Staff needs some love — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Staff needs some love

The staff has been a good trade off for condi, I would like the one aspect of the staff that's just painfully poor upgraded. The auto attack is the only draw back to the weapon, it's super weak and doesn't add conditions. A condi added to it like cripple or weakness would be beneficial.

<1

Comments

• As someone that look play Necro for almost 2k hours ...i gave up i just accept w/e they do...cuz i dont care anymore. it became the norm to nerc the necro evry major patch .. Like its on their patch check list.

• Kam.4092Kam.4092 Member ✭✭✭

Staff will still be used on Scourge in PvE when there's lots of mobs, and still be used in WvW and PvP.

Maybe since it's used in all game modes, the devs think it doesn't need a rework.

I just think the auto attack needs to be faster, and have a Condition added.

• Einlanzer.1627Einlanzer.1627 Member ✭✭✭✭

Caster Staff autoattacks are bad for most classes due to how slow they are . Guardian, Necro, Mesmer, and Ele all have this problem. This is an example of the weird discrepancies in the way ranged weapons are designed. Some are fairly powerful while others are really weak due entirely to a badly tuned autoattack. Mesmer scepter was the worst example of this until they finally added conditions to it a couple of years ago. Ranger's longbow used to be really bad as well.

• A condition on auto-attack would be interesting indeed, however the rest of the skills are not in such bad shape that it warrants a full rework, the Staff fills the utility weapon spot so you're not gonna see it excel at either condi or power burst.

• Im on the "full rework" train on this one. Marks are a rather crappy design, as these are AOE instant casts with an instant effect they have to limit the power quite a bit. Also its a shame that all of them are tied to one weapon. A healthy mix like guards have with their symbols would offer a lot more possibilities trait wise.

And the AA is the worst AA in the entire game hands down.

An idea to fix them is to activate them manually, then lower its base radius and make the radius and the effects both increase over a short duration (3/4/5 seconds or so). The trigger effect should be more potent and maybe leave an AOE, well like effect with a similar theme. Like Mark of blood could splash for direct heal and direct damage, and leave a "well" that pulses bleed and regeneration. The "well" effect would only occur if the mark charges for the full duration. The trigger effects will be applied even if no enemies are in range.

• Svarty.8019Svarty.8019 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Kam.4092 said:
    Staff will still be used on Scourge in PvE when there's lots of mobs, and still be used in WvW and PvP.

I concur, but IMO that's for lack of viable visceral alternatives.

Necro. Never knowingly blasting combo fields since 2012.

• If Marks pulse, even just twice, it would already be a big improvement. AA should be a non-projectile attack like the rest of the necro range weapons.

• I doubt Anet will rework staff when it still is our most used weapon outside of pve.

But i agree the aa should see some improvements.

• I'm okay if the AA remains as a projectile attack and functions as a finisher.
    However, the AA on staff could use either an increase in its attack speed allowing for more guaranteed hits, or a damage boost or adds a condition on hit.

• kKagari.6804kKagari.6804 Member ✭✭✭✭

Someone suggested on the old forums to spread the marks around, like symbols. I always like that idea. Gives every weapon a unique zone control kind of feeling.

• I mentioned this in another thread, but I think the AA should be reworked to bounce to hit 2+ additional targets (maybe even bounce to allies to give a minor boon, too, but the first bounce has to be off of your selected target), move/cast slightly faster (with a projectile that looks like a sickle to match the scythe theme), and apply conditions (something like Torment on the first target, and then bleed on the secondary targets... reducing duration with each bounce).

• Staff is garbage DPS, but has several big factors going for it:

• It is Necro's only 1200 range option
    • 2-5 are targetable AOE. This is amazing for tagging in blobs, so in WvW zergs, you don't need great DPS to get kills in.
    • Staff 4 can potentially transfer all Condis on yourself to others. This is big in PvP and WvW
    • Staff 5 is an AOE CC, which is good for PVP point control
    • Staff auto is Necro's biggest LF source if you can hit multiple targets. This is important for refilling LF bar after spins in WvW zergs. This also has potential of giving use to staff in PvE for LF hungry Scourges, but don't really think so outside of trash-heavy events.

I hate how terrible the DPS of staff is. Every time I pull it out in WvW, I know it's purely for ranged safety, selfish cleanses, and tagging rather than solid contribution to the bomb. It can EASILY get major DPS buffs without becoming overpowered... it just simply has strong enough utility to always have a purpose in WvW and PvP. Though won't feel as bad with Scourge - the LF potential of Staff means it supports my Shade pressure, making it feel less selfish for hitting like a wet noodle.

• Vitali.5039Vitali.5039 Member ✭✭✭

@Methuselah.4376 said:
    If Marks pulse, even just twice, it would already be a big improvement. AA should be a non-projectile attack like the rest of the necro range weapons.

I don't think it could be a good idea as a rework..

• ZeftheWicked.3076ZeftheWicked.3076 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 15, 2017

Full rework.

Look at axe, look at dagger and at greatsword. These weapons are fun. Their skillsets are synergetic and promote a weapon specific plastyle. It's not just 5 skills slabbed together, done. They interact with eachother, good usage of one opens up the path for others to reap much greater benefits and you feel good choices are greatly rewarded.

Also their aa are meaningful. GS aa is one of the nastiest dodge baits out there. It's not funny how much fear the last hit in chain instills in enemies.
    Axe's auto serves the purpose of building up vulnerability for massively more powerful Ghastly Claws. Also being a non-projectile is an amazing harrasment tool for guardians mesmers and other projectile hate reliant professions.
    Dagger auto may be the oldest and most plain of the 3, but it's speed does get a passing mark on the fun factor, considering almost everything on necro is slow as molassess.

Staff aa? Slow. Weak. Reflectable. No plays with it, at all. 0 synergy with rest of the weapon skills.

• @Vitali.5039 said:

@Methuselah.4376 said:
    If Marks pulse, even just twice, it would already be a big improvement. AA should be a non-projectile attack like the rest of the necro range weapons.

OK, I once proposed these changes on the old forums:
    1. Necrotic Grasp – faster casting and projectile travel speed. 50% chance blast finisher.
    2. Mark of Blood – 4 stacks of bleed for 10s, regen for 10s (5s CD)
    3. Chilblains – 5 stacks of poison for 8 s and chill for 6 seconds (10s CD)
    4. Putrid Mark – Blast Finisher. Transfer all your conditions into the mark (their timers will be suspended). All “stored” conditions will be transferred to each target that triggers the mark. (15s CD)
    5. Reaper’s Mark – Fear for 2 seconds. (20s CD)
    Souls Marks will change as following: Marks are unblockable, regenerate lifeforce per target struck and gain an additional effect.
    -Mark of Blood: Steal health from each target hit
    -Chilblains: targets are crippled for 10s
    -Putrid Mark: corrupt 2 boons
    -Reaper’s Mark: this mark also inflicts 5 stacks of Torment for 7 seconds

• Lahmia.2193Lahmia.2193 Member ✭✭✭✭

You gotta remember, Anet isn't going to want to put massive amounts of resources into something they don't think is worthwhile. Completely revamping staff would isn't likely be a worthwhile venture in their eyes, given how much effort it would take and how, quite frankly, it isn't really needed.
    General buffs like 100% projectile or adding a boon corrupt to chillblains are a better way to go.

"Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death."

• @Lahmia.2193 said:
    You gotta remember, Anet isn't going to want to put massive amounts of resources into something they don't think is worthwhile. Completely revamping staff would isn't likely be a worthwhile venture in their eyes, given how much effort it would take and how, quite frankly, it isn't really needed.
    General buffs like 100% projectile or adding a boon corrupt to chillblains are a better way to go.

Then again, you dont know what they think is worthwile. We got a complete Plague rework and a complete Lich Form rework altough both of them could be considered "not really needed" as well. Lich Form had its niche use in PvP and WvW (pre nerf also in PvE) and Plague had its use in WvW and PvP.

They would need quite a lot of "small" changes like projectile finisher to make the weapon fit a distinct role (other than WvW tagging) with a more interesting kit.

• @Methuselah.4376 said:

@Vitali.5039 said:

@Methuselah.4376 said:

OK, I once proposed these changes on the old forums:
    1. Necrotic Grasp – faster casting and projectile travel speed. 50% chance blast finisher.
    2. Mark of Blood – 4 stacks of bleed for 10s, regen for 10s (5s CD)
    3. Chilblains – 5 stacks of poison for 8 s and chill for 6 seconds (10s CD)
    4. Putrid Mark – Blast Finisher. Transfer all your conditions into the mark (their timers will be suspended). All “stored” conditions will be transferred to each target that triggers the mark. (15s CD)
    5. Reaper’s Mark – Fear for 2 seconds. (20s CD)
    Souls Marks will change as following: Marks are unblockable, regenerate lifeforce per target struck and gain an additional effect.
    -Mark of Blood: Steal health from each target hit
    -Chilblains: targets are crippled for 10s
    -Putrid Mark: corrupt 2 boons
    -Reaper’s Mark: this mark also inflicts 5 stacks of Torment for 7 seconds

This would make staff strong but i dont think it would fix the main problem. The main problem is the boring skills, all instant casts with an instant effect without any overtime AOE or flavour whatsoever.

@Brujeria.7536 said:

@Lahmia.2193 said:

Then again, you dont know what they think is worthwile. We got a complete Plague rework and a complete Lich Form rework altough both of them could be considered "not really needed" as well. Lich Form had its niche use in PvP and WvW (pre nerf also in PvE) and Plague had its use in WvW and PvP.

They would need quite a lot of "small" changes like projectile finisher to make the weapon fit a distinct role (other than WvW tagging) with a more interesting kit.

That is true, I don't know what they would think. I can only guess. But Staff is a pretty well used weapon however. Plague and Lich Form were both very niche as you said. Its pretty obvious why they'd change the elites but not staff.

• Stand The Wall.6987Stand The Wall.6987 Member ✭✭✭✭

I would be happy if the only thing they changed was staff 2 doing good power damage, and possibly 5 doing a 2sec fear instead of 1.

The horror...…….the horror...…….the horror...…….

• Staff has always been in a weird spot. Sort of a power weapon, sort of a condition weapon, not really good at either. With the recent buffs to Axe as the power ranged weapon of choice, and scepter being the clear ranged weapon for conditions, it makes sense to move staff into a niche that necro currently lacks,** Support**. My suggested changes will make staff the go-to weapon for support whether you’re a vanilla necro, or as the Support weapon for Scourges.
    1. Necrotic Grasp: 100% projectile finisher and increase attack speed and projectile speed.
    2. Mark of Blood: When triggered causes a burst of healing to all allies in the mark. Applies 2 stacks of bleeding, plus another stack on the number of allies healed by the mark. Grants regen to allies. Increase cooldown to 8-10s. (My thoughts on this change was because most Support oriented Necros will be condition based, so this gives them some damage options and rewards them for good application of team support)
    3. Chillblains: Chill and poison targets in area. Grants might to allies based on the number of enemies struck by the mark. (Again, leaving the conditions on it makes sense but buffing it to be a group Might giver makes it desirable in group play).
    4. Putrid Mark: Unchanged except it gives Resistance to Necro and allies based on the number of enemies hit.
    5. Reaper’s Mark: Reduce cooldown to 30s. Inflicts fear and grants allies Stability.

Any one of these changes would be awesome and give us a support oriented weapon.

• Zenith.7301Zenith.7301 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Lobo.1296 said:
    Staff has always been in a weird spot. Sort of a power weapon, sort of a condition weapon, not really good at either. With the recent buffs to Axe as the power ranged weapon of choice, and scepter being the clear ranged weapon for conditions, it makes sense to move staff into a niche that necro currently lacks,** Support**. My suggested changes will make staff the go-to weapon for support whether you’re a vanilla necro, or as the Support weapon for Scourges.
    1. Necrotic Grasp: 100% projectile finisher and increase attack speed and projectile speed.
    2. Mark of Blood: When kitten causes a burst of healing to all allies in the mark. Applies 2 stacks of bleeding, plus another stack on the number of allies healed by the mark. Grants regen to allies. Increase cooldown to 8-10s. (My thoughts on this change was because most Support oriented Necros will be condition based, so this gives them some damage options and rewards them for good application of team support)
    3. Chillblains: Chill and poison targets in area. Grants might to allies based on the number of enemies struck by the mark. (Again, leaving the conditions on it makes sense but buffing it to be a group Might giver makes it desirable in group play).
    4. Putrid Mark: Unchanged except it gives Resistance to Necro and allies based on the number of enemies hit.
    5. Reaper’s Mark: Reduce cooldown to 30s. Inflicts fear and grants allies Stability.

Any one of these changes would be awesome and give us a support oriented weapon.

Projectile finishers are not that useful in PvE for most projectiles, and basically turning marks into reaper shouts isn't helping anyone, as in PvE instances you rarely fight bosses where striking multiple enemies to give scaling boons happens.

The support offered by the staff is anemic and the DPS cost will make it never see use in PvE.

This is also why druid staff is currently not used when a condi druid can heal just fine without the massive DPS loss of a "support" weapon that offers virtually no DPS. Same goes for revenant staff which is also a "support" weapon.

• I am begging you, can we ask for any reaction in this matter from the persons responsible for this state of our only weapon with 1200 range? next months pass, and the necromancer is in the same hopeless position in pve as before ...

• Staff don't need conditions on auto, instead it should be buffed in damage, traveling speed and slightly faster RoF.
    Power reaper needs a ranged weapon serously.

Cross

I happily have a duplicate of ele staff's fire auto attack on necro staff since I've never liked the way piercing works. Aoe around the target would be much nicer.

• @Crossaber.8934 said:
    Staff don't need conditions on auto, instead it should be buffed in damage, traveling speed and slightly faster RoF.

Bingo from this power reaper. Quicker aa is the obvious.

• Anchoku.8142Anchoku.8142 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2017

Piercing AA can be good so I hesitate to change anything, there, if it meant giving up piercing.

My one request for staff would be to shave some CD from Reaper's Mark. If it was 25-28 sec base instead of 32, that would greatly improve its utility.

• Obtena.7952Obtena.7952 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2017

@Brujeria.7536 said:

@Lahmia.2193 said:

While we don't know directly, it's not hard to infer that completely reworking a weapon is ALOT less worthwhile than a single skill. You have to think of this as a business; two questions:

1. Why would they rework it?
    2. Is it worth the cost to rework it?

I can actually think of many reasons Anet wouldn't rework staff, though I don't think it's out of the question they would look at one or two skills on it and change those.

Frankly, the worst thing about staff is that it's slow and boring. It's also got a problem conceptually with how marks work. The idea of laying out marks isn't unreasonable but it's idea is kind of defeated if laying out those marks NOT on a target may result in no effect. In otherwords, the risk to placing marks off-target isn't worth the reward of the marks themselves. That turns Staff into an AOE spamming weapon ... and those are VERY hard to balance for damage in MMO's (and very boring to play).

Personally, I think power builds benefits most using an Axe for a ranged weapon; I doubt staff could compete with Axe, even if it was buffed in RoF and/or damage.

Based on these two ideas, I think the conditional effects should be significantly buffed, as that's the niche that Staff was obviously intended to fill.

If you think balancing is only driven by performance and justified by comparisons to other classes then prepare to be educated:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/balance-updates-the-heralds-near-future-and-pvp-league-season-13/

• Justine.6351Justine.6351 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Crossaber.8934 said:
    Staff don't need conditions on auto, instead it should be buffed in damage, traveling speed and slightly faster RoF.

Be careful what you wish for.
    Hammer Revs would be replaced by Power Reapers, bringing even more boon corruption on a far tankier build for WvW.

Anet buff me :-(
    Make me good at game!

• For me staff needs a full rework and I have always found it puzzling why the class with the worst mobility does not have a decent long ranged weapon to at least hit those we cannot keep up with.

Staff is slow and cumbersome and the marks placed are underwhelming, so for me it needs alot of work done to it.

• Kain Francois.4328Kain Francois.4328 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2017

Staff is good for the most part. It's a WvW/PvP weapon using unblockable marks. Balancing it could be tricky since it's not strong individually, but powerful in groups. I don't think we need to buff it offensively.

Instead, I suggest buffing the support, giving it more appeal to a healing scourge. Slap an aoe heal on first target of autoattack, buff regen duration of staff #2, and possibly add some barrier on staff #3. Staff #5 can have a 1s daze, which functionally won't do much against players since they would already be Feared, but increase its breakbar damage.

• @Kain Francois.4328 said:
    Instead, I suggest buffing the support, giving it more appeal to a healing scourge. Slap an aoe heal on first target of autoattack, buff regen duration of staff #2, and possibly add some barrier on staff #3. Staff #5 can have a 1s daze, which functionally won't do much against players since they would already be Feared, but increase its breakbar damage.

I can't see them doing that (while I'd like it) because barrier is a functionality locked behind the PoF specializations, and because staff has been a base weapon since the game came out, don't see that being a reality in this particular case.

The only skills I love is the #4 and #5, because 4 is a condi transfer and 5 because of fear (as I am a fearmancer... yeah they exist still!). My only big complaint about staff is the marks not generating life force without the Soul Marks trait; I feel they should regardless of a trait or not, just like any other weapon we are offered. I don't usually get into discussions like this, but I do enjoy the gameplay with the staff, and if it were to be improved, I'd love it!

Teacher, gamer, uncle, etc..
    Devils Remorse, lvl80 MP257 Scourge (filthy)
    Phantom Moon [PM] GM/Founder

• i see ppl complaining about marks/necro staff beeing boring. i think its very unique and should not get a full rework. give aa 2 stacks of poison, reduce cast time to 1/2 sec and let projectile fly a bit faster. done.

• Having to trait for marks to give lf is an absolute joke. Unblockable ok but for lf gain.. come on.

• Elbritil.3817Elbritil.3817 Member ✭✭
    edited December 30, 2017

grab ur pitchforks and torches, but I had an idea back in the old forums, and had years ago a good reception.
    So, we have specter = ranged condi weap.
    axe = "RANGED" power weap.
    GS = meele power weap. (exp. bound)
    dagger = another meele power weap (should be our meele condi option, but that an other topic)
    aaaaaaaaand we have our brain dead staff, wich feels like I'm holding Antonina or Sikandar in my hand (and meant in the bad way). A pile of patchworked poo.

!

So. Our traits cover every style what the necromancer can wear: monstrous power, a living plague, death itself and so on. And we have blood magic, wich sound as a dreadful vampire... and comes down as a medic trainee in the WW II front lines (another topic again).

There are 3 dedicated healer spec in the game right. Druid, tempest and ventari. All of them is elite spec (yea, grandpa centaur is base line, but it's exp. bound, so count it as e.spec)
    If we have staff that DEFINITELY needs a rework (moreover, a clear purpose, why cant be the necro, who has a base line dedicated healer with the staff. It would fit the theme of a shady traveler, who takes ones life to give it to others. There is our LF pool, could be used as fuel as it is in scourge, but as a count base to our healing skills in staf (aka. %LF consumed to heal the same amoint +0,1*Healing Power to target/in an area),or other skill could transfer the necros HP to the target, or consume Hp to get LF or vice versa.
    We have weapon for all of our style and traitline, but not a true weapon to blood magic or being supportive.

• Crossaber.8934Crossaber.8934 Member ✭✭✭

@Justine.6351 said:

@Crossaber.8934 said:

Be careful what you wish for.
    Hammer Revs would be replaced by Power Reapers, bringing even more boon corruption on a far tankier build for WvW.

Well yes, it is anet we are talking about, and it may probably endup with more condition scourge... their love to classes are very conditional.

Cross

• Umut.5471Umut.5471 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2018

Staff auto-attack(Necrotic Grasp) should have more projectile velocity(like 2x faster projectile speed) and attack speed(can't suggest an amount but it needs some buff). Some mobs die even before that projectile reaches its target.
    Another possible option is lowering the cast time or completely removing it from auto-attack.
    It is designed to be used with a power necro since it doesn't deal any condition damage, but it doesn't do competitive damage compared to some
    ranged weapon auto-attacks other classes have.
    Marks should have more physical damage or condition damage, they don't really do significant damage. I just use them to tag mobs or people in WvW.
    Area control effects like chill and fear are good but that's all. Maybe area-immobilize can be added to fourth skill.

Some buffs are needed at least for PvE aspect if Arenanet is thinking about PvP/WvW balance. Necros are bullied in Raid parties because of the lack of sustained damage.
    Benchmarks clearly show glass cannon full DPS Reaper and Scourge have really low DPS compared to those classes people prefer in Raids. (Like Mirage, Berserker, Tempest, Soulbeast etc.)

• Kaiser.9873Kaiser.9873 Member ✭✭✭

@Muchacho.2390 said:
    I doubt Anet will rework staff when it still is our most used weapon outside of pve.

But i agree the aa should see some improvements.

1200 Range and wall haze are all I use Staff for in WvW. It's really bad at both of those functions, but honestly it's all we really have. AA apply cripple is warranted imo.

• Anchoku.8142Anchoku.8142 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2018

Why has no one complained about the 20% chance at being a projectile finisher (in this thread), or did I miss it?

That and the long ICD on Reaper's Mark are the only things on my wish list.

• pretty much in agreement that staffs auto could be a bit faster with maybe slight dmg buff to the marks themselves.

Asura Necro
    "Be excellent to each other." - Wild Stallions

• Staff auto needs to be 100% projectile finisher and the Marks need buffs. Reaper's Mark either needs a shorter cooldown or a longer base Fear duration, for example. About the only skill on staff I feel is fine is Putrid Mark.

Plague Signet is the only skill in the game that is worse when traited.

• Methuselah.4376Methuselah.4376 Member ✭✭✭

@Umut.5471 said:
    It is designed to be used with a power necro since it doesn't deal any condition damage, but it doesn't do competitive damage compared to some

I don't know. I know the range is superior to axe and staff has more utility use, but when I tried using it with my power Reaper it felt so inferior to Axe/Focus in respect to damage. I prefer staff on my condi builds, where I can "burst" the condis from staff and then switch to scepter/torch or /dagger.

• @Methuselah.4376 said:> I don't know. I know the range is superior to axe and staff has more utility use, but when I tried using it with my power Reaper it felt so inferior to Axe/Focus in respect to damage. I prefer staff on my condi builds, where I can "burst" the condis from staff and then switch to scepter/torch or /dagger.

This, we are basically ham-stringed into having to use axe/focus and limit our range attack to 900 rather than the staff 1200 because the overall life force gain and damage benefits are far superior to staff. It needs to be reworked or they need to increase the range of axe to 1200 compensate for the loss of range from a useless staff damage output, it's as simple as that.

• Methuselah.4376Methuselah.4376 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 4, 2018

@Vlad Morbius.1759 said:

@Methuselah.4376 said:> I don't know. I know the range is superior to axe and staff has more utility use, but when I tried using it with my power Reaper it felt so inferior to Axe/Focus in respect to damage. I prefer staff on my condi builds, where I can "burst" the condis from staff and then switch to scepter/torch or /dagger.

This, we are basically ham-stringed into having to use axe/focus and limit our range attack to 900 rather than the staff 1200 because the overall life force gain and damage benefits are far superior to staff. It needs to be reworked or they need to increase the range of axe to 1200 compensate for the loss of range from a useless staff damage output, it's as simple as that.

Problem is that axe is a non-projectile ranged weapon. So they will not increase its range. I prefer it staying as it is than getting it to 1200 and having it as a projectile

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.