Solo condi build

Aigleborgne.2981

I'm trying to make a condi build for open-world, solo group events and champions.

In my experience, one or two mistakes is usually fatal as once you are downed, it's over. Downed Lava font helps a bit, but not enough against strong veterans and champions.

Here is my work-in-progress:http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PGgAg2lZwuYjMN2JOqOnpeA-zRJYtRDfZkQBkZC4wsAxzG-e

I do not have Elites unlocked yet, so this can't be an option for now.

Weapon is really depending on situation:

• Dagger/focus as my default set, good all-around
  • Dagger/dagger when I can go full offensive
  • Staff when I need all the control or just staying at ranged. (I'm aware it is low on condi)
  • No scepter because I don't like it enough

I chose Settler because I think toughness is great when solo and it has a strong synergy with healing power. Condi is a minor attribute, but it is backup with 100% burning duration.

I usually have a conjure in utility slot. Earth shield is a great defensive weapon. Barrier synergies well with my current Healing Power, and I can play with Fire, Earth, and Water attunment to provide DPS or sustain. And of course, Signet of Fire remains my main DPS skill.

Signet of Earth could be replaced by something else. It is there because it synergies with Strength of Stone and Written in Stone. Maybe Arcane Armor would be a better choice, or Armor of Earth with Earth's Embrace and Soothing Disruption.

There are a few traits I'm not so sure about, or some that could change for some challenge:

• Burning Precision: great for 20% burning duration, but my critical hit are very low, only mediocre with fury (provided by Persisting Flames). Conjurer is a strong alternative. Its aura will trigger Elemental Shielding, and CD reduction helps with FGS (more evades) and Earth Shield block, Magnetic Aura (also triggering Elemental Shielding), and invulnerability (usable twice per conjure life). Tough choice!

• Smothering Auras can be used when I need more cleanses, although the new Burning Rage is really great !

• Persisting Flames because fury helps with Burning Precision and longer fire fields for more burning (and time to cast blast finishers). Pyromancer's Puissance is however really interesting and Binding Ashes might be an occasionnal choice when needed more blinds.

• Written in Stone mostly for Signet of Fire, although I might consider Stone Heart for some heavy situations.

• Soothing Ice has good synergy with Elemental Shielding and high Healing Power.

• Flow like Water fits my tank build and Earth Shield provides regular block and I can bring Arcane Armor for more. Soothing Disruption can be an alternative if I do some changes but not sure it worths it.

• Soothing Power seems the best here.

I chose Water to be able to recover quickly from a burst (loosing 50%+ health in a few seconds), something a lot more difficult to do without. But I miss Arcane and precisely Evasive Arcana (dodge in fire).

Sigil of Energy because it is always nice to have more dodges. But some are good alternatives:

• Bursting
  • Geomancy
  • Battle
  • CorruptionI thought it is always better to have more dodges than a bit more damage (which doesn't help enough when facing a champion).

With this amount of defense you should in no situation have to swap your weapons. D/f brings you best condi damage, cc and extra defense so there's no point of using anything else. Offhand dagger is pretty bad with no power and its only use should be air 4 for mobility outside of combat (or might stacking with earth skills).

That being said, your sustain and defense are already very high due to toughness, healing power, water spec (it's even unnecessary for core game content) and protection on aura so earth shield and earth signet are complete waste of utility slots. Glyph of elemental power in fire will give you the most dps value and glyph of storms is another good choice for aoe dps/blind. If you really need extra defense/stun break, arcane shield is the best choice here. Elite glyph can also be a good dps/heal option.

The rest of the builds seems fine, but too focused on defense IMO.

You might be better off with tempest, swapping earth or water for it. The fire overload creates a lot of burns (and might stacks if taking fire GM trait). Warhorn has a fire-field for burn, but I think focus would be better for the fire aura, including detonation of the aura.

I agree with steki - its too centered on defense. Also, with such low power, only your fire attun is really useful, which to me negates much of the value of ele.

I'd get basic gliding and your raptor mount, and then look for HP trains for HoT & PoF. They usually run pretty regularly on weekends at least. In a couple of hours you'd have all the HPs you need to spec Tempest & Weaver.

This is the Tempest build I'm running now for open world & group events. It's hybrid, so it makes the other attuns more worthwhile, and can even throw out some decent healing. I call it a "mud Tempest" because its earth/water, with the intent of using auras for Protection and sharing those auras with others. As such, I add vitality instead of toughness. Using fire instead of earth would provide more damage, but I'm willing to take the reduction in exchange for access to Protection and Diamond Skin. Eye of the Storm is situational. It's not meta, by any means, but its been solid for me. It's also inexpensive to gear.http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PGgAsilJwYYXMKWJeuSptaA-zRZYLJknrCFohVkQgFCacCFQpJgNDA-e

Thanks for responses :)

@steki.1478 said:With this amount of defense you should in no situation have to swap your weapons. D/f brings you best condi damage, cc and extra defense so there's no point of using anything else. Offhand dagger is pretty bad with no power and its only use should be air 4 for mobility outside of combat (or might stacking with earth skills).

Good point, it was all about earth skills: I like Earthquake and Churning Earth. But Focus brings so much defense it is certainly better.

That being said, your sustain and defense are already very high due to toughness, healing power, water spec (it's even unnecessary for core game content) and protection on aura so earth shield and earth signet are complete waste of utility slots. Glyph of elemental power in fire will give you the most dps value and glyph of storms is another good choice for aoe dps/blind. If you really need extra defense/stun break, arcane shield is the best choice here. Elite glyph can also be a good dps/heal option.

I don't see the point to have Healing Power without Water as it seems a waste of attribute points ? And those are usefull to quickly recover health when I miss a dodge or evade, not to mention condi that will go through armor (ok the later is quite uncommon but it does happen).I have considered GoEP but 25% damage will do nothing to condi build, so it's just 5 burns every 25s, it didn't seem that great but I could try it :)Glyph of Storm is great for blinds, but it does no damage without Power/Precision.Elite Glyph is nice, but I like FGS more, skill 2 will do very high burning and its evade along with good movement is good when fighting champions.Earth Shield still packs a punch when you solo group event or champions, it might be overkill but I have solo some champs with it almost effortless. Along with Conjurer trait, you should not underestimate its value. Now, it's true I have used it with a lot more offensive build, things might be different with this one.

The rest of the builds seems fine, but too focused on defense IMO.It surely is, I will plan other hybrid builds with Viper next. But for this ele, its theme is burning knight.

@juno.1840 said:You might be better off with tempest, swapping earth or water for it. The fire overload creates a lot of burns (and might stacks if taking fire GM trait). Warhorn has a fire-field for burn, but I think focus would be better for the fire aura, including detonation of the aura.

This is planned when I have unlock Tempest. I might also try Weaver (for sword)

@"TheAgedGnome.7520" said:I agree with steki - its too centered on defense. Also, with such low power, only your fire attun is really useful, which to me negates much of the value of ele.

I disagree, Water is excellent with Healing Power and Earth is mostly about defense anyway. So, it's only air auto that are less usefull.

I'd get basic gliding and your raptor mount, and then look for HP trains for HoT & PoF. They usually run pretty regularly on weekends at least. In a couple of hours you'd have all the HPs you need to spec Tempest & Weaver.

I won't do that, I'm oldschool, I want to unlock them with my fully prepared ele (with this build), and definitly not with a train. It will take time but I'm not in a hurry.

This is the Tempest build I'm running now for open world & group events. It's hybrid, so it makes the other attuns more worthwhile, and can even throw out some decent healing. I call it a "mud Tempest" because its earth/water, with the intent of using auras for Protection and sharing those auras with others. As such, I add vitality instead of toughness. Using fire instead of earth would provide more damage, but I'm willing to take the reduction in exchange for access to Protection and Diamond Skin. Eye of the Storm is situational. It's not meta, by any means, but its been solid for me. It's also inexpensive to gear.http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PGgAsilJwYYXMKWJeuSptaA-zRZYLJknrCFohVkQgFCacCFQpJgNDA-e

I will look into your build :)

@Aigleborgne.2981 said:Thanks for responses :)

I don't see the point to have Healing Power without Water as it seems a waste of attribute points ? And those are usefull to quickly recover health when I miss a dodge or evade, not to mention condi that will go through armor (ok the later is quite uncommon but it does happen).

To be frank, you dont need more than 500 healing power anywhere. Passive healing from signet, arcane traits, water skills then extra protection in arcane, evasive arcana and focus are already a huge parts of your sustain. A lot of stats are wasted and you're overhealing yourself instead of avoiding obvious animations.

I have considered GoEP but 25% damage will do nothing to condi build, so it's just 5 burns every 25s, it didn't seem that great but I could try it :)

Those 5 burns do 12k damage with this build and you only have about 3 skills with decent damage output.

Glyph of Storm is great for blinds, but it does no damage without Power/Precision.

Fire one does about 15k damage with this build and it's on a fairly low cooldown.

@"TheAgedGnome.7520" said:I agree with steki - its too centered on defense. Also, with such low power, only your fire attun is really useful, which to me negates much of the value of ele.

There's nothing hybrid about this build really. Your damage is lacking severely (bad stat and trait management) and your boon duration is non existent. Healing output is good (on yourself), but you're not even using WtPA with traited shouts. It's trying to do many things at once, but doesnt look very successful at any. Dagger doesnt have good condi damage nor good support, wh is far superior than dagger in this type of build - more damage, more boons, more heals, more cc.

Your damage comes from untraited fire skills, signet and churning earth (which has a huge cd) and your support is almost entirely based on overloads which happen once in 10 seconds (everything else are small regens from water and auras).

Earth is a waste on scepter - you have range to kite, you have no source of strong bleeding damage (especially with no condi duration) and there's plenty of other choices for cleansing that are better than diamond skin (not to mention that you dont even need cleanses most of the time). Your whole build is focused on burn duration, but fire is just a situational spec in your build; wasting a spec that has almost no use (earth) for 30-50% dps loss is definitely not worth it.

For a mud focused tempest, you're wasting a lot of stats on power and precision without having ferocity + power focused traits and you're lacking crucial support skills and stats (warhorn, shouts, boon duration) to make your hybrid actually be a hybrid.

@steki.1478 said:

This is the Tempest build I'm running now for open world & group events. It's hybrid, so it makes the other attuns more worthwhile, and can even throw out some decent healing. I call it a "mud Tempest" because its earth/water, with the intent of using auras for Protection and sharing those auras with others. As such, I add vitality instead of toughness. Using fire instead of earth would provide more damage, but I'm willing to take the reduction in exchange for access to Protection and Diamond Skin. Eye of the Storm is situational. It's not meta, by any means, but its been solid for me. It's also inexpensive to gear.

There's nothing hybrid about this build really. Your damage is lacking severely (bad stat and trait management) and your boon duration is non existent. Healing output is good (on yourself), but you're not even using WtPA with traited shouts. It's trying to do many things at once, but doesnt look very successful at any. Dagger doesnt have good condi damage nor good support, wh is far superior than dagger in this type of build - more damage, more boons, more heals, more cc.

Your damage comes from untraited fire skills, signet and churning earth (which has a huge cd) and your support is almost entirely based on overloads which happen once in 10 seconds (everything else are small regens from water and auras).

Earth is a waste on scepter - you have range to kite, you have no source of strong bleeding damage (especially with no condi duration) and there's plenty of other choices for cleansing that are better than diamond skin (not to mention that you dont even need cleanses most of the time). Your whole build is focused on burn duration, but fire is just a situational spec in your build; wasting a spec that has almost no use (earth) for 30-50% dps loss is definitely not worth it.

For a mud focused tempest, you're wasting a lot of stats on power and precision without having ferocity + power focused traits and you're lacking crucial support skills and stats (warhorn, shouts, boon duration) to make your hybrid actually be a hybrid.

It works well for me, and dmg is split power/condi, hence hybrid.

I could run pure Viper or Grieving, but that wasn't my goal. Please provide your example of a hybrid.

@TheAgedGnome.7520 said:

@TheAgedGnome.7520 said:I agree with steki - its too centered on defense. Also, with such low power, only your fire attun is really useful, which to me negates much of the value of ele.

This is the Tempest build I'm running now for open world & group events. It's hybrid, so it makes the other attuns more worthwhile, and can even throw out some decent healing. I call it a "mud Tempest" because its earth/water, with the intent of using auras for Protection and sharing those auras with others. As such, I add vitality instead of toughness. Using fire instead of earth would provide more damage, but I'm willing to take the reduction in exchange for access to Protection and Diamond Skin. Eye of the Storm is situational. It's not meta, by any means, but its been solid for me. It's also inexpensive to gear.

It works well for me, and dmg is split power/condi, hence hybrid.

I could run
, but that wasn't my goal. Please provide your example of a hybrid.

I don't see how your build does power damage when it cant even crit above 5k.

A hybrid build would be something offensive with power+condi like grieving fire/air/weaver, support power like crusader/marauder/zealot air/water/tempest or support condi like shaman/seraph/plaguedoctor fire(earth)/water/tempest.

Your build is essentially a poor man's celestial that's trying to do everything but doesn't really do anything impactful because it doesn't have synergy between gear, traits and weapons. It's just all over the place, which prove yet again that open world can be done with any build.

You are on the right track with settlers, turn it into leftpaw when u are ready to upgrade the armor, I Tempest Tank only, that is gw2 for me, i have run all ele options, tank is what i prefer, also solo tough content , when not in a dung, fractal, with guild. Stick with your signets for now, if u enjoy them, especially keep the earth, i run staff, because u can facetank the champ and the group with it, also attack from distance, (fire#4, then#5 for exp). Best heals from staff as well. u got the other weapons down style wise, but the focus, has not much heals going for it, dagger/warhorn(when u get tempest) i find fun, still not enough heals as the staff, again u want to solo champs right? need the heals. i cannot run the champ mile the same with dag / warhorn , vs staff, u start to see what u are missing in the heals dept even if the armor is the same.

For core atm, water, earth is a must, run air or fire for damage, then DROP THE OFFENSE for earth, water, tempest. 3300+armor, 1k-1,300k for condi damage, at least 700+ heals, i run 800-900+ depending nowadays, open world is easy, till u decide to challenge a champ, then its a bit different fight. Like u stated earlier, 1 or 2 hits, dps toons are finished. Tempest alsp gives u shouts so ditch the signets for the shouts, providing auras/boons that will make u CLOSE TO UNSTOPPABLE!!!! i will share my set up, traits=water 1-3-3, earth 3-1-1, tempest 1-2-3, for help with knockdowns, (a real weakness as u prob know) or 3-2-3 for overload aura/boons! Heal skill is glyph, if with group use wash the pain away. Try earth, water, fire shouts, then elite i use glyph, water for heals, most of the time its up, fire for damage, earth for the tank, air is not bad, but i find it least useful.

Damage is the greatsword is all we really have lol. Rebound in group setting, Although, glyph can be more useful(CLEANSING WAVE) if u boost your healing power to 1k++ to heal your team!(bring down the condi damage way down, for healing power) Runes i use Durability again HOT runes, so for now, go to TP read the runes preferable pick 1 with toughness to add to your tankiness! This tank style is for the rare but if u like it, try this, add some of your own wrinkles to it, experiment, have fun testing! Then do champ runs!!!!!! GOOD LUCK!!

@antorios of boxius.1043 said:Stick with your signets for now, if u enjoy them, especially keep the earth.

Especially Fire Signet for its great dps range, and short CD.Earth signet is the least interesting IMO. I need to measure its effectiveness with or without against some champions.

i run staff, because u can facetank the champ and the group with it, also attack from distance, (fire#4, then#5 for exp). Best heals from staff as well. u got the other weapons down style wise, but the focus, has not much heals going for it.

Heal from staff is mainly Geyser (water 3) and water blast combos. That aside, staff might be more difficult to kite champions? Dagger/focus have some evade / invulnerability along with breakbar damage.

For core atm, water, earth is a must, run air or fire for damage, then DROP THE OFFENSE for earth, water, tempest.

Air provides nothing for condi except Zephyr's Boon if you need more fury to proc Burning Precision and arguably Inscription for CD reduction. Compared to fire, it's night and day.

3300+armor, 1k-1,300k for condi damage, at least 700+ heals, i run 800-900+ depending nowadays, open world is easy, till u decide to challenge a champ, then its a bit different fight. Like u stated earlier, 1 or 2 hits, dps toons are finished. Tempest alsp gives u shouts so ditch the signets for the shouts, providing auras/boons that will make u CLOSE TO UNSTOPPABLE!!!! i will share my set up, traits=water 1-3-3, earth 3-1-1, tempest 1-2-3, for help with knockdowns, (a real weakness as u prob know) or 3-2-3 for overload aura/boons! Heal skill is glyph, if with group use wash the pain away. Try earth, water, fire shouts, then elite i use glyph, water for heals, most of the time its up, fire for damage, earth for the tank, air is not bad, but i find it least useful.

When condi are not an issue, I would run Written in Stone or Stoneheart.

Damage is the greatsword is all we really have lol. Rebound in group setting, Although, glyph can be more useful(CLEANSING WAVE) if u boost your healing power to 1k++ to heal your team!(bring down the condi damage way down, for healing power) Runes i use Durability again HOT runes, so for now, go to TP read the runes preferable pick 1 with toughness to add to your tankiness! This tank style is for the rare but if u like it, try this, add some of your own wrinkles to it, experiment, have fun testing! Then do champ runs!!!!!! GOOD LUCK!!

Can you link your build to see the details? It seems you don't have strong burn duration?Do you use Earth Shield? I suppose it is even better with Tempest.

I would use trailblazer's gear because of toughness and vitality. Good condi damage requires expertise. Without it, your condi will end before you stack next ones. More vitality also mean you're tanky. You can add some Settler's gear (trinkets or weapons).Elite skill: I think FGS for condi is just bad. There is only one condi skill. Better take glyph of elementals: fire one has strong condi skill with low CD (6 or 8 seconds). Other elementals are good for specific situations: earth to take agro from you, water for healing and air for CC.Full Settler's gear is not super good if your main source of healing is Signet of Restoriation - why? Because of low scaling. Core pasive healing is 202. Your gear has 900+ healing power and with it SoR has 298 heal per cast. My eq has only 4 Settler's pieces and healing from SoR is 250.I would use something like his:http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PGgAg2lZwyYTsLGJOKT9LPA-zRRYkhLvNaQGhRfCEWAOzCEPbA-e

Signet of Air: because of Break Stun and speed boost.Glyph of Elemental Power: also Stun Breaker, but it is a DPS skill: your next 5 attacks will inflict burning (if attuned to fire).

I have similar build for my weaver, but it's Weaver instead of Water and sword instead of dagger. Primordial Stance and Twist of Fate.

@"Antycypator.9874" said:I would use trailblazer's gear because of toughness and vitality. Good condi damage requires expertise. Without it, your condi will end before you stack next ones. More vitality also mean you're tanky. You can add some Settler's gear (trinkets or weapons).

I agree, especially for burning short duration.However, I'm not convinced by your build.You have 48% expertise, with Balthazar runes and Burning Precision. Runes and trait already provide 70% burning. You have 18% that only serve bleeding, which is a low part of your damage.

Elite skill: I think FGS for condi is just bad. There is only one condi skill. Better take glyph of elementals: fire one has strong condi skill with low CD (6 or 8 seconds). Other elementals are good for specific situations: earth to take agro from you, water for healing and air for CC.

I agree, but I just like FGS skills (animation, style, theme). And its whirlwind provides you an evade+reposition on very short cooldown. It's invaluable when kiting a champion. Glyph is strong but it lacks fun factor.

Full Settler's gear is not super good if your main source of healing is Signet of Restoriation - why? Because of low scaling. Core pasive healing is 202. Your gear has 900+ healing power and with it SoR has 298 heal per cast. My eq has only 4 Settler's pieces and healing from SoR is 250.

You miss all heal from water:

• regeneration (very strong scaling)
  • soothing mist (with soothing power)
  • flow with water
  • healing ripple

There are also staff or dagger skills. And in my case, active signet as well.

I would use something like his:http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PGgAg2lZwyYTsLGJOKT9LPA-zRRYkhLvNaQGhRfCEWAOzCEPbA-eSignet of Air: because of Break Stun and speed boost.Glyph of Elemental Power: also Stun Breaker, but it is a DPS skill: your next 5 attacks will inflict burning (if attuned to fire).

I have similar build for my weaver, but it's Weaver instead of Water and sword instead of dagger. Primordial Stance and Twist of Fate.

I have considered replacing earth by arcane. I will miss Elemental Shielding through.

@Aigleborgne.2981 said:

@"Antycypator.9874" said:I would use trailblazer's gear because of toughness and vitality. Good condi damage requires expertise. Without it, your condi will end before you stack next ones. More vitality also mean you're tanky. You can add some Settler's gear (trinkets or weapons).

I agree, especially for burning short duration.However, I'm not convinced by your build.You have 48% expertise, with Balthazar runes and Burning Precision. Runes and trait already provide 70% burning. You have 18% that only serve bleeding, which is a low part of your damage.

I think (thanks to trailblazer's gear) you can take other ofensive sigil or something defensive. My "10% condi duration" is just standard option for all condi builds. Main reason to choose this gear is combo toughness and vitality. Having only toughness isn't a way of being tanky.I see some errors in my build now.If my build has 48% condi duration + 50% burning, I don't need additional 20% from traits. Critical strikes inflict burning (trait recharge 5 seconds), but there is no precision, so I would change first trait to Burning Fire (auto condi cleanse) or Conjurer (if you play with conjured weapons).

You miss all heal from water:

regeneration (very strong scaling)soothing mist (with soothing power)flow with waterhealing ripple

My thoughts were more about weaver, but you're right in this point. Still, I would mix Trailblazer with Settler for more health pool.

@Antycypator.9874 said:My thoughts were more about weaver, but you're right in this point. Still, I would mix Trailblazer with Settler for more health pool.

I have tried trailblazer gear but it misses healing power.I thought that healing power with a lot of toughness would be better than toughness/vitality: be able to fully regen all health than only regen 30% because double health pool.

I don't need more expertise as I already have 100% burning. But yeah, it could give more choice to rune and trait if I did.I can play a bit more to find a good mix of both.

And you was right about Burning Precision, doesn't seem that great if you already cap burning with low precision.