What would be Your Cost to Leave GW2 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

What would be Your Cost to Leave GW2

Moving from GW1 to GW2 wasn't that big of a deal (for me at least). I only had time invested. In GW2, I have built up my account and characters to a point that I couldn't easily step away.

It would take much more for me to move from GW2 to GW3 and not take anything with me but a title or two.

I may take this as a sign to quit GW altogether. The company won't fold because of one person, but enough people like me quit and it will hurt their bottom line.

While I don't like the idea of a subscription, if we have to walk away from our GW2 accounts, I would be more for it if the story takes place as the next chapter of Tyria (our current characters included).

"That's what" -- She

<13

Comments

• Psycoprophet.8107Psycoprophet.8107 Member ✭✭✭✭

My cost was ssd space and the thieves guild dlc on eso though Itl be a long time before I totally quit gw2 as I still enjoy a conquest match or two most evenings.

• Astralporing.1957Astralporing.1957 Member ✭✭✭✭

I'd need to be persuaded that GW3 is a good game - better than other alternatives (like FF XIV). Notice, that they would be unlikely to persuade me so if GW3 were still in development and they couldn't show me much. On the other hand, hearing that GW2 is getting abandoned would be enough for me to consider other options.

...see where i am going with it?

The whole point of a social game is to play with the people you want to play with, not be forced to play with the people you don't.

• Vinceman.4572Vinceman.4572 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 9, 2019

I play casually but without paying money anymore so I'm fine stopping right now and to play every new game that seems interesting to me. The next known big thing will be Cyberpunk 2077 as it will be for many gamers. Until that I'm going to hop between games and logging into GW2 to have a chill round of map exploration or something similar

GW3 won't happen with Arenanet so I really don't care about it. My personal doom hypothesis is the one that the overall decrease in quality content will lead to shrinking revenues over the next 1-3 years and finally in the liquidation of GW2 + Arenanet if they don't have anything in their innovation pipeline. Since all projects were cancelled with the layoffs in spring I doubt that they'll have a surprise for the market.

R.I.P. Build Templates, 15.10.2019

• Pterikdactyl.7630Pterikdactyl.7630 Member ✭✭✭✭

A better alternative. Or if ANet makes a Scourge- or Chrono-like rework for Revenant.

• Frankly there are many systems both directly gameplay related and auxiliary to those systems (like the gemstore) that are headed in directions I do not enjoy. The model of living world leading into Expansion were my ideal method of delivery, but PoF was not as strong as HoT, and even HoT struggled in parts due to a rush to cobble something meaningful together. I have never in my life scrutinized Anets ability to deliver a good product more than I do now.

It's a shame because there are many things I enjoy from this game, but I feel like the NCsoft squeeze is hitting them hard and however much they have to pay to them as publishers is hurting their ability to hire.

Not to mention project management issues...

It's just... it feels like meaningful changes take forever to hit live status. That's what sucks the most.

Potential requires action in order to be realized.

• Taygus.4571Taygus.4571 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Randulf.7614 said:

@Taygus.4571 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:
    Them shutting down the servers

This... I'm here until they kill they servers and I have no choice. I will likely not play another mmo after gw2.

I play other mmos and other games. I’ve been on a break from one for years. Never really understood the “I’m leaving” sentiment when u you can jump in and out of for free whilst the servers exist.

If they did kill it, I’m sure I’ll find others

Just a personal matter......gw2 is my first mmo, and its most likely to be my last.

• Jethro.9376Jethro.9376 Member ✭✭✭

Decent combat in another MMO.

• I'll keep playing and taking breaks from the game for as long as it is around. That said, I stopped buying gems after the Skyscale came out. Maybe I'll start again if I eventually get my Skyscale.

• Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 9, 2019

Either the introduction of a mandatory subscription or me getting bored with the game.

I don't deliberately quit games, but I don't deliberately stick with them either. Whenever I have free time I decide what I want to do with it and then do that. Sometimes I'll play one particular game every day for a few weeks or months, sometimes I won't touch it for years then come back to it, but it always comes down to what I feel like doing at the time.

What I've spent on a game isn't really a factor, partially because it's not an absolute decision. If I choose not to play a game I'm not saying I'll never touch it again and all the money I spent on it is now wasted (or even money I spent fairly recently), just that I'm not going to play it now. I have every intention of coming back to it at some point. And if I'm playing less I'm also less likely to buy new stuff for that game, so I'm unlikely to buy something just before a long break.

(The mandatory subscription scenario is obviously an exception to that, but I also think it's highly unlikely. That payment model just doesn't work for me because, on top of the process I just described of never committing to a specific game for a period of time, my life is pretty unpredictable and I never know more than a few days out how much time I'll have so with a subscription I can easily end up paying for time I never get to use, and then when I can play I feel under pressure to make the most of it so I'm not wasting more money. I end up feeling like I'm forcing myself to play and not enjoying it. I much prefer games where I just don't have to worry about that and since there's so many of them it's easy for me to avoid the ones with a subscription.)

Danielle Aurorel - Desolation EU. Mini Collector.

"Not dead which eternal lie, stranger eons death may die. Drain you of your sanity, face the thing that should not be"

• Obtena.7952Obtena.7952 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 9, 2019

Just not wanting to log in ... but GW2 is smart ... they made the business so people can 'leave' ... and then come back. People do need ot understand this though ... everything you have put into an MMO will eventually be nothing.

If you think balancing is only driven by performance and justified by comparisons to other classes then prepare to be educated:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/balance-updates-the-heralds-near-future-and-pvp-league-season-13/

• Obtena.7952Obtena.7952 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 9, 2019

@Danikat.8537 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:
    Just not wanting to log in ... but GW2 is smart ... they made the business so people can 'leave' ... and then come back. People do need ot understand this though ... everything you have put into an MMO will eventually be nothing.

The same is true of most things people do for fun though. I just came back from seeing Metallica & the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra's S&M2 show at the cinema (sadly couldn't be there for the actual show) and I've got absolutely nothing to show for it. But I've been talking about it with my friends ever since it finished, discussing our favourite songs, times we've seen the band live, our hopes for an album/DVD release etc. Plus I really enjoyed it while it was happening, so that alone is worth the cost of the ticket.

The same is true for GW2. I know of course that sooner or later something will happen and everything I've put into the game will be gone. But I've enjoyed playing it (and hopefully will continue to enjoy it), so whenever that happens I'm not going to regret it.

Yeah, it's true that's really quite dependent on what you do for fun ... I mean, some day, GW2 will not exist and I will have nothing to show for the thousands of hours I played it.

On the other hand, I have LOTS of other hobbies that only develop my skills and result in tangible things I can make or do. Those don't go poof. I could choose to do these ones 100% of the time, but I don't. I play GW2 as well, knowing full well that I get nothing but pure entertainment from it. No regrets ... at least not right now.

If you think balancing is only driven by performance and justified by comparisons to other classes then prepare to be educated:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/balance-updates-the-heralds-near-future-and-pvp-league-season-13/

• For me it isn't about what will make me leave. I've spent so much money on gems on black lion loot boxes and cosmetics that leaving now would make the amount of money I've spent even more painfully obvious and shameful.

I definitely feel the water boiling on build templates though. Mount unlocks definitely felt strongly like gambling, even after the hiked price of the selectors came in "the roll a dice option is 3 times as cheap!".

The gem store has always, always been the very worst thing about the game and other games in general. Cosmetics aren't just 'optional'. Especially not when skins are a huge part of the incentive for playing.

• Zaklex.6308Zaklex.6308 Member ✭✭✭✭

It's entertainment, pure and simple...if I find it a lot more enjoyable than TV, movies or many other forms of entertainment...so I play, I also walk away and play other games when ever I feel like it. It's not that hard to be playing 5 or 6 "main" games at the same time, they're all entertainment...and in most cases more entertaining than most people I know.

Yes...no...maybe...what do you want, can't you see I'm busy saving the world...AGAIN!

• Dante.1508Dante.1508 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 10, 2019

I wouldn't go to another mmo after this one (if it went away) these things require far too much money on upkeep.. So if the game closed it would actually do me a favor in the long run.

This is the last mmo i plan on playing as these things are too grindy and expensive these days.

• Brother.1504Brother.1504 Member ✭✭✭✭

I would quit playing gw2 once it stops entertaining me. Btw, it’s happened twice since beta but I always end up coming back.

• I think for me, I have been trying to quit the game but I cant bring my self to

GW2 is taking up too much of my time in life but when I get home from work it's all I want to do

So I guess I'll be quitting when I allow my self to lol

• Like a lot of people have already said here, only if they kill the servers.

I'm still playing GW1 as well as... and am right now.
    This game helped me in a critical time, so it means a lot to me; as it was the only thing that could truly distract me from a very, very bad episode in my life.

I absolutely love this game; gw1and 2.

But if I had to stop playing, I would never ever play another mmo ever again.

I've got a collection of hundreds of games for playstation, etc... that have gathered a lot of dust.
    Final Fantasy 12 for instance, which is very similar to GW.

So that'd be the end of mmos for me.

• Situation in pvp like now (since pof, or even hot)
    • stupid anti teef implementation in wvw like marked&reveal ... and mounts...

Bey bey After 7 years gw2 and 5 years gw1 ...

Never ever anet again

• maddoctor.2738maddoctor.2738 Member ✭✭✭✭

Funny thing about GW1 and GW2 is that you can leave any time you find the games boring and then come back months later and have a metric ton of content to do. This is what I do. That way I won't technically completely leave the game, but temporarily quit for a period of time. It works wonders

• Dami.5046Dami.5046 Member ✭✭✭✭

I Love love love love Guildwars.
    However, since It's not worth waiting to see if cantha will ever be in GW2, I'm excited to see what the next living world/saga will be and then My eyes will be seeing what manaworks are doing.

• Dalec.9853Dalec.9853 Member ✭✭✭

At >10k hours (and I'd regret checking how much money exactly spent) in the game I'd feel like a lot is being 'thrown away' and lost to leave the game, even though logically it wouldn't make sense to stick around and continue just because of the previous time and money spent in it so that's how I'm going to see it.

With the current direction of the game the answer is nothing as the old time of the game being fun still happened it wouldn't disappear on leaving, and if the future of the game looks bad then there's no cost of 'missing out' on something I dislike and the game is easy enough to return to that if things did change a break wouldn't matter too much.

And as focus of the game seems to be adding short story and a bunch of AFK timers waiting for events every 3+months with the rest of the game abandoned, a GW3 would have to be very different (or much more like earlier GW2) to consider. For now I'm playing as ArenaNet seem to intend - little.

We’re looking forward to getting it into your hands so we can hear your feedback wallet opening and continue to build on drain it - Mike O'Transactions

• Long time lore junkie and fashion fanatic. Seeing the changes from gw to gw2 was incredible.

But a monthly sub would be the toughest for me. Doable but not sure I’d stick it out more than occasionally.

I’ll miss Tyria for sure. Just like lotro, which I did sub for a good while.

New lotro in the making. Idk if I should be excited or not.

• zealex.9410zealex.9410 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 10, 2019

The box price and/or sub to play a better game. Extra points if that game is made by anet and is gw3 or gw1.5

• @kharmin.7683 said:
    Any form of subscription would see me leave.

[EDIT] Don't everyone applaud at once.

I strongly agree with your statement. Any game that charges a monthly fee would be the cause of my leave. I think once you buy a game, you shouldn't have to keep paying for it. There's a reason why I quit visiting Arcades in the 90's and spending stupid amounts of money on those big machines that cost 75 cents to a whole dollar to play on.

I do see reason and agree to pay for Add on Content or Expansions, I can see the logic in that. But I absolutely refuse to re-buy a game every month. Some games will give the option of paying for a month, or the whole year just to play. But I just feel like that's the legal doctrine of _road side robbery.
    _ and that is something I cannot tolerate as a gamer myself. I feel strongly against it.

• Curunen.8729Curunen.8729 Member ✭✭✭✭

Losing my account/character.

No way I'd ever start from scratch again if something like that happened.

My ears, how are you! | Kourna Jackrabbit for default Springer

• @doogal.9368 said:
    I’ll miss Tyria for sure. Just like lotro, which I did sub for a good while.

What made you leave? My breaking point was that What the Steward Saw instance and by the time I was on the eagles with Gandalf my immersion was completely gone. Pity because everything between Moria and Gondor was golden.

• Zok.4956Zok.4956 Member ✭✭✭

@Game of Bones.8975 said:
    What would be Your Cost to Leave GW2

If playing GW2 would not be fun anymore, and I would not care anymore about the game, I would stop playing the game.
    However: GW2 is a game where stop playing the game does not automatically mean leaving the game completely, because the accounts will continue to exist.

https://www.gw2gh.com/ - A GW2-Guild-Hall.
    Register and check your guild leaderboard to see who is the best in your guild and who finished achievements first.

• Neural.1824Neural.1824 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Rauderi.8706 said:
    My 'cost' for leaving was XIV. Much better feeling of reward, accomplishment, and mastery than GW2 is willing to give me.
    Not that I've "left" GW2, but I'm down to logging in every other day, because even the log-in rewards are just kinda meh except for the days when the big-money Mystic Coins show up.

Same. Once a friend convinced me to try out XIV, it was a done deal. Only log in here to help friends with a quest here and there.

Soul-binding needs to be allowed to die gracefully. It has expired. It is long past it's time to become a footnote in the history of gaming.

• Trise.2865Trise.2865 Member ✭✭✭✭

Are we making offers? I'll take $1, doubled every week for a year.

If we want ANet to step up their game, then we must step up ours.

• Excursion.9752Excursion.9752 Member ✭✭✭

My account value on gw2efficiency. Take the gold amount exchange into gems turn into dollars then a 10% markup. Time is money!

There is a 50% chance you will not agree with me and a 50% chance I will not agree with you

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.