Striker Mission?

zengara.8301

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The jumping puzzle was actually the hardest part, the boss was a bit to easy in my opinion. I am not a raider or hardcore player but I think that this was a good test boss.For the future bosses a bit more tactic could be good, as these could be used to improve people their skill as with fractal tiers.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:I have not even found that Strike Mission yet. Where is it located, how do you access it?

Finish the story part for this update and you will unlock it. Groups can currently be found by going to the lfg for the new map.

Thanks, will do soon, but not tonight, I guess.

They need to fix it anyway. Half the platforms are invisible in the lead in jumping puzzle and the fight is over in 2 mins. It's not worth it right now until they go back to the drawing board with it

@Alexa Scorpionwitch.8567 said:I've tried it several times now and, since I suck at JP, I can't even get to the boss fight at the end. I spend the whole mission jumping and falling until its over. Soooo much fun....Done with strike missions.

What's the problem if you can just teleport straight to the boss fight? Just one of you have to finish JP.

@Alexa Scorpionwitch.8567 said:I've tried it several times now and, since I suck at JP, I can't even get to the boss fight at the end. I spend the whole mission jumping and falling until its over. Soooo much fun....Done with strike missions.

You tried it many times? How can you miss The huge message on our screen that says that you can now teleport to your allies when one of them completes the JP?

@Halbarz.3854 said:The jumping puzzle was actually the hardest part, the boss was a bit to easy in my opinion. I am not a raider or hardcore player but I think that this was a good test boss.For the future bosses a bit more tactic could be good, as these could be used to improve people their skill as with fractal tiers.

Yeah, it should be less of a JP and more of an easier raid boss style fight! (which can be harder then this)

Are there any special rewards? Like a unique currency? In what aspect is this Strike Mission a "bridge" towards Raiding?

Personally I do not believe for a second that Anets mantra of these being a training ground for Raids will work to get more people going for the real Raids. There is enough hardcore content already(especially higher Tier Fractals) for people to practice their Teamskills if they would be so inclined. The problem off course is that Raiding and Tier 4 Fractals are usually the domain of people who are in Guilds or tight Friends groups that are willing to tackle that type of content.

I expect that for the Public missions, they will either be easy enough for facerollers to complete them, and they will never learn anything from them, let alone be more inclined to go Raiding; or they will fail constantly, simply leading to avoidance of this content. As to the pre-made squads: eventually I expect the same thing with Raiding and high tier fractals: be good or be out. Not even calling this Elitist, it's just reality.

The only "bridge" I ever see is if Public Strike missions will yield the same currency as a Raid, so that people who will not Raid can eventually earn the same rewards. That is not a bridge towards raiding off course, it's a handout, but still.

I agree that the JP is a major oof but now that the bug with the invisible terrain being fixed it might be fine. It's not an actual difficult JP after all. I wish they'd remove the part where you just get blown off and have to start over though.

Now here's my personal opinion on how this can be regarded as an entry point to raids. I will elaborate a bit on this in comparison to open world champs/bounties and partially fractals as well.

1. There is a lot of emphasis on telegraphs. Many open world champs, bounties and even fractal bosses have poor telegraphs regarding red fields and animations. You can avoid pretty much all damage in this encounter if you pay attention to the telegraphs which is something that pretty much never works out in open world and only on some fractal bosses.
  2. The damage you receive is not over the top unless maybe if you purposely get hit by a slammed down fist. Something that pretty much any open world champ/legendary/bounty suffers from is that you basically get oneshot by most attacks (including poorly telegraphed ones) which makes for a superbad learning experience on them. But getting hit with chill and damage frequently is still very noticeable which makes a great incentive to actively play around the telegraphs.
  3. The boss is big and slow and unlike with open world bosses, standing in the hitbox is a reasonable or even the best option. In open world, standing in the hitbox is the best way to get hit by absolutely every attack and downing frequently. While there are some raid bosses that try to break with the big and slow theme, this is definitely one of the things that sets raids apart from fractals that are more about rapid combat.
  4. There is an incentive to push DPS with the timegated extra rewards/achievement. Even if this won't make people reference benchmarks, I can see people actually looking at their skills and trying to get to a somewhat decent level. And guess what, somewhat decent is already enough to beat some actual raid bosses (VG, Cairn, MO, Samarog, CA) without running into bigger issues in terms of mechanics and enrage.

So overall it goes into the right direction with stress on positioning and telegraphs. Let's be real, 50% of raids is about paying attention to telegraphs and positioning yourself accordingly with the other 50% being about optimising damage. Both of these parts are covered in the strike mission. The fact that the boss is still in babymode right now is not detrimental to stressing the general concepts that are already ingrained into the regular raider's brain. As announced in the live event the boss will receive updates with the following episodes. I believe that the current state is okay for a start and I hope it will keep going into the correct direction.

@Kelly.7019 said:

@Halbarz.3854 said:The jumping puzzle was actually the hardest part, the boss was a bit to easy in my opinion. I am not a raider or hardcore player but I think that this was a good test boss.For the future bosses a bit more tactic could be good, as these could be used to improve people their skill as with fractal tiers.

Yeah, it should be less of a JP and more of an easier raid boss style fight! (which can be harder then this)

Exactly, the idea behind strike missions = I love it, with somewhat easier raid bosses it would be perfect for everyone as it could really train us non raiders to get better and take that step to raids if you want to.

@"ProtoGunner.4953" said:Haven't done it yet but it seems they made three mistakes and one wonders why:

• Jumping Puzzle where no one asked for
  • Far too easy boss
  • Rewards are utter kitten

And maybe a challenge mote would help, too.

About this...:-I'm pretty sure there was a lot of ppl asking for JP-Assuming you mean the strike mission boss, The point of it is to introduce non raids ppl to this kind of boss encounter, if you're a raider of course it would be too easy since we are used to raids, but again, this content is not directed at us, but to non raids players, anet even said this somewhere (the german interview I think?).-Same as above, why would you give big rewards for an too easy encounter.

Anet said the strike boss encounter would evolve and become harder as the Saga continues, so I imagine the difficulty will increase and will try to "adapt" players to it, allowing them to gain the confidence they need to try out raids.

Just beat the boss with 2 other random people. I could solo it but I was on Druid and I'm not sure I could kill it before the enrage, fortunately 2 randos managed to beat the JP and came to help as I was soloing up to 85%. It has no mechanics to speak of, no break bars, only a few shock wave attacks that you can jump over.

I'm really curious at those teams failing if they ever fought any of the legendary mobs of either expansion. Legendary Wyverns for example have way more attacks and mechanics and are much more interesting fights. Even fighting regular veterans like a Hydra or a Djinn in Path of Fire is more exciting than this boss.

@"maddoctor.2738" said:regular veterans like a Hydra or a DjinnThese two examples are stronger than some champions in the desert.The people I had might have been close to the lower end of the skill spectrum though.Since the "public" Strikes don't require coordination, players that usually avoid groups might try it.

@Fueki.4753 said:

@"maddoctor.2738" said:regular veterans like a Hydra or a DjinnThese two examples are stronger than some champions in the desert.The people I had might have been close to the lower end of the skill spectrum though.Since the "public" Strikes don't require coordination, players that usually avoid groups might try it.

Those hydra are cheaters too. Their aggro range seems to be 10 mile (I exaggerate, but not by much)

@sokeenoppa.5384 said:

You tried it many times? How can you miss The huge message on our screen that says that you can now teleport to your allies when one of them completes the JP?

I never saw a message and I wasn't the only one. Someone mentioned something about a shrine but we never found it.

@Alexa Scorpionwitch.8567 said:

I never saw a message and I wasn't the only one. Someone mentioned something about a shrine but we never found it.

Its the only marker on your map in that instance. Map is small what you mean that you cant find it.

@Alexa Scorpionwitch.8567 said:

Once the teleport has been activated you will get the message across the screen and on your map you will see an icon similar to the icons you see in the Dragonfall map: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Shrine.png If this is your first Strike Mission where you are frantically trying to keep up with the rest of the group all jumping like Pro's towards some goal you have never seen before, it's easily forgiven that you missed that. :) I almost did too, lol.

NB: I have become quit fond of jumping puzzles, however only IN MY OWN TIME. Not the ones where your team has to wait for you, while you keep messing up more and more because of the mounting stress. Nothing more fun then falling of the scaffolding in the Cliffside fractal for the 6th time while your group is waiting above you. And starting to comment....... NOT. :( One of the reasons I barely do fractals.

At least in this strike mission you get the portal. :)