State of thief: WvW vs sPvP

Zamyron.6750

Hey fellow thieves, I am a mostly WvW player but today I went to a custom 1v1 arena to hone my skills a bit and duel some people. After duelling some warriors, rangers and other classes I felt like I was always hitting like a wet noodle with my strongest skills barely reaching 3k damage (I used s/d) and had the hp of a wet noodle. On contrary though, in WvW my skills seem to do more damage (5.7k isn't weird on cloak and dagger) and I can actually seem to fight and win against most classes. This made me wonder on how thief differs in the game modes and it's viability as a duelist. I know that in sPvP thief can't duel at all but that seems to dramatically change in WvW. So now the questions are: is thief a viable duelist in WvW, how does thief differ across the gamemodes and what is the state of thief in those gamemodes?

Obviously in a gamemode that has (potentially) higher stats, you will do more damage. You also might be facing enemies with worse stats. That being said, is thief a viable duelist in WvW? It depends. Against the meta roaming classes, not exactly. Just like thief benefits from better gear, so do they. And they have a higher starting point. You might be able to kill them occasionally, but on average you lose more. That being said, the beauty of WvW is that you choose your targets. Focusing on easy targets allows you to get, well, easy kills without much trouble, and it can be quite useful. So thief is alright. Better in cases of smaller skirmishes between groups rather than proper duels.