Prologue equals episode 1? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Prologue equals episode 1?

So I´m confused, what exactly will we get on september 17th ?
They call it prologue but is that already the first episode ? Or is it just that, a prologue to announce the arrival of the first episode, delaying the arrival of new content even further ?
It´s quite unclear.

"I´m not big on sermons nor words, Broken bones teach better lessons and speak for themselves."

Tagged:
<1

Comments

  • Ayrilana.1396Ayrilana.1396 Member ✭✭✭✭

    It’s the first episode. It’d be like calling episode one of season four the prologue. It’s just the new marketing they’re doing for Season 5 to fit within the whole “saga” thing.

  • Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭

    There's some footage on their twitter too

    What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

  • Tiviana.2650Tiviana.2650 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Its sounds to me like its more of what its called..an intro. In writing a prologue is often times the intro or pre event to the story and written before chapter one. OFC in hot the prologue was rally to maguma and it was the first chapter so idk.

  • Arzurag.7506Arzurag.7506 Member ✭✭✭

    @Randulf.7614 said:
    There's some footage on their twitter too

    I already saw that on reddit, though I thought that "The Icebrood Saga is coming on the 17th!" did sound ambiguous, because it could mean that it starts on sept 17th but the actual content is received in the time between 17th and a later date, which I fear might be true.

    @Tiviana.2650 said:
    Its sounds to me like its more of what its called..an intro. In writing a prologue is often times the intro or pre event to the story and written before chapter one. OFC in hot the prologue was rally to maguma and it was the first chapter so idk.

    But hot´s intro ergo its first chapter was rather short, much shorter than a normal ls episode, so I fear that they will start with just some kind of prologue/intro event, whilst teh actuall episode arrives later, hopefully it´s not going to be like this.

    "I´m not big on sermons nor words, Broken bones teach better lessons and speak for themselves."

  • Arzurag.7506Arzurag.7506 Member ✭✭✭

    @Ayrilana.1396 said:
    Worst case scenario is that they introduce a tiny fraction of the map which is centered around the Charr and what looks like a celebration. The next episode would then expand the map into what we would usually see in a typical LS release.

    And then, it´s still missing the expansion-like content that they said they want to add with the next ls.
    Maybe the charr know how to throw a party^^

    "I´m not big on sermons nor words, Broken bones teach better lessons and speak for themselves."

  • Ryukai.6524Ryukai.6524 Member ✭✭✭

    They are rebranding from TV to Literature,

    TV = Seasons with episodes,
    Literature = Saga's with individual Novels being split into -prologue - chapters - epilogue

    :P

    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

  • UNOwen.7132UNOwen.7132 Member ✭✭✭

    They already said its Episode 0. Episode 1 and 2 are the ones that will come with a new map that will be expanded from episode 1 to episode 2.

  • derd.6413derd.6413 Member ✭✭✭✭

    episode 0.5 from what i've heard this prologue just contains some introductions and a small map to serve as a hub

    I Have No friends, so I Must pug

  • Vayne.8563Vayne.8563 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Arzurag.7506 said:

    @Ayrilana.1396 said:
    Worst case scenario is that they introduce a tiny fraction of the map which is centered around the Charr and what looks like a celebration. The next episode would then expand the map into what we would usually see in a typical LS release.

    And then, it´s still missing the expansion-like content that they said they want to add with the next ls.
    Maybe the charr know how to throw a party^^

    They said the expansion level content would come with the sesason. They didn't say it would come in episode 1 of the Season. It's like mounts were delivered in episodes 4 and 6 of Season 4. We had no idea we were getting them before episode one started.

  • Fueki.4753Fueki.4753 Member ✭✭✭

    I think it's more like an Episode 0.
    MAYBE we get to move to the starting hub of the next map, but that's it at best.
    I doubt we are going to see much more than the trailer they already showed us.
    The "prologue" arguably is just there to split the content drought since Season 5 into two halves.
    I think Episode one will come late Novembre or early to mid Decembre.

  • TheGrimm.5624TheGrimm.5624 Member ✭✭✭✭

    lol, that's part of the problem here that I hope they will correct, why should we be guessing? Follow thru: Pre-presentate, present, inform, detail, deliver. We got stages 1&2, now how about some of the inform part. These aren't game breaking details and they already have it planned, what is a saga, how many episodes, what should we be excited for? I am working under the assumption that saga just means it would be started but not wrapped up under the season, which is fine, that could have been done under any LW season and I think people would be good with that. Living world should be your building blocks to bigger things.

    Envy the Madman his musing when Death comes to make fools of us all.
    De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.
    TheGrimm PoTBS/GW1/WAR/Rift/GW2/MWO/ESO/WoT/WoW/D2/HoTS/Civ6/CU/AoC

  • Fueki.4753Fueki.4753 Member ✭✭✭

    @TheGrimm.5624 said:
    lol, that's part of the problem here that I hope they will correct, why should we be guessing? Follow thru: Pre-presentate, present, inform, detail, deliver. We got stages 1&2, now how about some of the inform part. These aren't game breaking details and they already have it planned, what is a saga, how many episodes, what should we be excited for? I am working under the assumption that saga just means it would be started but not wrapped up under the season, which is fine, that could have been done under any LW season and I think people would be good with that. Living world should be your building blocks to bigger things.

    I'm not so sure they already have it planned.
    For all we know, episode one might still be in the "what could we do for the plot" phase.
    Also, it's high likely that the guy on the stage simply exaggerated the word 'saga' and it simply is part of the Season's name.

  • TheGrimm.5624TheGrimm.5624 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Fueki.4753 said:

    I'm not so sure they already have it planned.
    For all we know, episode one might still be in the "what could we do for the plot" phase.
    Also, it's high likely that the guy on the stage simply exaggerated the word 'saga' and it simply is part of the Season's name.

    lol, don't put me in the role of optimist, I am terrible at that role. But I am assuming that there are a lot steps in the process and that for any project you have to line up the resources in advance so though they might not be done there is a roadmap in place at the least. And since they brought up prologue and saga, someone there made the distinction, so share the why outside of it gives us creative license. You didn't have that before...what was preventing that?

    Envy the Madman his musing when Death comes to make fools of us all.
    De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.
    TheGrimm PoTBS/GW1/WAR/Rift/GW2/MWO/ESO/WoT/WoW/D2/HoTS/Civ6/CU/AoC

  • Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Why don't we just wait and see? Only two more weeks to go. :)

  • @mindcircus.1506 said:

    @Arzurag.7506 said:
    So I´m confused, what exactly will we get on september 17th ?
    They call it prologue but is that already the first episode ? Or is it just that, a prologue to announce the arrival of the first episode, delaying the arrival of new content even further ?
    It´s quite unclear.

    After seeing what was posted on twitter today I think the answer is:
    It's a festival Map.
    Minigames and a story snippet is the best we are getting. The Strike mission is probably not unlike "Secret Lair of the Snowmen" in terms of scope or difficulty.
    In fact I doubt this whole release will have the same amount of content as this year's Dragon Bash.

    I hope I am wrong but I strongly believe I am not, and this will be the first time in a very long time I have felt let down by Arenanet.
    If I then have to wait 3-4 months for Ep1?
    Not good.

    Again, I do hope I am wrong. The strong content delivery starting about halfway through s3 all the way to s4.6 (with the exception of Long Live the Lich) earned a LOT of goodwill from me.
    But the unanswered questions from the reveal on friday and the twitter video today has me really wondering.

    To make you feel better, you know Living Story Season 2? Its prologue was essentially the Festival of Four Winds. When the Festival started 2 weeks prior, there were hints of things to come. Right when the Festival ended...bam, the LS chapters started with the crash of the airships from the festival. Expect something on the lines of that, where this "festival" will be here for a bit...and then get wrecked by the first chapter of the IS.

  • Many books have a prologue followed by you guessed it Chapter 1

  • @derd.6413 said:
    episode 0.5 from what i've heard this prologue just contains some introductions and a small map to serve as a hub

    Thats just pure player speculation.

    Golemancer Tixx - Far Shiverpeaks (EU). Achievement Hunter (+36.5k) ~700 on the AP Leaderboards.

  • mindcircus.1506mindcircus.1506 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 3, 2019

    @RyuDragnier.9476 said:

    @mindcircus.1506 said:

    @Arzurag.7506 said:
    So I´m confused, what exactly will we get on september 17th ?
    They call it prologue but is that already the first episode ? Or is it just that, a prologue to announce the arrival of the first episode, delaying the arrival of new content even further ?
    It´s quite unclear.

    After seeing what was posted on twitter today I think the answer is:
    It's a festival Map.
    Minigames and a story snippet is the best we are getting. The Strike mission is probably not unlike "Secret Lair of the Snowmen" in terms of scope or difficulty.
    In fact I doubt this whole release will have the same amount of content as this year's Dragon Bash.

    I hope I am wrong but I strongly believe I am not, and this will be the first time in a very long time I have felt let down by Arenanet.
    If I then have to wait 3-4 months for Ep1?
    Not good.

    Again, I do hope I am wrong. The strong content delivery starting about halfway through s3 all the way to s4.6 (with the exception of Long Live the Lich) earned a LOT of goodwill from me.
    But the unanswered questions from the reveal on friday and the twitter video today has me really wondering.

    To make you feel better, you know Living Story Season 2? Its prologue was essentially the Festival of Four Winds. When the Festival started 2 weeks prior, there were hints of things to come. Right when the Festival ended...bam, the LS chapters started with the crash of the airships from the festival. Expect something on the lines of that, where this "festival" will be here for a bit...and then get wrecked by the first chapter of the IS.

    Comparing it to s2 does not make me feel better.
    S2 and it's delivery were miles behind S3 (which was, in turn, miles behind what we got in s4)
    I recently replayed through it and it's not good. It's disjointed, very weakly written and relies largely on highly forced, text-based conversation to achieve characterization. Few of the encounters are memorable in terms of fights or mechanics. Many are downright poor by the standards Arenanet has lived up to recently.
    I enjoyed maybe 3 chapters of it.

    I recall not so long ago when I finished LW3.6, then waited what was the average amount of time between releases, got a full expansion and waited a normal amount of time and got a very strong lw4.1.
    Now what is happening is I got a very strong LW4.6, and am getting a festival map as an intro for a rebranded package called a "Saga" that the developers have already said will include less new maps than I was getting before.... and no solid information about when the "real content" (5.1) will be delivered.

    I'm willing to buy in just because the past 2.5 years of this game have been really great and S4.6 in particular really knocked it out of the park.
    But when I saw that preview video today and realized it was a new festival styled map a certain reality set in. Telling me we are going back to the old cadence and style of delivery is not going to make that better at all.

    I was pretty happy with the game for a solid 2.5 years and this new direction is not going to win me over with minigames and a charr rock band.

  • Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

    My interpretation, based on how they talked about it and what was shown in the trailer is that functionally it will be a full episode but the story won't 'really' start until the next episode. This one is going to be about the charr conference/party, so we'll maybe meet some new characters and get some info on what's happening with the charr but there will be little/no mention of Jormag and if the Icebrood are involved it will be towards the end.

    So as people have said like the intro to a book where it sets the scene for a story but doesn't dive right into the main plot.

    Danielle Aurorel - Desolation EU. Mini Collector.

    "In this town, we call home, everyone hail to the pumpkin song! In this town, don't we love it now? Everyone's waiting for the next surprise!"

  • Zaklex.6308Zaklex.6308 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Arzurag.7506 said:
    So I´m confused, what exactly will we get on september 17th ?
    They call it prologue but is that already the first episode ? Or is it just that, a prologue to announce the arrival of the first episode, delaying the arrival of new content even further ?
    It´s quite unclear.

    It's just what they said it is, a prologue: an event or action that leads to another event or situation. It includes new content,Episode 1 will follow at a later date to be announced.

    Yes...no...maybe...what do you want, can't you see I'm busy saving the world...AGAIN!

  • cptaylor.2670cptaylor.2670 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @WhatLiesBeneath.9018 said:

    @derd.6413 said:
    episode 0.5 from what i've heard this prologue just contains some introductions and a small map to serve as a hub

    Thats just pure player speculation.

    From what we’ve seen though it seems pretty likely. Unless we get involved in Charr drama the story hasn’t really started with this episode. And there won’t be much to the map in terms of antagonists. I’m assuming it will be just that, a small festival map. I don’t even think there will be mobs to fight. Just activities.

  • Menadena.7482Menadena.7482 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Arzurag.7506 said:
    So I´m confused, what exactly will we get on september 17th ?
    They call it prologue but is that already the first episode ? Or is it just that, a prologue to announce the arrival of the first episode, delaying the arrival of new content even further ?
    It´s quite unclear.

    They were pretty vague but it sounds more like an episode 0? I am guessing sort of like we got at HOT before we actually got to the zone.

    I just hope that we do not have to wait 3 months after it to actually get an episode 1.

    New to the game? Feel free to give a yell if you need PVE help.

  • Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Some clarity would be welcomed

    What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

  • Trise.2865Trise.2865 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Here's exactly what you're going to get: "Chapter Unlock: The Icebrood Saga"

    If we want ANet to step up their game, then we must step up ours.

  • @cptaylor.2670 said:

    @WhatLiesBeneath.9018 said:

    @derd.6413 said:
    episode 0.5 from what i've heard this prologue just contains some introductions and a small map to serve as a hub

    Thats just pure player speculation.

    From what we’ve seen though it seems pretty likely. Unless we get involved in Charr drama the story hasn’t really started with this episode. And there won’t be much to the map in terms of antagonists. I’m assuming it will be just that, a small festival map. I don’t even think there will be mobs to fight. Just activities.

    Well instead of just grabbing things out of thin air, lets wait for the 17th 😊

    Golemancer Tixx - Far Shiverpeaks (EU). Achievement Hunter (+36.5k) ~700 on the AP Leaderboards.

  • mindcircus.1506mindcircus.1506 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Vayne.8563 said:

    @Arzurag.7506 said:

    @Ayrilana.1396 said:
    Worst case scenario is that they introduce a tiny fraction of the map which is centered around the Charr and what looks like a celebration. The next episode would then expand the map into what we would usually see in a typical LS release.

    And then, it´s still missing the expansion-like content that they said they want to add with the next ls.
    Maybe the charr know how to throw a party^^

    They said the expansion level content would come with the sesason. They didn't say it would come in episode 1 of the Season. It's like mounts were delivered in episodes 4 and 6 of Season 4. We had no idea we were getting them before episode one started.

    They also said "expansion level content" was comming with LS4.4 in the form of Sun's Refuge.
    The jury is still out on if that actually qualifies or not.

    To me "expansion level content" is things like brand new assets, new systems and elite specs. A glider is expansion level content.
    Do you think s5 will give us something as game changing as the glider? Or do you think it more likely we get something like Oakheart Essences labelled as "Expansion Level content" when Mike Z does a hype piece for an MMO news site?

    While I appreciate the passion behind your post, I think it's a good idea not to try and sell people on this vague language we are being given lately and approach the future of this game more pragmatically.
    If we don't... well Friday taught us what happens.

  • Mortifera.6138Mortifera.6138 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 4, 2019

    They clearly said it was a break after Kralkatorrik. How are things in Tyria with him gone? That kind of stuff.

  • Liston.9708Liston.9708 Member ✭✭✭

    Looks like festival type content to me.

  • Xstein.2187Xstein.2187 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 4, 2019

    In the end, episode numbers are relative. All that matters is the length, number of episodes relative to other living stories, and time span between episodes, especially if the episodes continue into either an expansion or another living story.

    Prologue = episode 1 (it is shorter, not sure about map)
    episode 1 = episode 2
    episode 2 = episode 3
    etc.

    For example, I would rather have 1 prologue followed by 1 episode, directly followed by an expansion each spaced 3 months apart then to have 50 episodes each spaced 5 months apart.

    Names are almost meaningless. It is just a way to organize and group content.

  • Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 4, 2019

    @mindcircus.1506 said:

    @Vayne.8563 said:

    To me "expansion level content" is things like brand new assets, new systems and elite specs. A glider is expansion level content.
    Do you think s5 will give us something as game changing as the glider? Or do you think it more likely we get something like Oakheart Essences labelled as "Expansion Level content" when Mike Z does a hype piece for an MMO news site?

    I really don't need new game mechanics added, I believe we already have enough of those. What was said during Friday's presentation is that old things that were underused in the past (like the travel mechanics you mentioned) will be put to more use in the future, which is great. I believe the focus in terms of game mechanics should be just that, putting those we already have to use, and also adding more technical updates to the game like QoL updates people have been asking for (build templates, UI customization, only to name two). Bombarding the game with new stuff on each story release that will never have use again afterwards (you gave a good example of that, too: Sun's Refuge) is just a waste of resources, and a waste of players' time. We need more sustainability and consistency in this game; trying to move in a thousand different directions at once never ends well, you end up losing track of things and get lost in the process.

  • cptaylor.2670cptaylor.2670 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @WhatLiesBeneath.9018 said:

    @cptaylor.2670 said:

    @WhatLiesBeneath.9018 said:

    @derd.6413 said:
    episode 0.5 from what i've heard this prologue just contains some introductions and a small map to serve as a hub

    Thats just pure player speculation.

    From what we’ve seen though it seems pretty likely. Unless we get involved in Charr drama the story hasn’t really started with this episode. And there won’t be much to the map in terms of antagonists. I’m assuming it will be just that, a small festival map. I don’t even think there will be mobs to fight. Just activities.

    Well instead of just grabbing things out of thin air, lets wait for the 17th 😊

    They could theoretically have the last part of this release be somekind of catalyst that involves some repeatable pve content, like a meta and actual mobs, but I'm pretty sure they stated the world bosses and possibly even strike missions won't start until Episode 1.

    So without those, and the story being celebration-focused, and the teaser showing mini-games and activities, I find it hard to believe it will be anything other than a smaller map consisting of those what they've previewed. It's probably best to temper expectations and be pleasantly surprised. They haven't given us much to grasp at in general, but just going based off what they HAVE shown us, I would say that a hub-like festival area is far more likely.

    I would also not be surprised if that was intentional, to have a Charr-focused festival that they can automate yearly moving forward. The more automated festival content the closer the game is to being self-sustaining, which seems to have taken a huge focus in the past couple of years. Sure, it looks like they're invigorating the game with festival content, but is it really because they're passionate about festivals or because it's just another way to have spaced out "content" while slimming down on some of the more packed releases?

    But you're right, we'll see. I'm just going based off what they have shown us, which isn't much beyond Charr metal bands and activities. Which is cool, but will it be enough to sate people until the actual season starts. Sorry, saga. Not that anything ever really is in an mmo, but still.

    It's also the word choice though, "Prologue." They're obviously not naming it a prologue to prevent story spoilers as they've already told us at least what the initial story is going to involve as well as the next two episode's maps and some world bosses, and not counting it as part of the season but a "prologue" to the season for what would normally be a full-sized episode seems rather strange. It feels implied that it's going to be a smaller addition and more akin to what we would have in a Festival of the Four Winds-type patch. It's also just enough to bridge the gap before Halloween, and then, either they add some other festival, MAYBE episode 1, or just drift until Wintersday and then release episode 1 the beginning of next year. It sounds like some of the upcoming episodes are still in a bit of a concept phase and they haven't really said much about the release cadence with whatever this new iteration of living story is, which means they probably don't have one or know, which is probably a good indication that the current 4-5 month release schedule is going to be the best we can hope for at least in the next year.

  • Linken.6345Linken.6345 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @cptaylor.2670 said:

    @WhatLiesBeneath.9018 said:

    @cptaylor.2670 said:

    @WhatLiesBeneath.9018 said:

    @derd.6413 said:
    episode 0.5 from what i've heard this prologue just contains some introductions and a small map to serve as a hub

    Thats just pure player speculation.

    From what we’ve seen though it seems pretty likely. Unless we get involved in Charr drama the story hasn’t really started with this episode. And there won’t be much to the map in terms of antagonists. I’m assuming it will be just that, a small festival map. I don’t even think there will be mobs to fight. Just activities.

    Well instead of just grabbing things out of thin air, lets wait for the 17th 😊

    They could theoretically have the last part of this release be somekind of catalyst that involves some repeatable pve content, like a meta and actual mobs, but I'm pretty sure they stated the world bosses and possibly even strike missions won't start until Episode 1.

    So without those, and the story being celebration-focused, and the teaser showing mini-games and activities, I find it hard to believe it will be anything other than a smaller map consisting of those what they've previewed. It's probably best to temper expectations and be pleasantly surprised. They haven't given us much to grasp at in general, but just going based off what they HAVE shown us, I would say that a hub-like festival area is far more likely.

    I would also not be surprised if that was intentional, to have a Charr-focused festival that they can automate yearly moving forward. The more automated festival content the closer the game is to being self-sustaining, which seems to have taken a huge focus in the past couple of years. Sure, it looks like they're invigorating the game with festival content, but is it really because they're passionate about festivals or because it's just another way to have spaced out "content" while slimming down on some of the more packed releases?

    But you're right, we'll see. I'm just going based off what they have shown us, which isn't much beyond Charr metal bands and activities. Which is cool, but will it be enough to sate people until the actual season starts. Sorry, saga. Not that anything ever really is in an mmo, but still.

    It's also the word choice though, "Prologue." They're obviously not naming it a prologue to prevent story spoilers as they've already told us at least what the initial story is going to involve as well as the next two episode's maps and some world bosses, and not counting it as part of the season but a "prologue" to the season for what would normally be a full-sized episode seems rather strange. It feels implied that it's going to be a smaller addition and more akin to what we would have in a Festival of the Four Winds-type patch. It's also just enough to bridge the gap before Halloween, and then, either they add some other festival, MAYBE episode 1, or just drift until Wintersday and then release episode 1 the beginning of next year. It sounds like some of the upcoming episodes are still in a bit of a concept phase and they haven't really said much about the release cadence with whatever this new iteration of living story is, which means they probably don't have one or know, which is probably a good indication that the current 4-5 month release schedule is going to be the best we can hope for at least in the next year.

    So you totaly missed that its called https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Bound_by_Blood ?

  • Vayne.8563Vayne.8563 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @mindcircus.1506 said:

    @Vayne.8563 said:

    @Arzurag.7506 said:

    @Ayrilana.1396 said:
    Worst case scenario is that they introduce a tiny fraction of the map which is centered around the Charr and what looks like a celebration. The next episode would then expand the map into what we would usually see in a typical LS release.

    And then, it´s still missing the expansion-like content that they said they want to add with the next ls.
    Maybe the charr know how to throw a party^^

    They said the expansion level content would come with the sesason. They didn't say it would come in episode 1 of the Season. It's like mounts were delivered in episodes 4 and 6 of Season 4. We had no idea we were getting them before episode one started.

    They also said "expansion level content" was comming with LS4.4 in the form of Sun's Refuge.
    The jury is still out on if that actually qualifies or not.

    To me "expansion level content" is things like brand new assets, new systems and elite specs. A glider is expansion level content.
    Do you think s5 will give us something as game changing as the glider? Or do you think it more likely we get something like Oakheart Essences labelled as "Expansion Level content" when Mike Z does a hype piece for an MMO news site?

    While I appreciate the passion behind your post, I think it's a good idea not to try and sell people on this vague language we are being given lately and approach the future of this game more pragmatically.
    If we don't... well Friday taught us what happens.

    Well, we at least know there's a new type of ten man content, which I would consider expansion content. We almost never see anything like that introduced.

  • during earlier living world seasons we had some stuff added to the game to set the stage. This can also be done by a prologue. It is a story telling mechanic used to set the stage (instead of just dropping Jormag on us). We did some bridging the stories (closing the Kralkatoriks saga with dragon bash v2 and the 4 winds festival) and it had some hints to what the future has in stor,e but it is small. They need to set the stage. This means nothing to the amount of content. So it remains to be seen how big it will be.

  • ProtoGunner.4953ProtoGunner.4953 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Probably more festivities à la Dragon Bash and Queens Gauntlet etc. with lots of achievements to bloat content. But it's okay, I can live with that and we are used to it :joy:

  • mindcircus.1506mindcircus.1506 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Vayne.8563 said:

    @mindcircus.1506 said:

    @Vayne.8563 said:

    @Arzurag.7506 said:

    @Ayrilana.1396 said:
    Worst case scenario is that they introduce a tiny fraction of the map which is centered around the Charr and what looks like a celebration. The next episode would then expand the map into what we would usually see in a typical LS release.

    And then, it´s still missing the expansion-like content that they said they want to add with the next ls.
    Maybe the charr know how to throw a party^^

    They said the expansion level content would come with the sesason. They didn't say it would come in episode 1 of the Season. It's like mounts were delivered in episodes 4 and 6 of Season 4. We had no idea we were getting them before episode one started.

    They also said "expansion level content" was comming with LS4.4 in the form of Sun's Refuge.
    The jury is still out on if that actually qualifies or not.

    To me "expansion level content" is things like brand new assets, new systems and elite specs. A glider is expansion level content.
    Do you think s5 will give us something as game changing as the glider? Or do you think it more likely we get something like Oakheart Essences labelled as "Expansion Level content" when Mike Z does a hype piece for an MMO news site?

    While I appreciate the passion behind your post, I think it's a good idea not to try and sell people on this vague language we are being given lately and approach the future of this game more pragmatically.
    If we don't... well Friday taught us what happens.

    Well, we at least know there's a new type of ten man content, which I would consider expansion content. We almost never see anything like that introduced.

    Did you consider it "expansion level content" when it was first introduced last Wintersday as "Secret Lair of the Snowmen"?

  • Of course. You can name a thing "A" or "B", but the thing will still be the same.

  • I consider Mounts 'expansion-level' content, and we got some of those in Living World Episodes.
    I don't know, anything new could be in an expansion; we get new things, sometimes, in Living World Episodes.

    Who gets to decide what is, or is not, 'expansion-level' content?

  • Vayne.8563Vayne.8563 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @mindcircus.1506 said:

    @Vayne.8563 said:

    @mindcircus.1506 said:

    @Vayne.8563 said:

    @Arzurag.7506 said:

    @Ayrilana.1396 said:
    Worst case scenario is that they introduce a tiny fraction of the map which is centered around the Charr and what looks like a celebration. The next episode would then expand the map into what we would usually see in a typical LS release.

    And then, it´s still missing the expansion-like content that they said they want to add with the next ls.
    Maybe the charr know how to throw a party^^

    They said the expansion level content would come with the sesason. They didn't say it would come in episode 1 of the Season. It's like mounts were delivered in episodes 4 and 6 of Season 4. We had no idea we were getting them before episode one started.

    They also said "expansion level content" was comming with LS4.4 in the form of Sun's Refuge.
    The jury is still out on if that actually qualifies or not.

    To me "expansion level content" is things like brand new assets, new systems and elite specs. A glider is expansion level content.
    Do you think s5 will give us something as game changing as the glider? Or do you think it more likely we get something like Oakheart Essences labelled as "Expansion Level content" when Mike Z does a hype piece for an MMO news site?

    While I appreciate the passion behind your post, I think it's a good idea not to try and sell people on this vague language we are being given lately and approach the future of this game more pragmatically.
    If we don't... well Friday taught us what happens.

    Well, we at least know there's a new type of ten man content, which I would consider expansion content. We almost never see anything like that introduced.

    Did you consider it "expansion level content" when it was first introduced last Wintersday as "Secret Lair of the Snowmen"?

    Well, I don't know. It was like a mini raid. I suppose if that instance had been left in the game, it would be open to interpretation. Really the only thing I think of as expansion level content that doesn't come with the living world is elite specs. Everything else I don't. We get masteries with the living world. We've gotten some mounts now. We even got a downed skill would I wouldn't have thought was living world content.

  • Pifil.5193Pifil.5193 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:
    I consider Mounts 'expansion-level' content, and we got some of those in Living World Episodes.
    I don't know, anything new could be in an expansion; we get new things, sometimes, in Living World Episodes.

    Who gets to decide what is, or is not, 'expansion-level' content?

    Yeah, PoF gave us new elite specs, new masteries, new mounts, maps, new story, new sets of armour and weapon skins, new adventures, races, new attribute combinations.
    Apart from elite specs LS4 gave us all of that too.

    I think they have been giving us "expansion-level" content already just spread out over a season. Less than in the expansion perhaps but still "expansion-level" content.

    The problem comes from the fact that "expansion-level" content isn't a well defined term. It's vague and therefore open to interpretation so "expansion-level" has kinda become synonymous with "more".

  • Eloc Freidon.5692Eloc Freidon.5692 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Here's the thing. They aren't calling it a season so no numbered episodes. They have stated that they wanted to develop content where they don't have to release a new map every "episode" and that they can update current maps and still release Living World like content. So calling them episodes might not work for the episodic formula.

  • Actually, they are numbering Episodes; the Devs talked about what would be coming in Episode 1 and Episode 2 (of The Icebrood Saga).
    What they changed the name of was Seasons (to Saga).

  • Fueki.4753Fueki.4753 Member ✭✭✭

    @Eloc Freidon.5692 said:
    They have stated that they wanted to develop content where they don't have to release a new map every "episode"

    That already happened in Season 2, so it's nothing new.
    Technically, Season 1 also had it, with Core maps being changed/forever destroyed.

  • Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 4, 2019

    https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/september-04-2019/

    Looks like a full episode, with meta events.

    There's some interesting info on one of the pages ending with

    "The Elder Dragons aren't what we thought they were"

    What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

  • Bloodstealer.5978Bloodstealer.5978 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Vayne.8563 said:

    @Arzurag.7506 said:

    @Ayrilana.1396 said:
    Worst case scenario is that they introduce a tiny fraction of the map which is centered around the Charr and what looks like a celebration. The next episode would then expand the map into what we would usually see in a typical LS release.

    And then, it´s still missing the expansion-like content that they said they want to add with the next ls.
    Maybe the charr know how to throw a party^^

    They said the expansion level content would come with the sesason. They didn't say it would come in episode 1 of the Season. It's like mounts were delivered in episodes 4 and 6 of Season 4. We had no idea we were getting them before episode one started.

    SAGA... try to keep up Vayne!! :)

    Life is what YOU make it... NOT what others tell you!

  • Bloodstealer.5978Bloodstealer.5978 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:
    I consider Mounts 'expansion-level' content, and we got some of those in Living World Episodes.
    I don't know, anything new could be in an expansion; we get new things, sometimes, in Living World Episodes.

    Who gets to decide what is, or is not, 'expansion-level' content?

    At a stretch I am guessing the Strike Missions are what they think will pass for expac type content... trouble is there is so little to go on we simply have no idea., which is why I fear they might end up being nothing more than an instanced twist on World Bosses and Bounties.

    Life is what YOU make it... NOT what others tell you!

  • perilisk.1874perilisk.1874 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Bloodstealer.5978 said:

    @Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:
    I consider Mounts 'expansion-level' content, and we got some of those in Living World Episodes.
    I don't know, anything new could be in an expansion; we get new things, sometimes, in Living World Episodes.

    Who gets to decide what is, or is not, 'expansion-level' content?

    At a stretch I am guessing the Strike Missions are what they think will pass for expac type content... trouble is there is so little to go on we simply have no idea., which is why I fear they might end up being nothing more than an instanced twist on World Bosses and Bounties.

    Judging by the new magazine, strike missions are basically just 10-person challenge modes for LS bosses?

    Ex-pac content:
    1. New content types (adventures, bounties) - Strike missions would probably count?
    2. New systems (mastery system, guild halls, mounts) - Remains to be seen. There have been smaller scale additions, like Ascended cooking, legendary sigils, and the upcoming build templates. It remains to be seen if something as major as masteries or mounts could be added through LS. Maybe they can repurpose combos for something groundbreaking.
    3. New specs/skills - remains to be seen
    4. New maps - of course we always get this. Some people might feel that expacs have better quality, but I think LS4 was on a similar level as PoF, on average (though some maps were subpar). But there's no real reason that maps can't be expac quality.
    5. New story. Here, there is an unavoidable issue -- episodic content (LS) requires a certain type of story pacing. Expac can afford a more cinematic story progress and can afford to trade quantity for quality. Perhaps if LS introduced the necessary maps and systems, it would be possible to end the season with a final episode focused solely on story missions of that level of quality?

  • Bloodstealer.5978Bloodstealer.5978 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 4, 2019

    @perilisk.1874 said:

    @Bloodstealer.5978 said:

    @Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:
    I consider Mounts 'expansion-level' content, and we got some of those in Living World Episodes.
    I don't know, anything new could be in an expansion; we get new things, sometimes, in Living World Episodes.

    Who gets to decide what is, or is not, 'expansion-level' content?

    At a stretch I am guessing the Strike Missions are what they think will pass for expac type content... trouble is there is so little to go on we simply have no idea., which is why I fear they might end up being nothing more than an instanced twist on World Bosses and Bounties.

    Judging by the new magazine, strike missions are basically just 10-person challenge modes for LS bosses?

    Ex-pac content:
    1. New content types (adventures, bounties) - Strike missions would probably count?
    2. New systems (mastery system, guild halls, mounts) - Remains to be seen. There have been smaller scale additions, like Ascended cooking, legendary sigils, and the upcoming build templates. It remains to be seen if something as major as masteries or mounts could be added through LS. Maybe they can repurpose combos for something groundbreaking.
    3. New specs/skills - remains to be seen
    4. New maps - of course we always get this. Some people might feel that expacs have better quality, but I think LS4 was on a similar level as PoF, on average (though some maps were subpar). But there's no real reason that maps can't be expac quality.
    5. New story. Here, there is an unavoidable issue -- episodic content (LS) requires a certain type of story pacing. Expac can afford a more cinematic story progress and can afford to trade quantity for quality. Perhaps if LS introduced the necessary maps and systems, it would be possible to end the season with a final episode focused solely on story missions of that level of quality?

    Exactly.. anything is possible, some likely will materialise for sure.. but it's all just so vague, which makes even talking around the LS somewhat unremarkable currently.. other than -
    We have a new LS coming - great I actually enjoy LS, moreso when it is actually feels relevant.
    We got a LW rebranding (ok cool and..)
    We learned where we're going and Charr and Norn are going to be flavour of the week (tick.. already guessed a month ago by many of us),
    It will be exploring lore aspects of several races (ok that is fine and dandy, for a some maybe, but how long will that keep us all suitably engrossed?)
    New map.. or will it be maps or just a map broken up into parts as each piece of the Saga is relaeased… who knows for sure?
    Build Templates... still coming (we knew this already)
    Strike Missions - cool, what are they, what do they entail, how do they fit with the Saga, what kind of mechanics are they offering up … hmmm no detail to be able to judge them on yet, so soon
    We get to fight another dragon (tick, had to be didn't it :))

    Other news -
    WvW… talk about that some more in the coming months.. cough
    PvP.. ooh mini seasons in between seasons coming and a not so great looking armour (big reveal alert!)
    The merchandising opens... now go get them hoodies, fluufy toys and some errm sketchy looking legging and top.
    HoT is free to PoF owners and some vet freebies for those who already have HoT - ok, could help stimulate an uptick in new/returning players.. hopefully
    ANET will be 20yrs old next year - ok that is worthy news and commendable for sure, when it arrives.

    So to round up, were getting some LS updates via the new SAGA commencing on 17th with a prologue that includes something or nothing, followed sometime after by some more LS which might include this and that, but we don't know what, how, when or .. well, anything much really.

    It could and should all sound great, can all sound intriguing but it kinda all sounds a bit.. empty and soulless at the moment especially when we speak of expansion type content.. so the big reveal, the in ya face live event didn't really live up to the hype both parties helped to generate imo.

    Life is what YOU make it... NOT what others tell you!

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.