deadname removal

This is not an issue that personally affects me, but it has caused several people I've tried to get back into the game to be very hesitant.

The documentation for display name changes specifically says "full real life name" is what warrants a name change. However, many of my friends only have part of a name that is no longer theirs.

https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000728148-I-Want-to-Change-My-Display-Name

Is it possible to remove a display name containing someone's deadname? How about a display name that could be used to find a player's deadname, such as a nickname they no longer use?

@Nightgunner.2896 said:

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:Each player would have to contact the CS Team and discuss the individual issue with them.

"we decide on a case-by-case basis" is generally not an acceptable answer to "do I have rights"

But that's the only answer anyone on this forum can give you.

That each affected person would have to contact CS and discuss the issue with them.

No one on the forum will know if a specific person's display name qualifies for a name change unless it specifically falls under one of the categories listed on the page you linked to. Based on what you've said they do not and therefore fall under the part of the page that states that all others will be decided on a case by case basis.

Edit to add:

They typically want to keep the number of name changes down for the following reasons:

1. Troublemakers can't wipe the slate clean regarding their reputation.
  2. Certain systems in game are buggy and will still reference the old display name and this can cause issues in game.

@"Seera.5916" said:

2. Certain systems in game are buggy and will still reference the old display name and this can cause issues in game.

I'm pretty sure most people would prefer "bugs can expose your deadname" over "everything will expose your deadname" if given only those two choices.

@Nightgunner.2896 said:

@"Seera.5916" said:

I'm pretty sure most people would prefer "bugs can expose your deadname" over "everything will expose your deadname" if given only those two choices.

Game companies tend to avoid doing things that are known to cause bugs. I also do not know how permanent those bugs are or what problems they could cause with say mailing stuff to a person with a changed display name.

I've done all I can to help your friends convince support that they should change their display names. Support is backlogged with tickets so replies might take some time.