How do servers work now?

Sicktanick.4369

I got a few friends to join me for PoF. They are brand new and I am returning from the beginning. I believe I am on Sanctum of rall server and was curious on how it works now.

If I remember correctly SoR WvW presence died pretty hard. When I went to look for a different server it was going to cost a lot of gems. I have debated straight up making a whole new account to play with friends because I dont want to force them on to SoR if its dead.

Is there anything new about servers and how they work? Or is anyone from SoR able to tell me how the population is looking?

@Sicktanick.4369 said:I got a few friends to join me for PoF. They are brand new and I am returning from the beginning. I believe I am on Sanctum of rall server and was curious on how it works now.

If I remember correctly SoR WvW presence died pretty hard. When I went to look for a different server it was going to cost a lot of gems. I have debated straight up making a whole new account to play with friends because I dont want to force them on to SoR if its dead.

Is there anything new about servers and how they work? Or is anyone from SoR able to tell me how the population is looking?

Your sever only matter if you want to wvw together so if its only spvp and pve you plan on doing just join the same server cluster na or eu.The only thing that determine server full status is wvw population over months so if it died down recently your friend might not be able to join untill later just have them save their free server transfer. ( you only get 1 the other costs gems)

If you're not planning on playing WvW together then your server doesn't matter at all. As long as you're in the same region (NA or EU) you can play together.

If you want to play WvW together then they could join you, because Sanctum of Rall is a medium population server. Or if you want to move to a new server then I recommend finding one for you all to join, have them pick it as their starting server and then transfering your account to it. To do that you'll need to either pay gems or delete all your characters to get a free transfer. Everything else on your account (items in the bank, skins in the wardrobe, achievements unlocked etc.) will be saved but you will lose the characters themselves and things like bag slots you've bought for them or crafting professions you've levelled.

@Danikat.8537 said:If you're not planning on playing WvW together then your server doesn't matter at all. As long as you're in the same region (NA or EU) you can play together.

If you want to play WvW together then they could join you, because Sanctum of Rall is a medium population server. Or if you want to move to a new server then I recommend finding one for you all to join, have them pick it as their starting server and then transfering your account to it. To do that you'll need to either pay gems or delete all your characters to get a free transfer. Everything else on your account (items in the bank, skins in the wardrobe, achievements unlocked etc.) will be saved but you will lose the characters themselves and things like bag slots you've bought for them or crafting professions you've levelled.

What happens to say all my gold? From your post ive gathered that any xmogs you have are saved...what else is saved that is worth while? Or what do you actually lose by deleting all your characters? Like for example in WoW, if you delete a character, besides xmogs you lose absolutely everything about that character.

@Sicktanick.4369 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:If you're not planning on playing WvW together then your server doesn't matter at all. As long as you're in the same region (NA or EU) you can play together.

What happens to say all my gold? From your post ive gathered that any xmogs you have are saved...what else is saved that is worth while? Or what do you actually lose by deleting all your characters? Like for example in WoW, if you delete a character, besides xmogs you lose absolutely everything about that character.

If your accounts older then a year, its not worth deleting everything just for a free server transfer.

But SOR already a link server, so you'll be paired with other high pop servers to help balance population size. This rotation their paired with Fort Aspenwood, and doing pretty good in T3. Just have your friend join SOR so you can play in the same WvW match ups..... assuming you ever get into it.

Otherwise it doesn't matter beyond EU or NA zones, since PVE works on a Megaserver concept that has all regional players share the same map pools. Sometimes maps overflow into additional instances (especially during scheduled metas), but possible to stay together, or with the squad by the Join Map function from the party UI.

@Sicktanick.4369 said:

If your accounts older then a year, its not worth deleting everything just for a free server transfer.

But SOR already a link server, so you'll be paired with other high pop servers to help balance population size. This rotation their paired with Fort Aspenwood, and doing pretty good in T3. Just have your friend join SOR so you can play in the same WvW match ups..... assuming you ever get into it.

Otherwise it doesn't matter beyond EU or NA zones, since PVE works on a Megaserver concept that has all regional players share the same map pools. Sometimes maps overflow into additional instances (especially during scheduled metas). But easily possible to stay together, or with the squad, by using the Join Map function from the party UI.

Hi,

Your world will only matter if you actively play World vs. World. If you are on the same link as your friends (all NA or all EU, for example) you will have no problem grouping together. The maps are instanced, and sometimes you will be in a version different than that of your friends. You can solve this by partying up and having your friends join you in your instance, or moving to join theirs. Success is determined on if the target map is full or not (usually occurs leading up to metas and/or world bosses).

And another thing is that if you do play World vs. World, chances are your world will be paired/allied with other worlds depending on status and performance of those worlds at link time. So you will also have people to roam with even if the world you are in is a bit lacking. But cost to transfer is usually directly linked to how packed your destination is, if they still accept transfers. Less-dense worlds are often cheaper transfers than more popular ones.

But the gist is this: your world doesn't matter if you don't WvW. You just need your friends to be in the same NA or EU zone as you, and you're gold.