Need help with making my Guardian build.

Cheshire Rabbid.7430

I'm trying to come up with a good build for my Guardian but I'm a bit stuck. What I'm trying to go for is a bucky Guardian with how the Guardian seems to have skill and traits that supported the idead of blocking and healing. But now I'm trying to figure out how to put some DPS in my build as even though I don't mind doing some side healing to people near me I'm mostly a DPS guy but I don't know what three spec to choose, Gear is also a problem as I know that I would need toughness and healing power but with one trait that makes the more variety I have the more powerful my healing it so it hard to find that has all three and some kind of DPS stat. Take a look at what I got so far and tell me what I should try for my Guardian

You're going about this backwards..... First you have to look at the game mode you're running in, and determine how much need actually exists for certain stats. For open world, Guardians don't need healing power since most players have decently strong self heals, and most of Guard's outgoing healing skills scale more weakly due to devs trying to load on the Healing % traits. This results in moderate Healing investment not being worth the loss in other areas. This is on top of the fact that Guardian is a much stronger support via the mechanical effectiveness of Boons, Condition cleanse, and Blocks.

Secondly, you can't effectively split between DPS and anything else at the same time due to how Guardian's traits work. 2 of the 3 is much more possible, but the trait trickery required tends to monopolize your utility skills to make it work. Ultimately the problem here is Guardian meta builds are far too valuable to group comps to allow using them as Hybrids. The more successful hybrids are geared more specifically to PvP, since Guardians can get a lot more mileage out of their support and control abilities there.

Theres only one build for Firebrand where this kind of/sort of works on all 3 vectors, but its only usable in Open world and limited use in WvW. A Cele Firebrand tries to leverage the large stat block total of Celestials to get a good mix of condi damage, healing power, and effective HP, but your damage potential is entirely scaled on the size of the engagement. IE: DPS and self-sustain in 1v1 fights is painfully low, but because you're mostly AOE, it rapidly scale up as more allies or enemies surround you.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PWwAc+ZlZweYbMJmJWyWbvfA-zRZYVhfMiAzoBKkcSgEKgEDhqjAA-e

The Rune slot is open because I've yet to find a perfect match for this. Boon duration is desirable (better quickness uptime), but you could opt for Movement speed, or any other effect you think might be useful. If you can't decide, Traveler or Firebrand runes are straight forward.

The majority of your normal damage comes from Burning. Justice's Passive does an AOE burn every 3 hits; and since Axe cleaves and double strikes, hitting 3 enemies with auto attack is 2 stacks of burning every swing. Torch 5 is 1 burn stack every pulse, 10 plus the 2 from skill if it fully channels. And keep in mind Justice burns are 5-target AOE. This is what I meant about scaling up with engagement size.

Justice Tome also resets CD on kill thanks to Radiance trait line, so keep using it back to back in large metas. Just make sure to store the tome before the last enemy dies so it triggers CD reset correctly. Even if you miss it, axe fills perfectly fine. If you want more defense control, you can opt for shield and change to Aegis Mantra (healing skill) for On Demand block. However, Receive the light is just way more flexible since it can heal up after taking a bad hit, where Aegis has to be timed and can't deal with AOE heavy fights well. Meter out your Quickness mantra so you can either burst a series of attacks, or bolster your healing skills (since Quickness give +250 healing power).

Tomes 2 and 3 are mostly for situational use. They are your bread and butter in WvW, but for Open world they boost sustain for yourself and those around you in really dicey fights. For POF maps in particular, especially bounties, the tomes can turn a fight around quickly.

I tested a full plaguedoctor build for open world and was fine. Condi was there and so healing. Especially with firebrand runes.But as previous post said you can't go for all of them.Cele firebrand is the best solution for everything, but then you will make your character something like Jack of all trades, master of none.

Thank you for telling me how bed this build is. I'm wither new to the Guardian thing so I don't know much about the class. So I went back to the drawing board and came up with this. Since healing is not that big since everyone can do It I decided to try the whole boon/DPS thing. I hope with this I can put a lot of boon on me and those who happened to be near me while still be able to keep up with DPS. The load of healing I have on it is just for me since it does seem like the Guardian does seem to have a load of healing opinions that can't be avoide And since I know people will ask, I mostly do PvE stuff like Open world.

@Seteruss.4058 said:I tested a full plaguedoctor build for open world and was fine. Condi was there and so healing. Especially with firebrand runes.But as previous post said you can't go for all of them.Cele firebrand is the best solution for everything, but then you will make your character something like Jack of all trades, master of none.

As a Former Ele from before the D/D trait nerfs.....Jack of All Trades used to be a powerful thing. With all the talk of WoW classic recently, I learned something interesting about Metas. Druid in WoW had 90% effectiveness in 3 different raid roles; and was unilaterally rejected by the Meta because another class could be 10% better. The Devs then tweaked it up to 95%, and that still wasn't enough. The take away is that the Player base's obsession with optimization is what perpetuates so much of that Community's self-inflected problems.

GW2's build system (and to a lesser extent GW1) is designed in a way that easily enables a class to be good enough in multiple areas, which enable them to be their own force multipliers. D/D Ele was serviceable in PvP for a long time; more so then Staff given staff's lack of close range solutions against a primarily Melee favoring meta. But it reached god-tier status when Celestial stats came out, because Ele's core design could make good use every single stat. The more narrowly focused classes where always hampered by how their skills scaled with stats, because the assumption of stacking factored into that scaling.

Guardians were also similar to Ele, in that they couldn't be the best in one specific area, but could be decently strong in multiple area at the same time. This was back before balance shifted into pigeon holing all builds into mutual exclusion, and grossly overwhelming damage wasn't normal. I miss those days......

@"sdt.1697" said:Is my new build ok for PvE or are there changes that can be made.

This is what I previously came up with and was very happy with for open world. It has much more power, precision and ferocity than yours, but has less health and toughness. Overall, you will still have quite a bit of tankiness but will kill much quicker. I loved my FB, but found this more fun.https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/83393/wandering-guardian-core-owhttp://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?vVUQNAR7dnkICVDhNDBGCBEEhj4hqGANQ9aLh8NSv7bMkDA-jxBBQBB4iAcQ1fyjuhso8DAPBgot/gjUCCA-e