People finally hating on condi thief

Dantheman.3589

Only a season or 2 ago everyone considered thief an unplayable class and everyone was on revenant. I however never played revenant and nearly quit when hot came out cuz I though revenant looked stupid. I was maybe the only actual thief player on Na and I felt I did pretty good solo qing to plat3. But right after rev gets nerfed and all of a sudden core s/d was meta again and everyone’s happy. Then deadly ambition gets added and months later condi thief is “viable” but not as “good or skillful” as core S/d. This situation makes no sense to me. Yes I was plat3 on core S/d when no played it but I can assure you this spec was still hardly the best and now that scourge FB won’t be seen I see no reason to play that build. Everyone mostly focuses the hate on condi s/d now that it’s meta but don’t realize it’s been a strong build since forever. I see everyone on the forums complain about condi thief but my question is do u really wanna delete it? I’m a thief main and I can assure you that this build has been viable for a long time and it’s not even close to its prime- rn there’s so many thief builds and if we try and kill condi thief(again) we are gonna see some new even more brain dead thief builds like bunker staff and deadeyes and trust me they will be everywhere and it’s gonna be twice as brain dead. I just don’t get why ppl hate on thief builds that have been around forever when they just never took the time to learn how to fight them.

ive been a d/d condi thief for over 2 years now. I used to get made fun of for playing condi thief. and this was before the condi traits and traps were nerfed. 4 months ago, condi thief was twice as deadly as it is now. Its funny that back when condi thief was the most deadly and cheesiest. People didn't mind. Now it gets nerfed and you cant apply near as much poison as you could pre-nerf, people are going crazy crying about how op condi thief is... Where were all these tears 4 mo ago when you could easily stack 25 poison on a person instantly?

@rowdy.5107 said:ive been a d/d condi thief for over 2 years now. I used to get made fun of for playing condi thief. and this was before the condi traits and traps were nerfed. 4 months ago, condi thief was twice as deadly as it is now. Its funny that back when condi thief was the most deadly and cheesiest. People didn't mind. Now it gets nerfed and you cant apply near as much poison as you could pre-nerf, people are going crazy crying about how op condi thief is... Where were all these tears 4 mo ago when you could easily stack 25 poison on a person instantly?

When did condi dd get nerfed recently? IIRC The recent balance patch didn't touch condi dd.

The build that is being hated on is s/d condi daredevil.

But if we are being honest, there are some key differences now, than a few seasons ago.

I want to start with one that most people are forgetting, escapist fortitude. This use to be a minor and a major master, too different traits, withe the condi removal being an optional pick.

Also, while swipe is only 600 range, s/d can make up for the gap. Swipe is also unlockable. And, it is a lower cd now too.

Deadly ambition is also new. It boost condi damage and gives free poison application, regardless of weapon. It even works on damage from dodge's, and utilities.

S2 and evades clear condis, as well as either a dodge, or stunbreak...(this is old stuff), so the build has a little more freedom.

You can bring another condi clear or another stundbreak.

You can choose a different tune because of the condi boost from deadly ambition, perhaps one that gives bonus movement speed.

It is actually a very safe build, very effective, and very forgiving.

Brain dead builds maybe include staff staff and perma stealth DE....but I dont know.

I do know that generally, at this point in the game, condition thief builds are more effective in the general populations hands by a large margin.

Very rarely if you see a thief, it would be anything other than condi s/x dd.

It's even rare to see them in unranked on any other build.

We know the other strengths....porting in and out, and plenty of cover condos.

People are playing it more because it did in fact become better.

@Crab Fear.1624 said:The build that is being hated on is s/d condi daredevil.

But if we are being honest, there are some key differences now, than a few seasons ago.

I want to start with one that most people are forgetting, escapist fortitude. This use to be a minor and a major master, too different traits, withe the condi removal being an optional pick.

Also, while swipe is only 600 range, s/d can make up for the gap. Swipe is also unlockable. And, it is a lower cd now too.

Deadly ambition is also new. It boost condi damage and gives free poison application, regardless of weapon. It even works on damage from dodge's, and utilities.

S2 and evades clear condis, as well as either a dodge, or stunbreak...(this is old stuff), so the build has a little more freedom.

You can bring another condi clear or another stundbreak.

You can choose a different tune because of the condi boost from deadly ambition, perhaps one that gives bonus movement speed.

It is actually a very safe build, very effective, and very forgiving.

Brain dead builds maybe include staff staff and perma stealth DE....but I dont know.

I do know that generally, at this point in the game, condition thief builds are more effective in the general populations hands by a large margin.

Very rarely if you see a thief, it would be anything other than condi s/x dd.

It's even rare to see them in unranked on any other build.

We know the other strengths....porting in and out, and plenty of cover condos.

People are playing it more because it did in fact become better.

Lol they already made the daredevil change in the time period I’m talking about and yet still no one noticed condi thief was viable until months later even a good bit of time after they mentioned deadly ambition. What your saying is essentially my point proven. But yes that’s part of why it’s good though it was still viable without the changes.

@Dantheman.3589 said:Only a season or 2 ago everyone considered thief an unplayable class and everyone was on revenant. I however never played revenant and nearly quit when hot came out cuz I though revenant looked stupid. I was maybe the only actual thief player on Na and I felt I did pretty good solo qing to plat3. But right after rev gets nerfed and all of a sudden core s/d was meta again and everyone’s happy. Then deadly ambition gets added and months later condi thief is “viable” but not as “good or skillful” as core S/d. This situation makes no sense to me. Yes I was plat3 on core S/d when no played it but I can assure you this spec was still hardly the best and now that scourge FB won’t be seen I see no reason to play that build. Everyone mostly focuses the hate on condi s/d now that it’s meta but don’t realize it’s been a strong build since forever. I see everyone on the forums complain about condi thief but my question is do u really wanna delete it? I’m a thief main and I can assure you that this build has been viable for a long time and it’s not even close to its prime- rn there’s so many thief builds and if we try and kill condi thief(again) we are gonna see some new even more brain dead thief builds like bunker staff and deadeyes and trust me they will be everywhere and it’s gonna be twice as brain dead. I just don’t get why ppl hate on thief builds that have been around forever when they just never took the time to learn how to fight them.

Who would want to learn to fight something which have consistent condition application (or damage), consistent evasion and consistent disengage and re-engage? Where is the counter play to this? Condi mirage is exactly the same, it is the playstyle which makes the game not fun. Every time they nerf it shuts everyone up for a while, or everyone gives up complaining for a bit but the peoples complaint has always been that it is a brain dead build to play and play against. It's repetitive, easy, and therefore boring.

How can you enjoy fighting a build which literally the only thing you do is time the end of their dodge? Exactly the same with staff theif. It's simple and easy to play and it's simple to fight, but it punishes bad behaviour too hard, it stomps in a +1 too hard, too easy. It's the fact that any noob can pick it up and spam buttons and trash players right up to plat, not having any idea of rotations or complex mechanics. It's the fact that anybody can swap to it to counter enemy comps even though they have only had 5 minutes learning the class. It is an unfair advantage which is not healthy for the game.

Really I even get what you are saying, it's not that bad. If you are on a decent team most people won't push it in a 1v1 when they have no cleanse or blow all their cd's to the point where they cant even escape. But the question remains is it healthy for the game in it's current state? Is it fun to fight against? Is it fair game to fight it? Does it have counter play? My answer is no, but w/e I really don't care I'll continue to ignore the powerful cheese builds during season and pick more enjoyable fights.

Going back to the game in it's current state, with low population causing thrown matchmaking, can we do anything to stop playing with bad players? No. What we can do is nerf the cheesiest builds out there enough that they don't have such a massive impact against players who clearly have no idea what they are doing which then causes more people climbing which really shouldn't be.

Sometimes people who cry do themselves no favours, what they don't seem to explain or understand themselves is that sometimes it's not just cheese builds annoying them, it's the constant knock on effects these builds have which annoys them even further.

Because condi thief is braindeadBecause it takes zero effort to do dmgBecause bad players can play it quite effectivelyBecause its easy to farm bad and average players with itBecause condi is supposed to be DoT, not burst

It doesnt matter how long the build has been around. People start complaining about it once people start playing it. Thief is supposed to be a high mobility burst class, which is not suitable for anything condi related whatsoever.

@H a z Z y.1762 said:

@rowdy.5107 said:ive been a d/d condi thief for over 2 years now. I used to get made fun of for playing condi thief. and this was before the condi traits and traps were nerfed. 4 months ago, condi thief was twice as deadly as it is now. Its funny that back when condi thief was the most deadly and cheesiest. People didn't mind. Now it gets nerfed and you cant apply near as much poison as you could pre-nerf, people are going crazy crying about how op condi thief is... Where were all these tears 4 mo ago when you could easily stack 25 poison on a person instantly?

When did condi dd get nerfed recently? IIRC The recent balance patch didn't touch condi dd.

Pretty sure potent poison was nerfed over a year ago.

@Itz Jay.8941 said:

@Dantheman.3589 said:Only a season or 2 ago everyone considered thief an unplayable class and everyone was on revenant. I however never played revenant and nearly quit when hot came out cuz I though revenant looked stupid. I was maybe the only actual thief player on Na and I felt I did pretty good solo qing to plat3. But right after rev gets nerfed and all of a sudden core s/d was meta again and everyone’s happy. Then deadly ambition gets added and months later condi thief is “viable” but not as “good or skillful” as core S/d. This situation makes no sense to me. Yes I was plat3 on core S/d when no played it but I can assure you this spec was still hardly the best and now that scourge FB won’t be seen I see no reason to play that build. Everyone mostly focuses the hate on condi s/d now that it’s meta but don’t realize it’s been a strong build since forever. I see everyone on the forums complain about condi thief but my question is do u really wanna delete it? I’m a thief main and I can assure you that this build has been viable for a long time and it’s not even close to its prime- rn there’s so many thief builds and if we try and kill condi thief(again) we are gonna see some new even more brain dead thief builds like bunker staff and deadeyes and trust me they will be everywhere and it’s gonna be twice as brain dead. I just don’t get why ppl hate on thief builds that have been around forever when they just never took the time to learn how to fight them.

Who would want to learn to fight something which have consistent condition application (or damage), consistent evasion and consistent disengage and re-engage? Where is the counter play to this? Condi mirage is exactly the same, it is the playstyle which makes the game not fun. Every time they nerf it shuts everyone up for a while, or everyone gives up complaining for a bit but the peoples complaint has always been that it is a brain dead build to play and play against. It's repetitive, easy, and therefore boring.

How can you enjoy fighting a build which literally the only thing you do is time the end of their dodge? Exactly the same with staff theif. It's simple and easy to play and it's simple to fight, but it punishes bad behaviour too hard, it stomps in a +1 too hard, too easy. It's the fact that any noob can pick it up and spam buttons and trash players right up to plat, not having any idea of rotations or complex mechanics. It's the fact that anybody can swap to it to counter enemy comps even though they have only had 5 minutes learning the class. It is an unfair advantage which is not healthy for the game.

Really I even get what you are saying, it's not that bad. If you are on a decent team most people won't push it in a 1v1 when they have no cleanse or blow all their cd's to the point where they cant even escape. But the question remains is it healthy for the game in it's current state? Is it fun to fight against? Is it fair game to fight it? Does it have counter play? My answer is no, but w/e I really don't care I'll continue to ignore the powerful cheese builds during season and pick more enjoyable fights.

Going back to the game in it's current state, with low population causing thrown matchmaking, can we do anything to stop playing with bad players? No. What we can do is nerf the cheesiest builds out there enough that they don't have such a massive impact against players who clearly have no idea what they are doing which then causes more people climbing which really shouldn't be.

Sometimes people who cry do themselves no favours, what they don't seem to explain or understand themselves is that sometimes it's not just cheese builds annoying them, it's the constant knock on effects these builds have which annoys them even further.

Condi thief is like condi mirage the real difference is condi mirage could pump sustain while the largest weakness to condi thief is sustain. Condi thief is so ez to beat if u burst it down and this can be done by Deadeyes and even core thief or half the builds in the meta. Why complain about large amounts of dodges when guess what using your dodges for damage makes it ez to get killed. Just count dodges any good thief will tell you this pepeclap

@Dantheman.3589 said:

Condi thief is like condi mirage the real difference is condi mirage could pump sustain while the largest weakness to condi thief is sustain. Condi thief is so ez to beat if u burst it down and this can be done by Deadeyes and even core thief or half the builds in the meta. Why complain about large amounts of dodges when guess what using your dodges for damage makes it ez to get killed. Just count dodges any good thief will tell you this pepeclap

If you read what I had said and understood it you would not have made the assumption that I have trouble fighting condi theif in a 1v1, take things a little bit further I don't even bother 1v1ing them most of the time because they are even easier to kill when they are focusing something else.

@Itz Jay.8941 said:

If you read what I had said and understood it you would not have made the assumption that I have trouble fighting condi theif in a 1v1, take things a little bit further I don't even bother 1v1ing them most of the time because they are even easier to kill when they are focusing something else.

I did read what u said and never mentioned 1v1s. The fact remains that unlike what you said there is counter play, though I don’t think others notice how even classes like deadeye can hard counter because of one thing you mentioned it is punishing bad play very hard and I actually think that’s a good thing. Maybe condi thief is too good rn but I don’t think it’s anywhere close to the point where it’s uncounterable or should be deleted, like I pointed out it’s always been good at 1v1ing but Ive never complained about condi thief because as a thief main I learned what it’s like very quickly.

it's easy friends, every class/build, that can kill another player using a 2 or 3 button rotation will be banned as "braindead", "unskilled", "easy", etc..specially when you can spam this rotationeven more if your damage rotation also has some sort of sustain (damaging while blocking or evading)and even more if they are condi, because you know, you just need to apply, bait and repeatlets not forget eles are pressing the whole keyboard without even beeing able to kill one single player in most cases, and those fellas deserve to have fun toobut the same happens to every other class, after condi mirage was heavily nerfed, people started to play ci mirage, look how that went, never in the history of gw2 a trait was completely disabled during a month... such a shame

but anyway i wouldn't even waste time in this forum anymore, mods ban without real reasons, devs don't even care bout pvpers, and you are losing time that you could spend having fun with your build, before it's heavily nerfed, and trust me it will get heavily nerfed soon, too much tears already to ignore it

take it from someone who waited till 2 weeks before chrono got dele... i mean "reworked" to actually learn how to do the double one shot with continium split, and i've been playing mesmer since 2015, so much potential fun wasted