[FEEDBACK] Guardian random tweaks (buffs)

Ashimmu.4219

Hello, I've gathered my random thoughts about possible Guardian tweaks which might give inspiration for upcoming balance changes.Aim is to improve experience and enjoyability when playing this class.I looked from PVP perspective.What do you say, folks?

Traits

1) Swap traits "Zealous Blade" of Zeal and "Radiant Fire" of Radiance.This will allow to finally connect GS trait and the weapon, still having Radiance traitline picked (powerbuilders).

2) Trait "Inner Fire" of Radiance gives Fury if you hit target with 3stacks of Burning.But condition damage does not crit. Fury bonus has no purpose here and wasted.How about: "Increase condition damage by 150 under effect of Fury"?

3) "Shattered Aegis" of Zeal explodes with physical damage.Keeping in mind that this is a final trait in the line (very powerful), how about to add some Burning and/or Blindness effect to it?Thus, having boosted condition damage/duration it might be attractive.Or.Just make it full Burning, or 50/50% damage split.. etc.

4) "Symbolic Avenger" of Zeal is simple +10% to damage.Considering that "Eternal Armoury" is here we need to add meaningful bounus to make it viable.How about to add new effect to "Symbolic Avenger" - uncorruptable fear immunity?It's even good from roleplay perspective - fearless paladin fighting the undead - no shirts given!

5) "Right-Hand Strength" of Radiance has very insignificant +80 bonus to power/precision along with reduced Sword skills recharge.How about toa) shift power share to precision, which will net us 160 points of precision when wielding Sword;b) add 4sec Retaliation effect to "Sword Wave" (last 3rd strike of autoattack). To boost critchance, since we have to choice between this and "Healer's Retribution".Also, it compliments Guardian's archetype - be defensive (to retaliate - not offend!).

6) "Pure Of Voice" of Honour converts conditions on allies into boons.How about to add self-healing effect (something around 600points) per condition converted.If you convert 3 conditions from teammates and yourself combined it will give you 1800hp from single Shout, which is almost in line with Meditation guardian sustain (yet very conditional).It benefits teamfighting most, since more conditions can be removed.It could make Shout guardian playable, finally dropping that omnipresent Meditation traitline.I feel, actual Shouts should be redesigned too, but with more pronounced purpose. Still, I have no propositions atm.

7) "Invigorated Bulwark" of Honour and "Focus Mastery" of Valor.First - adds to Mace skills Protection effect (3sec). Including 3rd autoattack skill - Faithful strike.Second replaces Protection bonus with Resistance bonus (with duration toned down, of course).This was from logical point of view - Mace is more 'earthly' thing, and Focus is more 'magical'.

Skills

1) All Consecration skills should have reduced cooldown.Sanctuary and Hallowed Ground are very good attractive skills, but cooldown is the reason why almost no one uses them.I feel that Sanctuary should be around 40sec and Hallowed Ground - 24sec (with picked trait, of course).Now they are 48sec and 36sec respectively.Wall Of Reflection is not good enough to spend utility slot - how about to add pulsing bleeding effect and make it able to block unblockable ranged attacks.I imagine some kind of magic mirror in that skill - it reflects projectiles, one can cross it, but sharp edges will hurt.Also it will give conditional damage diversity - harder to cleanse broader range of condis.Also, Wall Of Reflection can be used offensively by casting on downed target.

2) Mace's "Symbol Of Fate" - improve casting speed from 1,25sec to 0,75sec.

Hot topic:Guardian's HP pool.Should be same as Warrior's.People might say - it will break balance, but how, say me, a random guy in light/med armour could be tankier than iron-clad guardian?Anyway, devs could try it and roll-back if people dislike it, right? :)

@"Ashimmu.4219" said:1) Swap traits "Zealous Blade" of Zeal and "Radiant Fire" of Radiance.This will allow to finally connect GS trait and the weapon, still having Radiance traitline picked (powerbuilders).

That doesn't really work. Zealous Blade would compete with Retribution, reducing your DPS in PvE(you run both traitlines for any competitive DPS build).If you want more damage in the PvP game modes, I would just put it into GS directly. It's not a great utility weapon so cooldowns are less meaningful.

2) Trait "Inner Fire" of Radiance gives Fury if you hit target with 3stacks of Burning.But condition damage does not crit. Fury bonus has no purpose here and wasted.How about: "Increase condition damage by 150 under effect of Fury"?

150 is quite a lot for an Adept trait but I do agree this tier needs a condi trait. Maybe +100?Should also keep the Fury. It is 1 of only 5 skills/traits on Guardian that give access to Fury. Losing even 1 would be a pretty major nerf, especially since its the most significant one.

3) "Shattered Aegis" of Zeal explodes with physical damage.Keeping in mind that this is a final trait in the line (very powerful), how about to add some Burning and/or Blindness effect to it?Thus, having boosted condition damage/duration it might be attractive.Or.Just make it full Burning, or 50/50% damage split.. etc.

I like Blindness as an idea for this trait. Focusing on utility seems fitting as there's already power and condition options in this trait tier.

4) "Symbolic Avenger" of Zeal is simple +10% to damage.Considering that "Eternal Armoury" is here we need to add meaningful bounus to make it viable.How about to add new effect to "Symbolic Avenger" - uncorruptable fear immunity?It's even good from roleplay perspective - fearless paladin fighting the undead - no shirts given!

Makes no practical difference for PvE. You only run EA on a condi build, for power builds SA is better.Zeal is objectively the worst traitline to run in PvP.

5) "Right-Hand Strength" of Radiance has very insignificant +80 bonus to power/precision along with reduced Sword skills recharge.How about toa) shift power share to precision, which will net us 160 points of precision when wielding Sword;b) add 4sec Retaliation effect to "Sword Wave" (last 3rd strike of autoattack). To boost critchance, since we have to choice between this and "Healer's Retribution".Also, it compliments Guardian's archetype - be defensive (to retaliate - not offend!).

I don't really have an opinion on this. I think it's fine. The old trait was worth 300 Precision when wielding a 1-hand weapon. That's too much even if it's not exactly OP.

6) "Pure Of Voice" of Honour converts conditions on allies into boons.How about to add self-healing effect (something around 600points) per condition converted.If you convert 3 conditions from teammates and yourself combined it will give you 1800hp from single Shout, which is almost in line with Meditation guardian sustain (yet very conditional).It benefits teamfighting most, since more conditions can be removed.It could make Shout guardian playable, finally dropping that omnipresent Meditation traitline.I feel, actual Shouts should be redesigned too, but with more pronounced purpose. Still, I have no propositions atm.

You'd have to redesign shouts and their trait together and figure out what you want them to do. Just copy-pasting the Medi trait feels lazy, even if you put a small spin into it.

7) "Invigorated Bulwark" of Honour and "Focus Mastery" of Valor.First - adds to Mace skills Protection effect (3sec). Including 3rd autoattack skill - Faithful strike.Second replaces Protection bonus with Resistance bonus (with duration toned down, of course).This was from logical point of view - Mace is more 'earthly' thing, and Focus is more 'magical'.

I kinda like this.Although I've been kinda hoping they would swap the Protection from Focus Mastery and Fury from Monk's Focus head to head now that Focus is kind of a DPS weapon rather than defensive.I would settle for either one though.

1) All Consecration skills should have reduced cooldown.Sanctuary and Hallowed Ground are very good attractive skills, but cooldown is the reason why almost no one uses them.I feel that Sanctuary should be around 40sec and Hallowed Ground - 24sec (with picked trait, of course).Now they are 48sec and 36sec respectively.

I think Sanctuary would need to lose its Ward before they could drop its cooldown that low. Which I'd be fine with personally.Purging Flames should pulse Burning and cleanses within its radius, not when crossing the threshold.Hallowed Ground should pulse a bit of damage in addition. Provides a lot of Retaliation even now, it's just not great as a DPS increase other than that.

Wall Of Reflection is not good enough to spend utility slot - how about to add pulsing bleeding effect and make it able to block unblockable ranged attacks.I imagine some kind of magic mirror in that skill - it reflects projectiles, one can cross it, but sharp edges will hurt.Also it will give conditional damage diversity - harder to cleanse broader range of condis.Also, Wall Of Reflection can be used offensively by casting on downed target.

Wall of Reflection is probably the most conditionally/situationally useful skill on the class.In ideal circumstances this skill can do better damage than you can just by itself.Just drop this when an Awakened Archer or an Itzel Shadowleaper starts their Rapid Fire attack, and watch how they kill themselves. :lol:I associate magic mirrors with mesmers more than guardians.

2) Mace's "Symbol Of Fate" - improve casting speed from 1,25sec to 0,75sec.

I would do more. Just compare this to the Axe symbol and you see how vanilla this thing actually is. Almost all the other symbols have some additional value.Lower the base damage by about 20%. Reduce casting time to 1 second. Increase Symbol radius to 240.Knockdown targets in the radius for 1 second.

• 2 weeks later...