If they were free & unlimited, how many Build Template tabs would you use on your most played char?

Now that we know more about the Build Template system, I'm curious about what's the demand for it.

If the Build Template system were more similar to the one in the original Guild Wars - free and with unlimited slots -, how many tabs would you use on your most played character?

(Do notice I'm talking about the character-based Build Template tab, not the Equipment Template tab or the account-based Build Storage Space. A Build Template tab allows a player to save a build for a specific character.)

(And do notice that, in the poll's title, I said "char" - title character limit doesn't like me ;_; - and not Charr :P)

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ButcherofMalakir.4067 said:

@perilisk.1874 said:There isn't much reason right now to use them the way the game is designed, at least in PvE. The main thing is switching between condi, power, or support. So, 3? But you can always just use more alts, which have a lot of other benefits.

My support chrono has 30+

For what? Every single utility and single trait switch out?

@perilisk.1874 said:There isn't much reason right now to use them the way the game is designed, at least in PvE. The main thing is switching between condi, power, or support. So, 3? But you can always just use more alts, which have a lot of other benefits.

Wow. Well, I'm only speaking for my own experience, and I don't raid, so that probably limits the need a bit.

@Durzlla.6295 said:

For each boss 2 (if we have chrono, ren, fb or double chrono)

And most bosses have diferent build, and for bosses where tank and second chrono do something else (like dhuum) there is another one

Edit:Oh, build does notinclude gear? Then maybe I can get away with 15. I have 30+ gear templates

If it was like 3-4 tabs per game mode I'd be fine. Open world tagging, open world soloing - 2 very different specs. MAYBE one open world boss spec but that's not really needed.

SPVP I would use at least a couple

WVW I would use once again if I was honesty with myself, 2-3.

Fractals I would use probably 2

I don't raid atm

So 8-10 but if I raided add another couple. If it's really only 3 for all modes then it's really not going to make a difference for me sadly.

sPvP : 1 permanent. I usually stick to 1 spec per profession. I adapt traits, equipment, skills if needed before the start but that is fast enough thanks to the search engine.PvE : 2 or 3. If this is a recent char or not played often Open world + group content build. For an older 1 heal, 1 physical, 1condi.So currently between 2-3 in PvE but 3-4 if you add sPvP.

What I want to highlight is a difference they make (with PvE in mind)

• gear templates will be 1(new/alt)-3(old/main) for me (1 for each role) and might not change that much in the future. Maybe I will reach 4 if I need a buffer too. Right now stat/gear swapping is painfull but once they implement the "apply stats and rune to all" it will be faster to swap on leg gear. (the fact that gear Template stores your items instead of your bag is welcome)
  • build templates 2(new/alt)-4(old/main) but it will be more once new e-specs come in. Right now build are faster to change so I do not mind that much.

@"Pirogen.9561" said:Zero. I use alts for this "problem". Easier.

Yep. I actually haven't encountered this problem, as I prefer to know a few builds well rather than have a build for every occasion. But I have bought some toon slots in anticipation of creating different builds but so far they're all sitting at level two just outside their tutorial stories storing useless account bound stuffs and collecting bday presents . . .

I might come to prefer the build templates once they are released, but I doubt it. I just like the idea of having a different toon for each build . . .

Maybe 4? Although that's stretching it a bit because it would include my Mad King's Labyrinth build which I use precisely once a year, and which is basically my normal build with a few minor changes (speed boost signet instead of a spirit, axe instead of sword main hand).

Most of my characters would have just one, or at most two (if I use them in WvW). I will change their builds as needed but it's situational (for example changing from turrets to kits/tools on my engineer if I know we're going to be moving too much for turrets to be worth using) and I'm not making the same changes all the time so it would be pointless to set up a template for it.

I'm very much not the target market for this. I'm more inclined to pick skills I enjoy using, traits which go with the skills and then figure out how to complete content with that than to tailor my build to each activity.

I don't have legendary armor(yet), and swapping gear even with arc just got to be too much of a hassle so I just got more character slots. IE, I have a wvw scourge, a wvw guard, a wvw herald, a pve scourge, a pve rev, a pve dragonhunter, a pve druid, a pve soulbeast, a pve chrono,(etc) so the only one who'd use this now that builds have change will be my elly, who I never bothered to get a second or third one of, so she'll have leg armor when I finish it and the leg trinkets, and can then swap between wvw tempest, wvw weaver, pve tempest, pve weaver.

I am simply too lazy and character slots go on sale, and with each character comes 5 bag slots, so I don't even buy those anymore. My next expenditure will be a banky golem, once I finish building up bank tabs. There is a banker in the raid lobby and one in the wvw, and anywhere else I pop into mistlock santuary. Unless additional slots are cheaper by far than additional characters, I likely will just stick with the freebies, but I lovelovelove that they are adding the templates. I have enough tomes that I could instalevel several toons.

It's hard for me to say because until build templates were formally announced just recently, I was having to do most of that stuff manually and it really discouraged build craft for me. I split my time fairly evenly between 4 to 6 characters nowadays so it really doesn't work out very well for the purposes of your original inquiry...

One of the ways I originally got around it was by having 18 characters, though that also has a lot to do with enjoying character creation in general, but I digress. I guess if I didn't have doubles for each profession, I would say 4-6 per chcharacter just for PvE. Probably triple if including WvW specific builds.

Not many, because I would still need the inventory slots and I have other characters. I'd have a basic generalist build followed by a few specific builds. so 1 to 6. The account limit wouldn't really matter to me because those would just be the builds I'm using everywhere that I need to share in one click.

For each boss 2 (if we have chrono, ren, fb or double chrono)

And most bosses have diferent build, and for bosses where tank and second chrono do something else (like dhuum) there is another one

Edit:Oh, build does notinclude gear? Then maybe I can get away with 15. I have 30+ gear templates

Yet even more reason why I'll never raid.