Got a question to ask.

Hi all, i bought PoF+HoF yesterday and i am having a lot of fun in PoF (using my boosted character) and i would like to do 100% world completion for PoF. So far it is going really nice, i am unlocking mounts and their mastery and it is quite fun to play PoF overall.Now i would like to ask is HoT 100% world completion harder than PoF?

It is, because you will require leveling certain Masteries first, before you can move around freely. The first map alone requires quite a lot of gliding to get to the top POIs and Hero Challenges. Then again, some stuff could be reached with PoF mounts nowadays, but it's generally more of a hassle.

As Ash says it is. Depending on your preference it is either more fun or a major chore. HoT is all about maze like maps that extend upwards and can make it difficult to navigate. I really, really like that design a lot, however many people found it wearisome especially when you factor needing more masteries to get to every point (less of a problem considerably these days with mounts)

PoF has wide open maps, lots of settlements and varied scenery, HoT has mazes, verticality and a whole lot of jungle/caves and little else. If it sounds like your thing, go for it, but it is quite different to PoF.

Clearing Heart of Thorns is more difficult than Path of Fire maps. Mainly due to the mobs being tougher, not all maps being clear to navigate (hello Tangled Depths), and you need some masteries (some portals may do too and some mounts may be handy). And then we have the hero points.... Those mostly need to be done in a group (there are HP trains tho in lfg) or optionally you can buy unlock them via world versus world.

But honestly, take your time in Heart of Thorns. The maps are extremely fun with very nice meta's. I would argue they are nicer than PoF "core" maps.

@Dante.1508 said:Hot is a thousand times harder due to a lot of the maps, gated enemies and gated areas..

almost all of those(including alot of the areas in Dragons Stand) can be outright bypassed with mounts, i just mapped HOT on a character that has never done any of the HOT stories.(Used WVW for the hero points, cause lol screw that noise.) and was able to complete all of them. You -will- however need some of the HOT masteries still.

Don't listen to the people about the Hero Points in HoT...there's maybe a half dozen that need to be done in groups, the rest have all been changed(i.e.: nerfed) enough they can be done solo now, grouping just makes them easier and faster...and there's a couple of areas you won't be able to reach without the Itzel poison mastery, but you can always skip those areas as well

@Zaklex.6308 said:Don't listen to the people about the Hero Points in HoT...there's maybe a half dozen that need to be done in groups, the rest have all been changed(i.e.: nerfed) enough they can be done solo now, grouping just makes them easier and faster...and there's a couple of areas you won't be able to reach without the Itzel poison mastery, but you can always skip those areas as well

Im happy you didnt have an issue doing them solo, but not everyone is so good that they wont have issues, even the ones they nerfed can be punishing for certain classes that lack survive ability, dodges, or if the player doesnt know the fights to well. Its absolutely still a concern and source of problems for some players out there.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"Dante.1763" said:Its absolutely still a concern and source of problems for some players out there.

Not if you know how to make use of the map chat and LFG tool.

Some. That means more than one, and less than most. I'll be on Dante's side here, since I know more than one person who prefers playing solo. Which means alone. Which means NOT using map chat or the LFG on purpose as opposed to not knowing how(although I am also fairly sure there is more than one person out there who doesn't know how.) Sorry, Ash, usually you're spot on, but not this time.

Anyway, yes, HoT map completion(which means NOT "skipping" some areas) is more difficult than PoF BUT it becomes much easier WITH mounts. I actually recommend playing the story through, which will get you some mastery points, experience, and gradually open up waypoints and map areas without the stress of figuring out where and how to go on your own. HoT maps are some of my favorites now, because there are so many nifty areas you don't come across unless you're lost.

@Etria.3642 said:Some. That means more than one, and less than most. I'll be on Dante's side here, since I know more than one person who prefers playing solo. Which means alone. Which means NOT using map chat or the LFG on purpose as opposed to not knowing how(although I am also fairly sure there is more than one person out there who doesn't know how.)

Well, I do, too, in general. But with HoT hero challenges, those specific ones do require at least one more player for a smooth experience. I sincerely encourage people to avoid frustration (especially first-timers) by looking for a friendly assistant or two. :)

Sorry, Ash, usually you're spot on, but not this time.

:lol: All good. ;)

@"Whisperer.1584" said:You guys were talking about using wvw for hero points? What is that about?

WvW = World vs World, which is a large scale PvP game mode with its own set of maps. Because GW2 was designed with PvP as a major End game activity, both sPvP (5 man) and WvW have options to help power level Alts, so you won't have to take them through Open world and Story to develop them. As part a mainline Reward system, WvW awards "Testimonies of Heroics" that you can trade for Hero point unlocks, Rune/Sigils, and Gear recipes that normally require farming specific maps in the Expansions. This is done with the express purpose of ensuring dedicated WvW players have access to all the same gear options as PvE players (since unlike sPvP, equipped gear matters in WvW), but is streamlined on the Currency cost for the sake of simplicity.

Most WvW players also spend a significant amount of time in PvE, so its become popular to use WvW's stream lined reward system to get access to some hard to obtain resources, despite being less time efficient overall. However, getting into WvW is initially more difficult due to practical requirements. The types of builds used there is WAY DIFFERENT then anything Raids or Fractal use, and you're having to deal with fights ranging from 1v1 all the way up to 50vs50vs50. What scale you plan to fight at determines what kind of build you should run, how you get around the map, and what kind of fights you can risk taking part in. The Damage pressure in WvW is also higher then anything else in the game.... averaging anywhere between 50-100k DPS just from all the AOE damage that gets thrown around. The chaos can be overwhelming at first.... but once you learn to navigate the maps, its easier to avoid fights you don't expect to win.

If you plan on going to WvW, it helps to know someone who already plays so they can explain the main mechanics, the server culture, and help you get a serviceable build until you have more stuff unlocked. Most WvW fights are either Zerg vs Zerg or Roaming. Zergs are lead by commanders, which make them easy to follow around the map.... however, the type of fights they encounter requires a lot of coordination, certain team compositions, and has a lot of collateral damage. This creates a frustrating situation since they need a reliable team composition to sustain against massive incoming damage, and a lot will actively ice out non-meta builds on the assumption that you suck. The level of severity depends on the server culture....... though most servers have 1 or 2 Pugmanders/Guilds who are good working with Randos, and try to help train them so they get better at fighting.

The other major scale is Roaming/Havoc, which centers on small teams or Solos of higher skilled players taking objectives and messing with supply lines away from the zerg fights. This is a lot harder, as other Roamers are typically good in 1v1 fights, and going after the same objectives as you are. Their builds are also either a lot stronger, or a lot cheesier, since rapid take down is a lot more effective without dedicated supports to keep you alive. The majority are gank builds, but you'll also see a lot more off-meta builds with insane amounts of self sustain.

In terms of difficulty, following the Zerg is the easiest, but also very dangerous without being part of their squad. If you can't run one of the main Meta builds for whatever reason, the second best option is something that can offer Backline bombing or Backline sniping. This way you can try to stay out of the AOE bombs, and chip away at stragglers. Just keep in mind that there are a LOT of reflect skills up during the fight, so non-projectile AOE is desirable. Core builds that easiest to set up are Staff Ele, Hammer Rev, Shout Guardian, and Nike Warrior. Those have enough self sustain options or ranged AOE to not die immediately, and aren't hard to learn.

@Dante.1763 said:

@Zaklex.6308 said:Don't listen to the people about the Hero Points in HoT...there's maybe a half dozen that need to be done in groups, the rest have all been changed(i.e.: nerfed) enough they can be done solo now, grouping just makes them easier and faster...and there's a couple of areas you won't be able to reach without the Itzel poison mastery, but you can always skip those areas as well

Im happy you didnt have an issue doing them solo, but not everyone is so good that they wont have issues, even the ones they nerfed can be punishing for certain classes that lack survive ability, dodges, or if the player doesnt know the fights to well. Its absolutely still a concern and source of problems for some players out there.

I don't consider myself that good of a player, average at best...of course, unlike a lot of players I don't mind taking 10 - 20 minutes killing a single creature in this game...it is entertainment after all and the longer I can entertain myself the better.

Hehe i know what WvW is and that i can earn HP in it, but i was asking because of what Dante.1763 said, now i understand that he was earning HP in WvW instead of doing HP in HoT. I thought there was an item from WvW that grants you like finished HP in HoT lol....ah well one can hope :P

@Whisperer.1584 said:Hehe i know what WvW is and that i can earn HP in it, but i was asking because of what Dante.1763 said, now i understand that he was earning HP in WvW instead of doing HP in HoT. I thought there was an item from WvW that grants you like finished HP in HoT lol....ah well one can hope :P

There is, the scroll of heroics. Read the link that Linken.6345 posted above. One scroll is for PoF hero points, the other for HoT hero points. I used then to get one of my boosted chars all the HoT hero points and I had a lot left over for a second boosted character. And I'm not a hard-core WvW'er by any means.

@Dante.1763 said:

@Dante.1508 said:Hot is a thousand times harder due to a lot of the maps, gated enemies and gated areas..

almost all of those(including alot of the areas in Dragons Stand) can be outright bypassed with mounts, i just mapped HOT on a character that has never done any of the HOT stories.(Used WVW for the hero points, cause lol screw that noise.) and was able to complete all of them. You -will- however need some of the HOT masteries still.

Yes mounts made it easier but its still a horrible area.

@Kaliwenda.3428 said:

@Whisperer.1584 said:Hehe i know what WvW is and that i can earn HP in it, but i was asking because of what Dante.1763 said, now i understand that he was earning HP in WvW instead of doing HP in HoT. I thought there was an item from WvW that grants you like finished HP in HoT lol....ah well one can hope :P

There is, the scroll of heroics. Read the link that Linken.6345 posted above. One scroll is for PoF hero points, the other for HoT hero points. I used then to get one of my boosted chars all the HoT hero points and I had a lot left over for a second boosted character. And I'm not a hard-core WvW'er by any means.

WoW nice, thanks a lot for info!

@Dante.1508 said:

How? Using wvw for the HPs means not fighting the idiotic champions at said hero points, and with the mounts especially the skyscale you can bypass ;literately -all- combat in the maps.

@Dante.1763 said:

How? Using wvw for the HPs means not fighting the idiotic champions at said hero points, and with the mounts especially the skyscale you can bypass ;literately -all- combat in the maps.

Because of the insane grind many still do not own the skyscale, also me personally i never goto WvW, its not a gamemode i enjoy at all and seeing how dead it is most days i'm not alone.