So what was wrong with WvW before Mounts were added?

Knighthonor.4061

Mounts aren't causing its death, really. They're just very poorly implemented and thus cause problems like being able to jump into objectives or completely avoid fights.

For instance, say a mesmer sneaks into North Camp on a borderland. You catch them in the camp, but they stealth, run away and hop on their warclaw. Now you have no practical way to dismount them, so you have no way of stopping them from just turning around and going back into the camp right away. Or, you do manage to dismount them, but they stealth, blink, and remount before the stealth ends. Their CDs are all up by the time you dismount them again.

If they fixed the exploits and refocused it on just moving from point A to point B faster instead of also becoming a tank, it could maybe work out. An after combat mount CD would also be nice.

What upsets people is that they added this despite the very obvious problems it would cause while glibly ignoring so many other long-standing issues.

OP, where did your read that mount is one of the causes of WvW slow death?

All i read were players, those roamers who mained ganker class in WvW and they are super active and vocal in this forum with never ending demands for nerfs to the Warclaw. But none mentioned about quitting or giving up WvW, though i wish they do.

Yes true, since last year, many players truly moved to other games even after playing GW2 for many years, some quit WvW totally, some took a break (may not come back), like myself.

These are the players who got sick of ANet's love for only three meta classes in WvW and the nerf balance team high handled style of killing fun professions and any other professions that challenged their WvW's very own holy trinity.

It's been the same since release. WvW restructure should have happened this year, the fact that there's no roadmap for it probably spells the death of the gamemode. Takes far too long to get balance patches out for WvW leading to metas that last for far too long making it very boring and repetitive. Elite spec power creep. God awful lag spikes when fighting in/with big groups. Rewards suck. Timezone differences means you'll get activity in small time frames. Am i missing anything?

@Brother.1504 said:Population balance and time zone coverages over a 24 cycle are the #1 issues with wvw and have been since launch. Hopefully alliances help with that.

This is it pretty much. I hear the lag can be bad if you're a zergling and if true that is certainly a concern as well . . .

And there's nothing wrong with the mount really, it's just a game mechanic that a certain subset of players were unfit to adapt to. This will always be true of any significant change . . .