Mike Z on pcgamesn.com: Expansions not ruled out

zealex.9410

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So they may or may not make future expansions at some point later down the line. That doesn't really suggest LS5 leads into an expac unless LS5 is a long "saga" considering the length of time needed to make one bigger and better than previous ones and they haven't reached the point of making a decision. Nor does it suggest a concrete internal roadmap or long term plan which is prob why we don't get one communicated to us.

“now, whether or not we change that method moving forward, we’ll have a different conversation at that point.”

I guess it depends when "that point" is. After LS5? Or sooner?

@"Randulf.7614" said:So they may or may not make future expansions at some point later down the line. That doesn't really suggest LS5 leads into an expac unless LS5 is a long "saga" considering the length of time needed to make one bigger and better than previous ones and they haven't reached the point of making a decision. Nor does it suggest a concrete internal roadmap or long term plan which is prob why we don't get one communicated to us.

“now, whether or not we change that method moving forward, we’ll have a different conversation at that point.”

I guess it depends when "that point" is. After LS5? Or sooner?

Considering pof took around 16-18 months to make id assume sooner, unless they plan to keep this saga going well over the 2 year mark.

The main thing to take from this tho its that they arent working on one which means either lw5 will be long, or we wont see an expansion after it.

Ofc this is a perfect "we will leave it to your imagination" answer.Why tell them what they dont want to hear when u can leave it open.

Where exactly did you get the notion that a new expansion was on the table.. suggest editing your thread title tbh.It is not like Mike Z was going to say nope, no expansion nada or yeah we're going to be putting that expansion out.. especially straight after the live event let down. Imagine all those people who just paid out for that event get home and hear some other announcement not thought worthy of their ears and cheers.Nah just typical PR stuff to avoid any further disappointment or worse getting the community all feverish again over something they can't fulfil .. yet.

@Randulf.7614 said:So they may or may not make future expansions at some point later down the line. That doesn't really suggest LS5 leads into an expac

It obviously isn't. I didn't have any hopes in that regard since the weekend, because it really does sound like The Icebrood Saga is going to re-invent the LW format, possibly moving it into a format to replace LW seasons as well as expansions. I believe we won't know until the end of TIS, because at that point they will have to tell us what's next. ;)

Sadly this really doesn't change anything for me personally, I can't think of a more Vague answer to such a question, untimately everything either IS, or ISN'T on the table, we've asked for reasonable content for years, and gotten next to nothing based on how much time, personel, and investment ArenaNet has had over the last 7 years, not to forget all the money, AND Experience they made with the Original GuildWars.

Untill they openly start communicating, Even if its just a Oh hey, just to let you know, we only just began work on an expansion, we have nothing we can share about it, and it will take minimum a year and a half till we have anything to show you , I'd take it anyday over this, Whatever-this-is that we have now.

And untill such a time, I'll reserve the right to be constructive, and critic, saying:

ArenaNet Is like A Sandwich Shop, That refuses to tell the regulars, and new customers, that they no longer sell sandwiches

@Wakani.1829 said:Sadly this really doesn't change anything for me personally, I can't think of a more Vague answer to such a question, untimately everything either IS, or ISN'T on the table, we've asked for reasonable content for years, and gotten next to nothing based on how much time, personel, and investment ArenaNet has had over the last 7 years, not to forget all the money, AND Experience they made with the Original GuildWars.

Untill they openly start communicating, Even if its just a Oh hey, just to let you know, we only just began work on an expansion, we have nothing we can share about it, and it will take minimum a year and a half till we have anything to show you , I'd take it anyday over this, Whatever-this-is that we have now.

And untill such a time, I'll reserve the right to be constructive, and critic, saying:

ArenaNet Is like A Sandwich Shop, That refuses to tell the regulars, and new customers, that they no longer sell sandwiches

Everything (except earnable ingame mount skins) is on the table with anet, its the perfect non answer for them to give about the subject without telling players something they wouldnt want to hear.

@zealex.9410 said:Everything (except earnable ingame mount skins) is on the table with anet, its the perfect non answer for them to give about the subject without telling players something they wouldnt want to hear.

And that's precisely the problem. we don't want their perfectly vague answers, we want straight up communication and answers.

Are expansions off the table? if so, fine, let us know so those of us who crave That can leave and do something else, while they market the game for a new type of player, all i want is the damned truth, and as a paying customer, I am entitled to my ability to tell them they are dropping the soap in the prison shower, over and over

This is how the unrealisitic expectations begin. Someone sees an article saying X. Interprets it as Y. Then share it with their interpretation. Someone sees the share, doesn't see the original article and just assume Y is true. Gets mad when it turns out to Y isn't true.

Ok it is very simplified and I know game developers make mistakes too, like overhyping something that might could have done with a little less hype. My point is the rewording what they say can have some level of consequenses down the line.

@"Bloodstealer.5978" said:Where exactly did you get the notion that a new expansion was on the table.. suggest editing your thread title tbh.It is not like Mike Z was going to say nope, no expansion nada or yeah we're going to be putting that expansion out.. especially straight after the live event let down. Imagine all those people who just paid out for that event get home and hear some other announcement not thought worthy of their ears and cheers.Nah just typical PR stuff to avoid any further disappointment or worse getting the community all feverish again over something they can't fulfil .. yet.

English is not my first laguage, doesnt "on the table" in regards to something (in this case an expansion) mean that its being discussed/considered?

It's a pretty fair article, unfortunate that it doesn't actually bring Nothing new to the table.

Expansions not having been ruled out is already something that we know. The problem is that it is a Vague statement, more akin to "Maybe, maybe not" or "We're thinking about doing that". It perpetuate the vague declarations Anet has been lambasted for before, and I have no doubt it will continue because of the ambiguous wording.

It's nice to know you're "Thinking about it", please tell us whether or not you can Realistically do it, and are Actually planning for one, but at a latter date. That last one is basically what Everyone who have been clamoring for an expansion are waiting for. They're not waiting for a date, they're not asking for what features will be in it. They're asking for confirmation from the company that it -Is- planned. Not -maybe- planned in the future

I also want to point out there is Still no known definition for "Expansion-like content". If that article was used to explain what their vision of "Expansion like content", I'd appreciate the PR more. As it stands, it just shows they dont understand what the issue is.

The post lay-off statement from the company was a good step... That they immediately gave up on.