Necro as it should — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Necro as it should

Just stating a quick personal opinion on necromancer minions.
I think it should Spawn ghosts and wraiths instead of the current minions.
There are GW1 perfect examples of wraiths that appear in the fissure of orr, I think it's called; and the underworld.

They are a lot scarier than the current zombie like creatures that they have.

Sort of like soul reaver wraiths.
Necros are supposed to be in touch with the spiritual realm, and invoking spirits, ghosts, and wraiths are more suited to them than raising zombie scorpions.
Ok, say they get to keep one zombie type creature, but the rest should be the other type mentioned.

They don't seem quite as scary as they should, except when in ES reaper shroud.

Also, a permanent scythe as a weapon would fit them so well.

Last but not least.
Skills should also be more like invoking dark forces.
Staff whells should have darker effects.
Sometimes it feels like I'm playing with an **emo girl **rather than a proper necromancer as they appear in medieval movies.

I've seen a movie not long ago, in which the main baddie was a female necromancer.
My goodness, that was some scary , dark lilith.
I though, that's how I want my necro to look like.
Another example is the girl from the most recent mummy film.
She's pretty, yet there's something evil and sinister about her.

I would rather have like a sort of skeleton rise that fights with a sword than the current minions.

Anyways.
That's just my silly opinion.
Doesn't mean anything.
Just my personal taste in how I see a necromancer.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

  • JusticeRetroHunter.7684JusticeRetroHunter.7684 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 24, 2019

    "calling on the spirits of the dead, and even death itself, to overpower enemies and assist allies. In sacrificing Health and taking curses and diseases upon themselves, they can deal large amounts of damage to those foolish enough to oppose them. Dead and dying enemies become unwilling allies in their hands. Necromancers have the singular ability to absorb Energy from an enemy’s death, and can raise a fighting force from the corpses of their foes. Curses, which often cost the Necromancer dearly, exact an even greater toll from enemies, who find that their Enchantments and healing skills are rendered useless. Due to the sacrificial nature of their methods, Necromancers must practice patience and self-discipline to survive."

    This is the necromancer's description from guild wars 1 on the wiki. I think this description has lost it's relevancy over time now in gw2, but in a sense you are right. Necromancers from the jump are attuned to the dead, and the dieing. Their spells are meant to twist and manipulate these two things in order to get what they want.

    Now, you mention that they should spawn ghosts and wraiths. Now the thing is, that "the calling of the spirits of the dead" component is actually life force. Life force is essentially the soul power that comes from enemies. So in a sense that's what life force is all about, absorbing the energy of souls which has to deal with spirits. This is almost why it's not completly far fetched to create soul-ghostlike minions by using up life force. Thematically it makes sense and could work.

    Now about the zombie creatures...i actually really like them, especially from gw1 in which they were so god kitten scary. They are basically imperfect creations....abominations of sorts in which their existence is just agonizing and tortuous. Much like Ed and Al's mother from Full metal Alchemist coming back from the dead, these creatures do what you say because they are bound by magic to do so. But without being bound by magic they are ravenous and unyielding. This identity was kinda lost in guild wars 2, and it's lore sort of stripped due to mechanics... but hey it's what we got.

  • Yeah.
    I have to go back to gw1 every now and then, because I miss all the curses and hexes skills from gw1 necro.
    I was playing with my gw1 warrior yesterday, and it reminded me.
    Wow, I can actually use any weapon I want.
    I kinda, slightly, forgotten about that.
    I have my necro as Necro/Paragon; but also sometimes as Necro/Dervish, Necro/Assassin.

    Have to try:
    Dervish/Necro
    With mysticism avatar of Grenth.

    My goodness, so many combos.

  • Ye i think SoulGuardian.6203 right about minions in gw2, they are not terrible (many of them are rats or scorpions), idk why ranger have so many pets, and necro even dont have other combination of minions SKINS. Its not a hard work and it evend dont change balance of fight for example.

  • @nightshadow.7108 said:
    Ye i think SoulGuardian.6203 right about minions in gw2, they are not terrible (many of them are rats or scorpions), idk why ranger have so many pets, and necro even dont have other combination of minions SKINS. Its not a hard work and it evend dont change balance of fight for example.

    Yep, could use same values as current minions, but with different, already existing animations/skins.
    Right; ranger have so many pets.
    I'd like to see more minions and elementals too.
    GW1 has those fire lion creatures that hang around with fire and water djinns; which one of them already is a elemental, so why not the water dervish djinn too?

    I can see myself playing with necro, using wraiths as minions.
    It almost seems impossible that anet actually hasn't decided to do that.
    Kinda mind boggling.

  • Yannir.4132Yannir.4132 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Minions = sacks of animated flesh. Gross and disrespectful but not evil.
    Spirits = souls of dead people. Definitely evil.

    How would you RP as a goody-two-shoes necromancer if you were using the spirit of your dead sister as a minion to do your bidding?

  • derd.6413derd.6413 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Yannir.4132 said:
    Minions = sacks of animated flesh. Gross and disrespectful but not evil.
    Spirits = souls of dead people. Definitely evil.

    How would you RP as a goody-two-shoes necromancer if you were using the spirit of your dead sister as a minion to do your bidding?

    you could even say that minions are good since you're recycling

    I Have No friends, so I Must pug

  • @SoulGuardian.6203 said:

    @nightshadow.7108 said:
    Ye i think SoulGuardian.6203 right about minions in gw2, they are not terrible (many of them are rats or scorpions), idk why ranger have so many pets, and necro even dont have other combination of minions SKINS. Its not a hard work and it evend dont change balance of fight for example.

    Yep, could use same values as current minions, but with different, already existing animations/skins.
    Right; ranger have so many pets.
    I'd like to see more minions and elementals too.
    GW1 has those fire lion creatures that hang around with fire and water djinns; which one of them already is a elemental, so why not the water dervish djinn too?

    I can see myself playing with necro, using wraiths as minions.
    It almost seems impossible that anet actually hasn't decided to do that.
    Kinda mind boggling.

    The reaper profession in itself is practically a wraith (although shares a resemblance to dhuum, which in lore is a being that actually hated the undead...)

    But wraiths were never really given much lore...and they are somewhat different in that they belonged to the class of mesmers despite being considered undead.

    So ya, lore wise we haven’t had much to go on when it came to wraiths for necromancer. The life force mechanic is pretty much all we got when it came to it’s connection with spirits.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.