Just saying thanks.

sephiroth.4217

I dont want to defend this Lance ability from PvE players because it has brought back the dangers of solo roaming in an open world PvP area.. I feel like the essence of open world pvp was returned to those of us who like a little danger in our open world combat games.

Its forcing me to group up when needed and encourages me to find other decent players to help me conquer the uneven fights.

all of my character slots (32) that I bought with cash (no conversion) for the several purposes and builds in WvW have all been reinstated.. I dont feel cheated out of those sales anymore.

most of all... I can play DD Tempest again with my time gated gear being Celestial and Crusaders which is by far my favorite spec and build.. I love bruiser builds and extended engagements.

So I just want to say thanks Anet for this little change that has had a huge positive impact for me.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Jayden Reese.9542 said:We know. You spam about your celestial tempest in 100 threads. Still not dangerous tho as its easy to dodge and I haven't been dismounted once even tho I've caught 30 or so w lance already. Glad your finally happy tho

aye!!!Thats because my reasoning and stance on the matter never changed... it wasnt concocted ideas for the sake of arguing like most here on these very forums.

its the only real complaint I had about WvW over the course of 7 years besides the removal of LA recruitment when it became a megaserver.

and its great that you got 30 players with lance, good to know open world pvp has been returned to more players other than myself ☺☺☺

I will mention that its funny that I think some people don't realise the lance skill has been introduced, as I've seen them jumping so jolly on their warclaws, taunting people and thinking they can just jump around them until they get lanced and killed. They might catch on soon enough I think. (These are those people that like to troll around keep areas.).

We're back to 3-4 thiefs/mesmers/whatever hanging around sniping solo players at the back of the group or at choke points etc, making sure at least one lance hits then ganking the downed player and stealthing like no tomorrow if they don't manage to kill them. Then thinking themselves 'great players'.....

I wish the stealth trap was any use at all, but it just utterly fails. Actually, I wish they'd never brought stealth into the game, it's so badly designed and so cheesy. Should have made it like other games where stealth goes hand in hand with sneak, ie you need to move slowly to use it.

Lance isn't bad per se, in fact i think it is a useful change overall but I really didn't miss the cheese and it was nice while it lasted.

@Baldrick.8967 said:We're back to 3-4 thiefs/mesmers/whatever hanging around sniping solo players at the back of the group or at choke points etc, making sure at least one lance hits then ganking the downed player and stealthing like no tomorrow if they don't manage to kill them. Then thinking themselves 'great players'.....

I wish the stealth trap was any use at all, but it just utterly fails. Actually, I wish they'd never brought stealth into the game, it's so badly designed and so cheesy. Should have made it like other games where stealth goes hand in hand with sneak, ie you need to move slowly to use it.

Lance isn't bad per se, in fact i think it is a useful change overall but I really didn't miss the cheese and it was nice while it lasted.

Im sure a man with a name like yours could come up with a cunning plan?

@sephiroth.4217 said:

@Baldrick.8967 said:We're back to 3-4 thiefs/mesmers/whatever hanging around sniping solo players at the back of the group or at choke points etc, making sure at least one lance hits then ganking the downed player and stealthing like no tomorrow if they don't manage to kill them. Then thinking themselves 'great players'.....

Maybe Black Adder could help him place his stealth traps.

@LetoII.3782 said:

Maybe Black Adder could help him place his stealth traps.

Ah, Captain Slack Bladder!

@DemonSeed.3528 said:I will mention that its funny that I think some people don't realise the lance skill has been introduced, as I've seen them jumping so jolly on their warclaws, taunting people and thinking they can just jump around them until they get lanced and killed. They might catch on soon enough I think. (These are those people that like to troll around keep areas.).

It was the same when you could no longer cap while mounted. If only those guys could have heard me laughing...

@Etterwyn.5263 said:

@DemonSeed.3528 said:I will mention that its funny that I think some people don't realise the lance skill has been introduced, as I've seen them jumping so jolly on their warclaws, taunting people and thinking they can just jump around them until they get lanced and killed. They might catch on soon enough I think. (These are those people that like to troll around keep areas.).

It was the same when you could no longer cap while mounted. If only those guys could have heard me laughing...

That's true, I see people still doing it on sentries up to this day and I make sure to let them know. I also tell them it's fine as long as 1 ally is not mounted.

It certainly is a nice QoL improvement. Before while riding as a squad towards a camp or tower, you had to dismount to tag a sentry before running on foot (in-combat speed) towards your objective, leaving it to the green randos to cap the circle for you. Now we can just ride past the sentry and tag it with a lance. :+1:

Sounds like their great players using their professional as its designed to be used. Unfortunately ur obviously not a fan of its playstyle but that doesn't make the playstyle any less viable right. Now if those thieves were spamming their aoe's and trying to use any of their useless suport skills in the blob then I'd call them bad thief and mesmer players lol. They were doing their intended role that just happens to annoy u lol

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

Sounds like their great players using their professional as its designed to be used. Unfortunately ur obviously not a fan of its playstyle but that doesn't make the playstyle any less viable right. Now if those thieves were spamming their aoe's and trying to use any of their useless suport skills in the blob then I'd call them bad thief and mesmer players lol. They were doing their intended role that just happens to annoy u lol

I don't have any problem with the playstyle, but it's hard to argue that it's not a zero skill option, not sure I'd call them 'great players' lol . . .

The biggest advantage I've gotten from the lance so far is forcing players who don't want to fight to wp faster. During the mounted, no lance era I never played a build that was able to dismount ppl, so if someone didn't want to fight I had to wait around for them to get bored and wp. Now I can dismount them and they can still usually get away if they want, but it's much faster . . .

@Gop.8713 said:

I don't have any problem with the playstyle, but it's hard to argue that it's not a zero skill option, not sure I'd call them 'great players' lol . . .

The biggest advantage I've gotten from the lance so far is forcing players who don't want to fight to wp faster. During the mounted, no lance era I never played a build that was able to dismount ppl, so if someone didn't want to fight I had to wait around for them to get bored and wp. Now I can dismount them and they can still usually get away if they want, but it's much faster . . .

Lol other than stealth gankers via mes and thief (invis builds) and cheese pew pew pew soul beats I'd say all other roamers use good dialing builds while roaming requiring more skill that what most zergers do which is just mindless spamming lol no?

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:Lol other than stealth gankers via mes and thief (invis builds) and cheese pew pew pew soul beats I'd say all other roamers use good dialing builds while roaming requiring more skill that what most zergers do which is just mindless spamming lol no?

@Baldrick.8967 said:We're back to 3-4 thiefs/mesmers/whatever hanging around sniping solo players at the back of the group

So you mean other than the players specifically being discussed lol . . ?

@Gop.8713 said:

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:Lol other than stealth gankers via mes and thief (invis builds) and cheese pew pew pew soul beats I'd say all other roamers use good dialing builds while roaming requiring more skill that what most zergers do which is just mindless spamming lol no?

@Baldrick.8967 said:We're back to 3-4 thiefs/mesmers/whatever hanging around sniping solo players at the back of the group

Yeah my bad Haha. I honestly donno how people can stand doing the perma stealth burst playstyle, yeah it's very effective but man is it boring asf after 20 mins lol

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

@Gop.8713 said:

Yeah my bad Haha. I honestly donno how people can stand doing the perma stealth burst playstyle, yeah it's very effective but man is ot boring asf.

Meh, posting without reading is epidemic on these forums, nbd ;p

@Gop.8713 said:

@Gop.8713 said:

Yeah my bad Haha. I honestly donno how people can stand doing the perma stealth burst playstyle, yeah it's very effective but man is ot boring asf.

Meh, posting without reading is epidemic on these forums, nbd ;p

In all fairness I took thieves/mesmers/WHATEVER to mean all builds and specs commonly used for roaming. I apologize that I read and interpreted all that was written instead of focusing the thief and mesmer part of the post. Again my bad :)

Yep, that too . . .

EDIT: That kind of makes sense though. If you read something that makes you think 'yeah, me too, I agree with that' there's not much point to commenting unless you have something to add. But when you see something that makes you think 'hey, wait, that's not right', you're much more likely to make a reply that contributes to the conversation . .

@"Baldrick.8967" said:We're back to 3-4 thiefs/mesmers/whatever hanging around sniping solo players at the back of the group or at choke points etc, making sure at least one lance hits then ganking the downed player and stealthing like no tomorrow if they don't manage to kill them. Then thinking themselves 'great players'.....

"Thinking themselves great players" is a perspective. You may feel they think that way, it doesn't mean they do. Just like if someone decides they don't want to fight it doesn't mean they're a coward.

In my experience, those who are afraid/incapable of succeeding in fights on their own will instead seek to get their "feel good" kills on roamers or solos who stray too close to their zergs. Many times said players will even corpse jump or siege bury those they kill. Meanwhile, most roamers will forget about random kills on pugs that didn't put up much of a fight because the fight didn't bring them any excitement. They're looking for a challenge and they're more likely to remember their losses or fights against skilled players. Though of course this isn't always the case as objective will vary from person to person, most roamers aren't big bad boogy men out to inflate their egos on innocent zerglings. They're just looking for a good fight and sometimes being outnumbered by pugs can provide as good a fight as a solid 1v1 against an equally skilled opponent.

I'm not a psychiatrist so I don't know why we impose these thoughts on people. When someone kills us we make assumptions about how they feel or why they did/are doing what they did, but many times those assumptions are wrong or exaggerated. All I know is that I've had a lot worse experiences with zergs running me down and making visible celebration than any one roamer that I didn't have a history with. Therefore I would confidently say most roamers are a lot less ego driven than many of the pugs they kill.

I am loving it so far even though I can just as easily be screwed over by it. It's nice to have a "Fight me, kitten!" button. I guess I am just so accustomed to getting mowed down by zergs that I couldn't care less about getting lanced when outnumbered. The positives outweigh the negatives for me.

@"SpellOfIniquity.1780" said:

@"Baldrick.8967" said:We're back to 3-4 thiefs/mesmers/whatever hanging around sniping solo players at the back of the group or at choke points etc, making sure at least one lance hits then ganking the downed player and stealthing like no tomorrow if they don't manage to kill them. Then thinking themselves 'great players'.....

"Thinking themselves great players" is a perspective. You may feel they think that way, it doesn't mean they do.

Agreed.When one doesn't have a blob, but faces a blob, asymmetric warfare (guerilla tactics) are in order. 5 CAN kill 20 just not by facetanking, instead the small group must defeat in detail (winning many smaller fights) the larger group. This can feel very personal to the fat kid at the back of the blob, but to the smaller group he's just step one. It's nothing personal.

Just like if someone decides they don't want to fight it doesn't mean they're a coward.

I dunno about this one.Personally, I think someone who comes to the pvp game in a run-away build might be doing a poor job of repressing some latent feelings.... Trying to outrun their... Urges