How did Anet decide who to address in the email?

Rashagar.8349

Hey all, I won't likely get to log on for a while to experience the new story, but receiving that "Come Join Us" email from Anet today did make me wonder. Since it was addressed to my necromancer, how did they decide that character was the one it should be addressed to?(Can't log in to check if he's my oldest, or most play time clocked, or any other possible reasons.)

Hmm, interesting question. Today's mail was sent to my oldest character, my Daredevil. But a previous mail was sent to my Reaper, and at that time my best guess was they took a snapshot a bit before sending out the mails and whatever my most recently played character as of the time of that snapshot was became the recipient.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:I'm confused. What if the character with the most playtime is not the one played recently? Which takes precedence - play time or recently played?

Probabely the one with the most play time you played recently.So if you got one with 2k hours but was played 4 years ago and 3 with 500 700 and 100 this year, it would be the 700 one.

Dont think many people have this problem, since I usualy login to harvest or gather a jump puzzle chest with every character daily dont everyone?

There must be some weighting on the mechanism. I log in every day with every character for some amount of harvesting, dailies, etc.The e-mail was addressed to my character with the second highest amount of playtime (674 vs 982 hours). However, that character does little more than logging in for a few minutes a day, like the one more played, though I think it does have some more hours of recent playtime than the main.I'm pretty sure I have some characters that I have played more recently, but their total playtime is considerably less.I suppose it depends on the definition of 'recently'. But I could see the formula being something like total playtime + (recent play time * some factor)

Yeah I have to say the email being character personalised is a really nice touch. It made me think I should check in with my necromancer and see how he's doing, as if he'd have been living this other life without me haha (I'd had a long day in work).

I know my necro was my main for the first few years of the game but I knew from waiting for birthday presents that he wasn't my oldest character, and since I'd done so much WvW on my ranger I'd assumed she'd caught up in playtime by now. Turns out my necro still has the slight lead in playtime so it makes sense.

Thanks for answering Stephane!

@Linken.6345 said:

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:I'm confused. What if the character with the most playtime is not the one played recently? Which takes precedence - play time or recently played?

Probabely the one with the most play time you played recently.So if you got one with 2k hours but was played 4 years ago and 3 with 500 700 and 100 this year, it would be the 700 one.

Dont think many people have this problem, since I usualy login to harvest or gather a jump puzzle chest with every character daily dont everyone?

It would mainly happen for people who stopped playing the game a long period because if you have character you haven't logged on for a long time and you have been playing the game continuously then some other character will probably over take them on longest play time.