Do you claim to be a main but secretly climb on another class so you can maintain appearances? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Do you claim to be a main but secretly climb on another class so you can maintain appearances?

Crab Fear.1624Crab Fear.1624 Member ✭✭✭✭

For example are you a known mesmer main, or a thief main, or necro main but have found it easier to play on another class to climb up to "your rating" and then you idle in the lobby on your main?

Soon™ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Do you claim to be a main but secretly climb on another class so you can maintain appearances? 52 votes

NO! Never, I always play my main, the captain goes down with the ship.
71% 37 votes
yes... Fake it till you make it.
13% 7 votes
I don't have a main, I multiclass. When I see someone on their main, I swap to their main and beat them on it to show them they suck.
15% 8 votes

Comments

  • Leonidrex.5649Leonidrex.5649 Member ✭✭✭

    around 0-85% of my games are on my mesmer, I find is easier to climb on my warrior be it core/spb or berserker, and even easier while on condi thief. but i feel like im losing braincels playing those classes so i stick to power mesmer/mirage with ocasional condi/hybrid builds. Just find them more skill expressive tbh.

  • Alatar.7364Alatar.7364 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 5, 2019

    I Multi-class and claim to, in all seriousness, fully main those professions with which I Multi-class, however Thief was always my original and most loved one.
    With that in mind I have always found it easier to climb with other professions, yet despite that I spent great majority of my Season matches on Thief and also exercise highest level of skill on it compared to my skill on the other professions I play. It is true though that for a long time now I have been way too "depressed" by the PvP balance to go and do the final minimum required matches for LB position, as such I won't really vote in the poll.

    ~ I Aear cân ven na mar

  • Fortus.6175Fortus.6175 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 5, 2019

    My favorite is queueing up as ele, getting into the game, and seeing 2 eles on my team, 0 on the enemy team.....at which point I realize that 2 people on the enemy team queued up as ele and then switched before the match started, so I do the only sensible thing with my fast loading pc; wait until it is 10 secs before the start, and change to a counter to the coonts that did that.

    Although I main ele, the recent nerfs to tempests (the traited swiftness being removed from overloads) has made it very difficult to properly support my team with my old build. So I adapted, and created a support core warrior and hybrid core guardian and I have been hovering on top 100 at prime times. It just sucks that Anet has no idea how to properly balance eles, so they randomly throw feces at the wall and hope something sticks and stinks.

  • @Fortus.6175 said:
    So I adapted, and created a support core warrior and hybrid core guardian

    Would you mind to share the build? I never heard of a hybrid core guard and I would love to see what‘s behind that name.

    And I agree, queuing as weak classes and switching to their counters is an often used strategy (or manipulation of the match-making)
    But I don‘t understand why queuing as an ele and then switching would be a good idea. A lot of the weavers I know play very well, and I am only low p2- high p1. They have an amazing sustain, stalling nodes for minutes and can burst nicely as well.

    ~ Miyu Chan / Fyora ♥

  • Fortus.6175Fortus.6175 Member ✭✭✭

    @Serenity.6304 said:

    @Fortus.6175 said:
    So I adapted, and created a support core warrior and hybrid core guardian

    Would you mind to share the build? I never heard of a hybrid core guard and I would love to see what‘s behind that name.

    And I agree, queuing as weak classes and switching to their counters is an often used strategy (or manipulation of the match-making)
    But I don‘t understand why queuing as an ele and then switching would be a good idea. A lot of the weavers I know play very well, and I am only low p2- high p1. They have an amazing sustain, stalling nodes for minutes and can burst nicely as well.

    Well, anyone at or above P1 is already at the top 250. I queue as ele because thats what I wanna play lol, just that other people assume they are still a free kill, so they queue as them, or they are playing necros.
    As far as hybrid guard goes, im still tweaking the build so I would rather not post it until it is finalized, but it is akin to FB symbols build, just that it is burning instead of crits, and I dont have tomes but make up for it with shorter F1-3 abilities.

  • sephiroth.4217sephiroth.4217 Member ✭✭✭✭

    my main is most played and favourite being DD Temp but I play everything else too.

    Not to brag, but I put together a puzzle in 4 days and the box said 2-4 years.
    Please allow team queue with rewards again at our own discretion.
    06210311 251521 121512

  • Trevor Boyer.6524Trevor Boyer.6524 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I actually had to play a lot of Condi DrD this season because Ranger specs have been nerfed so much.

  • @Trevor Boyer.6524 said:
    I actually had to play a lot of Condi DrD this season because Ranger specs have been nerfed so much.

    Core ranger is still one of the strongest builds out there.

    ~ God Tier Guardian

  • Gamble.4580Gamble.4580 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 9, 2019

    I only have 1 account but if gw2 don’t balance the matchmaking maybe players won’t need to switch as much. When u on your main and get same faces game after game and looseing why get angry when u can just switch. It keeps pvp more active cus it stop rage quitting

  • Durzlla.6295Durzlla.6295 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I’ve been playing ranger or some flavor of Druid almost exclusively since launch, with a sprinkle of Mesmer, or failing miserably at trying to play ele.

    "But my children sing to me. Listen. They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family. As their mother, I have to grant them their wish."

  • Trevor Boyer.6524Trevor Boyer.6524 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 10, 2019

    @AngelLovesFredrik.6741 said:

    @Trevor Boyer.6524 said:
    I actually had to play a lot of Condi DrD this season because Ranger specs have been nerfed so much.

    Core ranger is still one of the strongest builds out there.

    No, it isn't at all.

    I'm not sure where this "Core Ranger is strong" thing came from, but it just isn't for these reasons:

    1. Bad cleanse. Anything Condi-Mesmer based tears you up. It's cleanse is also bad to the point that strange off-meta condi builds that wouldn't normally be dangerous are dangerous when the Core Ranger has to engage it. This is particularly true in the case of Burn Guardian builds where the condi application is very consistent in small doses.
    2. Bad mobility, by far worse than Soulbeast or Druid. A Core Ranger can pull off 1v1s or skirmish in team fights, but it cannot disengage 2v1s and due to this it dies much easier when focused than a Soulbeast or Druid. This also means it's trash for side node play.
    3. It lacks Worldy Impact and Smoke Assault, which greatly narrows its ability to create openings for offense.

    I find that right now, the trio of Core, Druid, Soulbeast are best used for these purposes:

    • Core Ranger = Good in team fights when being splashed by boons from FBs and Scourges, ect ect. It can sustain enough to stay in the fray where a Soulbeast would need to dip out. And its damage becomes relatively threatening due to being able to stay in the fray, similar to Reaper play.
    • Druid = It is actually the better side node duelist, believe it or not. A Druid can inevitably survive or kill and win any 1v1, except for vs. Holo and Spellbreaker, which these two actually have kill opportunity against the Druid. The Druid unlike a Core or even Soulbeast, can kite 1v2 for days and not die. This is why the Druid is still the better Side Node duelist.
    • Soulbeast = Boonbeasty side node builds are dead. Anyone left running Soulbeast is running DPS. Most good Rangers who still run Soulbeast have discovered Skirm/Beastmaster/Soulbeast DPS specs, to make up for the recent nerfing Ranger has received in DPS, as well as to counter the buffing certain other classes have received. Ultimately though, this lowers the overall sustain of the Soulbeast, making their best defense a good offense. Due to this, VERY GOOD Soulbeast players can still side node duel, but ideally the newer Soulbeast builds have become more of a + and decap role, where Soulbeasts are aiming at play similar to an old D/P Thief. The Soulbeast can't stay in the fray of a team fight like a Core can, and side node duelist is risky for a Skirm/Beastmaster/Soulbeast because for all the kill power they have, they can die just as quickly from one mistake as they could 2 shot someone.

    In a nutshell, Core Ranger is a very nerfed Boonbeast. There is nothing special or new about Core Ranger, it isn't strong. It is in every way a kitten Boonbeast that offers nothing advantageous over running an actual Boonbeast build outside of it being easier to run in general.

  • Dantheman.3589Dantheman.3589 Member ✭✭
    edited October 10, 2019

    I was a thief main when the game was in its prime and when I came back during pof I just felt like playing necro and a little ranger and yes I climbed on these classes and probably became well known necro main being the highest rated in NA for about 3 seasons. But no one asked me my main I was actually a thief main and when I started playing thief again ppl hated on me saying I’m really just a bad necro trying to play condi thief since necro isn’t strong. But this was never true I just felt like playing something other than my main and it happened to be strong at the time. But lesson learned if your climbing on an op class other than your main just try as hard as you can and if you become well known as a main then good for you.

  • @Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

    @AngelLovesFredrik.6741 said:

    @Trevor Boyer.6524 said:
    I actually had to play a lot of Condi DrD this season because Ranger specs have been nerfed so much.

    Core ranger is still one of the strongest builds out there.

    No, it isn't at all.

    I'm not sure where this "Core Ranger is strong" thing came from, but it just isn't for these reasons:

    1. Bad cleanse. Anything Condi-Mesmer based tears you up. It's cleanse is also bad to the point that strange off-meta condi builds that wouldn't normally be dangerous are dangerous when the Core Ranger has to engage it. This is particularly true in the case of Burn Guardian builds where the condi application is very consistent in small doses.
    2. Bad mobility, by far worse than Soulbeast or Druid. A Core Ranger can pull off 1v1s or skirmish in team fights, but it cannot disengage 2v1s and due to this it dies much easier when focused than a Soulbeast or Druid. This also means it's trash for side node play.
    3. It lacks Worldy Impact and Smoke Assault, which greatly narrows its ability to create openings for offense.

    I find that right now, the trio of Core, Druid, Soulbeast are best used for these purposes:

    • Core Ranger = Good in team fights when being splashed by boons from FBs and Scourges, ect ect. It can sustain enough to stay in the fray where a Soulbeast would need to dip out. And its damage becomes relatively threatening due to being able to stay in the fray, similar to Reaper play.
    • Druid = It is actually the better side node duelist, believe it or not. A Druid can inevitably survive or kill and win any 1v1, except for vs. Holo and Spellbreaker, which these two actually have kill opportunity against the Druid. The Druid unlike a Core or even Soulbeast, can kite 1v2 for days and not die. This is why the Druid is still the better Side Node duelist.
    • Soulbeast = Boonbeasty side node builds are dead. Anyone left running Soulbeast is running DPS. Most good Rangers who still run Soulbeast have discovered Skirm/Beastmaster/Soulbeast DPS specs, to make up for the recent nerfing Ranger has received in DPS, as well as to counter the buffing certain other classes have received. Ultimately though, this lowers the overall sustain of the Soulbeast, making their best defense a good offense. Due to this, VERY GOOD Soulbeast players can still side node duel, but ideally the newer Soulbeast builds have become more of a + and decap role, where Soulbeasts are aiming at play similar to an old D/P Thief. The Soulbeast can't stay in the fray of a team fight like a Core can, and side node duelist is risky for a Skirm/Beastmaster/Soulbeast because for all the kill power they have, they can die just as quickly from one mistake as they could 2 shot someone.

    In a nutshell, Core Ranger is a very nerfed Boonbeast. There is nothing special or new about Core Ranger, it isn't strong. It is in every way a kitten Boonbeast that offers nothing advantageous over running an actual Boonbeast build outside of it being easier to run in general.

    Speed rune, GS doesn't really lack mobility. It can still one shot just about any spec out there.

    ~ God Tier Guardian

  • What do we say before each match, Spongebob?

  • Yannir.4132Yannir.4132 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I originally started out playing different professions for PvE and PvP. Guardian for PvE and Necromancer for PvP. When you already play 2 classes, adding more to that isn't a big leap. Although learning how to play the Thief mobility wasn't an easy job after playing the 2 slowest classes in the game.
    Nowadays I play all classes to some degree but I do ranked maybe on 3 or 4 of them which change occasionally. I tend to learn builds instead of classes. My past builds include HoT period bunker/resbot Scrapper, Support Tempest, Bunker Druid, Reaper at almost all builds you can think of, Radiant GS Core Guard, Power Shiro Herald and D/P Daredevil. Spellbreaker and Support Firebrand are basically the only PoF builds I've played to any major degree.

  • Cyric.7813Cyric.7813 Member ✭✭✭

    @Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

    @AngelLovesFredrik.6741 said:

    @Trevor Boyer.6524 said:
    I actually had to play a lot of Condi DrD this season because Ranger specs have been nerfed so much.

    Core ranger is still one of the strongest builds out there.

    No, it isn't at all.

    I'm not sure where this "Core Ranger is strong" thing came from, but it just isn't for these reasons:

    1. Bad cleanse. Anything Condi-Mesmer based tears you up. It's cleanse is also bad to the point that strange off-meta condi builds that wouldn't normally be dangerous are dangerous when the Core Ranger has to engage it. This is particularly true in the case of Burn Guardian builds where the condi application is very consistent in small doses.
    2. Bad mobility, by far worse than Soulbeast or Druid. A Core Ranger can pull off 1v1s or skirmish in team fights, but it cannot disengage 2v1s and due to this it dies much easier when focused than a Soulbeast or Druid. This also means it's trash for side node play.
    3. It lacks Worldy Impact and Smoke Assault, which greatly narrows its ability to create openings for offense.

    I find that right now, the trio of Core, Druid, Soulbeast are best used for these purposes:

    • Core Ranger = Good in team fights when being splashed by boons from FBs and Scourges, ect ect. It can sustain enough to stay in the fray where a Soulbeast would need to dip out. And its damage becomes relatively threatening due to being able to stay in the fray, similar to Reaper play.
    • Druid = It is actually the better side node duelist, believe it or not. A Druid can inevitably survive or kill and win any 1v1, except for vs. Holo and Spellbreaker, which these two actually have kill opportunity against the Druid. The Druid unlike a Core or even Soulbeast, can kite 1v2 for days and not die. This is why the Druid is still the better Side Node duelist.
    • Soulbeast = Boonbeasty side node builds are dead. Anyone left running Soulbeast is running DPS. Most good Rangers who still run Soulbeast have discovered Skirm/Beastmaster/Soulbeast DPS specs, to make up for the recent nerfing Ranger has received in DPS, as well as to counter the buffing certain other classes have received. Ultimately though, this lowers the overall sustain of the Soulbeast, making their best defense a good offense. Due to this, VERY GOOD Soulbeast players can still side node duel, but ideally the newer Soulbeast builds have become more of a + and decap role, where Soulbeasts are aiming at play similar to an old D/P Thief. The Soulbeast can't stay in the fray of a team fight like a Core can, and side node duelist is risky for a Skirm/Beastmaster/Soulbeast because for all the kill power they have, they can die just as quickly from one mistake as they could 2 shot someone.

    In a nutshell, Core Ranger is a very nerfed Boonbeast. There is nothing special or new about Core Ranger, it isn't strong. It is in every way a kitten Boonbeast that offers nothing advantageous over running an actual Boonbeast build outside of it being easier to run in general.

    skirmishing soulbeast lul

  • I play almost all the classes in pvp except mesmer and elementalist.

    Core Ranger is the one I seem to have the best results with. It's just reliable.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.