Ranger Greatsword is Dead

shadowpass.4236

Nice job Anet. You turned this amazing, fun, balanced, higher skill cap melee weapon into a version that's 100x clunkier and weaker than it was before.

You don't listen.

My favorite weapon has been completely butchered.7 years worth of muscle memoryMy core playstyle since releaseGoneYou actually HARD nerfed several gs skillsThe autos are literally trash now, and the muscle memory is getting me killed cause I think I'm going to (purposefully, not RNG!) evade an attack with the 3rd part of the chain but NOPE!You guys decided to remove the skill ceiling completely on gsNow the autos are just 111111111 spam, no depth or skill requiredThe loss of Crippling Throw means that people can literally just run away from me and I can't catch them3 skills, hard nerfed... for what? Oh! Now we can block for 3 seconds like we could BEFORE the patch by simply spamming jump!

I was right about the sword and dagger changes too. Sword is way weaker and dagger is still useless.

All of our melee weapons are basically trash now. I want to see the nerfs reverted and these changes made in their place.

The evade on 3rd auto could, and I feel should, be returned considering the amount of damage being eaten while in melee. I’m personally ok with counter kick on 4, because I use a ranged weapon too, but to each their own.

What do you generally run for secondary weapons on your greatsword build? What pets do you use when specced into Soulbeast?

@Swagger.1459 said:The evade on 3rd auto could, and I feel should, be returned considering the amount of damage being eaten while in melee. I’m personally ok with counter kick on 4, because I use a ranged weapon too, but to each their own.

What do you generally run for secondary weapons on your greatsword build? What pets do you use when specced into Soulbeast?

The new kick is significantly worse than the old one. All it has going for it is the very short evade.

I use LB/GS and Smokescale/Gazelle.

I know you didn't say it, but trust me, it's not a L2P issue on my part.

Also, core ranger basically got gutted this patch as well. Playing it successfully at a high level involved using the GS auto evades and Crippling Throw ON PURPOSE (no RNG!) to survive and kill people.

In the case of a runner you still have access to swoop 1,000, smoke assault 750, charge 1,200 and to longbow 1,200/1,500. The gap closing potential and ranged capabilities are still there in your build, just that 1 ranged skill isn’t now. Those are still lots of options I feel.

just play deadeye... super safe, super easy and does the same job lb ranger does, but with blinks and more stealth. Ranger was hit too hard this patch. Lb is garbage atm, even with 4000 power the pressure is still low (and that is from soulbeast perspective... i don't even want to see the dmg numbers on core ranger), no more surviveability/downcleave with quickness and gs autos because now you melt in 2 seconds when going anywhere near practically anyone. At this point it would be justified to unroot axe 5 or give ranger some unblockable back or make.. well I have no idea but atm it's pointless to play ranger.

@Swagger.1459 said:In the case of a runner you still have access to swoop 1,000, smoke assault 750, charge 1,200 and to longbow 1,200/1,500. The gap closing potential and ranged capabilities are still there in your build, just that 1 ranged skill isn’t now. Those are still lots of options I feel.

I didn't say anything about a lack of gap closers. Without the cripple, we will have a hard time catching and STICKING to targets. We also lose the ability to slow down an enemy to prevent him from chasing an ally/getting to a point too fast.

@Swagger.1459 said:In the case of a runner you still have access to swoop 1,000, smoke assault 750, charge 1,200 and to longbow 1,200/1,500. The gap closing potential and ranged capabilities are still there in your build, just that 1 ranged skill isn’t now. Those are still lots of options I feel.

With GS4 before you could do a lot of damage too. With new GS4 basically we lost 1 Damage skill. The new block doesn't do damage, and players already know to retreat when you block with GS4, so the kick can't hit them. Old GS4 gave us 3 things: range hit, damage and cripple. New GS4 is short with 3 ability vs Old GS4 ...GS1 auto ... it is no need to talk about because the new one gives you nothing comparable with old one.

At the same time, when we talk about GS we talk for sPVP and WvW! You mentioned that the gap of distance now could be eliminated by the longbow. Well seems you forgot that LB got a nerf too in WvW. So from WvW POV now we got 2 main weapons nerfed. Playing with Sword/Dagger and Axe/Warhorn in WvW is not an option. Only if you are duelling or roaming. To fight side by side with a zerg/group you need LB and GS was the best weapon for defence and disengage.

The patch ruined somehow the ranger MM/BM/SB build for WvW, big time.

If in sPVP Sword/Warhorn+Axe/Axe or all kind of combination is an option to replace GS and LB, in WvW, unfortunately, it is not.

@Loboling.5293 said:

@shadowpass.4236 said:Nice job Anet.

All of our melee weapons are basically trash now.

Well it is called a Range-r. Maybe after 7 years, they realized what that meant...

Sorry, please do go on. ;P

Well it is called a Range-r. Maybe after 7 years, they realized what that meant...

Ranger Regiment, Special Operations Command unit specializing in anti-guerrilla jungle warfare, raids, ambushes, close quarters combat, urban warfare and sabotage

Why do People think Ranger = Ranged ok similar words but there ends the similarity.

ArenaNet, sucking out the fun of your builds one patch at a time.When was the last time you read the balance patch and thought "that's awesome"? Yea i don't remember either.Melee front-end wvw Soulbeast COULD have been a thing, all it really needed was to have Leader of the pack trait to give allies 80% - 100% of the shout effectiveness on them, 50% is too low to be effective. the GS change pretty much gutted that potential option into oblivion.Welp, time to bench my rangers at least my benched holo will have some company.

@Sansar.1302 said:

Ranger Regiment, Special Operations Command unit specializing in anti-guerrilla jungle warfare, raids, ambushes, close quarters combat, urban warfare and sabotage

Why do People think Ranger = Ranged ok similar words but there ends the similarity.

Because Ranger in GW2 is Hunter in other MMO. Because even in GW2 lore Ranger is represented with a Bow! Ranger = Hunter, and in most of the culture, hunter wear bow, or spear or a long tube with a small arrow (this kind of weapons are still used by some tribes in our time). A ranger = hunter usual use range weapons for hunt and dagger, sword axe for close combat or for peel the skin of animals.

@Loboling.5293 said:

@"shadowpass.4236" said:Nice job Anet.

"WAAAA Rangers do too much damage at range nerf longbow even more!"

"Nerf LB range - 1500 ISNT FAIR WAAAAAA"

"Rangers shouldnt be good at melee because Range-r"

I look forward to what amazing insight this forum throws up next.

:popcorn:

I guess they tried to remove possibility to squeeze 2 seconds of evade from stoving 3rd part of aa. Tbf it is a little much but they should just repair it and not completely remove it.Its kindda anet logic thou... its ok for weavers to have almost perma evade and dealing 4-8k buning, its ok for dd staff thieves for perma evades, mirages with distortion on dodge etc... no, punish core rangers for toxic game play

@InsaneQR.7412 said:A bit hyperbolic isn't it? I mean it's out for 2 days. Muscle memory needs some time to adapt. Atm I think it feels more fluid just not as evasive.With QD it's quite nice though. The double block channel is great.

It is definitely an overall nerf because 15 endurance doesn’t compensate for our 3rd auto still being a 1s cast. But I do agree that it does feel smoother overall.

Do still need to get used to the changes though.

@Durzlla.6295 said:

@InsaneQR.7412 said:A bit hyperbolic isn't it? I mean it's out for 2 days. Muscle memory needs some time to adapt. Atm I think it feels more fluid just not as evasive.With QD it's quite nice though. The double block channel is great.

It is definitely an overall nerf because 15 endurance doesn’t compensate for our 3rd auto still being a 1s cast. But I do agree that it does feel smoother overall.

Guys, you are amazed me ... it's not only about 3r auto evade who was removed, but also for losing a range hit, a cripple and a damage skill. As I said above, the GS4 now isn't a damage skill anymore like it was before, because most of the time 80-90% you don't have the time to kick the enemy. What feels smoother now? I don't get it ... Is it smooth because after a block on GS4 you can use the kick? This means smoother? When most of the time that kick doesn't hit the target because target is already out of the range zone?

When you take out 4 things from a weapon and you give back only 1 useless 15 endurance, it means big nerf. It's not about to adapt. To adapt what? To adapt to a new style of fighting? You can't, because you don't have anymore the tools and they didn't replace old tools with something new, NO, they just give garbage things instead. The old block of GS could be used full duration by jumping. The kick was automatically, idd, but the new one is so predictable that it can be easily avoided. So what did they give us back for range hit with GS4, for Damage and Cripple on GS4? Nothing. You can say we must learn to adapt when you have something else who can (at least theoretically) compensate for what you lost.

@Dragonzhunter.8506 said:

Guys, you are amazed me ... it's not only about 3r auto evade who was removed, but also for losing a range hit, a cripple and a damage skill. As I said above, the GS4 now isn't a damage skill anymore like it was before, because most of the time 80-90% you don't have the time to kick the enemy. What feels smoother now? I don't get it ... Is it smooth because after a block on GS4 you can use the kick? This means smoother? When most of the time that kick doesn't hit the target because target is already out of the range zone?

When you take out 4 things from a weapon and you give back only 1 useless 15 endurance, it means big nerf. It's not about to adapt. To adapt what? To adapt to a new style of fighting? You can't, because you don't have anymore the tools and they didn't replace old tools with something new, NO, they just give garbage things instead. The old block of GS could be used full duration by jumping. The kick was automatically, idd, but the new one is so predictable that it can be easily avoided. So what did they give us back for range hit with GS4, for Damage and Cripple on GS4? Nothing. You can say we must learn to adapt when you have something else who can (at least theoretically) compensate for what you lost.

It’s smoother because it’s now a true block, you don’t have to jump around like a rabbit in an attempt to prevent the block ending by someone attacking you from too close.

Also the kick is an evade now and not a very punishing (for the ranger) animation to just kick you while you’re already down because your block ended.

And I’d hardly call Crippling Throw a “damage skill” it was a ranged cripple at best, and even then the only thing it had going for it was that it was on GS. We already have ample access to ranged cripple/chill, losing it on GS is hardly the end of the world. And if crippling throw is the only thing that’s somehow keeping these enemies from running away from you I’d highly recommend investing in a ranged weapon or some swiftness.

@Durzlla.6295 said:

It’s smoother because it’s now a true block, you don’t have to jump around like a rabbit in an attempt to prevent the block ending by someone attacking you from too close.

Also the kick is an evade now and not a very punishing (for the ranger) animation to just kick you while you’re already down because your block ended.

And I’d hardly call Crippling Throw a “damage skill” it was a ranged cripple at best, and even then the only thing it had going for it was that it was on GS. We already have ample access to ranged cripple/chill, losing it on GS is hardly the end of the world. And if crippling throw is the only thing that’s somehow keeping these enemies from running away from you I’d highly recommend investing in a ranged weapon or some swiftness.

Hardly call GS 4 a damaging skill? By this comment alone you completely lost all credibility about ur knowledge of rangers. Crippling throw could do up to 6-7k damage and no, not even on a pure zerk build. What OP said is completely true, the GS 4 change is just plain stupid and unnecessary. Ppl with half a brain know the knockback will come so they'll back off the moment they block

@Durzlla.6295 said:And I’d hardly call Crippling Throw a “damage skill” it was a ranged cripple at best, and even then the only thing it had going for it was that it was on GS. We already have ample access to ranged cripple/chill, losing it on GS is hardly the end of the world. And if crippling throw is the only thing that’s somehow keeping these enemies from running away from you I’d highly recommend investing in a ranged weapon or some swiftness.

With Crippling Throw you could do more than 4k damage, so it was a real damage skill, many times was the ending hit for someone with low hp who is trying to run away.

@Dragonzhunter.8506 said:

@"Durzlla.6295" said:And I’d hardly call Crippling Throw a “damage skill” it was a ranged cripple at best, and even then the only thing it had going for it was that it was on GS. We already have ample access to ranged cripple/chill, losing it on GS is hardly the end of the world. And if crippling throw is the only thing that’s somehow keeping these enemies from running away from you I’d highly recommend investing in a ranged weapon or some swiftness.

With Crippling Throw you could do more than 4k damage, so it was a real damage skill, many times was the ending hit for someone with low hp who is trying to run away.

In the case of the GS/LB build you have options to deal with someone "running away". Soulbeast builds commonly use Owl for 1,200 Swoop, Smokescale for 750 range Smoke Assault and Gazelle 1,200 Charge. Plus GS 3. Plus all of LB...There are options to get a target at range.

@shadowpass.4236 said:

I didn't say anything about a lack of gap closers. Without the cripple, we will have a hard time catching and STICKING to targets. We also lose the ability to slow down an enemy to prevent him from chasing an ally/getting to a point too fast.

I made a melee improvement thread before and asked for a buff to GS 5. I'm not overly happy with GS changes, but our builds still have tools to get a ranged target that may be running away, chasing an ally or trying to get to a point. It would be no different than if the person you hit with old GS 4, up to 900 range, used a condi clear, because ranger does have tools for handling runners.

I support your thoughts, and would rather GS be changed back, but to say we don't have to tools against runners isn't really true. I could support you and agreeing with the changes being kinda clunky, and really needing that evade on 1.3 we lost, but that ability to chase or maneuver isn't one of the gripes I personally would have with the build you are using.

Core ranger needs love, much like every core profession, so it's not really new. Core builds got dumped on when E-Specs came about, so they need a lot of improvements to be on par.

@Swagger.1459 said:

@"Durzlla.6295" said:And I’d hardly call Crippling Throw a “damage skill” it was a ranged cripple at best, and even then the only thing it had going for it was that it was on GS. We already have ample access to ranged cripple/chill, losing it on GS is hardly the end of the world. And if crippling throw is the only thing that’s somehow keeping these enemies from running away from you I’d highly recommend investing in a ranged weapon or some swiftness.

In the case of the GS/LB build you have options to deal with someone "running away". Soulbeast builds commonly use Owl for 1,200 Swoop, Smokescale for 750 range Smoke Assault and Gazelle 1,200 Charge. Plus GS 3. Plus all of LB...There are options to get a target at range.

I am considering that you are joking. Because this should be a joke otherwise I don't know what to believe about you ...When we talk about how a weapon was nerfed, how badly is now and what is lost, only a newby can say "you can use the other weapons, other traits line, utilities, pets, build etc " ... maybe you want to say to that we could change the class too.Please, don't come with such kind of comments. Let's stick to the thread and weapon we talked about. Because we talk about what GS had and what doesn't have ANYMORE!