I finally decided to try wvw last night and to say I feel completely let down by what I experienced would be an understatement. I really hope that its a combination of bad luck at joining a group of completely inept wvw idiots and being a wvw noob myself.
I've done large scale pvp in other games and there were always a few people communicating what to do and attempting to direct others. And there was just no one like that....
- Where was everyone? Friendlies didn't usually show up on the map. Every now and then they did. Every now and then the commander tag would become visible somewhere. I've had better luck finding Waldo in Times Square.
- Map chat? Apparently that's for Dad jokes. Is there a different channel people are actually exchanging combat-relevant info on? Like where to group up? What we intend to push for? Where they saw enemies?
- While dead, are your only options wait 5 minutes or go back to the waypoint and do the long walk of shame back to where you were? I'm not putting "get rez'ed by friendly" as an option because every large group I did start following got steamrolled in under 3 minutes and everyone died.
- What were people trying to doing? or maybe supposed to do? I read what's on the wiki but it sort of implied that other people were acting intelligently... and I didn't see anything like that. I would occasionally find people, usually when we respawned at the waypoint and follow them, but then we got steamrolled... I got no sense of coordination or cohesion.
- How are you supposed to escape wvw? After 45 minutes of pointless wandering and dying and seeing no one make an effort to do anything tactical or strategic I decided I had enough, but I couldn't find a way to leave. Nothing clearly said "Exit here" or "Lion's Arch this way" on any asura gate. I tried logging off, switching characters, but still nope. I ended up just porting back to my guild hall as a way of getting . That can't' be the right way to do it. What did I miss?