Deadeye in PvP is so crap i cant believe it

DeerHunter.4129

So its like at begining deadeye's DPS is very crap and EVERYTHING is depending whether or not he can land that ONE special stealth shot. And you are forced to stay still if you want to do decent damage at all. And that is the very problem, as the PvP combat is proceeding, EVERYONE are running and moving like hell, so all the time you have to get unobscured, follow the battle because you got out of range, retarget your target because he used skill (which from long range can be super difficult as everyone are running and there can be 5 pets running around too). Now all that is normal and everyone are doing it, but deadeye is forced to stand up, sit down, stand up, sit down stand up sit down.... only to find out that his shot got evaded or blocked..

My point is that compared to other characters and other Thief PvP options Deadeye's way to deal his damage is SUPER vulnerable to failing.. other characters and thiefs can do the same DPS without such a high hassle and chance of failing. I think instead of making deadeye unable to move at all, he should be able to move slowly and that special shot shouldnt require stealth. Then it would be at the same level in actual delivered DPS.

@"DeerHunter.4129" said:My point is that compared to other characters and other Thief PvP options Deadeye's way to deal his damage is SUPER vulnerable to failing.. other characters and thiefs can do the same DPS without such a high hassle

Sometimes DE truly has hard time landing his shots but the statement I put in Bold right there is a bullshit. I keep getting 10k shots on me while I have Tougness amulet, Protection and Medium armor, that is nowhere near "others can do same DPS as DE without hassle", DE has shit tons more single target burst Power DMG than almost any other spec in game, for that reason people who loved Revenant are soon gonna re-discover one-shot DE and you will see many more of them, not saying it is too broken but its DMG is definitely absolute top tier.

Thing is that once Deadeye puts his mark on somebody, hes forced to deal damage ONLY to that person, he cannot switch target, if he does he loses 50% of the DPS he produces because he wont generate malice on the new target and thus is unable to use stealth shot... and stealtshot is basicly 50% of the DPS deadeye does. In PvP your target runs away, stealthes, breaks targeting, gets behind object or someone else attacks you and you need to DPS that one, or for gameplay reasons you would want to change target to some more important person... cant do without losing 50% of your DPS.

Deadeye is full of disabilities instead of abilities:-Hes forced to stay still if he wants to do normal DPS-Hes forced to focus on one same target for LONG period or he loses 50% of his DPS....-You spend useless "DPS-free" seconds on marking and sitting and standing and stealthing to get the special shot-Hes forced to land multiple shots on same marked target in order to be able to use ability that forms 50% of his DPS.. other characters dont have such restrictions.

So in PvP you basicly run around in order to be even able to hit the target, thats -25% damage, then if you need to switch target and your mark is still on cooldown thats -50% damage.. so in PvP you very often dont reach to 100% damage as Deadeye because PvP combat moves and gets behind objects.. my point is that other classes dont have that kind of hassle reaching their max DPS and that is why Deadeye is basicly useless in PvP.. its not that good in PvE either

I dont understand. U picked a spec that has perma invisibility access but u dislike its drawbacks? Its drawbacks are there so it doesn't become absurdly broken. A good DE can literally burst u to 10% hp from one rifle burst from stealth and has range on its side to pew pew pew +1's easily but unless running g o good off hand set is weak in close range as it should be. There are good DE melee builds as well. I just think u need some more playtime on the spec.

@DeerHunter.4129 said:So its like at begining deadeye's DPS is very kitten and EVERYTHING is depending whether or not he can land that ONE special stealth shot. And you are forced to stay still if you want to do decent damage at all. And that is the very problem, as the PvP combat is proceeding, EVERYONE are running and moving like hell, so all the time you have to get unobscured, follow the battle because you got out of range, retarget your target because he used skill (which from long range can be super difficult as everyone are running and there can be 5 pets running around too). Now all that is normal and everyone are doing it, but deadeye is forced to stand up, sit down, stand up, sit down stand up sit down.... only to find out that his shot got evaded or blocked..

is this a troll post? you mean DE the one with the rifle that gives stealth, has same range as untraited ranger longbow, stuns on steal, has poisons, can perma stealth with d/p+rifle combo (litterally perma stealth all the time, look up malicious backstab build), has one of the best and longest teleports in game which he can use twice to disengage, and even a signet with a teleport integrated in case you miss gap closer on stealyou mean that DE???maybe you are just not beeing creative if you only dedicate to enter stealth sit down and wait for your shot...

My point is that compared to other characters and other Thief PvP options Deadeye's way to deal his damage is SUPER vulnerable to failing.. other characters and thiefs can do the same DPS without such a high hassle and chance of failing. I think instead of making deadeye unable to move at all, he should be able to move slowly and that special shot shouldnt require stealth. Then it would be at the same level in actual delivered DPS.

btw, as you said DE can almost one shot players with that stealth shot, fine, yet the only other two classes that can one shot from a few skills are mesmers, which since the removal of stun on mantra it's pretty hard to do and easy to dodge, even when you come out of stealth, and longbow rangers, which can be canceled by 1 dodge under cover, or one well placed teleport...

@kraai.7265 said:

@DeerHunter.4129 said:So its like at begining deadeye's DPS is very kitten and EVERYTHING is depending whether or not he can land that ONE special stealth shot. And you are forced to stay still if you want to do decent damage at all. And that is the very problem, as the PvP combat is proceeding, EVERYONE are running and moving like hell, so all the time you have to get unobscured, follow the battle because you got out of range, retarget your target because he used skill (which from long range can be super difficult as everyone are running and there can be 5 pets running around too). Now all that is normal and everyone are doing it, but deadeye is forced to stand up, sit down, stand up, sit down stand up sit down.... only to find out that his shot got evaded or blocked..

is this a troll post? you mean DE the one with the rifle that gives stealth, has same range as untraited ranger longbow, stuns on steal, has poisons, can perma stealth with d/p+rifle combo (litterally perma stealth all the time, look up malicious backstab build), has one of the best and longest teleports in game which he can use twice to disengage, and even a signet with a teleport integrated in case you miss gap closer on stealyou mean that DE???maybe you are just not beeing creative if you only dedicate to enter stealth sit down and wait for your shot...

btw, as you said DE can almost one shot players with that stealth shot, fine, yet the only other two classes that can one shot from a few skills are mesmers, which since the removal of stun on mantra it's pretty hard to do and easy to dodge, even when you come out of stealth, and longbow rangers, which can be canceled by 1 dodge under cover, or one well placed teleport...

It only has the same range number as Rangers longbow. Its actual range is about 300 units shorter, because Rangers Longbow arrows arc instead of despawning at the range limit. And the arc is very generous. Deadeye cannot stun on marking. Im not sure if it ever could, either? The permastealth is dumb, but its not good at all in sPvP, so thats a moot point, and Deaths Retreat is worse than Shortbow 5 as always.

Anyway his point is that Deadeye sucks in sPvP (correct, it does) and that its damage is pathetic (correct, it is. Seriously, Longbow ranger does more damage with just the autoattack if you dont get to hit DJ).

@UNOwen.7132 said:

It only has the same range number as Rangers longbow. Its actual
range
is about 300 units shorter, because Rangers Longbow arrows arc instead of despawning at the range limit. And the arc is very generous. Deadeye cannot stun on marking. Im not sure if it ever could, either? The permastealth is dumb, but its not good at all in sPvP, so thats a moot point, and Deaths Retreat is worse than Shortbow 5 as always.

well didn't know that about rangers, good piece of info, still the range is ok i think, for a sniper class, we don't need more of those builds, also you are right with the stun, i meant daze but it only works while using acro traitline, yet using shadow arts you can stealth wich adds to the positioning aspect op was so concerned about

permastealth is actually op, i've been using that last few weeks, and i can't belive how easy it is to play as, you only need to chose your fights well and don't hasitate to either attack, or wait for a better opportunity, also it's a 1v1 build that mainly goes from home to far, if enemy team won't cap our home i just harass whoever is in charge of theirs.. easy wins

Anyway his point is that Deadeye sucks in sPvP (correct, it does) and that its damage is pathetic (correct, it is. Seriously, Longbow ranger does more damage with just the autoattack if you dont get to hit DJ).

well sucks or not it matters of who plays it, as i stated before im using malicious backstab build and im overperforming in every match, also it's almost impossible to get killed for me, damage isn't pathetic, even when im not aming for 19k backstabs on stealth, i get to down reapers, or guardians with just a few 2 and 3 from rifle at a distance, so i can't understand why are you complaining, but however you want, ask for more range, also give more damage, and that ranger arrow turning effect too, that sounds completely balanced lmao

@Alatar.7364 said:

@"DeerHunter.4129" said:My point is that compared to other characters and other Thief PvP options Deadeye's way to deal his damage is SUPER vulnerable to failing.. other characters and thiefs
can do the same DPS without such a high hassle

Sometimes DE truly has hard time landing his shots but the statement I put in Bold right there is a kitten. I keep getting 10k shots on me while I have Tougness amulet, Protection and Medium armor, that is nowhere near
"others can do same DPS as DE without hassle"
, DE has kitten tons more single target burst Power DMG than almost any other spec in game, for that reason people who loved Revenant are soon gonna re-discover one-shot DE and you will see many more of them, not saying it is too broken but its DMG is definitely absolute top tier.

Far from it. Its damage is pretty bad. Pretty much the entire damage lies in Death's Judgment, a skill that is very telegraphed, and as a result doesnt hit. And well, even when it does hit, its max damage is about a 3.4 scaling, which is a lot, until you remember that Rapid Fire does more without any build-up, as do Ghastly claws. And a lot less than the burst combos that, say, Revenant, Mesmer, Greatsword Soulbeast and a couple others have. And DEs "Burst" is incredibly slow due to the need to stack up malice, which gives the enemy more time to prepare. So nah, DE doesnt have good burst, and the pople who switch from revenant are certainly not gonna go to DE. They are used to playing good builds.

@kraai.7265 said:

It only has the same range number as Rangers longbow. Its actual
range
is about 300 units shorter, because Rangers Longbow arrows arc instead of despawning at the range limit. And the arc is very generous. Deadeye cannot stun on marking. Im not sure if it ever could, either? The permastealth is dumb, but its not good at all in sPvP, so thats a moot point, and Deaths Retreat is worse than Shortbow 5 as always.

well didn't know that about rangers, good piece of info, still the range is ok i think, for a sniper class, we don't need more of those builds, also you are right with the stun, i meant daze but it only works while using acro traitline, yet using shadow arts you can stealth wich adds to the positioning aspect op was so concerned about

permastealth is actually op, i've been using that last few weeks, and i can't belive how easy it is to play as, you only need to chose your fights well and don't hasitate to either attack, or wait for a better opportunity, also it's a 1v1 build that mainly goes from home to far, if enemy team won't cap our home i just harass whoever is in charge of theirs.. easy wins

well sucks or not it matters of who plays it, as i stated before im using malicious backstab build and im overperforming in every match, also it's almost impossible to get killed for me, damage isn't pathetic, even when im not aming for 19k backstabs on stealth, i get to down reapers, or guardians with just a few 2 and 3 from rifle at a distance, so i can't understand why are you complaining, but however you want, ask for more range, also give more damage, and that ranger arrow turning effect too, that sounds completely balanced lmao

Eh personally Id give Rifle a full rework. Its in a weird spot anyway, where in PvE, you have to kneel or the weapon is useless, whereas in PvP you have to not kneel, or the weapon underperforms. Its just a mess all-around.

• 3 weeks later...

@"DeerHunter.4129" said:Deadeye is full of disabilities instead of abilities

I think what's happening is that you have not experienced how higher-level Rifle Deadeyes conduct themselves in sPvP matches.https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/59666/plat-level-deadeyes-of-pvp-whats-your-rotation-strat

There are actually several builds that are workable (I'm terrible at Thief but I watch them a lot):Hitzer (NA) (Twitch) had a Critical Strikes/Trickery build with Trick utilities that is not dependent on Steal effectsFaeleth (EU) (Twitch) uses the standard DA/Trick/Mercy Steal-heavy build for huge all-in effectClown (NA) (Twitch) also uses DA/Trick/Mercy but also runs Binding Shadow for even more guarantee on the +1There are also a few Thieves running around in Plat with Rifle Deadeye but they are mostly Thieves with a lot of experience in the class and have strong transferable skills.You can run S/P, D/P or even S/D on the other set, depending on matchups and trait setups.I have no idea about Condi Deadeye, but they seem to work too. P/D is more of a WvW thing though.

Mainly it's not about the damage (of which the Deadeye gets for insane +1 output, in place of traditional Thief mobility).It's about Situational Awareness, also known as the slang "Game Sense" (this one is

but idea is the same).Being able to choose the best fight to +1 into, choosing the most valued target, choosing a positioning with good LoS, and then choosing the right moment to all-in with Mark Quickness burst into a full Malice Death's Judgment, then choosing whether to assist further with S/P spam (or initiating with it) to cleave out the kill and complete the snowball.It's about Appraisal skills. Assess that the job is already done, and proceed to progress the match with further kills and decapping; or, realize that the plan has failed, and recover with disengage to decap or look for another +1 opportunity. Your grasp of what is happening on the map has to be high, as with all good Thief players.

That said Deadeyes are rather fragile even by Thief standards as they don't have as much vertical mobility without the Shortbow (you can use it but other toolsets are better) and have to really know the kiting and no-port spots to avoid becoming perma-dead once the other team goes after your sweet kitten.