A return to the Engineer: Share your builds :))

Halbarz.3854

Hi all,

I am still trying to find my way with the engineer, i was wondering if anyone could share their:

• Scrapper and holosmith pve build (dungeons, fractals)
  • Scrapper and holosmith wvw build

I used to play engineer many years ago, I have recently start to gear it up again (got the marks to buy gears) but I am struggling to put a fun build together for Fractals and one for WvW.I am not decided yet on scrapper or holosmith so I was wondering if you folks could share some of your builds with me.

I thank you in advance

@"Halbarz.3854" said:Hi all,

I am still trying to find my way with the engineer, i was wondering if anyone could share their:

I used to play engineer many years ago, I have recently start to gear it up again (got the marks to buy gears) but I am struggling to put a fun build together for Fractals and one for WvW.I am not decided yet on scrapper or holosmith so I was wondering if you folks could share some of your builds with me.

I thank you in advance

• There are scrapper open world builds focused on juggernaut and flamethrower. Wooden Potatoes has one on his channel:
  • For fractals/raids, there is a scrapper healer build I wrote down: https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Scrapper_-_Healing_Scrapper
  • For holosmith in PvE, check snowcrows website. They usually have the most up-to-date DPS builds

I don't know enough about WvW to comment.

@Vagrant.7206 said:

I thank you in advance
  • There are scrapper open world builds focused on juggernaut and flamethrower. Wooden Potatoes has one on his channel:
  • For fractals/raids, there is a scrapper healer build I wrote down:
  • For holosmith in PvE, check snowcrows website. They usually have the most up-to-date DPS builds

That wooden potatoes build doesn't explain gear?

@Dante.1508 said:

I thank you in advance

You can generally assume Vipers for hybrid builds. But that build is intended for open world, where gear isn't the end of the world. Rabid would do just fine too.

@Vagrant.7206 said:

I thank you in advance

You can generally assume Vipers for hybrid builds. But that build is intended for open world, where gear isn't the end of the world. Rabid would do just fine too.

I assumed that as well but when he moused over a bit it was berserker..https://imgur.com/a/1J1SHUZ

@Dante.1508 said:

I thank you in advance

I assumed that as well but when he moused over a bit it was berserker..

Well you can clearly see in the stats that its full zerker...

More than likely to make maximum use of the flamethrower multiple hits, quickness and barrier build up. Which should work fine in open world against braindead NPCs. Just stand and barrier tank with max dps.

Personally I would have tried to get some boon duration in there, but maybe its enough without.

Hardest part about writing any build advice for the engineer is that they're very flexible. I change traits and utilities on the fly. However, this is the current PVE build I run:

Gear: Full BerserkerWeapons: Sword + ShieldRunes: Scholar x6Sigils: Force + Impact

Traits:Explosives: Glass Cannon, Big Boomer, Orbital CommandFirearms: High Caliber, No Scope, Modified AmmunitionHolosmith: Solar Focusing Lens, Crystal Configuration Eclipse, Enhanced Capacity Storage Unit

Utilities: Healing Turret, Grenade Kit, Elixir U, Laser Disk, Prime Light Beam

Yes, it is pretty sheep-ish to the meta. If you want a more braindead version of this build, replace Glass Cannon with Blasting Zone and Enhanced Capacity Storage Unit with Photonic Blasting Module. This will lower peak performance, but it is easier to play.

The utilities get swapped out depending on what is needed. The grenade kit is the closest thing to being mandatory, since it gives ranged options and a strong toolbelt skill.Everything else depends on the situation:

Bomb Kit: Used for the blind field and wide AoE damage. Useful against a lot of adds.Personal Battering Ram: This is for a lot of extra CC.Rifle Turret: This is used mostly for the toolbelt skill. Rifle turret is default of nothing else is needed.Elixir U: It has quickness and a stun break. Don't use this if your teammates give you a lot of quickness.Hard Light Arena: Strangely good as a n00b carry. Used if you need protection and to pull enemies.Photon Wall: Useful in projectile heavy areas. Mostly the uncategorized fractal.Rocket Boots: Strange I know, but sometimes you really need the mobility. This is a godsend against something like Turai Ossa.Net Turret: It's rare (mostly volcanic), but sometimes you'll need a lot of immobilize.Flamethrower: This is the best mob tagging weapon in the game. It has select overworld uses.Elixir S: The invulnerability and stealth is needed sometimes.Laser Disk: This is good for pure damage.Supply Crate: This is a strong CC, and the blind field it pulses is pretty useful, too.Mortar Kit: this is useful in places like the Colossus fractal where you need a lot of blinding fields in a short amount of time.

As you can see, that is more than half of the utilities. In general, you'll want to go grenade kit, rifle turret, laser disk, and prime light beam unless you need something specific. All of the prep aside, playing the build can get pretty braindead, albeit heavy on the hands. You go into photon forge and just start bashing thing's heads in. Corona Burst and Photon Blitz off Cooldown, Holographic Shockwave to control groups of enemies, and use all the of the DPS toolbelt skills off cooldown. Wait for 50 heat before using the exceed skills. Fight until you get to nearly maximum heat (around the 145 mark) and then use sword + grenade kit until you get to half heat (75 or so). It takes some practice to manage the heat, but you'll get it eventually.

I prefer this to any scrapper build. Though the flamethrower and barrier generation make scrapper pretty braindead to play, the scraper lacks impact. Holosmith hits harder, faster, and longer.

Here are the Scrapper WVW builds I use for solo roaming or in groups 2-5:

Power DPS Scrapper: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PeQAIlRwcYVML2Je6SatOA-zVZYBRByDMIQxwFcGtpAqTCoxDSYsAeLj+aB-w

• Straight-forward buff up and hit with the hammer. Combo hammer 3 with lightning fields for CC. Hammer 2 is huge burst.
  • Rotate your boons properly and you can easily 1v2 most condi/power duos except for extremely bursty builds like FA or Berserker (even then, there is plenty of room to play properly by kiting and win these 1v2's)
  • Remember to use SUPERSPEED! Function gyro is pretty useless for rez/stomp. Use it for superspeed to kite or chase (or an extra lightning field to combo off of).
  • Your heal/heal toolbelt is on-demand cleanse and damage reduction. Keep hitting to get all the barrier :)
  • Necros/boon corrupt is scary. If you have to fight a boon corrupt necro, you need to bait out all of their stunbreaks or burst them down before they can react (unlikely).

Power Memethrower Scrapper: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PeQAIlZwcYdMLWJW+SatOA-zRZYBRBiDMIQxwNcGBKB6VBoxDSYsBeLj+aB-e

• Meme-ish power flamethrower build. Enough damage and sustain to MEMEv1 against all builds except for burst condi builds (specifically burn guards).
  • You generate enough might/stab/barrier to just FT auto squishier roamer classes like glass thief, glass ranger, and power mesmer. You will lose to some tankier DPS specs like certain flavors of soulbeast with Protective Ward.
  • You have enough AOE damage that many times you WANT to MEMEv2+ squishier roamer classes. You have enough DPS to take the pressure off and you do enough damage to (re)generate loads of might and barrier.
  • Swap to hammer to deal some huge burst with Hammer 2 or to CC (think the highest I got against a thief was 16k whirl? Think across all my fights it averages around 9-10k). Note that when you have fury, you have +150 ferocity. Try to time it for big numbers.
  • Necros/boon corrupt is still uber scary.
  • It's a fun build :D

General tips:

• You can use Hammer 3 to dodge through scary channeled skills like Rev Unrelenting Assault. If you pop bulwark in the middle of it, you can also force the Rev into a dodge at the end of the channel to avoid a stun + hammer 2 burst.
  • Stealth gyro breaks Rev Unrelenting Assault (and I think Smokescale assault)

Holosmith IMO is pretty boring. There isn't too much fun variation outside of prot or tools holo due to the interactions with the forge.

• Can try swapping toolkit for Photon Wall for that core nostalgia + pull + prybar lulz
  • Can go full static-discharge gadgets for some fun

EDIT: More tips

• When fighting a backstab thief, get ready to use Elixir U + Hammer 2 + Bulwark + Hammer 3. 90% of the time, backstab thieves will stick to your back and can hit them with a nasty burst. Afterwards, often times they will dodge back to disengage and you can pursue with Hammer 3. If they don't use a shadowstep or all their dodges, you should be able to reach them and potentially stun them, forcing them to shadowstep or die.
  • Staff DD are annoying. Only thing you can really do is time a whirl against the bunnyhop to force a disengage, dodge, or kite
  • Longbow/GS rangers are tasty prey. Pop Bulwark Dome and close the distance to whack. If they don't have all of their mobility skills off CD, you should be able to catch and kill using superspeed.
  • Hammer 2 is also a reflect. It's funny to use it against a Death's Judgment or Longbow 2
  • Holosmiths are kind of scary. You need a combination of kiting and blocks (against Forge 2, 4, and 5). Once you're in your melee distance (assuming you didn't get hit by Forge 2), you should be in the perfect position to exchange blows with the Holo. The whirl's barrier should make up for some of the lost health in the exchange. This will probably force the Holo to disengage and you can pursue. Be aware of their CDs and begin kiting once Forge 2, 3 and 5 are up b/c the Holo will probably turn at the moment and try to kill you.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

I thank you in advance

I assumed that as well but when he moused over a bit it was berserker..

Well you can clearly see in the stats that its full zerker...

More than likely to make maximum use of the flamethrower multiple hits, quickness and barrier build up. Which should work fine in open world against braindead NPCs. Just stand and barrier tank with max dps.

Personally I would have tried to get some boon duration in there, but maybe its enough without.

If its full zerker how does he get 16k health when i go full zerk i have just 14k.. BTW that build is terrible against ranged mobs. and AoEs

What I'm using atm.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PegAoqlRwcYdsG2Je6SqtTA-zVRYcRDjM4zoXJQHKAJfQChNwbZRXL-w

In larger groups I trade for shield and gyroscopic acceleration. Occasionally change ft for tk but I love the flamer. Just watch to not use auto in big fights for retaliation reasons, I more use it to add to the cleave on multiple downs.

@Dante.1508 said:

I thank you in advance

He does explain gear in a separate video to save the time of going through gears in every build video

@hlaraujo.3210 said:

I thank you in advance

He does explain gear in a separate video to save the time of going through gears in every build video

Thanks informative hope he does a condi version at some point.