Need advices to get better at my guard.

SunTzu.4513

Greetings fellow Guardians,

after a longer break i'm back in the game. I decide to go with the Guradian but i have so trouble to stay alive in prolonged fights and some parts of the personal Story. I'm using the standart metabuild on power DH. Gear is complete ascendet berseker. On normal trash i have no problems at all but in sustained fights i'm really running out of active defense skills pretty fast. The whole lake Doric map is one big struggle. If i do an event where one of the siegemasters spawn like Immelhoof i spending more time in downstate or rerunning from a portpoint than infight. All this AoE's and armys of trash adds seems to melt away my aegis/blinds and dodges so i get oneshoted pretty fast.

The Head of the Snake was a dying fiesta so much AoE in such a litte space. The Hounds of Balthazar were the same story. And jeah heart and mind was even worse.

On the Dragonfall meta events i have the same problems overall on the new LS metas like istan it's just no fun for me to play.

On the other Hand if I'm doing the same things on my Spellbreaker i can yolo screaming jump into the fray and just wreck my way trough everything. On my Chrono with sword/sword/shield too.

One thing i've noticed by watching other DH players is that they jump into a boss/elite, drop all traps retreat and just camping on bow or scepter in the distance.

How do you survive in those scenarios? Are you change gear/stats for more vitality or toughness? That's the first time i'm really thinking of it on my other chars i always feelt comfortable on running the fraktal meta in the ow.

Hi, I usually do PvP and Open World, and with my experience I tend to work more with sustain-heavy traits and gear so that I can stay alive to solo HPs that can be solo'd. They usually work very well too for Story bosses and stuff.

I would advice against the metabuilds with Full Zerk simply because they are maximized for fights that you already know, where you, the player know exactly when to pop your Guardian's active defenses for the biggest value. For fights you don't know it's better to go with very sustain-focused setups - tanky builds with a lot of vitality and toughness don't scale too well, you want some healing power and toughness with enough condi-clear for some instances (which work best with Firebrand specialization); in other cases just having Zerk + Marauder's and Meditations could work (and your traits whether Core or DH depends on if you want Symbols or Reflects in your build).

CC-spam Firebrand: Use your CC's combined with the traited Slow to break all the bars ever existed. Renewed Focus gives you a lot of sustain by allowing you a second set of books, and "Save Yourselves!" is an optional slot for you to choose an extra stunbreak; switch to this configuration for better quickness uptime and when you don't need to break bars. Don't hesitate at all to use your books for the reflects and ridiculous boon vomit. Full book support + book ammo increase I don't recommend if you're just trying to solo.

Symbolic DH: spam scepter to your heart's content, and switch to your mace+focus "blocking" set and spam all those things when you are in a jam. There's enough Healing Power and Toughness to see you through, and you can switch trap to Test of Faith if there are some really scuffed situations requiring even more constant protection than your Mace and Shield can provide. I personally also like to play Meditrapper-like builds with Longbow and 2x damage traps, but that's solely for fun reasons.

Sometimes if a boss spews deadly projectiles (I'll take the Verdant Brink lower left side HP with the poison frog, and Auric Basic 3x Golem HP with the laser barrages as examples) you might need to spec into Wall of Reflection with Master of Consecrations or use the Spirit Shield, and it's absolutely ok if you drop the DH line for Virtues when the DH virtues don't do a lot vs constant projectile barrages; you have a very handy Shield of Absorption from your Shield to stall your CDs and good on-demand protection if needed already.

These are very quick builds I made just now but there's not much originality to them; it's just stacking a lot of defensive traits together and relying on your Symbols to do damage (and when possible, stand in them to increase sustain).

Marshal's gear (Exotic; Haimi's) can be had for very cheap on the TP.

The DH META build, just like any other META build, relies heavily on outside support. They go under the assumption of perma Might, Fury, Quickness, Alacrity, outside healing (, Protection, etc.) as they are min-maxed around a raid scenario. There are Open World builds on Metabattle you might want to check out.

@"Henry.5713" said:The DH META build, just like any other META build, relies heavily on outside support. They go under the assumption of perma Might, Fury, Quickness, Alacrity, outside healing (, Protection, etc.) as they are min-maxed around a raid scenario. There are Open World builds on Metabattle you might want to check out.

No DH builds now for some reason. About a week ago I was on metabattle and there were still at least 2 open world DH builds. For open world there are 2 firebrand and 1 core guardian builds now. http://metabattle.com/wiki/Guardian#open-world

The thing about greatsword is that it relies heavily on the burst combo which is procession of blades > tether > greatsword 4 > greatsword 2. When this combo is on cooldown using greatsword actually gives less sustained dps than scepter. So in open world scenarios where you need to play safe, you can jump in and do the combo and then get away and camp scepter until the combo is off cooldown, with only a small dps loss compared to optimal dragonhunter rotation.

Most of the damage you'll take is when you do the combo on greatsword, but there's 3 main defensive skills you can use to keep yourself safe during it. Your third virtue blocks everything for 3 second, which is almost enough for the entire combo. Scepter 5 tanks 4 hits, so you can use that before you swap to greatsword for the combo. Your heal Litany of Wrath is basically godmode for its duration since it heals so much.

I run the trait lines of the meta build. As for gear, I have extra vitality, a bit above 13k. I use fire works runes and food that increase concentration. I use SoJ and PT, but last skill is save yourselves, for retaliation and fury uptime. Elite Feel my wrath for quickness and fury.

Warrior SB has better ability to take a hit, but it’s ability to recover is not good compared to DH. Chrono is far less survivable compared to DH. You can block. But chrono has crappy heal.