[Answered] Only 24 Builds account wide?

EDIT: Ah, thanks for clearing that up, ANet. Phew! What a relief. :)

I just watched the stream and am baffled. The maximum number for builds account wide is 24???

When I have 12 characters, that leaves me with only one PvE build and 1 WvW build, no PvP build whatsoever and no further PvE builds. That can't be right?

That completely annihilates the purpose of build template storage. (And I am not even mentioning that 85% of those will have to be purchased as additional slots via Gem Store.)

How is this acceptable? 24 slots max? No way!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, but how dare you complain regardless!

(i agree with you.)

Well per the dev post below it seems to be6 per account, 24 per character. Which isnt so bad, i literally dont have that many builds on either of my two mains, even counting wvw and pvp so that works for me.

You're right that it doesn't sound right. Templates and Build Slots are character-based, so I suspect there is a miscommunication here.

If it is as you say, however, that is outrageous. If I cared even slightly about this feature or the people angry at it, I would be furious.

@Trise.2865 said:Templates and Build Slots are character-based, so I suspect there is a miscommunication here.

I wish! One of the devs who's worked on this feature explicitly stated that the left collumn shows the account-wide builds and that their number is limited to 24. :o

If it is as you say, however, that is outrageous.

It is, isn't it? That makes them pretty much pointless to me. If they keep it that way, I won't be investing any money into this feature. :angry:

If I cared even slightly about this feature or the people angry at it, I would be furious.

Lucky you then. ;)

@Ashantara.8731 The build template or the build storage template? Given 1st is per character and 2nd per account. I didn't watch the stream but if build templates no longer come with char creation then we cannot even equip our new characters lol. If its the build storage you share account wide then I can see the point.

At least I assumed that the build template are just as how they are atm and you don't have to store them unless you want to share them?

@Ashantara.8731 said:I just watched the stream and am baffled. The maximum number for builds account wide is 24???

When I have 12 characters, that leaves me with only one PvE build and 1 WvW build, no PvP build whatsoever and no further PvE builds. That can't be right?

That completely annihilates the purpose of build template storage. (And I am not even mentioning that 85% of those will have to be purchased as additional slots via Gem Store.)

How is this acceptable? 24 slots max? No way!

I mean... they're charging you for a list of chatcodes, making you pay piecemeal for something that can be stored client-side in untold quantities at no marginal cost to Arenanet. The whole thing is a ridiculous joke.

It's not like they can't do smart marketing -- Ascended cooking was a sneaky way to make garden plots more valuable, but it was framed in a way that they were giving, rather than taking. Portal tomes are a cheap, non-cash-shop convenience, but they shine the most in a shared inventory slot. They definitely could have figured out how to use client-side build templates as a way to better sell the paid equipment templates. But they didn't, and they've created something more limited and inconvenient than what a lot of people had already gotten used to having.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Trise.2865 said:Templates and Build Slots are character-based, so I suspect there is a miscommunication here.

I wish! One of the devs who's worked on this feature explicitly stated that the left collumn shows the account-wide builds and that their number is limited to 24. :o

The left column is the account wide builds however there are also 6 builds per character (you can see 1, 2, 3 and three lock icons above the build in the image).

Those 6 character specific builds are what's interesting to me the account wide builds are essentially the same as an in game clip board.

@Neutra.6857 said:

@"aspirine.6852" said:24 is way more than zero.

Many people used arc, which had significantly more then 0. And with this addition, arc templates are being discontinued.

Arc was a DirectX hack that stored the builds outside of the game and did some hacky things to change said builds. For many people (like me), I'd find my weapon setup in arc completely disappear on a regular basis.

What ANet is pushing out is integrated directly into the game, which makes for a better experience for general users, but being that it is integrated into the game, it also has to use the game's internal "APIs" to communicate and store data. That means they are limited by the spaghetti code and database schema within the game whereas Arc was not. Before you argue that ANet should've just implemented what Arc did, keep in mind it was a hack that was accessing things that normally shouldn't be accessed. It wasn't a good idea and I had my fair share of issues where Arc broke my game and I had to remove Arc, or the templates simply didn't completely save (or stay saved). Just because something can be done (or was done), doesn't mean it should be done

@EagleDelta.4726 said:

@"aspirine.6852" said:24 is way more than zero.

Many people used arc, which had significantly more then 0. And with this addition, arc templates are being discontinued.

Arc was a DirectX hack that stored the builds outside of the game and did some hacky things to change said builds. For many people (like me), I'd find my weapon setup in arc completely disappear on a regular basis.

What ANet is pushing out is integrated directly into the game, which makes for a better experience for general users, but being that it is integrated into the game, it also has to use the game's internal "APIs" to communicate and store data. That means they are limited by the spaghetti code and database schema within the game whereas Arc was not. Before you argue that ANet should've just implemented what Arc did, keep in mind it was a hack that was accessing things that normally shouldn't be accessed. It wasn't a good idea and I had my fair share of issues where Arc broke my game and I had to remove Arc, or the templates simply didn't completely save (or stay saved). Just because something
can
be done (or was done), doesn't mean it
should be done
Correct, there are things that are better about this et of templates, there are also things that arc did better. Did it break every time there was an update, yep, did it have issues with switching weapons, yep (I never lost a weapon), but it did have the infinite variety that I and others wanted. Considering I have legendary gear, the templates do not save me space like it would with ascended gear.

• ArenaNet Staff

What you call here "left-side" and "right-side" is what we called in yesterday's blog post, respectively, Build Storage and Build Template Tabs. Build Storage spaces are shared on your account, while Build Template Tabs are specific to the character you're using. The two work in tandem (when you copy to/from one of them to the other) but are not the same thing. The relevant section of the blog post (and you could see that during today's livestream) is the following:

Unlike Build Template tabs, Build Storage can hold templates of any profession and can be accessed by any character on your account. You can copy, rename, clear, or inspect them the same way you would a Build Template tab, and copy and paste a template to and from tabs and storage (provided your character is the appropriate profession to apply the template to a tab).

@"Stephane Lo Presti.7258" said:What you call here "left-side" and "right-side" is what we called in yesterday's blog post, respectively, Build Storage and Build Template Tabs. Build Storage spaces are shared on your account, while Build Template Tabs are specific to the character you're using.

Okay, so creating a build does not automatically result in a build template being stored in the build template storage? (insert sigh of relief) That's fantastic to hear. =)

I just brought up the stream, and they clearly state and show the character's distinct build templates (6 tabs) and account-wide "saved" build templates (20+ tabs) are unique and separate (but transferable) data sets.

Edit: Guess I'm a few minutes late... Oh well, here it is anyway.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"Stephane Lo Presti.7258" said:What you call here "left-side" and "right-side" is what we called in yesterday's blog post, respectively, Build Storage and Build Template Tabs. Build Storage spaces are shared on your account, while Build Template Tabs are specific to the character you're using.

Okay, so creating a build does not automatically result in a build template being stored in the build template storage? (insert sigh of relief) That's fantastic to hear. =)

You can also copy the chat code out to a text file and use that as a backup for all your builds, while you store the most used builds in the in-game storage or build tabs

@EagleDelta.4726 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:Okay, so creating a build does not automatically result in a build template being stored in the build template storage? (insert sigh of relief) That's fantastic to hear. =)

You can also copy the chat code out to a text file and use that as a backup for all your builds, while you store the most used builds in the in-game storage or build tabs

So that's a definite yes to my question then? ;)

P.S. Yep, got that part about the chat code, thanks. :)

@"Trise.2865" said:I just brought up the stream, and they clearly state and show the character's distinct build templates (6 tabs) and account-wide "saved" build templates (20+ tabs) are unique and separate (but transferable) data sets.

Yes, I only caught parts of the stream. Will try to rewatch the whole thing.

Edit: Indeed this is confirmed @ 45 mins into the Guild Chat stream that storage and build/equipment templates are two separate entities. :)

@"Astralporing.1957" said:Still not enough to satisfy the needs, unless you either don;t run many chars, or don't change builds too much (or both). Basically, if you do have need of this feature, it won't be enough for you. It will only be okay, if you really didn't need it.

That's not quite correct. Even with "only" 2-3 builds per characters, this method is much faster than looking builds up on MetaBattle each time you need to switch. Also, it frees slots in your inventory, so that's another plus.

Of course, if you are using more than 6 builds on one or more of your characters, it becomes an issue.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"Astralporing.1957" said:Still not enough to satisfy the needs, unless you either don;t run many chars, or don't change builds too much (or both). Basically, if you do have need of this feature, it won't be enough for you. It will only be okay, if you really didn't need it.

That's not quite correct. Even with "only" 2-3 builds per characters, this method is much faster than looking builds up on MetaBattle each time you need to switch. Also, it frees slots in your inventory, so that's another plus.

Of course, if you are using more than 6 builds on one or more of your characters, it becomes an issue.

we did not look up to metabattle or anywhere to change build. We had free, unlimited add-on which had all our saved builds available anytime