What about fresh air SC/....

abhoudaby.4526

With scepter you essentially want to keep range because you have no other defense and your skills are terrible at close range. Focus offers both ranged CC and defense making it a lot easier to lock someone down as well as stay alive for a bit longer in a fight.

Offhand dagger offers only melee skills which are mostly realistic to pull off in pve because you can run w/e in pve. It has good burst, but scepter already provides decent enough burst, especially with weaver. Offhand dagger wants you in melee range, scepter wants you to keep distance so the synergy is pretty bad unless you're melee 24/7 (which is only pve).

If you're getting bored of classic ele, play weaver. It's more evasive, has a lot better burst, but a lot worse sustain (no water spec). A pure glass cannon. If you dont have PoF, play with d/d. Metabattle usually covers the most popular builds with good performance.

I would never use off-hand dagger for core elementalist, especially in PvP. While it's nice to have Cleansing Wave as a skill to heal and cleanse yourself and allies and Ride the Lightning is a really fun skill, the rest of the skills focus on dealing damage in close range. The focus gives core elementalist so much utility, like a fire field for stacking might, an AoE daze, an unblockable knockdown, a reflect that cleanses more than Cleansing Wave and a damage and CC immunity skill.

Off-hand dagger works better for the old school d/d celestial elementalist. Not that it's an amazing build by today's standards, but it can do some work. Check out

, a GW2 streamer who plays d/d elementalist a lot and is really good at it. Personally, I never liked the d/d weapon set. I always liked the Fresh Air scepter/focus build as it's all about keeping the air auto attack active while swapping attunements, making it more engaging.

You can use Scepter/dagger as a burst weapon set combined with lightning flash, fresh air and glyph of storms. Essentialy you jump into your target with earth 5 + lightning flash, cast GoS to apply blind, burst your target down. If you fail you walk away with ride the lightning and cleansing wave. You can use fire 4 for zone pressure. But I should warn you that this build will be squish, gimmicky and extremely hard to survive. Still tried this for a while and it was at last different :)