Tell me about your placements — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Tell me about your placements

Lilyanna.9361Lilyanna.9361 Member ✭✭✭✭

I had seven throwers/afkers in my matches and got thrown in silver because of it. What's your guy's horror stories? This was me solo'ing and not duo'ing like a smart player.

Comments

  • 7-3 like always...solo queued. 3 were unwinnable because of enemy team duos. 3 were stomps with good duos on my team and none on theres and 4 were actually good games because everyone was solo and I was able to carry.

    Duo is bad.

    Also, everyone ‘throws’ now. There are about 10 people who still play PvP who know 100% of the time what they are doing.

  • Lilyanna.9361Lilyanna.9361 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Interpretor.3091 said:
    7-3 like always...solo queued. 3 were unwinnable because of enemy team duos. 3 were stomps with good duos on my team and none on theres and 4 were actually good games because everyone was solo and I was able to carry.

    Duo is bad.

    Also, everyone ‘throws’ now. There are about 10 people who still play PvP who know 100% of the time what they are doing.

    Feelsbadman.

    It sucks honestly. No one really has the spirit anymore, especially in lower tiers.They just quit or afk for quick pips.

  • Interpretor.3091Interpretor.3091 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 4, 2019

    @Lilyanna.9361 said:

    @Interpretor.3091 said:
    7-3 like always...solo queued. 3 were unwinnable because of enemy team duos. 3 were stomps with good duos on my team and none on theres and 4 were actually good games because everyone was solo and I was able to carry.

    Duo is bad.

    Also, everyone ‘throws’ now. There are about 10 people who still play PvP who know 100% of the time what they are doing.

    Feelsbadman.

    It sucks honestly. No one really has the spirit anymore, especially in lower tiers.They just quit or afk for quick pips.

    There’s no point honestly. There is NO support for PvP now, not even a little. On top of that, there is so much to learn outside of pure competitive meta vs meta PvP. In ranked, if you arent aware of every single ability and trait from all professions, solo q can be a complete coinflip in terms of countering and playing against other players. You can’t even inspect what other players are playing until the game starts and you have to fight them and see their abilities.
    At least in MaTs you have an idea of what the other team’s comp is/will be, but even last minute swaps ruin that too.
    Not saying we had a chance, but the last time I played in a MaT, Helio swapped last second from Spellbreaker (mirror matchup) to Condi Mirage as a side laner and absolutely kitten on me in game because it counters warrior. How is that even fair? Am I supposed to swap mid game to Scrapper to counter him and suffer a 60 second respond timer?

  • Placements are interesting. I’ve found I can solo q and not see 1 good player hence I can squeeze out 8-2 or 9-1 commonly. This can get me any where from plat2-3. No different this still happened on 1 of my accounts it strange that only after I hit top tier elo that I see teams that are hard to get. After placements I usually need to duo q to keep this up

  • Low top 250 has people in g2, do you think people are giving a kitten about ranking on this season?xD

  • Lilyanna.9361Lilyanna.9361 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @NecroSummonsMors.7816 said:
    Low top 250 has people in g2, do you think people are giving a kitten about ranking on this season?xD

    Probably not lmao. Seeing how people just giving up games more than seeing it through nowadays.

  • Shao.7236Shao.7236 Member ✭✭✭

    Ended Platinum 2 at 1630 pts, was Platinum 1 ~half last season.

    Won 8 games, lost 2 during placements. Since then I'm like staying at the edge of Platinum 2 with matches that give 7-9 pts while losses are often -17 and more.

    I'm only soloQ unless good friend of mine needs a hand because of throwers/afkers, don't mind risking the pts for it.

  • Ended on the cusp of silver with something dumb like 4-6. Crawled my way to the bottom of plat 1 and I'd be happy to just chill there at this point.

  • Lilyanna.9361Lilyanna.9361 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Aylpse.6280 said:
    Ended on the cusp of silver with something dumb like 4-6. Crawled my way to the bottom of plat 1 and I'd be happy to just chill there at this point.

    That's probably gonna be me this season. I honestly see no reason to try and climb into plat 2 when people scream more than even the gold players.

  • Roquen.5406Roquen.5406 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 4, 2019

    I had the worst placements I've ever had this season. Felt as if 7/10 matches had someone not log in, afk straight out the gate, or "get angry" because they ran 1-3 into a fight and then died almost immediately. They promptly afk and just type in base the rest of the match. I can't tell anymore if someone is throwing deliberately, just getting angry, a bot, or trolling. It feels more often than not you are fighting the queue to get put on a team with people that actually want to play, the rest of the time is filled with I don't know what.

    I think I ended 3-7 or 2-8, somewhere around 1100 and am slowing climbing my way back up to P1. Currently at 1430-1440ish? I know I'm not great at the game but for most seasons I've hovered G3-P1, very occasionally peaking at P2. I used to end placements right around P1 but last 3 seasons I've had bad placements. Most likely me just getting worse at the game but /shrug.

    I do remember specifically the first match of the season put me against 2 top 10 players (they weren't duo IIRC but they were top tier). We had a thief that went for lord 30 seconds into the game and somehow sat in the enemy base not actually doing anything. Eventually one of the enemy team walked over and killed them. Then we got farmed the rest of the match. The very next match, my side had an afk from the start.

    The biggest difference for a while now though, is that I feel what I do does not have much of an impact anymore. It seems the matches are mostly decided before the game even begins. I used to feel that I could kind of tell, "Oh I kitten up really bad here, that probably cost us, or oh I'm not playing so well to complement the team", etc... Now I feel no matter how well or poorly I do, the match will play out either in winning or losing streaks, until some condition is met, then it repeats.

    I would like to see less gaming of the system and more punishment for people abusing it. It's frustrating to see things like people duo queuing as X classes, only to see them swap last second to those classes counters, to have an easy match-up. I would prefer no class swapping once queued in (do other games allow class swapping once you've seen the match-up?) but I guess that would require a more balanced matchmaker to not sway one side or another. Or known players afking for many seasons and them still having access to ranked. Maybe you don't want to ban them entirely but at least ban them from ranked or something?

  • mortrialus.3062mortrialus.3062 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Went 9-1. Placed mid plat 1.

    The Psychomancer: Mesmer Elite Specialization Suggestion

  • @Dantheman.3589 said:
    Placements are interesting. I’ve found I can solo q and not see 1 good player hence I can squeeze out 8-2 or 9-1 commonly. This can get me any where from plat2-3. No different this still happened on 1 of my accounts it strange that only after I hit top tier elo that I see teams that are hard to get. After placements I usually need to duo q to keep this up

    tHESE ARE THE TYPE OF PEOPLE WHO HAVE MANY ACCOUTS WHOP LONG IN JUST FOR GOLD ASND AGK AND DCE but plays on his main. Many like him

  • @Thanks.6859 said:

    @Dantheman.3589 said:
    Placements are interesting. I’ve found I can solo q and not see 1 good player hence I can squeeze out 8-2 or 9-1 commonly. This can get me any where from plat2-3. No different this still happened on 1 of my accounts it strange that only after I hit top tier elo that I see teams that are hard to get. After placements I usually need to duo q to keep this up

    tHESE ARE THE TYPE OF PEOPLE WHO HAVE MANY ACCOUTS WHOP LONG IN JUST FOR GOLD ASND AGK AND DCE but plays on his main. Many like him

    Your right it’s actually possible to maintain plat3 solo q as long as u keep games to the minimum.

  • crepuscular.9047crepuscular.9047 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 5, 2019

    have no idea how the system works....

    lost 8 won 2, placed in Gold ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

    [RIP Fashion Wars 2005-2018]     [TTS] [KA] [SI]     [RIP Fashion Wars 2005-2018]
    Praise the Inevitable Eternal Transcendent King Palawa Ignacious Joko, the Beloved and Feared Undying Eternal Monarch of All !!!
    ... til Aurene ate him for dessert 😭
  • Tycura.1982Tycura.1982 Member ✭✭✭

    7-3 and placed mid plat 1.

  • Gamble.4580Gamble.4580 Member ✭✭✭

    ****> @Tycura.1982 said:

    7-3 and placed mid plat 1.

    U probly lost 2/3 out of the first 3 games as they are most important

  • Finished at 1611 last season on an account and popped at 1390 (7-3) during day 1 of the season.
    Then i made a brand new account 2 weeks later, did 9-1 and popped at 1550.
    Only solo's btw

    That's my alt account btw

  • Bazsi.2734Bazsi.2734 Member ✭✭✭

    Lost almost all of my placements(there was nothing I could do, all decided by matchmaking), I've won almost all matches since(most of it also decided by matchmaking, incredibly onesided roflstomps). Got placed 1200-ish, climbed to plat 1 since. But I keep facing the same 1200-ish people, because I'm already getting +8 for a win and -17-ish for a loss.... where are the other platinum ranked players?

    I've played in the first 13-14 seasons, then I skipped a year, and only started playing again this season... but if this is how it will go I might aswell just stop. Matchmaking/match-quality is horrible, and I say this by comparing it to how it used to be a year ago, not some idealistic perfectionist delusion. PvP really needs a shakeup just to continue it's existence, conquest is on it's deathbed.

  • Lilyanna.9361Lilyanna.9361 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @crepuscular.9047 said:
    have no idea how the system works....

    lost 8 won 2, placed in Gold ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

    Wait how did you get in gold when I went 3-7 and got thrown into the borderline between silver 3 and gold 1?

    kitten?

  • crepuscular.9047crepuscular.9047 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Lilyanna.9361 said:

    @crepuscular.9047 said:
    have no idea how the system works....

    lost 8 won 2, placed in Gold ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

    Wait how did you get in gold when I went 3-7 and got thrown into the borderline between silver 3 and gold 1?

    kitten?

    like i said ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

    not sure if the devs have made modifications to the matchmaker algorithm, so far the experience has been the best I've ever had for the past 5 seasons since i started PvP, except for the very 1st match out from the placements, every match is pretty evenly matched, alway win and loss by a tiny margin

    [RIP Fashion Wars 2005-2018]     [TTS] [KA] [SI]     [RIP Fashion Wars 2005-2018]
    Praise the Inevitable Eternal Transcendent King Palawa Ignacious Joko, the Beloved and Feared Undying Eternal Monarch of All !!!
    ... til Aurene ate him for dessert 😭
  • Aaralyna.3104Aaralyna.3104 Member ✭✭✭

    Only won 1 matches in placement and 1 right after, lost all others. (ppl didn't even bother to split to get camps). I ended up in silver 2 but am close to entering bronze for 1st time in my life. But this is the 1st season I felt like hoping for easy fast non pvp dailies since the wait time of queueing is ridiculous this season. Its more like 5 mins waiting before I finally even get into a match. Is there no mesmer playing anymore or something... I play as chronomancer and in all matches of opponents I have seen 2 chronomancers and 1 core mesmer and that all mesmers I have seen. I feel as if they like to match up same class vs same class and if its not around you can wait for a long time in queue. This is at core play times btw.

  • Honestly, I have no idea how placement works. I've won 8/10 and been placed in gold. I've won 3/10 and been placed in gold. Like, what?

  • MyPuppy.8970MyPuppy.8970 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I think i won 3 or 4 matches and placed in silver. Back in gold, on my way to plat, a guy wanted to duo and i accepted, but he left when i said i was placed in silver. I think i never saw him again.

  • Abraxxus.8971Abraxxus.8971 Member ✭✭✭

    Went 3/7, mostly due to afk'ers and getting placed on teams full of core specs that sadly weren't very good vs teams of elite specs that just rolled us. I just sigh and keep on going. Rank means nothing really anyway.

    Bring back Ceara

  • 9-1 ended 20 rating below legend.

    ~ God Tier Guardian

  • Tiale.2430Tiale.2430 Member ✭✭
    edited September 6, 2019

    First 2 3 games of placements give more rank, the first game is something like 120 130+(check-in gw2efficiency), you cant never loose, and the rank points decrease while you play the season.

    The conclusion you need to win a lot in the first games to place high.

    Subdrop : Guardian : NA

  • Ziggityzog.7389Ziggityzog.7389 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 8, 2019

    I'll wait for the last few days then I'll play ranked and do my 10 games. Useually 8-2 or 7-3 with the bad games being afks, dcs, or just bad players. Get a plat badge for the off season lol. Ranked is too much of a cesspool with duo and circlequest only. Not worth the time.

  • I wonder what the ratio of players in the top 100 are consistent duos. This season, I totally have seen why duos utterly ruin ranking. Someone playing solo compared to someone in a decent duo is going to be severely penalized while losing many more matches.

  • crepuscular.9047crepuscular.9047 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 8, 2019

    @crepuscular.9047 said:

    @Lilyanna.9361 said:

    @crepuscular.9047 said:
    have no idea how the system works....

    lost 8 won 2, placed in Gold ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

    Wait how did you get in gold when I went 3-7 and got thrown into the borderline between silver 3 and gold 1?

    kitten?

    like i said ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

    not sure if the devs have made modifications to the matchmaker algorithm, so far the experience has been the best I've ever had for the past 5 seasons since i started PvP, except for the very 1st match out from the placements, every match is pretty evenly matched, alway win and loss by a tiny margin

    i take my words back, absolutely trashy matchups over the weekend

    the ability for firebrand to heal a scourge when 3 dps focusing on the scourge is disgusting

    [RIP Fashion Wars 2005-2018]     [TTS] [KA] [SI]     [RIP Fashion Wars 2005-2018]
    Praise the Inevitable Eternal Transcendent King Palawa Ignacious Joko, the Beloved and Feared Undying Eternal Monarch of All !!!
    ... til Aurene ate him for dessert 😭
  • Climbed to 1609 last season solo q only with my core ranger. 6:4 placement and somehow I am back in gold hell. And its a struggle in this dark pof2win age where you have to face broken holos, mirages, scourge/fbs, sbs etc. So i dont play this season much anymore and if i play just some unranked

  • placement worst I ever had this season. wonder why.

  • Psycoprophet.8107Psycoprophet.8107 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Ur over all rank has far more to do with how good the random players were that the game matched u with on ur team than ur actual individual performance which is such a weird way for a competitive pvp game to rank its players. Then again this is gw2 lol

  • Ralkuth.1456Ralkuth.1456 Member ✭✭✭

    I lost my first and maybe second placement match and was 8w2l in placements, came out around ~1530.

    I’m usually gold3-plat1 and finish around there as well. I switched to Firebrand this season and felt less effective, but I was not punished for it as much as I predicted. It might have to do with lower population this season, as queue times have been longer, and I see some 1600+ players in plat1 games.

    Player of distinguishing mediocrity (S5: G3, S6: P1, S17: P1).
    Carrying enemy team since 2012.
    "Multiclass implies you can actually play the class" - A Certain Royalty, on Twitch

  • Firebeard.1746Firebeard.1746 Member ✭✭
    edited September 14, 2019

    @Lilyanna.9361 said:
    I had seven throwers/afkers in my matches and got thrown in silver because of it. What's your guy's horror stories? This was me solo'ing and not duo'ing like a smart player.

    You know i've seen people throw winnable matches just because we lose 1 team fight and it feels sadly common in gold (when i was that high)
    I actually don't give a hoot about my ranking. It's all win rate. Speaking of which i was like 0/4 on my mesmer, picked a metabattle meta build for a different profession and have had a 3 match win streak since. Balance in this game is atrocious, my performance should not jump that much playing an unfamiliar profession. Mesmer has a good chance against most profs, but in team fights they're actually quite useless compared to what others bring to the table. So i expect more nerfs, worse win rates for them.

  • @Firebeard.1746 said:

    You know i've seen people throw winnable matches just because we lose 1 team fight and it feels sadly common in gold (when i was that high)
    I actually don't give a hoot about my ranking. It's all win rate. Speaking of which i was like 0/4 on my mesmer, picked a metabattle meta build for a different profession and have had a 3 match win streak since. Balance in this game is atrocious, my performance should not jump that much playing an unfamiliar profession. Mesmer has a good chance against most profs, but in team fights they're actually quite useless compared to what others bring to the table. So i expect more nerfs, worse win rates for them.

    7 games is too small a sample to conclude much of anything. Even if your expected win rate was 50% you have a 12.5% chance you win or lose 3 in a row and a 6.3% chance to win/lose 4 in a row so neither is that uncommon. Could be you are still better on your mesmer but just had a bad streak.

  • @raistlinx.4906 said:

    @Firebeard.1746 said:

    You know i've seen people throw winnable matches just because we lose 1 team fight and it feels sadly common in gold (when i was that high)
    I actually don't give a hoot about my ranking. It's all win rate. Speaking of which i was like 0/4 on my mesmer, picked a metabattle meta build for a different profession and have had a 3 match win streak since. Balance in this game is atrocious, my performance should not jump that much playing an unfamiliar profession. Mesmer has a good chance against most profs, but in team fights they're actually quite useless compared to what others bring to the table. So i expect more nerfs, worse win rates for them.

    7 games is too small a sample to conclude much of anything. Even if your expected win rate was 50% you have a 12.5% chance you win or lose 3 in a row and a 6.3% chance to win/lose 4 in a row so neither is that uncommon. Could be you are still better on your mesmer but just had a bad streak.

    My win rate all of last season was like 20-30%.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.