Suggestion for Legendary weapons

Maybe not everybody will like it but... What if each different legendary weapon has a specific bonus/passive/proc effect or anything of that sort to fit with the theme of the weapon and the lore behind it nothing to op . Its just to make Legendary weapons meaningful.Also for pvp please give the option to have premade teams for ranked because it really makes no sense this endless vicious cycle of nothingness that we have with random match ups can never reach true potential like this.

Thank you :)

Legendary weapons already have the footfall effects and draw, carry and sometimes attack animations and sounds. Many of them are pretty obnoxious (quip and dreamer come to mind). I'm uncertain of what addition effects could be put on them without making a visual disaster.

But I'm curious - what would you change or add specifically to give legendaries "more value" - and are there any legendaries you're referring to specifically?

@WolfSparkSmack.2649 said:Maybe not everybody will like it but... What if each different legendary weapon has a specific bonus/passive/proc effect or anything of that sort to fit with the theme of the weapon and the lore behind it nothing to op . Its just to make Legendary weapons meaningful.

Or, do you mean to add a stat bonus of some sort to the legendaries as equipped? Because I could see that being.... Slightly unfair in WvW, say, but ultimately inconsequential in all but the highest form of PVE content.

@"rng.1024" said:I actually really like this idea, and would have it replace the pre-existing sigils that come from crafting them.

But that becomes a problem given fixed slots deny a second sigil (which is problem for some builds), or making it additive just sets the precedent for more power creep situations.

I also have this problem when people use the term "meaningful" and then go on to describe "objectively better then everything else". "meaningful" has to be baked into the decision making process..... otherwise the whole exercise is pointless, since theres only one right answer.

I say no for only reason:

Legendary weapons/armor/etc are meant to be the same as Ascended except for the QOL of being able to change the stats at will when out of combat for free. They're not meant to be better than Ascended gear because it's supposed to be something that players can feel just fine in not going for it.

If legendary items get these boosts, then the Ascended gear would need to get the same boosts in order to not make it a requirement to get legendary weapons to be meta.

@starlinvf.1358 said:

@"rng.1024" said:I actually really like this idea, and would have it replace the pre-existing sigils that come from crafting them.

But that becomes a problem given fixed slots deny a second sigil (which is problem for some builds), or making it additive just sets the precedent for more power creep situations.

I also have this problem when people use the term "meaningful" and then go on to describe "objectively better then everything else". "meaningful" has to be baked into the decision making process..... otherwise the whole exercise is pointless, since theres only one right answer.

I was more thinking of it leaving both sigil slots open, as they are currently the "thematic flavour" you get for different legendaries.

As for the effect, I don't see much harm if it's an "upon entering combat" or 60 sec icd effect given it will be disabled in sPvP anyways. For instance a 10% chance to apply 1 second cripple on critical hits won't make or break any builds, only means you will cripple a bit more with that weapon regardless what you run. It's supposed to give the weapon flavour - not you, so gameplay wise it doesn't have to be meaningful.

@rng.1024 said:

@rng.1024 said:I actually really like this idea, and would have it replace the pre-existing sigils that come from crafting them.

I was more thinking of it leaving both sigil slots open, as they are currently the "thematic flavour" you get for different legendaries.

As for the effect, I don't see much harm if it's an "upon entering combat" or 60 sec icd effect given it will be disabled in sPvP anyways. For instance a 10% chance to apply 1 second cripple on critical hits won't make or break any builds, only means you will cripple a bit more with that weapon regardless what you run. It's supposed to give the weapon flavour - not you, so gameplay wise it doesn't have to be meaningful.

its powercreep and ascended would have to be made to match. Ascended and legendary is similar in ability for a reason.

@"Wisty.4135" said:Legendary weapons already have the footfall effects and draw, carry and sometimes attack animations and sounds. Many of them are pretty obnoxious (quip and dreamer come to mind). I'm uncertain of what addition effects could be put on them without making a visual disaster.

But I'm curious - what would you change or add specifically to give legendaries "more value" - and are there any legendaries you're referring to specifically?

@WolfSparkSmack.2649 said:Maybe not everybody will like it but... What if each different legendary weapon has a specific bonus/passive/proc effect or anything of that sort to fit with the theme of the weapon and the lore behind it nothing to op . Its just to make Legendary weapons meaningful.

Or, do you mean to add a stat bonus of some sort to the legendaries as equipped? Because I could see that being.... Slightly unfair in WvW, say, but ultimately inconsequential in all but the highest form of PVE content.

You may got me wrong... I mean something that actually makes difference (not visuals) but rather any kind of bonus ofc not too OP but something to cover up for the 2k gold you spend on compare to many high quality exclusive skins and black lion which are less than 200g most of them, so what they are practically giving us is footsteps and draw effect for another 1500g? i mean come on why bite the bait? :D just saying. Extra combo field now and then, some boon proc, passive regeneration resource,... i mean we can go on and on easy ideas for this that will make the legendary weapon - LEGENDARY

@Seera.5916 said:I say no for only reason:

Legendary weapons/armor/etc are meant to be the same as Ascended except for the QOL of being able to change the stats at will when out of combat for free. They're not meant to be better than Ascended gear because it's supposed to be something that players can feel just fine in not going for it.

If legendary items get these boosts, then the Ascended gear would need to get the same boosts in order to not make it a requirement to get legendary weapons to be meta.

And why not, have some sense of progression its not like they are adding new level cap every year. I mean we do 1 month and full maxed in this game vs never ending farm in other games, you know there could be a middle between right... There is a reason Fashion wars meme exist :D

@WolfSparkSmack.2649 said:

@"Wisty.4135" said:Legendary weapons already have the footfall effects and draw, carry and sometimes attack animations and sounds. Many of them are pretty obnoxious (quip and dreamer come to mind). I'm uncertain of what addition effects could be put on them without making a visual disaster.

You may got me wrong... I mean something that actually makes difference (not visuals) but rather any kind of bonus ofc not too OP but something to cover up for the 2k gold you spend on compare to many high quality exclusive skins and black lion which are less than 200g most of them, so what they are practically giving us is footsteps and draw effect for another 1500g? i mean come on why bite the bait? :D just saying. Extra combo field now and then, some boon proc, passive regeneration resource,... i mean we can go on and on easy ideas for this that will make the legendary weapon - LEGENDARY

This would also make legendary weapon meta, which means that players in fractals/raids starts to Ask ppl to ping legendaries. Dont belive me? We just got a new food that increase dps by 150 and its already meta.

@LucianDK.8615 said:

@rng.1024 said:

@rng.1024 said:I actually really like this idea, and would have it replace the pre-existing sigils that come from crafting them.

its powercreep and ascended would have to be made to match. Ascended and legendary is similar in ability for a reason.

Again they don't have to be who said that this should stay as imperial rule for the rest of the game. Be open for changes, it could make things more fun and better.

@WolfSparkSmack.2649 said:You may got me wrong... I mean something that actually makes difference (not visuals) but rather any kind of bonus

To this effect I would have to say I think it's best that these aren't implemented. As mentioned other places in the post, this has potential to make certain aspects of the game more toxic (specific leggies or kick? Overwriting boon effects or field/ finisher effects from organized group play?

Granted, these may be fringe cases, but I believe they'd cause way more hassle than they're worth. Sorry.

@rng.1024 said:

Again they don't have to be who said that this should stay as imperial rule for the rest of the game. Be open for changes, it could make things more fun and better.

Any possible change would have to be considered under following aspects:

• how does this improve the game?
  • does the positive reception outweigh the negativ (any choice will always lead to varying degrees of happy and unhappy players)?
  • once implemented, what does this mean for future content?
  • how were sinilar situations in the past dealt with and was that successful or not?

Now given that legendary gear was and always has been on par with max level gear (originally exotic, then bumped to ascended once that was implemented), legendary gear was always very expensive compared to it's actual advantage and the soon 7 years (5-6 for weapons and armor, 4 if you consider 4-stat combos) of no powercreep, I wonder how a majority of players will answer those questions.

My personal opinion is: players who enjoy the current system or have come to terms with it are still playing the game, all others have left by now. Given the significant disparity in players who own legendaries and the vast majority who do not, this is a perfect way to get a lot of players very annoyed.

@"Seera.5916" said:I say no for only reason:

And why not, have some sense of progression its not like they are adding new level cap every year. I mean we do 1 month and full maxed in this game vs never ending farm in other games, you know there could be a middle between right... There is a reason Fashion wars meme exist :D

Let's say one of the boosts for the legendary staff is a buff to healing. Then the meta for healers because "Druid with legendary staff with the healing buff"

That makes the legendary no longer optional. It makes it mandatory.

Your suggestion has nothing to do with fashion wars. Fashion wars would be adding stuff to legendary items that change the appearance or create an aura. That I could get behind. It's just visual additions.

But nothing that could make a specific legendary item become part of the meta.

@sokeenoppa.5384 said:

This would also make legendary weapon meta, which means that players in fractals/raids starts to Ask ppl to ping legendaries. Dont belive me? We just got a new food that increase dps by 150 and its already meta.

Anything bad about that?

Guys when you say its gonna be Meta, think about this. Did people cared about whether you had sigil of force or sigil of air back in the days when dps was similar. Once again this proc/effect isnt gonna be something OP so a fractal/raid will do fine without it just like its doing it now. And there are always some toxic players that you got now anyway regardless of this. Don't i see groups allowing exotic geared players to get into raids? Ofc most of them allow it as long as you know what your are doing.The way i see it as usuall its so difficult for people to accept a change its always so bad for them. And once the change has been made (not in gw2 but in general, in life) they protest about it the cry about it they get angry and in the end they accept it and done :D. Always has to be so hard right?Of course if Anet dev has mentioned something like this most of you would either agree or start thinking about it etc, just because a dev said it :D. And if its someone from the community you will totally disagree with. And you say that there are gonna be so many toxic players? hm. Maybe you mean there are and always have been just like now and toxicity only looks for a way out. Instead of possitive open minded people thinking how this can be implemented and make things more fun i see negative people who say straight up now without even thinking about it :D. Come on, make a damn effort to understand it.

Anything bad about that?

Well most of us who raid or fractal will multi class, it would be pretty anoying to full Legendary a character for only one game mode so you could play that game mode. I see lot of posts already how hard it is to get into raiding and you want to add an extra gate there.

@WolfSparkSmack.2649 said:Guys when you say its gonna be Meta, think about this. Did people cared about whether you had sigil of force or sigil of air back in the days when dps was similar.

What time was that? As far as I recall, there was never a time where dps was similar. There was only a time where players would not check dps (due to lack of possibility, instead they would check gear or AP or other arbitrary things). Those two are not the same.

@WolfSparkSmack.2649 said:Once again this proc/effect isnt gonna be something OP so a fractal/raid will do fine without it just like its doing it now.

If the effect is near meaningless, there is no reason to tick off players with adding it. If it is not meanigless, it will cause issues.

@WolfSparkSmack.2649 said:The way i see it as usuall its so difficult for people to accept a change its always so bad for them. And once the change has been made (not in gw2 but in general, in life) they protest about it the cry about it they get angry and in the end they accept it and done :D. Always has to be so hard right?

Powercreep is not challenge.

@WolfSparkSmack.2649 said:Of course if Anet dev has mentioned something like this most of you would either agree or start thinking about it etc, just because a dev said it :D.

They did. It was called ascended gear and the forums went red with blood.

@WolfSparkSmack.2649 said:And if its someone from the community you will totally disagree with. And you say that there are gonna be so many toxic players? hm.

I personally do not care about toxic players. I wouldn't even be affected negatively since I likely own more legendarys than the average Joe. I still don't like legendarys to be better than ascended gear.

@WolfSparkSmack.2649 said:Maybe you mean there are and always have been just like now and toxicity only looks for a way out. Instead of possitive open minded people thinking how this can be implemented and make things more fun i see negative people who say straight up now without even thinking about it :D. Come on, make a kitten effort to understand it.

So everyone disagreeing with you is negative and lacks the ability to properly understand your point. Got it.

You do understand how opinions and discourse work right?

Anything bad about that?

Yes.

Legendary weapons and gear already have a cost that greatly exceeds exotic or ascended gear.

Increasing the demand due to making them meta would increase those costs and the cost of the base materials likely exponentially.

Think Mystic Coins are too expensive now? Wait until players need to buy them to get their mystic clovers quicker so that they can get their legendaries.

Legendary gear should remain as just QoL improvements and cosmetic differences from ascended gear.

@"Seera.5916" said:I say no for only reason:

Its saying things like that, that are an admission of not understanding the ramification of Best In Slot options. For almost any other bog standard MMORPG I wouldn't fuss, only because Power Creep is the only interesting aspect of those games as a whole. Guildwars works differently in that the power cap and power gap between builds have to very small by comparison, because the game's buildcraft foundation is about solving problems mechanically, not just numerically. Raids have failed this on multiple levels, and the ramifications of it are seen in WvW and PvP in a game breaking way.

Power Creep was introduced into the game for the sake of HOT Openworld PvE and Raids, and and we immediately broke the entire system. And the dev's inability to reign it in, without destroying entire build concepts in the process, is why no trusts them to ever fix it. However, one of the few things that could help rectify the power gap, and fix the underlying disparity that creates this problem, they actively avoided at every turn....... Retrofit Core specs to the new baseline, retrofit Core Tyria Content to capitalize on that change, and rework mobs and AI across the whole game to operate more on PvP combat principles. My long standing issue with Feral Mordrem in the wastes, and later HOT as a whole, revolves around Core builds lacking the tools needed to properly combat them, resulting in this blind siding difficulty spike that sets a bad mood for players moving forward. But when loaded with Especs, they're almost trivial by comparison. That gap should never be as drastic as it is. And furthering this problem is the potato AI behavior of Core Tyria mobs, allowing damage to be a One-Stop solution to 99% of the game.

The fallacy that many "progression" proponents argue on is that "improvement" is only presented as a statistical element, when Mastery of game play is a much stronger vector for sense of accomplishment. In fact, this is so stupidly predictable, the DBZ series based an entire premise on it..... to which its current successor mocks on a regular basis. A lot of video games fall into this same trap. And like TV shows, if it a game has nothing else to carry itself on, it quickly becomes a boring slog between milestones of "biggest baddies we've seen to date".

The remedy to this is surprisingly simple in concept...... the game rewards you for being smarter. And for all the complaints I have with the game's design, the fact that players manage to break balance on a regular basis is a testament to what this game's strength is, and what the Devs should be focusing on to make it better. They try to play/balance it as a numbers game, and we turn it on its head. We can make a 5% bonus into a 20% DPS gain, because we can figure out the math better then the Devs do. I decry the notion that a small stat or small effect doesn't make a significant difference, because we've proven capable of magnifying things whenever an avenue exists. If you change the game around so that its how you fight something, and not just how much harder you can hit it before it hits you, so many of the game's long standing issues can be brought in line with how players actually play the game.

Just on the cripple example alone, Dragon Hunters, Rangers, and Theives, all have damage modifiers to crippled targets. Necros have traits that multiple the damage bonus of Vulnerability. ALL classes have a trait that increases the damage of a damaging condition, has applying a condition activating another effect/condition, and many have receiving a condition triggering a beneficial effect. That one presumably insubstantial effect in isolation can be minor at best..... but attached to a build that makes use of it, that effect magnifies to significant, if not multiplicative. And when this weapon has this thing you want that can't be found anywhere else, and has no mirrored alternatives , you are creating an inarguable "Best in slot" situation.