[merged] I want to keep using Arc Build Templates... :/ — Guild Wars 2 Forums

[merged] I want to keep using Arc Build Templates... :/

ProverbsofHell.2307ProverbsofHell.2307 Member ✭✭✭✭
edited October 24, 2019 in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

So I've been served very well and I've been happily using ArcDPS build templates already for the past two years. It works great, and has became a popular tool I use a lot to change builds. I have been able to change into many different types of builds (I have 8 saved) and I haven't had to pay for it.

From what I understand, Arc Build Templates will no longer work for me when GW2 Build Templates goes live. Not only will I have to pay for this to achieve a similar level of functionality, I will actually have access to less builds.

This should be a great feature... so why do I just feel sad and disappointed? I'm not excited for your build template system. It actually makes me sad.

<1345678

Comments

  • borgs.6103borgs.6103 Member ✭✭✭

    @solemn.9608 said:

    @susana.7814 said:

    @yoni.7015 said:
    Why open another thread? There is an existing one.

    Probably because people want to actually be heard.

    Right on.


    [spoiler]> @Arenanet said:

    At release, each character will get three Build Template tabs, which will be preloaded with their existing equipped builds from PvE, PvP, and WvW. You can swap the contents of the Build Template tabs for use in any game mode or purchase more tabs from the Gem Store.

    No thanks. I am not going to pay for the full functionality of a function that is already available to everyone; because you took so long to make it that someone, on their own free time, already made a very well functioning build templates add-on with unlimited "tabs". I sincerely hope you don't plan on making the use of this add-on an offense.

    I would urge "this is fine" voters to consider that just because you didn't use [omitted title] doesn't mean it wasn't incredibly useful and valuable to many in the gw2 community. You may be siding with a sizable injustice to portions of our community by saying "this is OK" (see footer note/edit)

    I can think of another popular MMORPG that, instead of doing this, ended up incorporating add-ons in the game and encouraged making helpful/useful add-ons. You don't need to vouch for the add-on as professionals... but you simply just needed to allow it to exist. Instead, because you guys wanted to do it yourselves, we're now paying for what we already had easy and consistent access to, because you wanted to monetize it. Ok, so we get a little perk in saving inventory space, but all I want is to not have this be forced on me. I already have the functionality of build templates, if you disallow that, and enforce your build templates functionality, you are forcing me to buy the inventory slots gained by using your option. Don't get me wrong, it's a good idea. But I'm left with no choice but to give you money. Even if I'm willing to do that, I defy that on principle.

    Mounts in WvW was one thing. We adjusted to it, even though we did not want to.
    If you make this pay-for-full-functionality I will lose faith that I shouldn't still have to begin with.

    Taking a screenshot of this post & saving it. Why? Well, you know how it is here.

    edit: wording, and: note that if we are still allowed to use [omitted title] after this release, I won't mind so much. I can look past that easily, if this condition is met.[/spoiler]

    Yeah, keep using ArcDPS and occupy 940923840923 bag slots for you gear. Exaggerating, of course.

    Exploit people's good will and optimism.

  • Obtena.7952Obtena.7952 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I still want my grey market satellite service too ... but you know.

    If you think balancing is only driven by performance and justified by comparisons to other classes then prepare to be educated:

    https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/balance-updates-the-heralds-near-future-and-pvp-league-season-13/

  • Eddbopkins.2630Eddbopkins.2630 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Why won't arc build work anymore?

  • vyncius.6105vyncius.6105 Member ✭✭✭

    @Eddbopkins.2630 said:
    Why won't arc build work anymore?

    Delta (arc creator) had agreenment with anet that he will not update his templates, when anet release theirs

  • Eddbopkins.2630Eddbopkins.2630 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @vyncius.6105 said:

    @Eddbopkins.2630 said:
    Why won't arc build work anymore?

    Delta (arc creator) had agreenment with anet that he will not update his templates, when anet release theirs

    I see
    But what I'm seeing is that new new anet template will be a far cry in abilities then what arc has?

  • Khisanth.2948Khisanth.2948 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 1, 2019

    @Eddbopkins.2630 said:
    Why won't arc build work anymore?

    https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/cz1rrb/build_templates_only_available_with_legendary/eywxzz9/

    This. One of the conditions to ANet allowing my templates extension was that I let it die when an official solution comes around, and that condition hasn't changed

    >

    @Eddbopkins.2630 said:

    @vyncius.6105 said:

    @Eddbopkins.2630 said:
    Why won't arc build work anymore?

    Delta (arc creator) had agreenment with anet that he will not update his templates, when anet release theirs

    I see
    But what I'm seeing is that new new anet template will be a far cry in abilities then what arc has?

    better in someways but also worse in others

  • @susana.7814 said:

    @yoni.7015 said:
    Why open another thread? There is an existing one.

    Probably because people want to actually be heard.

    You are less likely to be heard if you contributing to flooding the forums with dupe threads instead of posting in an already created one.

  • SexyMofo.8923SexyMofo.8923 Member ✭✭✭

    Go for it.

  • Ol Nik.2518Ol Nik.2518 Member ✭✭✭

    @vyncius.6105 said:
    arc was unlimited, free, easy to use.

    This is only true if you play on Windows. If you play on Mac or Linux you have to jump through a lot of hoops to make it work. It is also not free for Mac users if they want it to work well.

  • sokeenoppa.5384sokeenoppa.5384 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @borgs.6103 said:

    @solemn.9608 said:

    @susana.7814 said:

    @yoni.7015 said:
    Why open another thread? There is an existing one.

    Probably because people want to actually be heard.

    Right on.


    [spoiler]> @Arenanet said:

    At release, each character will get three Build Template tabs, which will be preloaded with their existing equipped builds from PvE, PvP, and WvW. You can swap the contents of the Build Template tabs for use in any game mode or purchase more tabs from the Gem Store.

    No thanks. I am not going to pay for the full functionality of a function that is already available to everyone; because you took so long to make it that someone, on their own free time, already made a very well functioning build templates add-on with unlimited "tabs". I sincerely hope you don't plan on making the use of this add-on an offense.

    I would urge "this is fine" voters to consider that just because you didn't use [omitted title] doesn't mean it wasn't incredibly useful and valuable to many in the gw2 community. You may be siding with a sizable injustice to portions of our community by saying "this is OK" (see footer note/edit)

    I can think of another popular MMORPG that, instead of doing this, ended up incorporating add-ons in the game and encouraged making helpful/useful add-ons. You don't need to vouch for the add-on as professionals... but you simply just needed to allow it to exist. Instead, because you guys wanted to do it yourselves, we're now paying for what we already had easy and consistent access to, because you wanted to monetize it. Ok, so we get a little perk in saving inventory space, but all I want is to not have this be forced on me. I already have the functionality of build templates, if you disallow that, and enforce your build templates functionality, you are forcing me to buy the inventory slots gained by using your option. Don't get me wrong, it's a good idea. But I'm left with no choice but to give you money. Even if I'm willing to do that, I defy that on principle.

    Mounts in WvW was one thing. We adjusted to it, even though we did not want to.
    If you make this pay-for-full-functionality I will lose faith that I shouldn't still have to begin with.

    Taking a screenshot of this post & saving it. Why? Well, you know how it is here.

    edit: wording, and: note that if we are still allowed to use [omitted title] after this release, I won't mind so much. I can look past that easily, if this condition is met.[/spoiler]

    Yeah, keep using ArcDPS and occupy 940923840923 bag slots for you gear. Exaggerating, of course.

    Legendaries are a thing you know.

    I'll have two number 9s, a number 9 large, a number 6 with extra dip, a number 7, two number 45s, one with cheese, and a large soda.

  • TheGrimm.5624TheGrimm.5624 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @ProverbsofHell.2307 said:
    and I haven't had to pay for it.

    I don't disagree that businesses are out to make money, because you can't use the word business with out that other part, else it's charity. But using that statement makes me think you are ok with stealing cable. I have been doing so, so why would I pay now. I have agreed with you on a number of things, but this one, not so much. Now maybe on a thread of the actual price of these...........thats something different.

    Envy the Madman his musing when Death comes to make fools of us all.
    De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.
    TheGrimm PoTBS/GW1/WAR/Rift/GW2/MWO/ESO/WoT/WoW/D2/HoTS/Civ6/CU/AoC

  • borgs.6103borgs.6103 Member ✭✭✭

    @sokeenoppa.5384 said:
    Legendaries are a thing you know.

    Yeah, tell the huge majority of the population that.

    Exploit people's good will and optimism.

  • sokeenoppa.5384sokeenoppa.5384 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @borgs.6103 said:

    @sokeenoppa.5384 said:
    Legendaries are a thing you know.

    Yeah, tell the huge majority of the population that.

    Majority of population who actually needs templates has a legendary gear.

    I'll have two number 9s, a number 9 large, a number 6 with extra dip, a number 7, two number 45s, one with cheese, and a large soda.

  • borgs.6103borgs.6103 Member ✭✭✭

    @sokeenoppa.5384 said:

    @borgs.6103 said:

    @sokeenoppa.5384 said:
    Legendaries are a thing you know.

    Yeah, tell the huge majority of the population that.

    Majority of population who actually needs templates has a legendary gear.

    Source.

    Exploit people's good will and optimism.

  • Vash.2386Vash.2386 Member ✭✭✭

    +1

    I also would like to keep using Arc templates. It has worked very well for me over the last couple years and I have never lost a piece of gear because of it.

  • kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Your proposal does not make any business sense for Anet.

    I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

  • flog.3485flog.3485 Member ✭✭✭

    @Astralporing.1957 said:

    @flog.3485 said:

    @Konrad Curze.5130 said:

    @Eddbopkins.2630 said:
    Why won't arc build work anymore?

    Because ANet has gone from improving their game to shamelessly stealing from community efforts the laziest possible way to make a penny

    Right because a free update that has been in development for 2+ years doesn’t need any return on investment ? /s

    The update wasn't being developed in the void. It's part of a whole game, which does already give a return on investment.
    Where do you think the money from overpriced mount skins go to? Because i thought they were meant to be used to fund exactly this kind of features.

    And somehow you don’t think that the introduction of a new free big update doesn’t need a new kind of revenue stream? I tell you where the revenue of “overpriced mount skins” goes to: the living story.

  • mindcircus.1506mindcircus.1506 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I'm sure Delta will continue to provide support for his Build templates and distribute to his inner circle of special friends just like his gear checker.

  • kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @mindcircus.1506 said:
    I'm sure Delta will continue to provide support for his Build templates and distribute to his inner circle of special friends just like his gear checker.

    I'm sure that Anet would consider the add-on void upon release of their own template system which would then make using it a bannable offense, just like any other unauthorized add-on.

    I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

  • mindcircus.1506mindcircus.1506 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @kharmin.7683 said:

    @mindcircus.1506 said:
    I'm sure Delta will continue to provide support for his Build templates and distribute to his inner circle of special friends just like his gear checker.

    I'm sure that Anet would consider the add-on void upon release of their own template system which would then make using it a bannable offense, just like any other unauthorized add-on.

    And yet using the Gear Check version of Arc that Delta passes out to his pals has gotten zero people banned.

  • kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @mindcircus.1506 said:

    @kharmin.7683 said:

    @mindcircus.1506 said:
    I'm sure Delta will continue to provide support for his Build templates and distribute to his inner circle of special friends just like his gear checker.

    I'm sure that Anet would consider the add-on void upon release of their own template system which would then make using it a bannable offense, just like any other unauthorized add-on.

    And yet using the Gear Check version of Arc that Delta passes out to his pals has gotten zero people banned.

    {shrug} Players may choose to continue to use add-ons at their own risk.

    I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

  • It's a kitten business > @kharmin.7683 said:

    Your proposal does not make any business sense for Anet.

    It does, but ok.

  • kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Schwarzwald.9078 said:
    It's a kitten business > @kharmin.7683 said:

    Your proposal does not make any business sense for Anet.

    It does, but ok.

    How?

    I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

  • @kharmin.7683 said:

    @Schwarzwald.9078 said:
    It's a kitten business > @kharmin.7683 said:

    Your proposal does not make any business sense for Anet.

    It does, but ok.

    How?

    Why should I repeat my post when it is you who hasn't replied to it explaining why you don't believe that's the case?

  • kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Unless I am misreading, you are advocating that some of the templates should not be monetized (free). That's where I find fault.

    I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

  • UnDeadFun.5824UnDeadFun.5824 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2, 2019

    Unfortunately, deltaconnected - "This. One of the conditions to ANet allowing my templates extension was that I let it die when an official solution comes around, and that condition hasn't changed"

    Card

  • @UnDeadFun.5824 said:
    Unfortunately, deltaconnected - "This. One of the conditions to ANet allowing my templates extension was that I let it die when an official solution comes around, and that condition hasn't changed"

    Card

    That's why the solution is a simple clarification from ArenaNet allowing people to continue to keep using ArcDPS build templates.

  • I agree with OP, the arc build templates should be allowed to live on.

  • MoonT.6845MoonT.6845 Member
    edited October 2, 2019

    @Lottie.5370 said:

    Who needs more than 6 gear templates for one character??

    Pretty much everybody that plays WvW

    I run 14 different builds on roaming ranger alone, each with different gear configuration.

  • perilisk.1874perilisk.1874 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @flog.3485 said:

    @Astralporing.1957 said:

    @flog.3485 said:

    @Konrad Curze.5130 said:

    @Eddbopkins.2630 said:
    Why won't arc build work anymore?

    Because ANet has gone from improving their game to shamelessly stealing from community efforts the laziest possible way to make a penny

    Right because a free update that has been in development for 2+ years doesn’t need any return on investment ? /s

    The update wasn't being developed in the void. It's part of a whole game, which does already give a return on investment.
    Where do you think the money from overpriced mount skins go to? Because i thought they were meant to be used to fund exactly this kind of features.

    And somehow you don’t think that the introduction of a new free big update doesn’t need a new kind of revenue stream? I tell you where the revenue of “overpriced mount skins” goes to: the living story.

    If only there was some generally accepted way of monetizing both content and new features at the same time.

  • blambidy.3216blambidy.3216 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @kharmin.7683 said:

    @Schwarzwald.9078 said:

    That's why the solution is a simple clarification from ArenaNet allowing people to continue to keep using ArcDPS build templates.

    Which makes absolutely no business sense. "Here's something you'll likely want and it's going to cost you but hey, it's ok to keep using the free thingy and not pay us so that we've wasted all of our resources in making this thing with no profit to show for it."

    Who said build templates used all their resources?

    Did arenanet not say there are 4 teams now? 3 teams on the season and 1 team to randomly give us a surprise?

    If it took arenanet to use all resources on build templates then arenanet is in a bigger hole then what people expect.

    As far as them not making cash for it. The better solution would’ve been give the build tabs for free then everyone would’ve gave more into gem store for the right decision. But since veterans do not like the solution of how it’s used, they aren’t getting any money from veterans.