Stealth build help needed.

Ricky Da Man.5064

The dodge rolling and gaining stealth is a trait in the path of fire elite spec for thief called deadeye. Generally you need utility skills such as shadow refugee, binding powder if your traited in shadow arts which focuses on expanding stealth duration any healing skill applies stealth when paired with SA. Hide in shadows without SA also adds stealth. your weapon skills will also allow access for stealth.

@Ricky Da Man.5064

You can use traits to add stealth on Steal, and Stealth on your heal, or in Deadeye on dodge roll with a rifle equipped. Deadeye stolen skills also grant stealth if used with five or more malice.

You can also use smoke fields with leap and blast finishers. A common combo is Black Powder then Heartseeker through the smoke field. You can also use the smoke screen utility and then just use Heartseeker. Daredevil can use Bound dodge from traits through smoke fields to also enter or stay in stealth.

Various other utilities grant stealth, including Shadow Refuge.

@Ricky Da Man.5064 said:So I need to put alot more hero pooints into deadeye then, still struggling to get stealth to stack.

Im popping smoke screen then heart seeker then heart seeker again through it but it just refreshes the timer, which is like 5 seconds or something, using blinding powder just resets the timer too without stacking...

Honestly I'd learn to play DE in a way where u stealth weave when u need to during combat instead of trying for a perma stealth type of gameplay, that is unless u want to spend 90% of ur playtime jumping thru hoops to stack stealth, in ur case smoke fields lol. Gw2 thief isn't really set up for any long durations of stealth, again unless u wanna constantly be focused on continually replying it for a few more seconds which I found incredibly annoying.But that's me. Good luck tho :)

Over the years I’ve learned that in a thief vs thief fight the one with one second longer stealth uptime will have a decisive advantage.

Now, you can bait them into attacking and use other methods to force them out of stealth (such as standing in their smoke fields while in stealth so they accidentally hit you and reveal yourself).

But, you will benefit greatly from stacking stealth for longer durations.

The combo is: Smoke screen and then Heartseeker multiple times to stack stealth. Then have at least one other utility like blinding powder that applies stealth and is also a blast finisher. Use that inside your smoke screen for a lot of extra stealth duration.

You can also use the Shadow Arts trait line to reduce the cooldown on Deception utilities and add stealth to all the heals. Hide in Shadows will give you a long duration stealth if you select the correct traits.

You mentioned hero points. If you are in PvE you don’t need stealth duration so much as access to stealth and the ability to rotate your skills.

What weapons are you using? I can provide a base build for you to aim for and explain how to use stealth to maximize it.

@saerni.2584 said:Over the years I’ve learned that in a thief vs thief fight the one with one second longer stealth uptime will have a decisive advantage.

Now, you can bait them into attacking and use other methods to force them out of stealth (such as standing in their smoke fields while in stealth so they accidentally hit you and reveal yourself).

The combo is: Smoke screen and then Heartseeker multiple times to stack stealth. Then have at least one other utility like blinding powder that applies stealth and is also a blast finisher. Use that inside your smoke screen for a lot of extra stealth duration.

You can also use the Shadow Arts trait line to reduce the cooldown on Deception utilities and add stealth to all the heals. Hide in Shadows will give you a long duration stealth if you select the correct traits.

You mentioned hero points. If you are in PvE you don’t need stealth duration so much as access to stealth and the ability to rotate your skills.

What weapons are you using? I can provide a base build for you to aim for and explain how to use stealth to maximize it.

d/p main sb as backup for now.

@Ricky Da Man.5064 said:

@"saerni.2584" said:Over the years I’ve learned that in a thief vs thief fight the one with one second longer stealth uptime will have a decisive advantage.

d/p main sb as backup for now.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PawAgqVlFw2YgMMGJWyO/rTA-zRRYBRHIG+TpJRQFKgoFC1MBkyHJQ61QhRLA-e

You can use Hide in Shadows and Heartseeker combos with Smoke Screen for Stealth.

Steal will grant quickness and stealth, lets you perform a Backstab fast (make sure you are behind the target).

Then, continue attacking for a moment and use a BP and Heart Seeker once Revealed expires.

If you need to retreat you can use Shadowstep or Shadow Refuge. SR is more stealth and Shadowstep is more flexibility, and can be used to help revive allies who have died.

@Ricky Da Man.5064 said:So I need to put alot more hero pooints into deadeye then, still struggling to get stealth to stack.

Im popping smoke screen then heart seeker then heart seeker again through it but it just refreshes the timer, which is like 5 seconds or something, using blinding powder just resets the timer too without stacking...

When using Heartseeker, you'd lose about 1- 2 seconds of stealth time that's why it looks like it's just resetting the timer. You're netting about +2s of stealth time each HS. Given the fact that it's about 5s as you observed, you netted a +1s stealth time. I understand this fully, I fail at stacking stealth too using HS.

Yeah, get the Deadeye fully unlocked, it the best spec for chaining and stacking stealth.

If you want to prove to yourself it's not just refreshing the timer, but indeed building on top of it, run into the wall, use smokescreen and then press and hold heartseeker (into the wall) :p Don't need SA to see the effects

• Confused 1

Also, notice that you can only stack 5 applications of Stealth. Any new application will overwrite an old application, though you will rarely run into this problem.

You can also Reveal yourself when trying to stack Stealth under certain conditions. Such as trying to extend your Stealth through leaping through a smoke field with Heartseeker, but actually striking your target with it also. The same is true for blasting a smoke field with Cluster Bomb when an enemy is too close. Or trying to Steal while already in Stealth if you have Mug traited. If you do any direct damage to anything while you already have Stealth, you will be Revealed.

One more thing... with the somewhat-recent changes to WvW, maintaining Stealth can be a real pain when in enemy territory or anywhere the enemy has a sentry. After 2 seconds of Stealth, you may very well be Revealed.