Spending Money Is Supporting The Game — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Spending Money Is Supporting The Game

I see my guildmates and alot of people are saying they have problem spending too much money on the game. No, there is no such thing spending too much real life money on the game. If you spend your money example buy gems.. You are helping/supporting the game. Your money will be used to update the game, make new outfits, new weapon skins , mount skins and so many more new content for the game. So dont feel bad whenever you feel like spending real money.

<13

Comments

• Mewcifer.5198Mewcifer.5198 Member ✭✭✭✭

Since the game gives me regular updates without requiring a subscription I have no problem spending money in the gem store.
    Although it's not a bad idea to hold onto your money until anet does something you like. If enough people do this and anet sees their income spike after certain things they might pay attention to what people really like.

My list of suggestions for GW2
    Max Masteries | 17.5k AP

• @C Cspace Cowboy.5903 said:
    I've spent thousands of dollars on this franchise and my game mode hasnt seen an update in what? 4? years?

No more. ;)

Great Things Take Time My Friend. Great Things Take Time.

• Sure that's on them, they chose to spend to get the new shiny.
    2k in this game

50k in that other mobile game (from experience thats not alway the people who can afford to trow that kind of money)
    You can say it's their decision, and it is. But it still kind of morally wrong for game companies to milk people so and encouraging their impulsive gambling behaviour.

I 've had my share of addictions , and sure its the player's fault in a way. They get convinced over and over they want to. And after having spent x, what does it matter. If I don't spend another y, that x will have been for nothing
    Still they are like a brewery making a promo night at an AA meeting.

• Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

I think it's a mistake to assume that everyone who spends money on microtransactions spends more than they would on a subscription. Whenever I've added it up what I've spent works out as far less than a subscription would cost me, in any game. I haven't worked it out for GW2 for a while because there's no easy way to track the transactions and I'm not keen on trawling through 7 years of bank records but if anything the average per month will have gone down recently. (Nothing to do with the game, everything to do with having other things to spend money on and being one of those boring adults who has to understand that "there's no such thing as spending too much on a game" simply isn't true unless you have infinite money.)

But more importantly there's a difference between buying gems as and when you want to because there's an item you want to buy, and paying a subscription because you're required to do it to be allowed to play the game you've already bought. The reason I gave up on subscription games isn't that I couldn't afford it, but that I found having paid for permission to log in I felt like I had to play "enough" to get my money's worth, and then I wasn't enjoying it as much because I felt like I was only playing because I had to. Add on the fact that my life is pretty erratic, meaning it's impossible for me to predict 30 days in advance how much time I'll have for a game so I could easily end up paying a subscription and then never getting to play at all in that time and it just becomes a bad deal. Every time I've ended up deciding I'd rather stick to non-subscription games where I don't need to worry about it.

So I'm one of the ones who would definitely quit if GW2 introduced a subscription, even if it meant all the stuff in the gem store could be unlocked in-game. I'd much rather periodically buy an item I like and then have it available as and when I want to use it than pay in advance for time and have to worry about making sure I get to use it.

(One possible exception is if they introduced a 'pay as you go' subscription where you buy a number of hours and it's only used up when you're actually logged in. I think that might work better for me, but I've never had the chance to try it because it's only ever been offered in Korea by a minority of games trying to introduce people used to free-to-play games to subscriptions.)

Danielle Aurorel - Desolation EU. Mini Collector.

"I know that I'm born and I know that I'll die, the in-between is mine."

• @Ayakaru.6583 said:

@knomslayer.9457 said:
    I see my guildmates and alot of people are saying they have problem spending too much money on the game. No, there is no such thing spending too much real life money on the game. If you spend your money example buy gems.. You are helping/supporting the game. Your money will be used to update the game, make new outfits, new weapon skins , mount skins and so many more new content for the game. So dont feel bad whenever you feel like spending real money.

This i naively believed until the contract crash half a year ago. Then we learned none of the gold ends up in gw2

.... Okay.. Then where is the gold end up?

• Mewcifer.5198Mewcifer.5198 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Danikat.8537 said:
    I think it's a mistake to assume that everyone who spends money on microtransactions spends more than they would on a subscription. Whenever I've added it up what I've spent works out as far less than a subscription would cost me, in any game. I haven't worked it out for GW2 for a while because there's no easy way to track the transactions and I'm not keen on trawling through 7 years of bank records but if anything the average per month will have gone down recently. (Nothing to do with the game, everything to do with having other things to spend money on and being one of those boring adults who has to understand that "there's no such thing as spending too much on a game" simply isn't true unless you have infinite money.)

But more importantly there's a difference between buying gems as and when you want to because there's an item you want to buy, and paying a subscription because you're required to do it to be allowed to play the game you've already bought. The reason I gave up on subscription games isn't that I couldn't afford it, but that I found having paid for permission to log in I felt like I had to play "enough" to get my money's worth, and then I wasn't enjoying it as much because I felt like I was only playing because I had to. Add on the fact that my life is pretty erratic, meaning it's impossible for me to predict 30 days in advance how much time I'll have for a game so I could easily end up paying a subscription and then never getting to play at all in that time and it just becomes a bad deal. Every time I've ended up deciding I'd rather stick to non-subscription games where I don't need to worry about it.

So I'm one of the ones who would definitely quit if GW2 introduced a subscription, even if it meant all the stuff in the gem store could be unlocked in-game. I'd much rather periodically buy an item I like and then have it available as and when I want to use it than pay in advance for time and have to worry about making sure I get to use it.

(One possible exception is if they introduced a 'pay as you go' subscription where you buy a number of hours and it's only used up when you're actually logged in. I think that might work better for me, but I've never had the chance to try it because it's only ever been offered in Korea by a minority of games trying to introduce people used to free-to-play games to subscriptions.)

I've never bothered checking whether or not my spending on gw2 would be equal to paying a sub. But with the type of work I do I don't always earn the same amount every month. So sometimes I can't spend any money at all, sometimes I can spend a lot. For me at least it is easier to spend my money through the gem store when I can than to have to cancel a subscription and not be able to play just because I had a slow month.

There have been months where I spent a lot of money (some would even say it was way too much to spend on a game), but I don't know what my monthly spending average is.

My list of suggestions for GW2
    Max Masteries | 17.5k AP

• @Glider.5792 said:

@knomslayer.9457 said:

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

@knomslayer.9457 said:

This i naively believed until the contract crash half a year ago. Then we learned none of the gold ends up in gw2

Aperently mobile projects.

I see what you're trying to say.. Ncsoft does have alot of mobile games.. But come on man, i dont think they would spend incomes from gw2 for those mobile games

At least some of the money spent on GW2 has to go to staff working on it, unless you believe all the changes which have happened were done by people working for free or somehow just happened on their own by magic. It may not have been spent on making exactly the changes you personally would prefer to see, but that's a whole other discussion. Anet doesn't have any other games, so there is no where else for money to come from to pay those people.

(Also we've known since before GW1 was released that some of the money spent on these games would go to NCSoft because that's how the industry works.)

• Burnfall.9573Burnfall.9573 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2, 2019

Spending money to support 7 years old game that refuses to progress?

No Thank You!!

Until Anet listen to their player base who want positive healthy change, don't even think about it!!

Instead, support those who prioritize in their players experience, growth and concerns

instead of their own agenda

(by the way, has anyone heard a game called, No Man Sky? here is a read when game companies who finally learned in prioritizing in their players experiences, growth and concerns. In return; gain Trust, Respect and Prosperity)

Hello Games amongst others also realized without addressing the root cause problems in their games; their would never be any solutions. Instead; it would be endless repetitive cycle like what we have here.

so they finally said, No Way!!

--/Bravo to Hello Games including others who took steps to change and who continue to strive in learning and listening - :)

--here goes--

https://www.polygon.com/reviews/2019/8/20/20813623/no-mans-sky-beyond-review-hello-games-update-nms

• kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

@mexifelio.6892 said:
    At this point I feel as if spending money on this game is supporting gambling tactics

How is this any different than going out to a bar for a few drinks? You pay your money to the establishment to enjoy yourself, and you get no real, tangible thing from it. That's ok -- that's what paying for entertainment is like. But then, what about the fact that the bar might also be serving drinks to alcoholics? By your example, you are then promoting that behavior?

I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

• Pifil.5193Pifil.5193 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Randulf.7614 said:

@knomslayer.9457 said:

@Glider.5792 said:

@knomslayer.9457 said:

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

@knomslayer.9457 said:

Aperently mobile projects.

I see what you're trying to say.. Ncsoft does have alot of mobile games.. But come on man, i dont think they would spend incomes from gw2 for those mobile games

What they are saying is, ANet were working on other projects themselves (some believed to be mobile) and not just GW2. The poster is implying that money was being spent on those and not just GW2. Those projects were scrapped, any money wasted and GW2 did suffer for it (we know Kourna was released unfinished and some other devs have implied other things couldn't be done due to other constraints)

As far as I'm concerned, I don't spend money to support anyone. I buy gems because I want something for me that they are selling. End of

Yeah, ArenaNet have diverted resources from GW2 to other projects, this is clear from the announcements around the layoffs. They've cancelled some or all of those other projects but it's pretty apparent to me that they could have delivered more GW2 content sooner had ArenaNet not diverted attention and resources onto those other projects.

While I have no doubt about the commitment of the devs working on GW2 I'm no longer convinced of ArenaNet's or NCSoft's commitment to GW2.

In the past I used to buy stuff I wasn't all that interested in just to support GW2 but no more, now I'll buy what I want and only that.

• @EmmetOtter.8542 said:

@knomslayer.9457 said:
    No, there is no such thing spending too much real life money on the game.

Some people have poor self control or don't keep track of their expenditures properly and spend money they can't afford to spend.

Any amount of money you later regret spending is "too much". Whatever the cause.

What im trying to say is if you want something, buy it. If i want KFC ill go get KFC. I wont regret getting something that i want because its what i want. If i like a outfit ingame i go get it because i like it, at the same time im supporting the game.

• Well Ive stop supporting the game since they stop supporting pvp. All I play in gw2 is pvp but they act like we are second class citizens with bad/slow balancing/updates. Until they start treating us like pvers I wont give another penny to them.

It's almost impossible to spend money in a way that ensures the recipient will only spend it on things you personally approve of. I shop at a particular supermarket because I like their selection of fresh fruit and vegetables. Recently they put in a terrible 'build your own pizza counter' with really poor quality toppings and inflated prices. I'm certain some of the money I spent there went towards funding that. Should I tell them I refuse to shop there until they remove that counter and prioritise the things I buy from them? How do you think they'd react?

Similarly I buy mid-range smart phones, based on reviews saying they have good battery life and durability, but I have to get them from companies which also produce top-of-the-line phones with loads of features I couldn't care less about and which may or may not work. (Or might actually explode, if you're really unlucky.) Does that mean I can demand that they stop making those phones and only make sensible mid-range ones from now on because that's what I want to buy?

In case you're wondering the answer in all cases is no. A supermarket or phone company is not going to care what I think they should send their money developing, and the answer is much the same for a games studio. Not just Anet, any studio.

The only way to make sure you're getting what you want for your money is to spend it buying things you want, not spend it as 'support' for a company in the hope that later on they will make something you like. Buy gems because there's something in the gem store you want, buy expansions or LW episodes you missed because you want that expansion/episode, not because you're hoping Anet will somehow know what you actually want and will put the money towards making it later on.

• Leo G.4501Leo G.4501 Member ✭✭✭✭

@knomslayer.9457 said:
    Your money will be used to update the game, make new outfits, new weapon skins , mount skins and so many more new content for the game. So dont feel bad whenever you feel like spending real money.

What about paying their workers? You'd figure that would be the first thing mentioned. Or maybe paying for upkeep.

• Fueki.4753Fueki.4753 Member ✭✭✭

Maybe if they prioritized the right things, for example:
    1) expansions with real expansion features
    2) more good-looking ARMOURS, both ingame and on the cash shop, stop the outfit overload.

Being able to individual parts of outfits, if they had been created as armours, might result in even more sales.
    At least I'd buy more of them if I could switch out parts with other skins.

• @Leo G.4501 said:

@knomslayer.9457 said:
    Your money will be used to update the game, make new outfits, new weapon skins , mount skins and so many more new content for the game. So dont feel bad whenever you feel like spending real money.

What about paying their workers? You'd figure that would be the first thing mentioned. Or maybe paying for upkeep.

Yes for the workers too.. without the worker there wont be content updates... no new skins

• @kharmin.7683 said:

@mexifelio.6892 said:
    At this point I feel as if spending money on this game is supporting gambling tactics

How is this any different than going out to a bar for a few drinks? You pay your money to the establishment to enjoy yourself, and you get no real, tangible thing from it. That's ok -- that's what paying for entertainment is like. But then, what about the fact that the bar might also be serving drinks to alcoholics? By your example, you are then promoting that behavior?

When you go to a bar you order the drink from a bartender and he brings it to you.

When you want a nice, new shiny that is only obtainable through RNG from a black lion chest, you must buy black lion keys over and over until you either get lucky enough to randomly get it as a drop or run out of money.
    I hardly believe people who buy $50 worth of black lion keys to get a single item and don't end up lucky enough to get the drop are walking away from this game with a feeling of enjoyment.

How on earth or those 2 things even remotely related?

• @knomslayer.9457 said:

you dont support the game with buying gems and stuff in the store.
    you only acknowledge anet in keeping up the cheap way of item skins sales.

they think like that: "cheap to produce item skins and skin repaints sales are running - so lets put more cheap skins and repaints out.

if you all stop buying that cheap items and stop supporting this farming method they will move and produce better content if thats the only thing players buy.

want expansions and more content? stop buying the cheap items.

And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'not today'.

• any money you spend in game goes directly to ncsoft, who in turn pays the wages for anet.

so youre basically bribing ncsoft to not cancel the game and fire anets employees.

1. None of the stuff I've wanted has ever been implemented. (Until now with a norn/charr story.) But new races, classes and WvW and PvP upgrades as well as cool content that is not based around PvE exclusively have been added.
    2. They CONSTANTLY say "soon" and never provide.
    3. We continually get promises which never come to fruition.

I buy stuff when I like it but thats has been very sparce lately, I doubt it will be something that changes. (Unless they really double down on cosmetics I like, Which I doubt because Hide, bone, fur and more savage/hardcore looking stuff really doesn't fit here.) Frankly I just don't get why people are mad that others don't spend money, the game doesn't provide ENOUGH for all the different modes. IF you are not a PvE (Open world PvE) player at heart the game will slowly grow stale and then we do the "Eh Ill be back in a few months." which then leads to us not paying attention to their shop and what they make.

If they want money then they need to design things that they know people will want~

• kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

@mexifelio.6892 said:

I was referring to the point that people keep making by blaming Anet for addicted players not being able to control themselves. Addiction is a strong thing, I get it; however, one should not blame the source of the addiction but rather the individual who is unwilling or unable to control their impulses.

I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

• zealex.9410zealex.9410 Member ✭✭✭✭

@kharmin.7683 said:

I was referring to the point that people keep making by blaming Anet for addicted players not being able to control themselves. Addiction is a strong thing, I get it; however, one should not blame the source of the addiction but rather the individual who is unwilling or unable to control their impulses.

Yeah, 2k and ea releasing full on casinos and lootbox based economies in their games is completely fine and acceptable, its the pesky ppl that suffer from addiction that shouldnt buy those things.

• Zaklex.6308Zaklex.6308 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Simzani.4318 said:
    That's just half true. Your money will also be used to pay something like most devs working on non-gw2 projects, paying ghost teams like spvp team, fractal team, ui team, wvw team, raid team, engine team, server team, balance team, community team, and also paying the marketing team who will rent a theater to announce nothing and seeks partnership for unrelated products.

There are no teams working on non-GW2 projects, that's exactly what the layoffs where about and what was reiterated after said layoffs...everyone working on something else had been brought back onto GW2.

Yes...no...maybe...what do you want, can't you see I'm busy saving the world...AGAIN!

• zealex.9410zealex.9410 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Zaklex.6308 said:

@Simzani.4318 said:
    That's just half true. Your money will also be used to pay something like most devs working on non-gw2 projects, paying ghost teams like spvp team, fractal team, ui team, wvw team, raid team, engine team, server team, balance team, community team, and also paying the marketing team who will rent a theater to announce nothing and seeks partnership for unrelated products.

There are no teams working on non-GW2 projects, that's exactly what the layoffs where about and what was reiterated after said layoffs...everyone working on something else had been brought back onto GW2.

You got a source saying they dont have devs working on other projects?

Yes gw2 is their main focus rn but that doesnt mean they arent working on kther stuff, it just mean that the bulk of the company is on gw2.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.