Clone and phantasm appearance - as the enemy instead?

Curunen.8729

I'm sure someone else must have posted this suggestion in the past, but just a thought:

What if in pvp and wvw, clones and phantasms took the form of the enemy player they are targeted on rather than yourself? Target swap via any means could refresh the models to the new target?

Npcs (eg keep lords) could still have them looking like you the player, and also in pve - mainly because I'm thinking about scaling with huge models for things like pve bosses etc.

Thinking this as they are meant to be in the target's mind, and also it may alleviate the usual moaning about illusions - when the player will be looking completely different and illusions all look like you instead (the player fighting against the mesmer).

Any issues I've not considered (probably a lot)?

For the record I don't care either way, just thinking if this may be an improvement to the game or not.

First... Whats gained by doing this?

Secondly.... it removes the one benefit Clones have in PvP, in that a Mesmer can hide among its illusions as a misdirection. It also has a compounding effect with Confusion, which is meant to punish wild blows. Changing clones to look like the target means a simple process of elimination is all thats needed to counter them.

Third... Thematically it runs counter to the lore flavor of point 2, since what makes Memser most dangerous is an inability to pin them down, and how they can outnumber you in a 1v1 fight.

What you're suggesting has all the problems of Spys in TF2, but none of the benefits. Spies look like an ally, but it'll never fool the person they're mimicking (for obvious reasons). Other enemies will still see red names... so they don't care what the target looks like, so long as tab targeting works on them. Same goes for the target the clones are mimicking, since the Red name is all thats needed to give them away.

Yes every now and then I get some hare-brained ideas and on reflection should let this one die.

Especially because visually I like clones looking like my character.

Possibly on a new elite spec that turns the entire thing on its head, this could be some kind of feature, but otherwise I agree that this should not be a thing at all.

I'd rather delete this thread tbh, but if any mod reading this please close as I don't want to perpetuate this train of thought any further. :)