Sharp Uptick in Amount of Expletives?

Anyone else thrown off by the amount of expletives being used in dialogue during the Bound By Blood release for Icebrood Saga? I understand that the Charr are meant to be portrayed as a warrior race and edgy, but I expect there are better ways to demonstrate this. Some of these expletive comments make them appear less like battle-hardened veterans and more like tantruming children (especially for Charr leadership).

Just seemed like the game was trying to earn its Teen rating for mild language in some cases.

FYI, I like the vast majority of this new release; this particular topic just seemed a bit much and unnecessary in some cases.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven’t played the episode yet, so I cannot comment directly.

Expletives for the sake of expletives is a waste of writing and dialogue.

However, if it assists in telling the story, assists in developing the character, then I see no reason to limit it. (Of course some words are never indicated)

The rating covers the possibility, and they likely picked the correct race to utilize expletives. (Might sounds odd from a Sylvari or Asura lol)

@"Blockhead Magee.3092" said:In a game that we go out of our way to slaughter as many things as possible - including other players, get drunk, listen to other get hammered, summarily execute people vigilante style (big fan of that btw when it comes to Scarlett); I'm not all that concerned with a few profanities.My thoughts exactly.I remember you could select a Norn story about potentiality drinking and driving. Unexpected Visitors You got to think about the culture of the Norn . While its not an acceptable behavior it would be very much a topic in their society because of their love of moots and how much ale you can hold. So its not far fetched that soldiers would be brash. Most of the soldiers I know use profanities as if it was an art form. I have no problem with this.

I haven't played the new episode yet so I can't comment on the dialogue, but having grown up in a (UK) military town literally down the road from an army base and close to 2 others I can say that if they haven't had to increase the age rating as a result of this episode then the dialogue is milder than the real thing. (Or it's fictional expletives which ratings boards aren't as concerned about.)

@"MaliceAwakening.9205" said:Some of these expletive comments make them appear less like battle-hardened veterans and more like tantruming children (especially for Charr leadership).

So, so, so much this! I have been complaining about the overuse of colloquial ("modern teen") language for years now, it makes everything sound so lowbrow in this game.

Honestly, I can't recall one curse word said while I've been playing this episode, so I can't imagine what sanitized community you must live in to think what is presented is either jarring or unnatural. If they were dropping f bombs or using racist or explicit language, then I would agree. But mild epthaphs are quit common in everyday discourse. I usual take those words as a sign of stong feeling or distress, which despite this episode being a "celebration" -- which I only saw in name only during this event -- this episode was all about tension and stress. All these old rivals were trying to coexist and people were stirring the political pot. Add to that mix battle hardened warriors and a race which has been at war for hundreds of years, the finer points of civil discourse will have long ago been stripped away and language will be just as harsh as the people.

Yeah, I did notice a slight increase in how often profanity was used. There were several uses of the popular curse word used for someone born out of wedlock, as well as the D word. However, it was still very mild, even for a T-rated game. It's really nothing to fret about, especially when a good chuck of the story is our character observing other characters getting totally kitten-faced drunk, occasional racist conversations/rants, and the usual violent elements of games.

@"Doggie.3184" said:Are you talking about Gorrik calling the Charr walking throw rugs or something like that? That was pretty racist. I liked it though, he's a good boy.

That's on the racist side, yeah. But I was mostly talking about a bit of ambient dialogue I happened to notice here and there. Heh, there was even one exchange between a human and an asura, where the human even starts saying "I'm not racist, but..." and basically says something like "This one charr is alright, not like these other savages."

@"RoseofGilead.8907" said:

That's on the racist side, yeah. But I was mostly talking about a bit of ambient dialogue I happened to notice here and there. Heh, there was even one exchange between a human and an asura, where the human even starts saying "I'm not racist, but..." and basically says something like "This one charr is alright, not like these other savages."

To be fair, Asura -- in general -- think of every race as being savages.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"MaliceAwakening.9205" said:Some of these expletive comments make them appear less like battle-hardened veterans and more like tantruming children (especially for Charr leadership).

So, so, so much this! I have been complaining about the overuse of colloquial ("modern teen") language for years now, it makes everything sound so lowbrow in this game.

I have a different take on this. People seem to think a game is more serious if it somehow uses old English, even if the language being spoken isn't English. We're used to seeing midieval fantasy in old English. They characters aren't talking English. It's being translated to modern English for our benefit. There's no reason to translate it into old English which is sort of stuffy and formal and not casual at all. Taimi and Brahm are young and would use whatever current young language is in their vernacular. The decision to apply our standards to a different language that's just a translation seems weird to me.

@"Jayden Reese.9542" said:Maybe they should add a setting to replace these bad words with "kitten" like here on the forums so nobody gets offended

Maybe they heard the word "kitten" a lot and assumed a lot of profanity when in fact they were referencing their young!

Can't say I encountered any. I have just finished watching Preacher and The Boys on Amazon though...so my thresholds for profanity are somewhat tainted.....