Which CS traits for S/P Deadeye in PvP?

Kageseigi.2150

I've built an S/P and Shortbow Power/Crit Deadeye around Quickness (+52% uptime). But there are two trait choices in Critical Strikes that I'm not sure which is best.

My stats are:

Power: 2,050Precision: 2,050 (55%)Ferocity: 560 (187.3%)Health: 17,245

The traits I'm having trouble deciding between are:

Assassin's FuryorTwin Fangs

Practiced ToleranceorAnkle Shots

Basically, Assassin's Fury is guaranteed Might because I have No Quarter. And Twin Fangs requires 90+% health for the damage increase and flanking for the crit chance increase.I'm guessing that Assassin's Fury is better for sustained damage, and Twin Fangs may be better for opening bursts. I'm just not sure on the math for how many Might applications I would need in order to make up for the 7% critical damage increase.

Also, Practiced Tolerance raises my Ferocity up to 765 (201%). And unless I'm mistaken, Ankle Shots gives me a 5% damage boost as long as I have my Pistol equipped, and another 5% boost when the target is crippled. Again, another math issue between damage boost and critical damage boost.

Here's the build (minus the two trait choices), though in game, the crit chance says 55%, not 60%...http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PawAwqVlNw8YQsNGJWgWqvWA-z5IeKZKEiWE0tCoiJgYHA

Thanks for the help! :-D

I would go Fury and Ankle Shots.

Fury for the RELIABLE might uptime - more reliable and usable than the other one. You'll either get behind someone or not, there's not really a way to play around the positional requirement. The vast majority of the time ppl will be facing you during combat so they can cast - or kiting in a way that prevents you from hitting them anyway, so at best you'd probably get the benefit of Infiltrator's Strike getting the boost and nothing else. The extra OOMPH as the might stacks add up near the end of the fight can really help finish things off.

Ankle shots for the cripple. The damage boost is nice AND consistent, and can keep opponents from walking out of your pistol whip/follow up AAs. As a DE you kinda lack swiftness, mostly, so keeping up with opponents to finish them off (without resorting to using infiltrator's strike again) can be tough.

I prefer Ankle shots over practiced tolerance and in particular if you remain in s/p. You are using a sigil with a 5 percent damage add to a person with movement impairing condition so even better as the cripple off Ankle shots will help keep that always on.

In WvW due to my long boon time, I am able to get might to near 20 stacks quite consistently using just the MALI7. If I happen to be with a person sharing might I can be capped often enough so as to make the source of might from assassins fury redundant. As such I tend to take Twin Fangs. (I also use p/p as the off hand set for my range and that loads me up with a lot of might that lasts well past swap)

Note that I feel the opportunity to take someone from the flank or rear higher in WvW . Added to this your own build is taking BqoBk so you are not getting might from the Mali7 and SB your off hand As such the Assassins Fury is likely be better for you .

With BQoBK there's very little reason to take Burst of Agility, and I think there's honestly anti-synergy with the NQ+AF combo using a quickness S/P build, as your might gain is restricted to once every 2 seconds which is longer than the full PW cast as it is, and with Haste you have an excess of quickness and not a lot of bulk Fury sources to stack might with. ToTC + TF will provide higher numbers and more consistent damage earlier in the fight which has more synergy with a quickness-based PW build. Yes, the AF might build has a higher maximum, but you're rarely going to stay engaged for long enough to actually build those might stacks, and with so much of the combo riding on long cooldowns for the might gain (60s Burst of Agility, 10s Unrelenting Strikes, 24s Haste) with the single-PW maximum capping at 12 stacks and a lower crit chance versus 3 might + higher crit chance + an additional modifier multiplied by the others, you end up just generally better-off skipping AF.

PT is better than Ankle Shots for everything except PW, but is significantly better for PW. Depends on how you're actually killing people in-game. If I had to guess on what would be better, I'd wager Ankle Shots to increase the PW hits landed via the cripple, but it's probably pretty much equal in potency depending on the opponent.

@DeceiverX.8361 said:With BQoBK there's very little reason to take Burst of Agility, and I think there's honestly anti-synergy with the NQ+AF combo using a quickness S/P build, as your might gain is restricted to once every 2 seconds which is longer than the full PW cast as it is, and with Haste you have an excess of quickness and not a lot of bulk Fury sources to stack might with. ToTC + TF will provide higher numbers and more consistent damage earlier in the fight which has more synergy with a quickness-based PW build. Yes, the AF might build has a higher maximum, but you're rarely going to stay engaged for long enough to actually build those might stacks, and with so much of the combo riding on long cooldowns for the might gain (60s Burst of Agility, 10s Unrelenting Strikes, 24s Haste) with the single-PW maximum capping at 12 stacks and a lower crit chance versus 3 might + higher crit chance + an additional modifier multiplied by the others, you end up just generally better-off skipping AF.

PT is better than Ankle Shots for everything except PW, but is significantly better for PW. Depends on how you're actually killing people in-game. If I had to guess on what would be better, I'd wager Ankle Shots to increase the PW hits landed via the cripple, but it's probably pretty much equal in potency depending on the opponent.

Using BOA , Haste and the CS line in conjunction I generally can generate 12 steady might stacks out of my build using assassins fury. There plenty of fury sources here and TOTC only allows that fury on a lower Cool down when compared to BOA. At the same time while BOA with Bqobk might seem redundant , it is not as the time of the quickness extended and you want the bonuses of +200 power +200 precision out of BqobK for as long as possible. If you can get quickness running 50+ percent of the time you you will get that 200 power 50 percent of the time and 200 precision 50 percent of the time and have what is essence double fury for the precision add which can push crit rates to 100 percent. I find BqobK + Boa work great together with SP (while severance sigil not in PvP as far as I know mate that with bqobk and a pistol whip with quickness gets real nasty)

Again I myself prefer the TF and Ankle shot combo but the person in question will have to see how many might stacks he can consistently build in game. A lot depends on style of combat, how often one in s/p over SB and so forth. How long one sticks in battle as you mentioned will make a significant difference to might stacks built.

@Kageseigi.2150 said:Assassin's FuryorTwin Fangs

Twin Fangs is only good if you're also taking Invigorating Prec. Without it to heal you back up >90%, Twin is useless. In addition, Twin works even better with Acro's Assassin's Reward. Without Invig Prec and Assassin's Reward, Twin Fangs is not a good choice.

Assassin's Fury on the other hand works well with your build because you have chosen to take Premed. So that's really an obvious choice.

Practiced ToleranceorAnkle Shots

Practiced Tolerance gives about 13 crit damage with your build while Ankle Shots gives 9 crit damage on non-crippled target and 18 crit damage on crippled target. If you can consistently maintain cripple, Ankle Shot is the best choice. Ankle Shots ICD makes it an unreliable source of cripple and the only other source of cripple is AA#3 for 2s duration.

You'll need other source of cripple if you want to maximize the damage from Ankle Shot. My suggestion is to swap Binding Shadow with Caltrops. You can drop Caltrops after using Sword #2. But that's just a suggestion. If you're not willing to take Caltrops, I doubt you'll benefit much from Ankle Shot and you're better off with Practiced Tolerance.

Tbh, CS>DA until first improvisation proc.

What i'm trying to say, if you want to get something different from CS and not just gimp urself for no reason by picking CS, you should take heal for crit trait to alter your gameplay.

Practised tolerance is much better than ankle shots, just because S/p has no on demand cripple, means you won't benefit from this trait that often.As for the adept tier, considering you took heal for crit trait, twin fangs are better, since you're not getting a lot of fury procs.

@babazhook.6805 said:

@DeceiverX.8361 said:With BQoBK there's very little reason to take Burst of Agility, and I think there's honestly anti-synergy with the NQ+AF combo using a quickness S/P build, as your might gain is restricted to once every 2 seconds which is longer than the full PW cast as it is, and with Haste you have an excess of quickness and not a lot of bulk Fury sources to stack might with. ToTC + TF will provide higher numbers and more consistent damage earlier in the fight which has more synergy with a quickness-based PW build. Yes, the AF might build has a higher maximum, but you're rarely going to stay engaged for long enough to actually build those might stacks, and with so much of the combo riding on long cooldowns for the might gain (60s Burst of Agility, 10s Unrelenting Strikes, 24s Haste) with the single-PW maximum capping at 12 stacks and a lower crit chance versus 3 might + higher crit chance + an additional modifier multiplied by the others, you end up just generally better-off skipping AF.

Using BOA , Haste and the CS line in conjunction I generally can generate 12 steady might stacks out of my build using assassins fury. There plenty of fury sources here and TOTC only allows that fury on a lower Cool down when compared to BOA. At the same time while BOA with Bqobk might seem redundant , it is not as the time of the quickness extended and you want the bonuses of +200 power +200 precision out of BqobK for as long as possible. If you can get quickness running 50+ percent of the time you you will get that 200 power 50 percent of the time and 200 precision 50 percent of the time and have what is essence double fury for the precision add which can push crit rates to 100 percent.

@dDuff.3860 said:Tbh, CS>DA until first improvisation proc.

What i'm trying to say, if you want to get something different from CS and not just kitten urself for no reason by picking CS, you should take heal for crit trait to alter your gameplay.

Practised tolerance is much better than ankle shots, just because S/p has no on demand cripple, means you won't benefit from this trait that often.As for the adept tier, considering you took heal for crit trait, twin fangs are better, since you're not getting a lot of fury procs.

@dDuff.3860 said:Tbh, CS>DA until first improvisation proc.

What i'm trying to say, if you want to get something different from CS and not just kitten urself for no reason by picking CS, you should take heal for crit trait to alter your gameplay.

S/P with Ankle shots traited has two sources of cripple. Ankle shots itself and the last step of the AA chain with sword. Added to that the skill ankle shots has a straight up 5 percent add to all damage which is always on and does not need a cripple on an enemy.

This build is focused on high quickness uptime. This means that on mark when BqoBk kicks in you want to get in as many attacks as is possible and this includes that AA chain. If you rely solely on PW for damage you are compromising damage. You want to be able to get that full AA chain as many times as possible before the before yhe port occurs. In real game terms this generally means you have crippled on the enemy WHEN you are doing that damage more often then not for that full 10 percent damage add (+5 from shis sigiL) and this generally will output more damage then Practiced Tolerance. I find keeping cripple on an enemy using ankle shots and the Sword in conjunction is very reliable (It will not be 100 percent of the time but you do not attack 100 percent of the time).

Ankle Shots will improve your burst damage from pistol whip so mb it will go better with Twin Fangs for opening burst.
And Assassin's Fury with Practiced Tolerance will go better for sustained damage - but as DE you have practically no sustain, basically it only comes from Dagger Storm (which is shit without Improvisation), Shadowstep (but in this DE build, without rifle, you dont have opportuniries to press target from high range, so SS here will mostly be the way to totally retreat till you get SS off cd again), from Withdraw and Roll for Ini (especially needed to prevent insta death from counterattacks during the pistol whip casttime and aftercast), plus special occasions as luck with Improvisation or 2 sec evade on Acro, and classical shit as stealth, high burst damage and dodges (but in this build you have no vigor, uhu)I hope i've shown my mistrust to S/P CS Tr DE's sustainAh, and another comment here: in this build you dont have stable ways of malice spending (1 invis in 17 secs from stolen skill), and, more, you cant convert it in anything usefull (i mean, free damage, cause 1 dodge at max provided from Tactical Strike is a joke), so better at least change Malicious Intent to One in the Chamber's one more invis from your Binding Shadow's stolen skill