Second attempt at story and still getting connection losses

Bast.7253

Second time doing the story and STILL getting connection losses during story instances. Happened in Glint's lair and now, as usual because it seems to happen at least 20 times with The Departing. Twice now already and I'm not even sure I want to attempt to do this again. Last time it took me at least 15 times until I was able to complete it. It's disconnecting after the Balth fight this time, first time loading the cinematic, and second time trying to load the afterlife instance. Last time I had to do the soul eater pre-nerf 5 times and it would disconnect when speaking to Joko.

What is it with these story instances that is creating such a problem?

And before anyone mentions that it may be something on my end, I've never had this happen with any other story instance until this expansion. Also, I even attempted to turn my settings to the absolute lowest the first time around and it made no difference. I know it isn't on my end.

So I'm not sure what the deal is, but how do you expect people to complete these story achievements if they have to run the same long instance 10 times at lightning speed for fear of disconnecting and losing all progress. At least add some more checkpoints during some of these instances, because The Departing is by far the worst one to get disconnected during.

I honestly thought this would have been resolved by now.

I love when you get right to the end of Glint's Lair, listening to the Final Memory Crystal right after killing that Facet only to get DCed, I can do this all day. Who needed to go forward when you can kill the same Mobs over and over, get knocked off your mount over and over, SO MUCH KITTENING FUN!Please fix this, because I am tired of doing this, I can't go forward until I do this right?

@cptaylor.2670 said:And before anyone mentions that it may be something on my end, I've never had this happen with any other story instance until this expansion. Also, I even attempted to turn my settings to the absolute lowest the first time around and it made no difference. I know it isn't on my end.

Graphics settings have no impact on your connection.

Players do these story instances hundreds of times every day without problems. If it would be completely broken for everyone, nobody would be able to continue and forum would be filled with complaints. It could be something with your ISP or anywhere in the connection between your PC and Anet server, none of which can be solved by Anet.

@FogLeg.9354 said:

@cptaylor.2670 said:And before anyone mentions that it may be something on my end, I've never had this happen with any other story instance until this expansion. Also, I even attempted to turn my settings to the absolute lowest the first time around and it made no difference. I know it isn't on my end.

Players do these story instances hundreds of times every day without problems. If it would be completely broken for everyone, nobody would be able to continue and forum would be filled with complaints. It could be something with your ISP or anywhere in the connection between your PC and Anet server, none of which can be solved by Anet.

Then why do I only have this problem with story instances and only in this expansion?

I know I'm not the only one because at least 3 other people were having the same issue. And how exactly would I fix the problem if it were my isp? And how would I know?

Why would I not have this issue in other parts of the game if it were something on my end?

you can check traceroute, http://www.whatsmyip.org/traceroute/, to see how many "hops" your connection to the server from your computer, through your ISP, is taking. Any one of these can cause a two second or longer delay in actual data being transferred, and in any scenario, if there is even a perceived delay, like as in cut scene, long scene or fight and one or more of the "hops" your connection is taking stutters or delays, you could lose connection to the server. One of the ways you can attempt to prevent this from happening is to keep the "hops" to the Anet server to a minimum. I use https://www.wtfast.com, it is a vpn ONLY for gaming, not a traditional vpn, so you take the IP path that has the least "hops" in it to reduce any lag and reduce the number of potential bottlenecks that may cause disconnection, as any of them can. Get that number of "hops" down, therefore reducing your chances of getting disconnected. I am connected using Satellite internet so in order to play ANYTHING I have to use WTfast the lag is so great. BUT even with cable or DSL, reducing the "hops" to the Anet server is going to give you less disconnection possibilities. There is a trial period where you can see if it actually does help you with this. When your going to do this, use WTfast, then attempt the instance. If it doesn't help, that was not the problem and there are other ways as you can see on the first link I provided that you can check or change to try to avoid this.

@cptaylor.2670 said:

@FogLeg.9354 said:

Then why do I only have this problem with story instances and only in this expansion?

I know I'm not the only one because at least 3 other people were having the same issue. And how exactly would I fix the problem if it were my isp? And how would I know?

Why would I not have this issue in other parts of the game if it were something on my end?

It happens to me still too, on some instances. Now I just trigger things and run away since it's usually some conversation step. Click the memory of Glint and stick around to listen, get DCed, run off to the other room, fine.Stick around for Joko's talk, get DCed. Run past him up the ramp and stand at the gate while he chatters away, works fine.

@"cptaylor.2670" :Did you try the following from https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/8576/dcing-during-the-departing:

@Zakmyrr.6389 said:I've had some luck with this, but I still get disconnected sometimes.

Right click the shortcut you use to start GW2.Click "Properties", then select the Shortcut Tab, if it's not already on that tab.In the field next to "Target" you should see something like, "C:\Program Files\Guild Wars 2\Gw2-64.exe"At the end of that line, hit space and type -clientport 443.It should now look like this, "C:\Program Files\Guild Wars 2\Gw2-64.exe" -clientport 443

Now, click the "Compatibility" tab.Near the bottom, put a check in the box labeled, "Run this program as an administrator."Click Apply, then OK

You can also try -clientport 80

It worked for me!

Archived