Appeal of the Russian-speaking community Guild Wars 2 - Page 4 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Appeal of the Russian-speaking community Guild Wars 2

Comments

• Ben K.6238Ben K.6238 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

@Rognik.2579 said:
    This is only half-true. They could tap a player to hire as a translator. But vetting someone as a translator is a difficult thing, and not something to be done lightly.

Of course that's an option and when things start to happen, errors, bugs, and worse .. it is ANET that get left with egg face and have to sort it out.. not worth the risk from that point of view imo… better to hire/employ a pro and ANET take full control and responsibility, but can they, should they, will they.. only ANET know the answer.

Yeah, for that reason moderation tends to be handled by paid employees.

There is always content that won't be actioned because it makes no sense, even if it's written in English by someone who's very, very inebriated. ANet doesn't have to do moderation in real-time so they're quite capable of dealing with reports on Cyrillic content via translation (which I imagine they already do for reports on Korean, Tagalog etc.).

• @Ben K.6238 said:

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

@Rognik.2579 said:
    This is only half-true. They could tap a player to hire as a translator. But vetting someone as a translator is a difficult thing, and not something to be done lightly.

Of course that's an option and when things start to happen, errors, bugs, and worse .. it is ANET that get left with egg face and have to sort it out.. not worth the risk from that point of view imo… better to hire/employ a pro and ANET take full control and responsibility, but can they, should they, will they.. only ANET know the answer.

There is always content that won't be actioned because it makes no sense, even if it's written in English by someone who's very, very inebriated. ANet doesn't have to do moderation in real-time so they're quite capable of dealing with reports on Cyrillic content via translation (which I imagine they already do for reports on Korean, Tagalog etc.).

It's not just moderation .. just utilising player modding or unvetted persons to perform the translational serves etc comes with its own risks, so I wouldn't think ANET would even consider outside services from within the player community.

Life is what YOU make it... NOT what others tell you!

• Catchyfx.5768Catchyfx.5768 Member ✭✭✭

For me its ok to.have it. If you add it to the chat only i dont see any problems. 40k is a lot. Outside of Dota and cs russians are very friendly, so you dont have to be scared of "cyka" spam :lol:

Let ticket system be without ru language and you dont have to hire new ppls. Jusr add it to the chat

Jokaurene

• AlexVv.3965AlexVv.3965 Member ✭✭✭

@yoni.7015 said:

@EyeQ.9724 said:

But what about ru-community? They don't have it at all :(

They didn’t have it for the last seven years and it was not a problem.

It was a real problem, and a serious one. If you do not want to see the Cyrillic alphabet in the general chat, this is easily solved - just add a filter to the chat "show only Latin alphabet", as suggested above - voila, you will not have any problems:)

• I really wanted to go through this storyline, all the tests and close all the "hearts" in each location. But I understood almost nothing in the English text. I wanted to ask other players what to do in the quest and what kind of objects they are, but it is impossible to communicate in a chat using transcriptions. This is extremely, extremely sad. Enter the Cyrillic! Please!

• Astralporing.1957Astralporing.1957 Member ✭✭✭✭

Be careful what you ask for, or Anet will give it to you. Monetizing the kitten out of it.

The whole point of a social game is to play with the people you want to play with, not be forced to play with the people you don't.

• Bloodstealer.5978Bloodstealer.5978 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Ol Nik.2518 said:

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

@Ben K.6238 said:

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

@Rognik.2579 said:

It's not just moderation .. just utilising player modding or unvetted persons to perform the translational serves etc comes with its own risks, so I wouldn't think ANET would even consider outside services from within the player community.

I wonder why so many people assume that support for Unicode or just Cyrillic ought to involve moderation, technical support, and so on...
    Google, Apple, Microsoft, and other big companies support hundreds of languages. However, technical support is provided only in a couple of dozens or so languages. Google does not really have support (FAQ only, available in a very limited selection of languages) for free customers.

ArenaNet does not have to provide moderation, conflict resolution, and such. They can provide their services 'as is' and just mention it in their TOS. It is a common practice to limit support.

Because at the end of the day when issues arise whether intended or by accident it is ANET that have to carry the can, which is something they would likely want to avoid. Aside from that there will always be a need for them to justify any time/cost they put into this.
    If there is anything we have learned this last few years, it is that ANET are looking every which way they can to open revenue streams within the game to profit from. Add to the more recent issues with layoffs, it kinda spells out a need to run a tight ship and not put efforts in to anything which does not offer a viable return for them as much as it might be good for a portion of the player base.

• Ol Nik.2518Ol Nik.2518 Member ✭✭✭

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

@Ol Nik.2518 said:

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

@Ben K.6238 said:

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

@Rognik.2579 said:

I wonder why so many people assume that support for Unicode or just Cyrillic ought to involve moderation, technical support, and so on...
    Google, Apple, Microsoft, and other big companies support hundreds of languages. However, technical support is provided only in a couple of dozens or so languages. Google does not really have support (FAQ only, available in a very limited selection of languages) for free customers.

ArenaNet does not have to provide moderation, conflict resolution, and such. They can provide their services 'as is' and just mention it in their TOS. It is a common practice to limit support.

Because at the end of the day when issues arise whether intended or by accident it is ANET that have to carry the can, which is something they would likely want to avoid. Aside from that there will always be a need for them to justify any time/cost they put into this.
    If there is anything we have learned this last few years, it is that ANET are looking every which way they can to open revenue streams within the game to profit from. Add to the more recent issues with layoffs, it kinda spells out a need to run a tight ship and not put efforts in to anything which does not offer a viable return for them as much as it might be good for a portion of the player base.

Unicode support in chats (we are not talking about additional language localisations here) would most likely increase revenue for ArenaNet since more people would be willing to play a game where they can communicate normally.

Please note that the majority of people living outside of English-speaking countries understand that support for their language in chats does not come with full-language support. This is not something unusual, it's a normal practice for them. There are very few video game and software companies offering support in multiple languages.

• Bloodstealer.5978Bloodstealer.5978 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Ol Nik.2518 said:

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

@Ol Nik.2518 said:

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

@Ben K.6238 said:

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

@Rognik.2579 said:

Unicode support in chats (we are not talking about additional language localisations here) would most likely increase revenue for ArenaNet since more people would be willing to play a game where they can communicate normally.

Please note that the majority of people living outside of English-speaking countries understand that support for their language in chats does not come with full-language support. This is not something unusual, it's a normal practice for them. There are very few video game and software companies offering support in multiple languages.

I agree and I have no issue with them implementing it, but if things go wrong.. especially if utilising outside resource to help implement or just support it then its invariably ANET that carry the can for it as it is their product at the end of the day.
    Can it be done.. absolutely
    Should it be done.. yes, I don't understand why it wasn't there right out of the box
    Will it be done 7 years later … perhaps, if it is deemed financially viable and justifies the time/cost to do it and then support it after.
    Where does in fall in terms of the studio's priorities.. well that's a big question in its own right I guess.

• ArenaNet. Please add the Cyrillic alphabet to the guild chat! This is all that We (the Russian community) ask for! To translate only a store for the purchase of supplements and gems - it looks like selfishness and discrimination (Just ... add ... the Cyrillic alphabet .... If you do not see the benefit in this, it is very disappointing for you. So it will not be profitable for us to play this if your feet wipe us like that.
    I apologize for the English, I do not know it perfectly, so that they can communicate with other people in the game!
    I am from Russia and I'm sorry that I ask so little to add the Cyrillic alphabet ...
    (Google Translite)

• Hello ArenaNet. Please add the Cyrillic alphabet to the chat!

• Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Ol Nik.2518 said:

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

@Ben K.6238 said:

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

@Rognik.2579 said:

Anet do have to provide those services as they have said many times previously themselves. Adding unmoderated chat vs existing moderated chat would be a move they would never make.

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

@Randulf.7614 said:

@Ol Nik.2518 said:

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

@Ben K.6238 said:

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

@Rognik.2579 said:

Anet do have to provide those services as they have said many times previously themselves. Adding unmoderated chat vs existing moderated chat would be a move they would never make.

They already cannot moderate chat... No support for a specific writing system =/= everybody uses English/German/French/Spanish.

• Anet, please help us communicate in our native language <3

• Linken.6345Linken.6345 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Ol Nik.2518 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:

@Ol Nik.2518 said:

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

@Ben K.6238 said:

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

@Rognik.2579 said:

They already cannot moderate chat... No support for a specific writing system =/= everybody uses English/German/French/Spanish.

And they got people who can read all those languages already.

• Please, ArenaNet let it be!

• i think we deserve to speak on our native language

@Rarog.7521 said:
    i think we deserve to speak on our native language

Use discord and speak how much you want typing in game is a whole diffrent beast.

• Ben K.6238Ben K.6238 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Linken.6345 said:

@Ol Nik.2518 said:

And they got people who can read all those languages already.

They don't have people who can read all the other languages that use Latin characters, so they'd just use the same procedure as the other unsupported languages.

• I support the author, I want Anet to listen to Russian players, I do not speak English well and therefore I would like to speak Russian in groups with Russian players, because I don’t understand the languages ​​of other countries and this causes confusion. Anet enter please Cyrilice

• Anet, please, if you decide to add Cyrillic alphabet to the game, keep it out of map+say chat, lfg and especially character names. And add some kind of block to Latin-only letters filter (similar to Only English one). There are many people who wouldn’t like to see alien symbols in this game.

• Aeon.4583Aeon.4583 Member ✭✭✭

@Glaswen.7926 said:
    alien symbols

... :'(

• yoni.7015yoni.7015 Member ✭✭✭

If they add Cyrillic that would destroy the Server communities because then part of the servers uses different letters.

• EyeQ.9724EyeQ.9724 Member ✭✭

I'll just repeat it one more time:

And no more problems for those, who don't want read cyrillic letters. Easy, right? And everybody's happy.

• EyeQ.9724EyeQ.9724 Member ✭✭
    edited October 3, 2019

Take a look at 'Show Only English' checkbox - this option already exists! Everything is ready for possibility to use ANY language in chat, because you always can filter it to 'Only English'. God, you can do it now already, just imagine! So what's your problem, guys, who talk that they don't want to see 'abracadabra' in chat? It's not the real problem, admit it?

@EyeQ.9724 said:
    I'll just repeat it one more time:

And no more problems for those, who don't want read cyrillic letters. Easy, right? And everybody's happy.

Yes if they would add a “show no Cyrillic” it would be a good solution.

edited October 3, 2019

@yoni.7015 said:

=) =) =) =) =) =) you just killed me!
    'Only English' suppose to be 100% 'no Cyrillic' because there is not even a single Cyrillic symbol in English alphabet ( by code means ).

@Aeon.4583 said:

@yoni.7015 said:

=) =) =) =) =) =) you just killed me!
    'Only English' suppose to be 100% 'no Cyrillic' because there is not even a single Cyrillic symbol in English alphabet ( by code means ).

But doesn’t it mean “only English” so other European languages won’t show?

edited October 3, 2019

@yoni.7015 said:
    But doesn’t it mean “only English” so other European languages won’t show?

Don't know how it will work with Spanish, but.
    Let me show example.
    If you go to twitch and type Kappa with latin, and Кappa using one Cyrillic K, there will be no Kappa emote. So, simple meaning here, that this 'Only English' will hide all Cyrillic symbols, even if they are same-looking symbols. Latin K, and Cyrillic K have different 2-bit code. And by extension, 'Only English' will hide Cyrillic К.

edited October 3, 2019

Guys, i am sorry if i offend anyone here, but it is well known for me that Cyrillic and Latin sylmbols have mutually exclusive code, whatever it is hex or 2-bit. But there is one thing that bothers me still. It is Gemstore that can decode Cyrillic.

If i am not wrong, in-game Gemstore is managed by CoherentUI_Host.exe, that starts with GW2*.exe ( gw2 is not the only one with that, btw )
    It seems that CoherentUI_Host.exe has zero problems working with Cyrillic ( in youtbe video, you can see Gemstore accepting Cyrillic ), and since it is already implemented into the game, this process can serve as a host to decode Cyrillic symbols into chats. It is highly possible that full-scale code change is not needed.

@Aeon.4583 said:
    Guys, i am sorry if i offend anyone here, but it is well known for me that Cyrillic and Latin sylmbols have mutually exclusive code, whatever it is hex or 2-bit. But there is one thing that bothers me still. It is Gemstore that can decode Cyrillic.

If i am not wrong, in-game Gemstore is managed by CoherentUI_Host.exe, that starts with GW2*.exe ( gw2 is not the only one with that, btw )
    It seems that CoherentUI_Host.exe has zero problems working with Cyrillic ( in youtbe video, you can see Gemstore accepting Cyrillic ), and since it is already implemented into the game, this process can serve as a host to decode Cyrillic symbols into chats. It is highly possible that full-scale code change is not needed.

The gemstore is basicly a browser window open up in game mate, thats why it can show cyrillic.

• Hello to all! I've been in the game for 4 years. There are no other games on my computer ... yes, I can be called monogamous in relation to GW2. I love this game ... I am not confused by the lack of localization in Russian, but I would really appreciate it if they add support for the Cyrillic alphabet. This would be very useful for communication with their fellow countrymen. I’ve been running around Tyria for 4 years ... but some content is still not available to me. it's raids ... they communicate in German, Spanish, English ... it's complicated content, mutual understanding is necessary, so it is not available to me. Dear developers, please add Cyrillic support! thank))

• @Drevin.5392 said:
    Hello to all! I've been in the game for 4 years. There are no other games on my computer ... yes, I can be called monogamous in relation to GW2. I love this game ... I am not confused by the lack of localization in Russian, but I would really appreciate it if they add support for the Cyrillic alphabet. This would be very useful for communication with their fellow countrymen. I’ve been running around Tyria for 4 years ... but some content is still not available to me. it's raids ... they communicate in German, Spanish, English ... it's complicated content, mutual understanding is necessary, so it is not available to me. Dear developers, please add Cyrillic support! thank))

Just saying...wouldn't you need several Cyrillic-using people in the Raid group for this to make a difference? And, if the Raid group is mostly Cyrillic-using players, can't you use Discord or something, then?

Because just adding Cyrillic to chat won't help in a Raid group if most are communicating in German, Spanish, English.

• noviiparen.8163noviiparen.8163 Member ✭✭
    edited October 4, 2019

And whats stoping you guys that are probabely in a russian guild (if not its still a community out there clearly if you can get 40k signatures for a pettition) , to get 9 other from said russian community fire up a discord/teamspeak/mumble etc server and start raiding?

In raid encounters you dont want to type on the keyboard anyway.

Nothing to stop us. But there are 400+ people in my guild. Every day they ask something in the chat. Every day they talk or just write some kind of jokes to amuse each other. Some people may not be in the voice during the game. All people have different circumstances. I faintly imagine a guild, 100% of the participants of which sit in discord during the game. Let's not lie to each other .....

@noviiparen.8163 said:

And whats stoping you guys that are probabely in a russian guild (if not its still a community out there clearly if you can get 40k signatures for a pettition) , to get 9 other from said russian community fire up a discord/teamspeak/mumble etc server and start raiding?

In raid encounters you dont want to type on the keyboard anyway.

Nothing to stop us. But there are 400+ people in my guild. Every day they ask something in the chat. Every day they talk or just write some kind of jokes to amuse each other. Some people may not be in the voice during the game. All people have different circumstances. I faintly imagine a guild, 100% of the participants of which sit in discord during the game. Let's not lie to each other .....

Well since the game cant handle your languange why not type in a client who can?
    I mean if its that much of a hassel to understand, the guild seem to have been growing just fine to 400 in what was it 4 years you played?

• I am not a member of the guild. if you mean me. post above on my behalf.

• I hope ArenaNet will hear us

Wow now I think you are going too far with your insults and hatred against Western European players.

• AlexVv.3965AlexVv.3965 Member ✭✭✭

@noviiparen.8163 said:
    I read some comments and I get the feeling that some individuals have privatized the game and consider it their property. They have the right to indicate to whom and in what language to speak. Guild Wars 2 has always been, is and I hope will remain an international game! And this is not a place for a showdown! I appreciate and respect all the players who value and respect me. This is called "mutual respect."

I got the same impression. This is strange. This game does not personally belong to any of the participants in this discussion. We (Russian-speaking players), for the most part, just like the others, bought Vanilla GW2 in due time, then the next two extensions. We bought gems at the store. We, like everyone else, took part in supporting and developing our favorite game. We are NOT poor relatives, who came here to beg for a free bowl of soup:) We are the same players as everyone else. And we have every right to express our proposals and requests. In a respectful, mind you, form.

• Guys, I advise everyone to reduce their ardor ... we must remain apolitical in some matters and not incite interracial disputes. (davayte budem umnee v dostizhenii nashei celi);)

• Wow. Are you posting under two names, then? Drevin and noviiparen?

Because I am absolutely certain I replied to Drevin and not noviiparen. Perhaps, a step back is indicated.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:
    Wow. Are you posting under two names, then? Drevin and noviiparen?

Because I am absolutely certain I replied to Drevin and not noviiparen. Perhaps, a step back is indicated.

You replied to both of them at one point or another. They talk about different things. Drevin was talking about raids and noviiparen was talking about guild chat and general communication. I guess it is just a misunderstanding on all parts.

• I expressed only "MY" point of view. I gave an "EXAMPLE" of how Cyrillic would help me with regard to raid content. I don’t understand why some people distort the essence of my post and mix with others... Raids are not the only thing where I would like to communicate in my native language. Why do I need a discord or a timespeak? Think I do not know what it is and how to use it? and in the end, let's leave the solution to this question (adding Cyrillic) for ANET? I look forward to a positive response from the developers or ... negative.

@Ol Nik.2518 said:

@yoni.7015 said:
    This is nonsense. To accuse someone here that he uses the rhetoric of H. is awful and wrong! Is this how you deal with different opinions? I am not a native English speaker as well but I learned it in school and use it very often, watch movies in English and so on. I have absolutely no problems to communicate in game in English or to read in the wiki in English. Why can’t you do the same? Believe me, knowing English is important in our time.

You also said this:

@yoni.7015 said:
    If they add Cyrillic that would destroy the Server communities because then part of the servers uses different letters.

Yes, since launch we had only Latin letters on European servers, if they now after more than seven years would add Cyrillic, in my opinion it would not be good for the server community.
    And community is important in a mmo.

• @Ol Nik.2518 said:

@yoni.7015 said:

@Ol Nik.2518 said:

@yoni.7015 said:
    This is nonsense. To accuse someone here that he uses the rhetoric of H. is awful and wrong! Is this how you deal with different opinions? I am not a native English speaker as well but I learned it in school and use it very often, watch movies in English and so on. I have absolutely no problems to communicate in game in English or to read in the wiki in English. Why can’t you do the same? Believe me, knowing English is important in our time.

You also said this:

@yoni.7015 said:

Yes, since launch we had only Latin letters on European servers, if they now after more than seven years would add Cyrillic, in my opinion it would not be good for the server community.

You are not quite right here. GW2 chat supports Korean and Traditional Chinese. Please, go to this website and try to copy and paste phrases from different languages to see how they are supported.

I also wonder if you understand how your argument sounds. You use very dangerous rhetoric that has plenty of precedents in history.

Oh friend, I’m absolutely sure that the community manager is aware of our appeal. It entered the top 10 posts of the week on Reddit. This forum is one of the most popular topics. Also, ArenaNet was approached by a large gaming portal from Russia (to the company's media service). I understand that developers have more important things to do than the introduction of the Cyrillic alphabet. We are adults and understand everything perfectly. But the administration is simply ignoring us. We were not even answered at the level: "Hello! We have received your appeal! We will reply later!" After all, I ask this not for myself personally. I ask on behalf of thousands of people. They closely monitor the appeal, read the forum. In Russia, in general, all the major news sites talked about this.

@noviiparen.8163 said:

@Ol Nik.2518 said:

@yoni.7015 said:

@Ol Nik.2518 said:

@yoni.7015 said:

You also said this:

@yoni.7015 said:

You are not quite right here. GW2 chat supports Korean and Traditional Chinese. Please, go to this website and try to copy and paste phrases from different languages to see how they are supported.

I also wonder if you understand how your argument sounds. You use very dangerous rhetoric that has plenty of precedents in history.

Oh friend, I’m absolutely sure that the community manager is aware of our appeal. It entered the top 10 posts of the week on Reddit. This forum is one of the most popular topics. Also, ArenaNet was approached by a large gaming portal from Russia (to the company's media service). I understand that developers have more important things to do than the introduction of the Cyrillic alphabet. We are adults and understand everything perfectly. But the administration is simply ignoring us. We were not even answered at the level: "Hello! We have received your appeal! We will reply later!" After all, I ask this not for myself personally. I ask on behalf of thousands of people. They closely monitor the appeal, read the forum. In Russia, in general, all the major news sites talked about this.

It seems that support for Cyrillic might be just a matter of font. Unfortunately, I cannot get my hands on the fonts the game uses to verify this. I tried many different languages in chat and it seems that only right-to-left writing systems (like Arabic) not only not rendered but are not processed correctly. Russian, Bulgarian, Serbian, and alike show correct punctuation and spaces for glyphs that cannot be rendered. It might be worth looking into this to advance your cause.

As for media, I do not think that the Russian press can do much here. ArenaNet is a US company. Maybe if you try to contact the EU or US gaming media you will get better luck. Although I would approach it from the 'full Unicode support and undue burden placed on European players who happened to live in a country with non-Latin based alphabets' point of view. Something like that might get more traction.

• noviiparen.8163noviiparen.8163 Member ✭✭
    edited October 5, 2019

Hello!

Last week, I published an appeal to ArenaNet on behalf of the Russian-speaking community, Guild Vars 2. This post is still in the top discussions. I did not write to you personally in the hope of your answer, but, unfortunately, I did not wait for it. In this regard, I have several questions:

1. Are you aware of this appeal and its contents?

2. Was this appeal discussed with the management of ArenaNet?

3. What decision was made after considering the appeal?

Respectfully,
    Alexander INOY Frolov.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.