced content in general. So starting with the easiest one, to find the baseline, is a good idea. Because even Freezie and the Dragon Bash arena wasn't run by the majority of the playerbase, not even close.

  • sokeenoppa.5384sokeenoppa.5384 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @maddoctor.2738 said:

    @sokeenoppa.5384 said:
    For dungeons and fractals you have to use LFG, some players are scared to join Dungeons or fractals coz of that.

    I wonder how we run dungeons and fractals before LFG was added to the game but I see the point, the players of this game don't really know how to play the game.

    I can understand that they want Strike missions to progress in baby steps. Maybe they made the first strike so easy to see the UPPER LIMIT of player participation in instanced content. Because those not running THIS Strike aren't going to run any harder ones, or harder instanced content in general. So starting with the easiest one, to find the baseline, is a good idea. Because even Freezie and the Dragon Bash arena wasn't run by the majority of the playerbase, not even close.

    Yeah thats what i think aswell. Imo its a proplem that mmo has alot of players who actually fear to group up, gw2 is the only mmo where i have seen this proplem in forums, ingame and Reddit, perhaps anet tries to fix that. But as for now this one strike missions is kinda pointless unless they are going to release more of them eith harder difficulty.
    Btw its really hard to defend something that i find kinda pointless content 😅

    I'll have two number 9s, a number 9 large, a number 6 with extra dip, a number 7, two number 45s, one with cheese, and a large soda.

  • Asum.4960Asum.4960 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 18, 2019

    @sokeenoppa.5384 said:

    @Asum.4960 said:

    @sokeenoppa.5384 said:

    @maddoctor.2738 said:
    The strike mission barely serves as an introduction to Ascalonian Catacombs (or other low level dungeons) as it's easier than any dungeon and any T1 fractal. As an introduction to Raids it doesn't do anything really.

    @sokeenoppa.5384 said:
    This was more like a tutorial for instanced content where players should learn stuff like /GG(well teleport in this one), stacking, reading chat etc.

    Dungeons and Fractals exist to teach players those things, why did we need something new?

    For dungeons and fractals you have to use LFG, some players are scared to join Dungeons or fractals coz of that. However joining for strike mission is something where you just show up when you talk with npc. After the first strike mission players realise that instanced content isn't that scary afterall.
    Note, i have no idea why i am even defending strike missions, for me they were totally pointless but i will try to understand their purpose.

    If that is the case, couldn't they have added a autogrouping system to T1 Fractals?
    Seems like a perfect fit.

    They could. But i GUESS that strike missions try to evolve into a raid boss once we get more of them. Fractals are a bit different than Raid bosses. But again imo all this stuff should have been covered while players were still under lvl 80. I THINK that this is their way to try to get skill lvl a bit higher with very simple step by step hand holding. Ofc i can be totally wrong about this aswell.
    Edit: after a strike mission players also get a popup Window that tells them how to exit instance, players should know that already aswell but who knows🤷

    And i appreciate that, I really do. Any effort to increase the skill level on the low end is a good initiative, but, and I guess we agree here, the steps could easily be 3 to 5 times as big as whatever this is.
    Any player who would already get scared away by doing anything more than just pressing any button that's not on CD or just autoattacking without any motivation to ever improve from that is never going to join a Raid anyway, no matter how much effort and resources Anet with Strikes or the community with guides, both written and in video form, put into it.

    So might as well not patronize those willing to learn and improve, but simply having an allergy to out of game resources, with this level of difficulty/baby steps. They will be fine.

    R.I.P. Build Templates, 15.10.2019

  • sokeenoppa.5384sokeenoppa.5384 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Asum.4960 said:

    @sokeenoppa.5384 said:

    @Asum.4960 said:

    @sokeenoppa.5384 said:

    @maddoctor.2738 said:
    The strike mission barely serves as an introduction to Ascalonian Catacombs (or other low level dungeons) as it's easier than any dungeon and any T1 fractal. As an introduction to Raids it doesn't do anything really.

    @sokeenoppa.5384 said:
    This was more like a tutorial for instanced content where players should learn stuff like /GG(well teleport in this one), stacking, reading chat etc.

    Dungeons and Fractals exist to teach players those things, why did we need something new?

    For dungeons and fractals you have to use LFG, some players are scared to join Dungeons or fractals coz of that. However joining for strike mission is something where you just show up when you talk with npc. After the first strike mission players realise that instanced content isn't that scary afterall.
    Note, i have no idea why i am even defending strike missions, for me they were totally pointless but i will try to understand their purpose.

    If that is the case, couldn't they have added a autogrouping system to T1 Fractals?
    Seems like a perfect fit.

    They could. But i GUESS that strike missions try to evolve into a raid boss once we get more of them. Fractals are a bit different than Raid bosses. But again imo all this stuff should have been covered while players were still under lvl 80. I THINK that this is their way to try to get skill lvl a bit higher with very simple step by step hand holding. Ofc i can be totally wrong about this aswell.
    Edit: after a strike mission players also get a popup Window that tells them how to exit instance, players should know that already aswell but who knows🤷

    And i appreciate that, I really do. Any effort to increase the skill level on the low end is a good initiative, but, and I guess we agree here, the steps could easily be 3 to 5 times as big as whatever this is.
    Any player who would already get scared away by doing anything more than just pressing any button that's not on CD or just autoattacking without any motivation to ever improve from that is never going to join a Raid anyway, no matter how much effort and resources Anet with Strikes or the community with guides, both written and in video form, put into it.

    So might as well not patronize those willing to learn and improve, but simply having an allergy to out of game resources, with this level of difficulty/baby steps. They will be fine.

    Yeah. Atleast the next step should already teach some actually mechanics. Similar mechanics like VG red seekers, players would learn fast that they need to sidestep or push/Immo those. CC bar would be nice mechanic aswell. Perhaps even something that you need to collect to debuff the boss(like beehives from trio). There is lot of options its up to anet are they gonna use those options or not.

    I'll have two number 9s, a number 9 large, a number 6 with extra dip, a number 7, two number 45s, one with cheese, and a large soda.

  • Fueki.4753Fueki.4753 Member ✭✭✭

    @maddoctor.2738 said:
    I wonder how we run dungeons and fractals before LFG was added to the game but I see the point, the players of this game don't really know how to play the game.

    I can't remember if the LFG tool or fractals came first, but for dungeons there was at least one web site that basically was an external LFG tool.

  • If they are designed to be possible to solo id be happy with that. This game could use some challenging solo content.

  • sokeenoppa.5384sokeenoppa.5384 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Paradoxoglanis.1904 said:
    If they are designed to be possible to solo id be happy with that. This game could use some challenging solo content.

    You can solo current strike mission with many classes already :)

    I'll have two number 9s, a number 9 large, a number 6 with extra dip, a number 7, two number 45s, one with cheese, and a large soda.

  • maddoctor.2738maddoctor.2738 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Fueki.4753 said:

    @maddoctor.2738 said:
    I wonder how we run dungeons and fractals before LFG was added to the game but I see the point, the players of this game don't really know how to play the game.

    I can't remember if the LFG tool or fractals came first, but for dungeons there was at least one web site that basically was an external LFG tool.

    The LFG was released almost a year after release (September 2013), while Fractals were released in November 2012.

  • Asum.4960Asum.4960 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Paradoxoglanis.1904 said:
    If they are designed to be possible to solo id be happy with that. This game could use some challenging solo content.

    The problem with that is it's not compelling solo content either, as the "challenge" solo is in hitting the DPS check of the enrage (which is doable solo), not the actual fight.
    So you boredly hit the boss for close to 10 minutes and then either kill it or fall over and have to try again.

    You will have a much better time going into 99CM and soloing MAMA etc., if you are looking for engaging solo fights.

    R.I.P. Build Templates, 15.10.2019

  • I knew strikes missions will be disappointment the moment they announced it. Getting to the boss is harder than killing it. It's amazing really. I lack imagination to come up with something this easy and make it your selling point for brand new content in the game.

  • Fueki.4753Fueki.4753 Member ✭✭✭

    @Asum.4960 said:
    The problem with that is it's not compelling solo content either, as the "challenge" solo is in hitting the DPS check of the enrage (which is doable solo), not the actual fight.
    So you boredly hit the boss for close to 10 minutes and then either kill it or fall over and have to try again.

    Meanwhile, some groups of 5 randoms can't beat that things even with Warrior banners swaying in the storm.
    Or maybe I just had terrible luck, as usual.
    But I didn't like the Jump Puzzle Winds either.

  • perilisk.1874perilisk.1874 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @sokeenoppa.5384 said:
    Yeah. Atleast the next step should already teach some actually mechanics. Similar mechanics like VG red seekers, players would learn fast that they need to sidestep or push/Immo those. CC bar would be nice mechanic aswell. Perhaps even something that you need to collect to debuff the boss(like beehives from trio). There is lot of options its up to anet are they gonna use those options or not.

    Are baby raids even the best place to try to teach mechanics? The chief issue with nonstandard mechanics (ie, not DPS and dodging and breakbars and circles and such that you pick up anywhere) is that learning takes a certain amount of failure, and most people not only don't want that failure to be public, but also don't want it to screw things up for other people.

    It seems like something that would work better if you gave raid areas an OW explorable mode and filled them with Adventures (instanced if need be) that trained specific mechanics, so players could rapidly iterate through failure cycles solo.

    Removing the group assembly part of "raiding" is probably the best feature of strike missions.

  • My experience with the strike mission (as a non raider):

    I went in on my condi renegade in exotic viper. I have no clue what my dps is as I don't do dps meters. I didn't use buffs or foods (no clue what to even use). So I joined into my 1st public. I did not know what to expect and got hooked up with about 8 or 9 other players. First I got rolled over by a snowball (I had seen this tact at the Snowy raid so knew to avoid it but while I thought I stood enough out of its way I still got hit and was impossible to escape till I was back at the start sigh. So lost my whole team.... Ran back up avoiding the other snowballs perfectly. Saw a jumping puzzle... Ok.. (Inserts a why???) Wondered where it started and once I finally found it I was going through the jumps... Slippery path in a jump puzzle really? Fell down.... Team was already fighting the boss at this point.... No clue how to get there... Someone called brazier... Had no clue what they meant as I didn't see one. When I finally noticed a portal a la Dragonfall I ported there... Ok this is that brazier... So I port and I am dead... Nice game.... Nobody in the team even bothered ressing me... Or explaining anything at all... Waiting 8 mins till the whole thing is over (they got 1 chest and I got nothing)... Everyone leaves... I cannot leave... Waiting for some timer to finish for 3 mins... Great experience!!! NOT. So tried again a public team. Again ppl not talking at all but at least I knew 1. snowballs and 2. take brazier as soon as up. Ported to that portal and did the boss. I did go down once (I think due to them tiny balls doing some dot or something?) but didn't die. Made sure to pop the group heal and also buff others with my skills. Tactics I found kinda easy but I know to not stand in red circles and those triangle lines nor in front of the boss. We managed to kill it and get 2 chests. It didn't feel difficult but not the most easy either (I know some ppl that will fail this). Easy I call when one does not get downed at all and I have seen folks downed in the 2 fights I have seen. Tho Freezy raid was more difficult. Maybe its same if only low dpses get teamed up together (I have been in a Freezy where we failed and could not down it). Ofc for regular raiders this is a piece of cake (with a premade group ofc). They should add a way to leave the place when a boss is slain tho like they had with dragonbash (but then when boss is down). The rewards were disappointing. I do not know if I would do it again due to seemingly bad rewards and the feel as if every player is anti social and only thinking bout him/herself (aka not communicating and not helping).

  • Ayrilana.1396Ayrilana.1396 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I can see the strike bosses being used to teach players various mechanics. Obviously the difficulty of this was scaled down to the typical PvE open world player but it's better this way as everyone is included. The difficulty can scale up with each new strike mission. The current boss teaches players to jump over shock-waves and it makes it very obvious when the attack is going to happen.

  • Now that it has been finally released, I think this is pretty much a let down for any raiders who were expecting any kind of fill-in to the gap (or rather chasm) that divides the playerbase.

    The odd part however is that the rewards are also abysmal - which will also let down the Open World players who were expecting this to be farmable to some extent. I really hope this is only a test and they will listen to feedback because at the moment they have managed to please absolutely no one, what an effort on their part lol.

    Raiders know that the raid rewards are not that great. You can't put it on farm mode. But if Strike Missions are supposed to bring in everyone else, you bet everyone else is expecting a farm. GW2 is all about farming, either achievements or raw gold, and I have no idea how they plan to make this content anywhere near regular in its current iteration. Sadly this is what, the third time they make a blunder out of rewards, since both of their MAJOR expansions HoT and PoF needed to greatly increase its incentives for people to actually start frequenting maps.

  • @Ayrilana.1396 said:
    I can see the strike bosses being used to teach players various mechanics. Obviously the difficulty of this was scaled down to the typical PvE open world player but it's better this way as everyone is included. The difficulty can scale up with each new strike mission. The current boss teaches players to jump over shock-waves and it makes it very obvious when the attack is going to happen.

    The shockwaves at Tequatl teached ppl this better (and the ones that don't jump there won't jump in the strike mission either).

    As for rewards they should have either go with raid rewards (I mean stuff one can only get via raids) or some reward track with chests with decent loot or something. I mean people redo pvp to get those loots and pick whichever track they like.

  • None of the above options really hit on my opinion. I'm a non-raider, and I'm on the fence. I will never be interested in actual raids, because I can't be bothered to upgrade my gear beyond exotics--upgrading gear is just SO BORING for me.
    I am not especially interested in strike missions RIGHT NOW, but it's too early to form my final opinion. I'll try the one that's out at the moment, and go from there. If the content is really fun, that would make me more interested. Or, if there are rewards offered such as rare armor, weapon, and mount skins--that would make me interested, even if the content doesn't.
    However, if strike missions go in the direction of raids, where teams only accept players with ascended/legendary armor, then absolutely nothing can make me interested enough to go through the boring awful hell that is upgrading my gear.

  • Vayne.8563Vayne.8563 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @maddoctor.2738 said:
    I'll reserve judgement until I see them in action since so far the developers have shown they either don't care or don't read the feedback on the forums about soon-to-released features. Plus when you give feedback, about something that hasn't been released yet, the forum police will say "have faith!" or "wait until its released!" or (when we get a few more tidbits) "this isn't the final version!".

    Also it's not Strike Missions but it's singular. One of these is coming and who knows how long to get a second one.

    I think they read the forums. I don't think they obey the forums. Big difference. If they obeyed the forums, we probably wouldn't have mounts now. lol

  • Engal.6359Engal.6359 Member ✭✭✭

    Pretty fun, still working on trying to solo it (got to ~60%)

  • Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭

    This strike mission is a joke. Story missions are more challenging than that. I hope future ones will be better.

  • Cynder.2509Cynder.2509 Member ✭✭✭

    Despite already raiding this concept sounds nice in theory but in practice however the whole thing is a joke. You can literally solo the whole thing (tried it first solo and got it to like 60%. I'd have completely soloed it if I wasn't full dps with limited healing though) and as a group you can do it with less than 4 or 3 even. The only thing that does prepare in any way is the usage of lfg and the group feeling but you can already do that while pugging fractals and actual raids. Considering that you can do some raid bosses with only 5 people I think this needs still a bit of tuning. If you want to get prepared for raiding you're better off with wing 4 bosses like Cairn or the Mursaat Overseer for example.
    Tried to do the strike mission with a fully raid optimized squad (you know, these typical raid lfg pugging groups) and it was total overkill. You could even do that with just two bearbow rangers without problem. The only thing needing "skill" is the jumping puzzle which you can skip if someone already did it.

    I'm Hunter, he/him/they
    Check out my Tumblr for more GW2 content if you want: http://is-it-because-im-charr.tumblr.com/
    Character infos: https://is-it-because-im-charr.tumblr.com/characters

  • LadyKitty.6120LadyKitty.6120 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 19, 2019

    @Weindrasi.3805 said:
    None of the above options really hit on my opinion. I'm a non-raider, and I'm on the fence. I will never be interested in actual raids, because I can't be bothered to upgrade my gear beyond exotics--upgrading gear is just SO BORING for me.
    I am not especially interested in strike missions RIGHT NOW, but it's too early to form my final opinion. I'll try the one that's out at the moment, and go from there. If the content is really fun, that would make me more interested. Or, if there are rewards offered such as rare armor, weapon, and mount skins--that would make me interested, even if the content doesn't.
    However, if strike missions go in the direction of raids, where teams only accept players with ascended/legendary armor, then absolutely nothing can make me interested enough to go through the boring awful hell that is upgrading my gear.

    Raids are easily doable in exotic gears and it's possible to prepare apug ready-build for 10-15g . Ascended is mainly required by high-end statics and speedrunners.
    Here's an example of what a cheapo build can do.

    It's Kitty. The young lady who streams and records videos playing various (non-)metabuilds. Raid/fractal videos at youtube.com/LadyKitty, Kittymarks test results at youtube.com/Kittymarks and tinyurl.com/Kittymarks and streams at twitch.tv/ladykittygw2 .

  • Taygus.4571Taygus.4571 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Weindrasi.3805 said:
    None of the above options really hit on my opinion. I'm a non-raider, and I'm on the fence. I will never be interested in actual raids, because I can't be bothered to upgrade my gear beyond exotics--upgrading gear is just SO BORING for me.
    I am not especially interested in strike missions RIGHT NOW, but it's too early to form my final opinion. I'll try the one that's out at the moment, and go from there. If the content is really fun, that would make me more interested. Or, if there are rewards offered such as rare armor, weapon, and mount skins--that would make me interested, even if the content doesn't.
    However, if strike missions go in the direction of raids, where teams only accept players with ascended/legendary armor, then absolutely nothing can make me interested enough to go through the boring awful hell that is upgrading my gear.

    most training guilds... only ask for exotic and if possible ascended accessories(which are easy to get via LS3.)

  • Asum.4960Asum.4960 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Taygus.4571 said:

    @Weindrasi.3805 said:
    None of the above options really hit on my opinion. I'm a non-raider, and I'm on the fence. I will never be interested in actual raids, because I can't be bothered to upgrade my gear beyond exotics--upgrading gear is just SO BORING for me.
    I am not especially interested in strike missions RIGHT NOW, but it's too early to form my final opinion. I'll try the one that's out at the moment, and go from there. If the content is really fun, that would make me more interested. Or, if there are rewards offered such as rare armor, weapon, and mount skins--that would make me interested, even if the content doesn't.
    However, if strike missions go in the direction of raids, where teams only accept players with ascended/legendary armor, then absolutely nothing can make me interested enough to go through the boring awful hell that is upgrading my gear.

    most training guilds... only ask for exotic and if possible ascended accessories(which are easy to get via LS3.)

    Really the one thing to go for is ascended weapons should you play DPS, as beyond stat increases they feature a higher base damage to get modified by all your damage modifiers, netting a ~6% damage increase on it's own.

    Meanwhile set of armor, consisting of 6 times as many ascended pieces to get on the other hand is less than a 2% increase in damage.
    Trinkets/back also add around as much as a single Weapon altogether.

    So just getting an ascended weapon is a good place to start as well as very obtainable, then moving to trinkets, then armor.

    R.I.P. Build Templates, 15.10.2019

  • SkyShroud.2865SkyShroud.2865 Member ✭✭✭✭

    It is basically a nerfed version of meta event. I bet they think that having meta event is not sustainable in long run so they decided a mini version like this.

    Founder & Retired Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International PvX Guild
    Henge of Denravi
    https://discord.gg/P5dj7fd

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.